Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Does anyone have a 1/100 Kyrios? I'm trying to help a friend complete his collection, but god drat the thing is hard to find for a non-scalped price.

why yes, i want to pay $170 for a high grade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Bimmi posted:

Just for laffs, here's what the Magna looks like straight out of the box:

Expensive kit for the day, though that's due more to many leftover parts from the base G-Cannon than to any sort of fine quality.

(no spare Hardygun yet, will notify if that changes)

That doesn't look that bad, but it obviously was designed to get painted. Since I'll be painting mine, it'll probably turn out fine. I hope.

And if anyone else has a 1/100 Hardygun lying around in the box, let me know. I really don't want to spend $45 on the kit, even with free Amazon prime shipping.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

BlitzBlast posted:

Does anyone have a 1/100 Kyrios? I'm trying to help a friend complete his collection, but god drat the thing is hard to find for a non-scalped price.

why yes, i want to pay $170 for a high grade

That reminds me, what's the scalping limit price for a sexy UC hardgraph kit like the M61A5MBT or a Hildolfr?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Built a HG Arios this weekend and it is pretty sweet. But then I checked out instructions for the 1/100 Arios which is basically the HG but better, the difference is incredible. Wish I paid the extra 20 bucks because the construction looks so much better. I hate using stickers for color separation.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
How are the 00 1/100 kits anyway, detail/build-quality wise? Are they just MGs without an inner-frame or something?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I have the no-grade 1/100 00 Raiser and it is quite a bit simpler than the MG. Good-looking kit, very nice in some ways, but the GN Drive mounts cannot support the weight of the Raiser parts at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've built the Exia, the Astraea F and the 00 and they're all pretty solid

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Mordja posted:

How are the 00 1/100 kits anyway, detail/build-quality wise? Are they just MGs without an inner-frame or something?

Pretty much upscaled, high end HGs. The 00 S2 ones in particular are very nice, though unsurprisingly the MG 00R is better than the 1/100.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I was more asking for the rest of the team's suits, I'd definitely go for an MG with the 00 itself. Probably the Seven Sword...

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The Arios 1/100 doesn't use stickers for the orange on the leg, it also has color separation for the shoulder units instead of all orange, and you dont have to remove his butt flap to transform to a plane.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh man, the Hi-Mock comes on only 2 runners? That's awesome! I'm gonna make like a dozen!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Why does the Hi-Mock not come with the target signs to hold?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Can one do light weathering with black, brown, and chrome silver acrylics? I'd drybrush the black for scorch marks, do the same with brown for some rust, and do chipping/drybrush onto pin-vised bullet holes with the silver.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

MJP posted:

Can one do light weathering with black, brown, and chrome silver acrylics? I'd drybrush the black for scorch marks, do the same with brown for some rust, and do chipping/drybrush onto pin-vised bullet holes with the silver.

For rust you'll also want to mix some red in with that brown. The rest is doable--mostly it will just depend on application and technique

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
First think I'm gonna do with a Hi-Mock is make a Hi-Mocku Shiki.

On a somewhat related note, is there a rattlecan chrome color that you guys would recommend? I don't have an airbrush yet but I want to do blue candycoating on my Hy-Gogg. I used Tamiya Silver Leaf and Clear Red on my red frame, but it didn't come out as metallic as I had hoped. Am I screwed until I get a sweet airbrush?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Boxart for MG Dark Matter.

Kind of a shame, it's like the mkII in that they just made something up. I was hoping for it kicking the SBS.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

peeNamaste posted:

is there a rattlecan chrome color that you guys would recommend?

Honestly, painting realistic metallics is where airbrushing really makes itself worthwhile in my opinion. I've never sprayed a rattlecan metallic that I'm happy with, while hand brushing metallics is usually ill advised (Though I have had great success hand painting smaller details with MM Enamel Chrome).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't want to totally derail the general Gundam thread so I'll ask here, is there really no good ZZ model? I see there are a couple MGs , are they not worth the cash?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

I don't want to totally derail the general Gundam thread so I'll ask here, is there really no good ZZ model? I see there are a couple MGs , are they not worth the cash?

Haven't heard horrible things about the HGUC ZZ kit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Loose posted:

Oh man, the Hi-Mock comes on only 2 runners? That's awesome! I'm gonna make like a dozen!

