Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Yes, that and the Sorceress Lodge intrigue around it. Basically, a large chunk of the game's plot that you're completely missing when you're playing on Roche's path.

You definitely know about the Lodge and what they're doing on Roche's path. You don't know that they're controlling Saskia but given that they're sorcerers, it's fair to assume anyway that they have a hand in every major conflict
Someone in the prolog even pointed out that the Dragon is only attacking Foltest's men, implying some kind of control which only a sorcerer could execute.

Saladman posted:

I'm pretty psyched for this. Is there any news that the combat is going to be different (i.e. not utter garbage)? I skipped the Witcher until I got it with GWG on the 360 and was impressed. It scratches the Dragon Age itch that I refused to scratch after I got herpes from Dragon Age 2.

I played EE on Hard until the Kayran, but as far as I could tell hard doesn't actually require more skill, it just requires you to kite enemies longer, roll more, and cast Quen a lot.

You actually have to dodge on Hard and above but once you got that down, there's not much difference between the difficulties. I also think Quen is useless because it can't take enough hits and the blocked Vigor regeneration just makes it worse than dodging. I think the only time I ever used it was against the Dragon because gently caress trying to get hits in with its 0.2 second attack animation.

The combat seems to be similar in W3, trading pirouettes for rolls.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

The first one is good too. But you need to find some cheats or trainers or mods or whatever to make the combat easy so you can just plow through the game because the combat is the shittiest part. i do think it has the better atmosphere and music and such things.

I did like the first one, I just can't recommend it to anyone because one of the things I remember is getting stuck in the lovely detective quest, where it bugged out and made me lose a few hours of progress.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

(I don't really think the Nilfgaardians are the good guys, the whole point is that there aren't any.)

They are, however, the invading army, which means that they all get murdered the second i get the chance. As a character in one of Sapkowski's other novels said while his troops were finishing off wounded soldiers of an invading army after a won battle, "we didn't invite them here".

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 27, 2015

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I've always found (especially with the detective bits in TW1 and the Act 2 split in TW2) that the narrative either requires a bit of extra thought OR just assumes you already know things it didn't overtly tell you.

In my only playthrough of TW2 I went with the Roche Act 2 and come Act 3 it kept talking about the dragon and various characters and some things that happened on the other side of the field that I had NO recollection of like I'd been there and talked to them the whole time. I had to check online for some mild explanation. But Letho's two hour infodump helped significantly.

I think I'm the only one to have enjoyed combat in both games. Save those swamp plants from TW1. No matter what I drank or did I could never kill them before they got me.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

I confess that I still haven't finished The Witcher 2. I'm in Loch Muine right before the end and just lost interest. I may be the only person who prefers TW1 to TW2.

No you're not, I blazed through 1 in a weekend it's fantastic, but stopped playing TW2 somewhere between the awful arena tutorial and the ingame tutorial when you start fighting on those siege walls.
I have no idea what they were thinking with those controls :psyduck:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I think I'm the only one to have enjoyed combat in both games. Save those swamp plants from TW1. No matter what I drank or did I could never kill them before they got me.

I loved both combat systems as well. I guess 1 is more "RPG-y" where you don't have as much control but I like both ways.
Just don't go into the swamp at night unless you wanna do the Echinopsae Contract. And when you do, Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni Igni.

sauer kraut posted:

No you're not, I blazed through 1 in a weekend it's fantastic, but stopped playing TW2 somewhere between the awful arena tutorial and the ingame tutorial when you start fighting on those siege walls.
I have no idea what they were thinking with those controls :psyduck:

What's bad about the controls? Aim at guys and click.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Show of hands, who has played TW2 on the 360 instead of the PC? I played through Iorveth's path on the PC but lost all my saves in a HD crash. I have chanced upon a 360 copy and one of the dev videos promised cross-platform save imports so...

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The way they made it sound in the livestream Q&A, it's not save import proper but a KotOR2-like conversation where you get to set your variables, so you probably don't even need to play the game again. Though, you know, feel free to do it if you have time and enjoy doing so.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Anti-Hero posted:

Show of hands, who has played TW2 on the 360 instead of the PC? I played through Iorveth's path on the PC but lost all my saves in a HD crash. I have chanced upon a 360 copy and one of the dev videos promised cross-platform save imports so...

THIS REMINDS ME!

The Witcher 2 is the current Games With Gold title for the 360! It's only that way 'til this coming Sunday so hop on that poo poo now! It's always on your account as long as you start the download so if you don't have the space or want to play it right now you don't have to!

That said, :pcgaming: But hey, if you want free TW2 on your 360, there you go!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Aumanor posted:

A quick reminder that Emhyr gave his armies clear orders to commit straight-up genocide on the occupied northern territories, and to drive the survivors into slavery, so the whole "Nilfgard is more civilised than the Northern Kingdoms" really, REALLY doesn't hold water. I'll be incredibly disappointed if I don't get to kill the fucker in Witcher 3.

Honestly, the Nilfgardian invasion in the books has some strong parallels to German invasion on Poland in 1939, to the point where the first kingdom invaded, Aedirn, is soon attacked from the opposide side by Keadwen, and then split between between the invaders, mirroring the Russian invasion on 17th September.

Was the fact that the Nilfgaardians are literally wearing the colors of the Holy Roman Empire (aka Germans) not enough for some people?

There's a ton of clear parallels with real world countries. Redania is England, what with having Oxenfurt the academy town (Oxford), the Order of the Flaming Rose (War of the Roses), and being across a very long river channel from Fantasy France, AKA Temeria (Fleur de Lys). Aedirn is Poland, and Kaedwen is Russia/Slavic countries.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 28, 2015

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Any news yet on graphics comparisons?

