Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
Personally I'm a fan of his half-and-only read for Nature Box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Hadn't heard Burr before but I was pointed towards this and I found it funny so. You all probably seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLTWW_yEG4

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

ChickenArise posted:

I have watched all or almost all of This Is Not Happening and it's mostly good with a handful of great (Trevor Moore, Sean Patton, Tom Segura, and Steve Rannazzisi). Hopefully when it airs I discover that I missed a few.

I'm going to go see Tom Segura this spring just based on his overdose story from this, also I thought Jon Huck's story oktoberfest story was funny as well

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Yet another amazing Kyle Kinane special.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Hadn't heard Burr before but I was pointed towards this and I found it funny so. You all probably seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaLTWW_yEG4

Burr is the first comedian that once I heard one set of his I had too look out every thing available straight away. I think he is top of the pile currently. Hilarious dude.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 24, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yet another amazing Kyle Kinane special.

The last ten minutes are a hell of a thing :stare:

I'm excited to see him next month.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jippa posted:

Burr is the first comedian that once I heard one of set of his I had too look out every thing available straight away. I think he is top of the pile currently. Hilarious dude.

Watching his "You People" show and i'ts really good

Just gotta say, he has a weird & smooth forehead for a guy who does a bit on facelifts looking weird. dunno might just be me

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I forgot to record that new Kyle Kinane special and my DVR didn't show them playing it again anytime soon :negative:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Duke posted:

I forgot to record that new Kyle Kinane special and my DVR didn't show them playing it again anytime soon :negative:

http://kylekinane.vhx.tv

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Thanks very much, I did the same thing as The Duke.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

abraham linksys posted:

The last ten minutes are a hell of a thing :stare:

I'm excited to see him next month.

He really is one of the rare remaining examples of self loathing being genuinely funny.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Echoing everybody else, the new Kinane special's great. So pumped to see him live in a few weeks.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
https://louisck.net/purchase/live-at-the-comedy-store New $5 Louis CK special, that is all.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Cool let me head back to 2009 and give a poo poo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
I still live in the year 2009 and will be getting the special when I'm off work.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

rear end Catchcum posted:

What? Is it cool to hate Louis now? poo poo I missed that fuckin memo.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Didn't you just have a pseudo-breakdown about Blink-182 (who haven't been relevant since about 2005) losing their guitarist in the punk rock thread? gently caress outta here with this poo poo.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 27, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any sets of Burr's worth watching that don't boil down to "bitches man, bitches"?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't you just have a pseudo-breakdown about Blink-182 (who haven't been relevant since about 2005) losing their guitarist in the punk rock thread? gently caress outta here with this poo poo.

I have seven Louis CK tats and I have lived through every one of them.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

I have seven Louis CK tats and I have lived through every one of them.

BUT DOES HE DEFINE YOU??????????????????

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any sets of Burr's worth watching that don't boil down to "bitches man, bitches"?

The last one was slightly more chill about it.

quote:

UPROXX: On appearance alone, I’m Sorry You Feel That Way is different from your previous specials. What is the story of this special?

Bill Burr: For this one, I wanted to try to do a special without trashing women, because I thought I overdid it on the last one. At least I exhausted the subject, and I looked at it like, ‘Jesus Christ, Bill, enough already. Go hug your dad or whatever the problem is.’

There's like seven quotes like this from different interviews.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 27, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I didn't like it very much, and I really wanted to.

It was just unfocused & all over the place, and he spent way too much time making noises & faces. In the bat story there was a bit where he says that he'd just been going on with it until the applause stopped & that kinda seemed like describing the whole show.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Yeah Louis CK hasn't really been relevant to the discussion of stand-up comedy the last six years. (some cutesy sarcastic emoticon here)

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

All of them? Unless you're weirdly sensitive.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I didn't like it very much, and I really wanted to.

It was just unfocused & all over the place, and he spent way too much time making noises & faces. In the bat story there was a bit where he says that he'd just been going on with it until the applause stopped & that kinda seemed like describing the whole show.