I'm picking mine up from the post office this afternoon, and I'm quite looking forward to it. drat thing's stuffed with an obscene amount of polycaps, and I've accumulated a buttload of random accessories I can stick on it :shepface:. Like a full set of Kampfer Amazing rifles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

The MGs are oooold and baaaad. I haven't done one personally but one of my modeling buddies has been working on one for a while and is not at all happy with it. The HGUC is fairly new and looks many mucho times better.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Boxart for MG Dark Matter.

Kind of a shame, it's like the mkII in that they just made something up. I was hoping for it kicking the SBS.

I kind of like the fire and ice effects, it's not terrible box art.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I'll go to bat for the MG ZZ not being completely terrible but there's no denying it has issues: it would probably be happiest perched on an Action Base and never, ever moved from that.

The HGUC lacks many of the problematic mechanisms that make the MG so unstable and is obviously the saner choice.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't like most MG boxart. i like the ver ka ones and the mg 3.0 gundam in recent memory

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I kinda miss the old clean MG boxart that just looked like some kind of weird half 3d render half painting of the kit. It wasn't necessarily good, but it was distinctive.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
You airbrushlers that use the Humbrol clear gloss stuff, what do you use to clean out the airbrush afterwards?

I'm thinking of doing a Hi-Mocktroid Samus Aran style, but I can't think of anything suitable for an arm cannon, any thoughts? A Turn X would be great, but I am 100% sure that doesn't exist. Yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

EthanSteele posted:

I'm thinking of doing a Hi-Mocktroid Samus Aran style, but I can't think of anything suitable for an arm cannon, any thoughts? A Turn X would be great, but I am 100% sure that doesn't exist. Yet.

Heavily convert one of the Gerbera Tetra's fuel tanks?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

You airbrushlers that use the Humbrol clear gloss stuff, what do you use to clean out the airbrush afterwards?

Shaldoll Rogue from AGE has an arm cannon. It's what I'm planning on using it for my inevitable Shaldoll Aran vs. Ridleyzine project.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

EthanSteele posted:

I run Iwata-Medea airbrush cleaner through it

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

HG ZZ is fine, but you specifically asked for a giant one and the only options there are the BTF ZZ (which is... a thing) and the old MG which really suffers for its transformation.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wait for the build fighter custom ZZ imo.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The shalldoll is excellent, thanks! I'm sure I can shorten that somehow or get it fitted at the elbow and if not who cares.

signalnoise posted:

I run Iwata-Medea airbrush cleaner through it

Cool, I was sure regular cleaner stuff would be fine but I wanted to make sure because I can't really do the "wait till sprays clear" thing I normally do.

Oh and just to make sure, for panel lining I do a coat of clear gloss and then do the really thin paint in grooves with a brush thing (mmm capillary action) and then clean up and do the matte coat if I'm into it?

What do I use to clean up any excess that won't chew up the gloss? I'll be using acrylics for the lines (and is under the Humbrol stuff)

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 28, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Shaldoll Rogue from AGE has an arm cannon. It's what I'm planning on using it for my inevitable Shaldoll Aran vs. Ridleyzine project.

Quote for save

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TARDISman posted:

Please tell me you're going to use the Titus shoulders.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
How tall is the HG Zssa?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Angry Bug posted:

How tall is the HG Zssa?

The basic Zssa is about as tall as your typical HG kit (it's dead-even with my Kampfer Amazing looking over at mine) but the Booster doubles the height of it, and the fin on the back means you'll need some depth to the shelf/surface you place it on. It's a chunky bastard, and I love it :allears:. Not exactly all that pose-able, but it's still worth getting if you just want it to sit with the missile pods open.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, definitely getting it. Was hoping it was short enough to use as a WH40K Dreadnought, but it sounds like it's too big. Yet somehow still less expensive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh, definitely getting it. Was hoping it was short enough to use as a WH40K Dreadnought, but it sounds like it's too big. Yet somehow still less expensive.

Use it as a Titan instead. :unsmigghh:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Please tell me you're going to use the Titus shoulders.

You know, I was actually pondering how the hell I'd do the Varia suit shoulders, no idea how that idea managed to elude me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just finished building my Hi-Mock and all I can say is you should all go get (at least) one :allears:. They're fun and cheap little bastards, and great entry-level kits if you want to drop a robot toy on someone.