Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aphrodite posted:

Sherlock is a really unappealing character.

House was a total shitlord and everybody loved him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aspie love :pervert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Isn't Sherlock (let's just say Cumberbatch or Miller's versions, the most recent and 'modern') just a loving sociopath?

Someone can come and correct me if they wish, but last I checked sociopaths can possibly make emotional attachments/have empathy, but they have to work harder at it or something?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think Miller's version became broken and addicted to drugs after the Irene Adler/Moriarty fiasco. So he has feelings.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

cool kids inc. posted:

This has been edited to include the proper version of Carry on Wayward Son at the end which means it's missing much of the charm of the original, which had JAPANESE POORLY SPOKEN Carry on my Wayward Son. It was pretty ingenious and I'm sad it's missing.
Is this better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4tc8Do5wQA
*ORIGINAL* Japanese Voices

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcqP1Yj_JVo
Carry On My Wayward Son Japanese Cover

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sober posted:

Isn't Sherlock (let's just say Cumberbatch or Miller's versions, the most recent and 'modern') just a loving sociopath?

Someone can come and correct me if they wish, but last I checked sociopaths can possibly make emotional attachments/have empathy, but they have to work harder at it or something?

Well Cumberbatch is just the Doctor but with an excuse to be an even bigger smug dick to everyone so it's kind of hard to say whether or not he actually has human qualities/feelings. Miller's version though at this point has gone through a lot of change and they've shown that he is capable of truly caring for people, it's just a combination of him usually not wanting to and it taking a lot of effort/respect from him.

On a related note, Elementary is really drat good. They introduced a rape/kidnapping victim this season as a major character and have managed to handle her past with a lot of maturity and nuance that you probably wouldn't expect from a procedural on CBS. All while still showing one of the realest looks at addiction/rehab via Sherlock and what he's going through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuTCG4Rmsm8

I don't shill too hard for Elementary because ultimately it is just the "impossibly witty guy solves crimes" formula, but the character development and the personal moments on that show are really fantastic so if anyone's got a weekend to kill and is looking for a show, maybe give it a shot.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

VDay posted:

Well Cumberbatch is just the Doctor but with an excuse to be an even bigger smug dick to everyone so it's kind of hard to say whether or not he actually has human qualities/feelings.
I don't know, there have been a bunch of Doctors who weren't remotely sociopathic (especially Tennant and Smith, of the recent lot).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Miller's version became broken and addicted to drugs after the Irene Adler/Moriarty fiasco. So he has feelings.

In Sherlock he specifically mentions in one episode (I believe the first one actually) that he is a high functioning sociopath.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Flash just aired an episode with a blatant reference to the goatse image. The CW is knocking it out of the park.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pentyne posted:

The Flash just aired an episode with a blatant reference to the goatse image. The CW is knocking it out of the park.

Wait, what? I must have missed that reference.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sober posted:

clearly intentional

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Hah! Even got the ring.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I dunno that seems like kind of a stretch.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Spatula City posted:

This is all a long way of saying that it's really loving simple understanding why women find men like Cumberbatch attractive, not some sort of complex problem of the kind only Sherlock could solve.

I'm a girl and Butterscotch Candysnack still looks goofy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

VDay posted:

I dunno that seems like kind of a stretch.

It's a loose interpretation,

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a coincidence, you giant assholes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Wow dude, no reason to be so butthurt about it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

xeria posted:

^^

I'd also take Miller's Sherlock over Cumberbatch's any day, as well as... the entire rest of the Elementary cast. The mysteries of the week can often be pretty mundane (with occasional really great ones) but the way Elementary handles all of the characters and the situations they're in, and interpersonal dynamics is amazing. Watson, Gregson and other characters don't allow Sherlock the get away with being an rear end in a top hat, which is really refreshing. All the tertiary characters are fantastic and Elementary's Moriarty is my favorite in any Holmes interpretation ever.

Also, there's a turtle.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 28, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Yeah I'm making my way through Elementary s2 right now after kinda stopping but it's more fun to watch their version of Holmes/Watson. I guess I should be considered gross for still liking Moffat's version at times, but yeah, in comparion, BBC Sherlock is just a giant super douche that's not fun to be around and it's only funny because of that.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

xeria posted:

I never disputed that. I was in fact suggesting his appeal is not really about his appearance at all, but rather something about his demeanor, or rather about the demeanor of the character he plays very well, because the actual Benjamin Cobblepot seems like just kind of a boring normal guy if you watch his interviews.

also I haven't watched beyond the first few episodes of season 2, but Elementary has a way more interesting reinterpretation of Holmes than Sherlock. The British series is pretty much just a modern, tech'd up version with Holmes's rear end in a top hat characteristics jacked up to 11. He is a weirdo superhuman sociopath. And the Holmes-Watson relationship is actual pretty drat similar to the original stories, except for some omg are they gay? isn't that funny? WAIT NO NO HOMO NO HOMO! Also it's a little regressive in terms of its view of women (even Joss Whedon would have a hard time stomaching the proposition that that Irene Adler was a good female character)
By contrast, Elementary does the radical move of recasting Sherlock Holmes as a human being, and then is also fairly gender-progressive. It makes Watson a woman AND eventually Holmes's equal and necessary partner. It has a better Irene Adler, for sure.

