Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Waterfall of Salt posted:

That is exactly what's going on in Japan, yeah.

No, handhelds are in far more direct danger of the smartphone market eclipsing them than any threat the home console market is facing except maybe sheer audience apathy but that's not really happening either.

On topic in regards to Mega Man: I wouldn't even mind that much if they'd simply let the series die quietly and just stopped making new games, but the MML3 debacle happened and I know Inafune bears a huge chunk of the blame too so gently caress him and Capcom both for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterfall of Salt posted:

That is exactly what's going on in Japan, yeah.

No, handhelds are also fading in Japan. Smartphones are replacing them. (and we already have at least one Mega Man smartphone game coming up in addition to stuff like the crossover game or the MMX port.)

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
Thriving might be the wrong word, but the handheld market is still very much dominating in Japan. No home console managed to break a million in 2014 sales, while the 3ds sold three million and even the Vita sold 1.1 million.

Handhelds are dying, but I definitely see them outlasting home consoles in Japan

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

If Mega Man is going to be successful ever again, Capcom would have to do a huge reboot and change things up in a huge way. Put a budget into it, hype it up, and maybe try to get people excited just because there hasn't BEEN a Mega Man game in years and he's finally back. Make it a colorful 3D platformer \ shooter, put it on a Nintendo console, get Nintendo involved and get the Nintendo loyals interested in it, and then you MIGHT have a MODERATE success. Mega Man was never big and likely never will be.

they already tried this once with megaman powered up when the psp first came out, and if I recall that unfortunately didnt do well either (its a great game, but it didnt really sell). That said, with how small a deal megaman is to capcom compared to thier other series, I would have a hard time imagining why they'd go through the trouble of putting him in smash with an updated look, unless they wanted to try to spin that off into a new game since it worked with Kid Icarus Uprising.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

JustJeff88 posted:

Edit: I still think that Capcom could make a fuckton selling a (3)DS compilation of Mega Man 1-6 and 9 & 10 with DLC. It would be minimal effort and cost, and the proportional profit would be impressive. I know that I left out 7 and 8, but those are not 8-bit offerings and getting the 8-bit versions from that Japanese chap who made them (and putting the admittedly small amount of text into English) would be legal hell and drive up their costs.

1-6 and the Game Boy / Game Boy Color games are already available in the 3DS eShop and I've seen no reason to believe that the profit there has been "impressive" in the slightest.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Tengames posted:

they already tried this once with megaman powered up when the psp first came out, and if I recall that unfortunately didnt do well either (its a great game, but it didnt really sell). That said, with how small a deal megaman is to capcom compared to thier other series, I would have a hard time imagining why they'd go through the trouble of putting him in smash with an updated look, unless they wanted to try to spin that off into a new game since it worked with Kid Icarus Uprising.

Because Capcom didn't put him in Smash, Nintendo did. I mean, yeah, Capcom had to agree to it, obviously, but Nintendo/Namco did all the nice designing work and everything. Capcom just signed a form saying they could use the character and IP and sat back collecting whatever cut they got for it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The Megaman franchise should be given to Nintendo so they can make Sakurai do Megaman games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people incorrectly assume Capcom hates Mega Man and wants to kill it. They don't. I'm sure if they thought it was profitable they'd be milking the poo poo out of it. They have a ton of other IPs they're similarly sitting on because they're just not very successful compared to devoted manpower and resources to their big successful franchises.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ImpAtom posted:

I think people incorrectly assume Capcom hates Mega Man and wants to kill it. They don't. I'm sure if they thought it was profitable they'd be milking the poo poo out of it. They have a ton of other IPs they're similarly sitting on because they're just not very successful compared to devoted manpower and resources to their big successful franchises.

Yeah. It's the business honestly. The industry has gotten big, bloated and risk-averse like Hollywood. Actual fun video games that are games and not interactive movies are a dying breed, sadly. Nintendo's still keeping it going, but old fuddie duddies like me don't really have a place in the new era of mainstream video games. Times are a-changin'.