I'm gonna have to get this on PS4 as I'm moving into my new house in the coming months and can't really afford to upgrade my PC.

Just really hope the game looks amazing and runs smooth, also any more news on ways people have played the previous games can input their choices. I don't even have my previous Witcher save files on my PC

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I recently replayed TW1 and I had forgotten how tough echinops/archspores wore. Chugging a blizzard potion and attacking with a torch rather than your silver sword works real well for chapter 1 & 2.

GERALT OF CYDIA
Jun 11, 2011

yo mama apt-gets dwarf cock
Any chance of this coming in any form to iOS?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GERALT OF CYDIA posted:

Any chance of this coming in any form to iOS?

Excellent post+username combo.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was the fact that the Nilfgaardians are literally wearing the colors of the Holy Roman Empire (aka Germans) not enough for some people?

There's a ton of clear parallels with real world countries. Redania is England, what with having Oxenfurt the academy town (Oxford), the Order of the Flaming Rose (War of the Roses), and being across a very long river channel from Fantasy France, AKA Temeria (Fleur de Lys). Aedirn is Poland, and Kaedwen is Russia/Slavic countries.

Redania is Poland. They got numerous noblemen their crest is white eagle on a red background. Aedirn is Germany or Silesia, industrious, with access to minerals from mountains. Also their colours are similar to present German flag. :eng101:
Of course Redania has Novigrad (Novgorod?) and Oxenfurt, but Kaedwen is full of celtic names, so finding 100% analogues won't work.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Aedirn is Algeria because they both start with an A. Redania is Texas because Texas has a furt of oxen which is Latin for "lot of oxen". And Kaedwen is Greenland because its green on this map I googled.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Will Geralt still be boning ladies in this game?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

cheesetriangles posted:

Will Geralt still be boning ladies in this game?

Secret insider info: there is sex in this game

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This is my most anticipated game of 2015-20XX. Goddammit why can't it be released already.

Also, I highly recommend reading the novels. I've played the previous two games but nothing in them has been as helpful in explaining the overall world as the books have been. Plus, they're pretty good in general.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Physiologus posted:

"A witchman is by some called a witcher. Summoning him is dangerous, yet he must be called at times. When none can stand against an accursed monster, a witchman will. Do not touch the witchman, for you will become mangy. Remember also to hide the lasses from him, for the witchman is lecherous beyond imagination. Though the witchman craves silver, never pay him more than the following: a silver penny for a drowner, two silver pennies for a werecat, four silver pennies for a vampire."

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Those were the days.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Secret insider info: there is sex in this game

16 hours of motion-captured sex, according to The Guardian.

quote:

But the development team behind forthcoming fantasy adventure title The Witcher: Wild Hunt seems unfazed by either moral or technical concerns. The game, due for release in May, contains 16 hours of sex scene motion capture data (used to animate the 3D mannequins into their various lifelike positions). There may not be any of Houser’s dildo sex in the George RR Martin-esque fantasy plains, but there is a Hugh Hefnerian amount of lovemaking. It comes quickly, too. Within the first 15 seconds the camera droops to linger on a woman’s fulsome posterior, moments after dismounting the protagonist, the white-haired monster hunter, Geralt of Rivia.

:psyduck:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am sure this game won't cause any controversy about it's content whatsoever.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No see when it's boobie playing cards its a bad thing but when its just two people boning onscreen it's

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

But the development team behind forthcoming fantasy adventure title The Witcher: Wild Hunt seems unfazed by either moral or technical concerns. The game, due for release in May, contains 16 hours of sex scene motion capture data (used to animate the 3D mannequins into their various lifelike positions). There may not be any of Houser’s dildo sex in the George RR Martin-esque fantasy plains, but there is a Hugh Hefnerian amount of lovemaking. It comes quickly, too. Within the first 15 seconds the camera droops to linger on a woman’s fulsome posterior, moments after dismounting the protagonist, the white-haired monster hunter, Geralt of Rivia.

:quagmire:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Geralt slaying monsters right at the start.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I think that's saying that we spent 16 hours doing the mocapping, I don't even need to get approval to say that, no, 16 hours of the game isn't sex scenes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

There will be at least 10 minutes of sex scenes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think that's saying that we spent 16 hours doing the mocapping, I don't even need to get approval to say that, no, 16 hours of the game isn't sex scenes.

Preorder cancelled!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Preorder cancelled :mad:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
2 hours of actual sex
9 hours of Geralt trying to hide his boner while riding a horse
5 hours of Geralt awkwardly doing a "sexy" dance for the camera, sobbing

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

16 hours of the game should be sex scenes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm sure fine folks at LoversLab will make it happen, I'm not sure I'd like to see Geralt gently caress a griffin..

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

But is there male nudity this time around? I'm cool looking at virtual boobs, but where are my virtual dongs? I call for equality!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Half the different endings are just Geralt ploughing different colored women.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

As always, CD Projekt RED fails to deliver.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

The ending choice will consist of standing in a room with three doors, each leading to a bed with a different woman in it. If you go for 100% completion you unlock a hidden ending with Dandelion in the bed instead.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You mean Iorveth right.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I loved witcher's 1 and 2 so much I am almost convinced to break my "NO-PREORDERING GAMES YOU loving FUCKHEAD" rule for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

so you get a threesome if you go neutral? it's staying true to the original.

• Locked thread