Spatula City fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 28, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worst post ever

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Spatula City posted:

Also it's a little regressive in terms of its view of women (even Joss Whedon would have a hard time stomaching the proposition that that Irene Adler was a good female character)

Well, that's Moffat for you. He's said that the only reason she 'bettered' Sherlock in the original novels is because she could resist loving him when both of them wanted it. The true power of a woman, for Moffat, is their ability to deny their vagina to people, and in both Sherlock and Doctor Who they loose that power when they give their vagina away (Clara, Irene) or have it taken (Amy).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think at this stage it would be prudent to point out that "goofy looking" or "alien-like" is not necessarily synonymous with "unattractive", due to attractiveness being entirely subjective.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Who they loose that power when they give their vagina away (Clara, Irene) or have it taken (Amy).

Well, no one likes a loose vagina.

Annakie posted:

Also, there's a turtle.

Kinda hard to get excited over what is essentially a walking rock.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It's a genuine career role. It probably also helps that they, apparently, became incredibly good friends. Who wouldn't stay with a job paying TV lead actor money if you got to hang out with you close friends all day and make fun of you fans on-screen? Padalecki even met his wife on the programme... to me it seems like the definition of a dream job.

It helps that both the Supernatural brothers started working on soaps, with the occasional Gilmore Girls appearance or cheap slasher movies. They've gone from soap opera paycheck to paycheck to having a steady paycheck. They're not getting Seinfeld paychecks, but they're still getting steady work, which is why Jensen Ackles was happy to proclaim that he wants to beat "Gunsmoke" for length. .

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

PriorMarcus posted:

Well, that's Moffat for you. He's said that the only reason she 'bettered' Sherlock in the original novels is because she could resist loving him when both of them wanted it. The true power of a woman, for Moffat, is their ability to deny their vagina to people, and in both Sherlock and Doctor Who they loose that power when they give their vagina away (Clara, Irene) or have it taken (Amy).

Moffat seems to equate female empowerment with being overtly sexual. There's nothing stronger in his world than a horny woman who's in charge. But it fits into his weird worldview of Sherlock and Who, in that smart people are brilliant and we should tolerate whatever behaviour because they're just so great. Watson seems only to exist because he is happy in this weirdly abusive relationship. Elementary presents it as Joan making a conscious choice because she's found something that she's good at and it's something that interests her.

I know Sherlock is a lot more limited in time, but it's occasionally insufferable about how 'smart' it is. And given that out of 9 episodes like 3 are good, it's a pretty poor rate.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Anyone who's not watching Season 2 of Danger 5 needs to rectify their mistake immediately.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/danger-5

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Kinda hard to get excited over what is essentially a walking rock.

Now you've gone too far...

DrVenkman posted:

Moffat seems to equate female empowerment with being overtly sexual. There's nothing stronger in his world than a horny woman who's in charge.

Men are also super uncomfortable with women who exert their sexuality strongly, as evidenced here. Men are constantly horny and in charge but this is never commented on because it's expected.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SmokinDan posted:

Anyone who's not watching Season 2 of Danger 5 needs to rectify their mistake immediately.

http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/danger-5

Already watched the second episode and it was frankly amazing. I was shaking my head at some of it it was so good.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

thrakkorzog posted:

It helps that both the Supernatural brothers started working on soaps, with the occasional Gilmore Girls appearance or cheap slasher movies. They've gone from soap opera paycheck to paycheck to having a steady paycheck. They're not getting Seinfeld paychecks, but they're still getting steady work, which is why Jensen Ackles was happy to proclaim that he wants to beat "Gunsmoke" for length. .

By this point Supernatual is their career, and they don't want to retire anytime soon.

They and the network said the show will keep going until the ratings drop or the lead actors are no longer capable of the job. Given the insane dedication of the fan base unless a harsh winter/flu season kills off a bunch of them Supernatural could run another 5-10 years. Ackles is 36 and still looks almost the same as the early seasons. Unless he hits 40 and instantly ages 10 years he can still do the show well into his 40s. Right now they're still dealing with season-to-season renewal rather then getting multi-season renewals, but if season 10/11 maintains CW's expectations I don't see why they just won't do another 2 year renewal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Part of it too is that they all live in Vancouver. It's not like X-Files where the leads lived in LA or Stargate.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Supernatural is still doing well enough that they tried to make a spinoff last year. Granted it never made it past being a backdoor pilot episode in season 9.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Annakie posted:

I'd also take Miller's Sherlock over Cumberbatch's any day, as well as... the entire rest of the Elementary cast.

All of this discussion is academic since we all know that Jeremy Brett is the best television Sherlock.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, poo poo, the Dean's evil clone is up to his old tricks again

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2015/01/27/actor-in-ctv-sitcom-charged-with-voyeurism.html

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GreenNight posted:

Part of it too is that they all live in Vancouver. It's not like X-Files where the leads lived in LA or Stargate.

Gillian Anderson lived in Stargate?!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

ShakeZula posted:

Gillian Anderson lived in Stargate?!

Yeah, that's how I read it too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Bad sentence structure. RDA (Jack) lived in LA and got tired of being away from his daughter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GreenNight posted:

Bad sentence structure. RDA (Jack) lived in LA and got tired of being away from his daughter.

Classic Canadian tv filming mistake. Big name actors have other lives and aren't willing to completely relocate their lives to Vancouver.

RDA probably didn't expect SG1 to last 10 seasons though, and by season 8 he was loving done.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 28, 2015

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
8 seasons is a long loving tv show, lets me honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seven seasons seems to be the ultimate limit for a TV show to remain good. Are there any shows that have turned in their best seasons in 8+?

• Locked thread