I'm less mad about this as you would think, though. Good, fun games still do trickle out every once and a while and there's plenty of old games I need to play still. If they never made any more, I'd still have enough games from today till I die.

Mega Man might be done, but he had a really good run. And if he ever comes back, it'll make it that much sweeter. I literally jumped for joy when I first saw the trailer to Mega Man 9. I had waited a decade for it. Mega Man 10 didn't excite me as much.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ometeotl posted:

Because Capcom didn't put him in Smash, Nintendo did. I mean, yeah, Capcom had to agree to it, obviously, but Nintendo/Namco did all the nice designing work and everything. Capcom just signed a form saying they could use the character and IP and sat back collecting whatever cut they got for it.
I mean, they also have to approve of Mega Man's design and all that. Literally everything from animations to move sets and all of that has to be approved by Capcom.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Ometeotl posted:

Thats the beauty of it: nintendo does all the work, capcom gets a new character design and a check to see how popular he is. Heck i think the first conquest when the game was out in the U.S. was a megaman vs mario popuarity contest, with it being a 48/52% split(mario the winner) in the US.(and a much lower 32/68 split in japan)

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Voxx posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqMtNj0ekw

MMX:Corrupted video update. Progress is good, maybe it won't go vapor.

Just a FYI, there's a bunch more videos on his Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/JKBGames along with far more frequent progress updates.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. It's the business honestly. The industry has gotten big, bloated and risk-averse like Hollywood. Actual fun video games that are games and not interactive movies are a dying breed, sadly. Nintendo's still keeping it going, but old fuddie duddies like me don't really have a place in the new era of mainstream video games. Times are a-changin'.

I'm less mad about this as you would think, though. Good, fun games still do trickle out every once and a while and there's plenty of old games I need to play still. If they never made any more, I'd still have enough games from today till I die.

Capcom's biggest franchise right now is Monster Hunter and that's absolutely a traditional gamey game.

Of course, then money they made from MH4 went into starting a huge smartphone dev divisions so, uh.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
To be honest I'm not even sure I want Megaman to be alive in the new Capcom

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I really don't mind that - I love well done DLC. Give me an extra campaign a couple of months after the game comes out and I'll eat that poo poo up. I'm guessing that's the plan with RE: Rev2, with it's episodic installments.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I really don't mind that - I love well done DLC.

You're not getting well done DLC from Cap"on-the-disc"com.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Nevermind

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TaurusOxford posted:

You're not getting well done DLC from Cap"on-the-disc"com.

I liked the re5 dlc. It was fun.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I liked the re5 dlc. It was fun.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. Mercenaries Reunion was fun and Lost in Nightmares was cool.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Capcom's biggest franchise right now is Monster Hunter and that's absolutely a traditional gamey game.

Of course, then money they made from MH4 went into starting a huge smartphone dev divisions so, uh.

Plus, Monster Hunter is only big in Japan. The game is super, SUPER niche on the other side of the pacific. The same applies to Dynasty Warriors and Dragon Warrior.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Literally give us a single Mega Man game that is constantly added upon with DLC. Basically, an endless Mega Man with constant expansion packs. It'll be perfect.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Takoluka posted:

Literally give us a single Mega Man game that is constantly added upon with DLC. Basically, an endless Mega Man with constant expansion packs. It'll be perfect.
Upon release, the game has a whopping two Robot Masters, each additional Robot Master is DLC.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Takoluka posted:

That was Mega Man 1.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would happily play a game where they had all of the 8-bit robot masters, though some of them could use better AI and attack patterns, and you just fought them. Other than brushing up the AI, they could shuffle the weaknesses or even make them random each time you played. You could have Ironman mode (how many bosses can you kill before you die?), time attack, fight 2 at once... I'd enjoy the hell out of that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

JustJeff88 posted:

I would happily play a game where they had all of the 8-bit robot masters, though some of them could use better AI and attack patterns, and you just fought them. Other than brushing up the AI, they could shuffle the weaknesses or even make them random each time you played. You could have Ironman mode (how many bosses can you kill before you die?), time attack, fight 2 at once... I'd enjoy the hell out of that.