I will say I agree somewhat. I still was entertained pretty consistently most of the way through, but it didn't particularly hang together as a cohesive work the way a lot of his hour-long sets do, and didn't have as many "aha, what a great point" moments as a lot of his material. And the choice of closer was a head-scratcher. Still worth $5 I think, but I preferred Brooks Wheelan's album that also came out today.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Shovelbearer posted:

And the choice of closer was a head-scratcher.

Haven't seen the new special yet, but CK has said in the past that he tends to open and close with his weakest material of the set so that he can force himself to maintain a standard of quality throughout any given special. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is in practice, since I know there has been at least one time in the past when I thought the closing joke wasn't that funny and left kind of a dull final impression to an otherwise great set.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I saw Patton Oswald's new special and thought it was great. His bit about his daughter and going to the grocery store were the highlights for me.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Haven't seen the new special yet, but CK has said in the past that he tends to open and close with his weakest material of the set so that he can force himself to maintain a standard of quality throughout any given special. I'm not sure how great of an idea that is in practice, since I know there has been at least one time in the past when I thought the closing joke wasn't that funny and left kind of a dull final impression to an otherwise great set.

That is not what he has said. He says that, while building new time, he forces himself to use his closer as his opener to make everything after it have to live up to/be able to follow that.

Would be curious to see where he said what you just said.

Blink 182 forever

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

I saw Patton Oswald's new special and thought it was great. His bit about his daughter and going to the grocery store were the highlights for me.

Yea there's a part of me that wants to be all "Man remember when you said if you ever become a comic who talks about your child all the time you wanted to fuckin die, you lost your edge maaaaan" but no he's still a really fuckin funny guy.

His bit about the slow realization that his daughter called a black man a monkey because of The Lion King was amazing for me.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
just watched the new louis ck special and it wasn't very good at all. he does a lot more voices now. the rats loving and he does this lovely asian accent is about the lowpoint.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah. CK has been weakening ever since he committed himself to a special a year. Cue someone telling me it's actually been 2 cause you read it in his newsletter but you get what I mean.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

We watched that a few nights ago, and it was great. After his story about trying on the too-tight pants and wanting to get a colander to wear on his head, he dropped a stupid little comment about joining the "boo-boo parade," and followed it with a little dance and a nonsense song like "Boo boo, bee bee bee, PEEE!", and that just slayed us. I don't remember the last time my wife laughed so hard at anything, and it was just a little silly throwaway moment.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Shovelbearer posted:

it didn't particularly hang together as a cohesive work the way a lot of his hour-long sets do, and didn't have as many "aha, what a great point" moments as a lot of his material.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

It was just unfocused & all over the place, and he spent way too much time making noises & faces
He even says in the description that it's more like his older stuff, which was a lot less story-driven and more silly and random.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

He even says in the description that it's more like his older stuff, which was a lot less story-driven and more silly and random.

and awful. that was the keyword about his old stuff that Louis probably should have remembered before he went back to it

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

and awful. that was the keyword about his old stuff that Louis probably should have remembered before he went back to it

I dunno. Chewed Up and Hilarious were his best ones, I feel.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Megazver posted:

That's new, not old. His old stand up as in 15-20 years ago

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Megazver posted:

by old, I meant Live From Houston and his HBO Comedy Half Hour, which is the time in history when he would "make noises and be funny for no reason" except it was god loving awful.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I doubt that's what he meant as "old", but I dunno.

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Megazver posted:

I doubt that's what he meant as "old", but I dunno.

I haven't read it, but if he said "I'm going back to my ~~~ style" wouldn't you think he meant the time when he was doing ~~~ style? Not another time where he wasn't doing ~~~style? I'm confused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

From his site: "This special kind of goes back to when I used to just make noises and be funny for no particular reason."

It's 100% similar to his old Comedy Central special, Live from Houston, etc. I remember liking some of those bits. Kids' Names was pretty good (and then Dane Cook ripped it off iirc)