Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you stop everyone becoming Jedi in those RPG systems? or in the case of KOTOR2 make everyone Force sensitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

oohhboy posted:

How do you stop everyone becoming Jedi in those RPG systems? or in the case of KOTOR2 make everyone Force sensitive.

In a good system, there will be strong enough niche protection that the Jedi doesn't trivialize the contributions of the soundrel pilot and the armored trooper with the heavy repeating blaster. He does awesome Jedi stuff, but he can't quite replicate their underworld connections or ability to throw out a hail of blaster fire or whatever.

In a bad system, a really good GM can try to make sure everyone gets equal "camera time" but give them all something to do commensurate with their abilities. Think of like last act of Episode I. Padme and Captain Pandakana would have been useless in the Jedi duel, but they got the drop on the Nemoidian dudes. Annikan would have been out of place either weilding a blaster to take back the palace or trying to fight Maul, but in a starfighter he turns the tide of the battle (though it was poo poo tier writing to have him do so literally by accident.) But that's a lot of effort to do every single session, so hopefully the system does it somewhat for you.

The third option is of course just have all-jedi/no-jedi be part of the buy-in at the table. "Okay, this is a Clone Wars game where everyone gets to be a crazy awesome Jedi killing people with lightsabers" or "Okay, this is a Fringe game set during the Rebellion Era where you're all smugglers trying not to cross the big syndicates, pay back your underworld patron, and stay under the radar of the Empire."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Edge of the Empire has everyone pick talent trees to go down to get abilities and special class stuff. You can just buy any talent tree if you got the xp to spend. A force sensitive needs to take a force sensitive talent tree and every force power itself is a whole separate tree that lets you use and make the power stronger (basic powers being Move, Sense and Influence). The power of the force in it is about what Luke can do during the Empire Strikes Back for the most part. Minor stuff that is very useful but still depends on the jedi's allies to help him through.

This means the jedi user will generally be crappy at their basic tree since they are probably spending xp on the force stuff while everyone else will be really good at their basic stuff. A killing machine Bounty Hunter, an expert hacker Technician and a ace pilot Smuggler along with someone who is decent with a blaster pistol and some minor skills but also can move small objects around and do some basic mind control on weak willed people in an emergency. Given the era you also need to worry about the Empire hunting you down so it makes pulling out the force feel special.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Otisburg posted:

Think of like last act of Episode I.

It's funny because, if that scene were played out on the tabletop, all the players would have jumped the sith and wasted him in like half of a single round. You'd have all the characters blasting away at him -- that means Padme, Panaka, R2, Anakin, and Jar-Jar because "don't split the party" is like rule one of those games -- and they'd probably kill him before Jinn, Kenobi, or Maul even get their turns. And then they'd continue on (after looting his double-bladed lightsaber) like it was no thing because it was literally a six second fight for those characters. Even if you threw Maul in with like a couple droids, who are they going to gun: a couple of non-threats or the big bad actual threat?

I mean, even if they did play along, how worthless would you feel being "the guy who beat the meek, weak, cowardly Asian-stereotypes" or "the guy who bravely fought worthless toy robots" when your buddy is "the guy who took down the badass sithlord (who looked like a devil guy and had cool tattoos and an awesome laser sword with TWO blades doing backflips and cool looking choreographed fight moves)?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

burritolingus posted:

It's funny because, if that scene were played out on the tabletop, all the players would have jumped the sith and wasted him in like half of a single round. You'd have all the characters blasting away at him -- that means Padme, Panaka, R2, Anakin, and Jar-Jar because "don't split the party" is like rule one of those games -- and they'd probably kill him before Jinn, Kenobi, or Maul even get their turns. And then they'd continue on (after looting his double-bladed lightsaber) like it was no thing because it was literally a six second fight for those characters. Even if you threw Maul in with like a couple droids, who are they going to gun: a couple of non-threats or the big bad actual threat?

I mean, even if they did play along, how worthless would you feel being "the guy who beat the meek, weak, cowardly Asian-stereotypes" or "the guy who bravely fought worthless toy robots" when your buddy is "the guy who took down the badass sithlord (who looked like a devil guy and had cool tattoos and an awesome laser sword with TWO blades doing backflips and cool looking choreographed fight moves)?"

episode 1 was maybe not a great example, and honestly the best option is a system that balances out "being able to do cool jedi poo poo" with "other people also have cool poo poo to do that the jedi character(s) have to rely on them for." saga edition was okay at low levels but had all kinds of problems. i haven't played ffg's starwar game

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
when Hand Solo rode the train to Luke's apt complex, like wtf they weren't even on the same planet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

its surprising to me there's not more trains/monorails in starwars

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Otisburg posted:

its surprising to me there's not more trains/monorails in starwars

I'm sure Lucas (aka Major Shithead) would have replaced them with hovering alien donkey carts anyway

fuckin hate that guy

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh sure after bitching about all the lightsabers, lightfoils, lightwhips, lightshotos, dual-lightsabers and lightsaber-suits, now you're complaining about the lack of lightrails.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
They have trains and rails on I think Coruscant or Corellia or one of those planets in TOR that you ride around in instead of taking a griffin like in WOW.

I liked lightwhips and all the various silly lightsaber. I'd draw the line at armor made of lightsabers (even though that is funny).

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
There was a train level in Rogue Squadron for the N64 and a train fight in one of the Clone Wars episodes (with who else but Bossk!)

necroid
May 14, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

There was a train level in Rogue Squadron for the N64 and a train fight in one of the Clone Wars episodes (with who else but Bossk!)

also dumpster train level in shadows of the empire where you fought ig88

also bomb on train level in jedi outcast or jedi academy

probably in dark forces 2 can't remember

necroid
May 14, 2009

star wars: trainspotter

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Actually if you're the wrong skin color/culture you're considered a near human like the space Eskimo. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pyn%27gani

eu planets are terrible

yeah okay, this planet has been colonized by humans for > 1k years, the humans have evolved to adapt to the planet's temperature, but wait it only has a population of 600k, and oh - they were all totes enslaved by this big syndicate last year

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013

necroid posted:

also dumpster train level in shadows of the empire where you fought ig88

also bomb on train level in jedi outcast or jedi academy

probably in dark forces 2 can't remember

Also The last episode of Animated Clone War series, The jedis, Grevious and his robot guards all fought at a train station.

Rogue Squadron I had the Kessel mission where you had to disable a prison train to rescue Wedge.

I think there was a train in AOTC when Anakin chased the assassin through the street of Coruscant

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
that train where Porkins ate a whole laser turkey and they had to make an emergency stop because his plasmashit was eating through the walls, that was pretty cringeworthy

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

gnarlyhotep posted:

that train where Porkins ate a whole laser turkey and they had to make an emergency stop because his plasmashit was eating through the walls, that was pretty cringeworthy

Thats only q level canon so it doesnt really count

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I only eat free range Lazer turkey.

Going by the 1000 different ways to say coffee in the EU, here is a few suggestions to help new authors make their poultry more science fictiony.

Turk

LazTurk

Turken

LT

Tur

LazTur

GobbleBird

Space Gobbler

Star Gobbler

TIE Turken

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Work in a Tarkin reference and you're getting somewhere.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
workin on a Tarkin train, all the livelong day

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Looks like this Mofference is going to go through lunch. Debbie, order us vibro-subs. I want lett-izz and turkin on mine.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the sandwich is force sensitive

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
And has a lengthy history, that sandwich was actually how yoda got the tip off to the order 66 betrayal on Kashyyk(sp). It also stole one of many sets of plans to Death Star 1.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Where do the rebels order their lunch from? Subpro

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
like Greedo would order a Dagobah club sandwich with mayo in the dining car, Greedo hates mayo wtf

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

gnarlyhotep posted:

like Greedo would order a Dagobah club sandwich with mayo in the dining car, Greedo hates mayo wtf

he was always bitchin they were outa gouda

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Corellian_Bloodstripe

Someone felt the need to give Han Solo's 70s pants a backstory.

Also that story where the guy hosed the horse.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Evidence that Greedo was in fact a cultural outlier. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rodian_mayonnaise_sandwich

Otisburg posted:

episode 1 was maybe not a great example, and honestly the best option is a system that balances out "being able to do cool jedi poo poo" with "other people also have cool poo poo to do that the jedi character(s) have to rely on them for." saga edition was okay at low levels but had all kinds of problems. i haven't played ffg's starwar game

I think force users are relatively stronger at lower levels in saga since it's based off of skill progress vs defense progress and skills only improve .5 per level while defenses go up 1 per level, but at low levels +5 from the skill focus feat is pretty drat nice. Force lightning which requires 2 feats to be used, three to be effective, deals 6-48 damage and is limited in use by force training feats, vs a burst fire attack from a heavy blaster rifle doing 5d10 at a far greater range and can be done six times per 50 credit power pack and yes those are rechargeable.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Evidence that Greedo was in fact a cultural outlier. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rodian_mayonnaise_sandwich

I think force users are relatively stronger at lower levels in saga since it's based off of skill progress vs defense progress and skills only improve .5 per level while defenses go up 1 per level, but at low levels +5 from the skill focus feat is pretty drat nice. Force lightning which requires 2 feats to be used, three to be effective, deals 6-48 damage and is limited in use by force training feats, vs a burst fire attack from a heavy blaster rifle doing 5d10 at a far greater range and can be done six times per 50 credit power pack and yes those are rechargeable.

jesus loving christ to that entire post

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You assholes who keep creeping into the thread to insist the EU is good to need to ride the gently caress on out of town

Wraith squadron kicks rear end. You are a idiot for not seeing this. :colbert:.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I left my lazer-turkin sub out on the kitchen counter overnight and by morning it had turned to the dark side :sigh:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Crowsbeak posted:

Wraith squadron kicks rear end. You are a idiot for not seeing this. :colbert:.

their logo is real bad

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Otisburg posted:

Looks like this Mofference is going to go through lunch. Debbie, order us vibro-subs. I want lett-izz and turkin on mine.

"I bid you all Dark Eatings!"

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Hingehead posted:

Rogue Squadron I had the Kessel mission where you had to disable a prison train to rescue Wedge.

The most boring, lame mission in the game. Not trying to disparage Star Wars trains, just bringing it up.

necroid
May 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD63V7w3qGc

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
I didn't take the time to read anything in this thread. Did that annoying rear end in a top hat from the first few movies finally gently caress his sister or is George giving us blue balls on this one?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I purchased tickets for my little brothers' friends to see Episode whatever. Not even got popcorn.

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?
San Weech R-Teest was a force-sensitive service Droid working on the Death Star II. Receiving a Force Vision showing a victorious Emperor Palpatine standing over the bodies of both Vader and Luke Skywalker. San Welch realizes it must leave the zellonaise out overnight, an essential ingredient in Sheev Palpatine's favorite sandwich, the Nabooian Gooble Tuna on Ryebock. The resulting intestinal disruption caused Palatine to falter in his duel with Vader, allowing his apprentice to throw him into the Death Star II's primary reactor shaft.

fearlessflyingfish
Dec 24, 2014

Did you seriously pack drugs and candy for dinner?

Apthous posted:

I didn't take the time to read anything in this thread. Did that annoying rear end in a top hat from the first few movies finally gently caress his sister or is George giving us blue balls on this one?

Yep, Neo and Trinity hook up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

quick reminder that the think tank members who worked on the sun crusher and death star were assured and accepted that they would be used for strictly civilian applications

at least one of them was surprised and appalled that the devices she built to destroy planets and solar systems were being used in a military/terror capacity

• Locked thread