So, a Wily Wars?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

So, a Wily Wars?

Give me Wily Wars for Mega Man 1-10. Put 7 and 8 into the 8-bit style, let Mega Man charge and slide in 10, and let you use any weapon in any game. Protoman and Bass playable in 1-8. If Capcom ever makes another Mega Man game ever again, this is what I want. Then they can stop making them forever and I'll still be happy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Gammatron 64 posted:

Give me Wily Wars for Mega Man 1-10. Put 7 and 8 into the 8-bit style, let Mega Man charge and slide in 10, and let you use any weapon in any game. Protoman and Bass playable in 1-8. If Capcom ever makes another Mega Man game ever again, this is what I want. Then they can stop making them forever and I'll still be happy.

Will never happen, but I would literally pay $100 for this game. Not kidding in the slightest.

Edit: I would want Bass playable in 9 as well as 1-8 (he was in 10), and make it so that, in 7-10 where there are shops, any character can use the shop. I never played Protoman in 9 because he takes huge damage from everything and can't buy E-tanks. I'm not good enough to finish a game with that kind of handicap, and I don't care to learn.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

So, a Wily Wars?

I'd take a Wily Wars version of the X games. Let me fight two Black Devils at once, it'll be fun as hell. Hell, for BN and Zero too, double Omega fight and double BassDX.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

Will never happen, but I would literally pay $100 for this game. Not kidding in the slightest.

I would too. Seriously. Also release it again whenever there's a new console generation.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Does anybody know what happened to Rockman 6 Innocent? Is it still under development?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Takoluka posted:

I have a feeling if Mega Man Universe ever came out it was gonna be loaded with DLC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

I have a feeling if Mega Man Universe ever came out it was gonna be loaded with DLC.

That was the intention, yes. They were really open about that from the start. The idea was to release and then support it with DLC characters, stage options, ect.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be honest I'm not even sure I want Megaman to be alive in the new Capcom

I'm sad but I realized it would be smart to listen to business plans from Capcom.

Riots where its at.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

megaman would work great as a hunter game. kill the robot master/wily super weapon, get a new power/costume, repeat.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So if Mega Man was never a big seller, why did they make so many of them? It's really odd that it was apparently just Inafune that backed the series, since I've always heard of him as "The Mega Man guy". If he's known for backing such an unpopular series, why would he have such power in Capcom?

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Mega Man games were probably easy to make back in the day too, considered that they had them coming out in the same year, I believe. 1-5 can be easily mistaken for one-another if you aren't a hardcore fan, and it was probably a similar case with X and Battle Network. This is all coming out of my rear end, by the way.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Momomo posted:

So if Mega Man was never a big seller, why did they make so many of them?

Low development costs. He was also the mascot, even if he didn't sell that well, so he got lots of spinoffs and probably benefited from "hmm this new IP isn't working, let's replace the characters with some other franchise's".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Momomo posted:

So if Mega Man was never a big seller, why did they make so many of them? It's really odd that it was apparently just Inafune that backed the series, since I've always heard of him as "The Mega Man guy". If he's known for backing such an unpopular series, why would he have such power in Capcom?

It wasn't a big seller in terms of sheer numbers, especially when compared to what successful games do (or need to do) nowadays, but it was definitely a successful game in its day and the fact that they were able to crank out so many so quickly made it very profitable. Noone's trying to suggest it was an obscure series or anything, it's just that people assume it and other franchises from that time were more popular or ubiquitous than they actually were.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

What was the most widely owned console ever? I feel like when I was a kid not many people actually owned an NES, compared to say, the playstation 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The PC. :v: