Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The DoS version doesn't have stats going down, and it also doesn't have weapons/shields reducing magic effectiveness (heavy armor still does, and since evasion is so strong, its not a bad idea to just have everyone naked aside from weapon/shield starting out, until you get armor that is worth its weight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah the DS version is complete garbage. They bumped up the random encounter rate, gave enemies more turns than you do for absolutely no reason and put dumb limits on what classes you can change into. It's one of the few games where the Famicom original is easier and less poo poo.
as soon as I made it to level 60 I changed everyone to a thief and never fought a non-boss fight ever again.

It was quicker to die in most cases. 7 hours though in total and I could just imagine how much poo poo was artificially extended due to the enemies and constant switching in and out of battle. It was to make it like a 40 hour game probably.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 28, 2015

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Rarity posted:

I've decided to start playing all the Final Fantasies in order cause I haven't played any of them since hating FFXIII back on its first release.

I did that last year. Skip 3, 13, and probably 13-2 if you're not crazy, most of the games still hold up well for the most part though.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I beat 13 and 13-2 within a week of each other and I'm currently on Lightning Returns. 13 isn't a long game but its WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS HOLY poo poo MORE WORDS.

Also 13's battles take an ungodly long time, especially at the end. The Non-boss encounters can certainly feel like boss battles.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 28, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'll defend 3 (the original, not the remake). It definitely has its flaws (horrible gimmick dungeons/fights, limited inventory, useless jobs, currency cost to change jobs, insanely long final dungeon with no save points), and its main selling point is vastly outdone by FF5, but it has a decent story, fantastic music, impressive visuals by NES standards, and the game is fun once you realize Black Magic sucks after the early game and that the game expects you to use certain jobs at certain points in the game (though to its credit, it'll beat you over the head to tell you, "USE THESE JOBS YOU IDIOT"). It's also cool in that it's the precursor to every modern FF game, doing the standard "dungeon/boss" layout and introducing most of the series staples seen today (Summons, Moogles, Fat Chocobo, multiple airships, surprise second set of crystals, many jobs and job abilities), so it's cool to play just to see where all the standard FF stuff began. It's not for everyone, but it's also not as terrible as made out to be (though the remake is that terrible).

FF2 is surprisingly easy once you know how to play it (have one or two frontliners with swords and shields and the rest be mages, light armor is superior to heavy armor in every way, most weapons and armor have spellcaster penalties, etc), though there are still horrible design decisions in there (the dungeons are miserable ugly experiences, monster trap rooms, generally poo poo treasure, etc). The story's kinda amusing in seeing how many people are killed off, and the villain's one of the more competent ones in the series, and of course the music is solid. It's actually kind of fun if you like to break games open, but playing it blind is a terrible idea, at least for the original. The remakes make things significantly easier, and if you know how to break the original already, then imagine how easy the remakes are. Not too terrible, but still has its flaws.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

during the past week i've somehow managed to batter my way through the walls of menus and clutter on FF14 and found the game behind there, and, it's not to bad. Figured i'd see if i could make it through the main story. I'm almost level 20 now, so i'll have to upgrade from the free trial.
how does this work on the ps4? do i have to buy the priced game from the store? can't seem to find anywhere to "upgrade" on the version i have downloaded.
do I have to download more poo poo again?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dr Pepper posted:

As a general rule, if an ability has an animation and isn't a Black/White/Time spell, then it's blue magic. There's like, only a handful of exceptions and they're all endgame monster attacks.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah personally just truck a guide out.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/ff5/bluestrat.shtml

Despite the age of the site its still the best because it tells you which you can get in chronological order.

maou shoujo posted:

If you're playing the iOS version, IIRC all blue magic will have a certain symbol before the name. In the other versions, there is no symbol like that. The vast majority of blue spells will at least appear under !Control for easy experimenting and collecting.

Thanks. I'm playing it on the Vita, so I guess it's the PS1 port. I'm kinda regretting not just looking for a GBA and the GBA version, but that probably would have cost a lot more than what I paid on the PS Store (which was actually kind of expensive considering it's a pretty lovely port with a lovely translation).

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The Taint Reaper posted:

Also 13's battles take an ungodly long time, especially at the end. The Non-boss encounters can certainly feel like boss battles.

I never really found that. Start Syn/Rav/Sab wait till all the buffs and debuffs are laid down, then just all out offense till everything is dead. It never really took that long, especially if you threw haste down.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

CottonWolf posted:

I never really found that. Start Syn/Rav/Sab wait till all the buffs and debuffs are laid down, then just all out offense till everything is dead. It never really took that long, especially if you threw haste down.

Yup. Haste is a pretty big game changer as usual in FF once you can start casting it on your team with ease.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Haste has always been THE spell to gently caress everything over. Even in the older games where there was no ATB it practically doubled your damage since it multiplied your number of hits even higher (i hear spells like that don't work in the NES FF1 but I also hear it has boatloads of bugs) and bosses that used haste + other buffs on themselves could be total fuckers if you didn't anticipate that poo poo and dispel it asap.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Attitude Indicator posted:

during the past week i've somehow managed to batter my way through the walls of menus and clutter on FF14 and found the game behind there, and, it's not to bad. Figured i'd see if i could make it through the main story. I'm almost level 20 now, so i'll have to upgrade from the free trial.
how does this work on the ps4? do i have to buy the priced game from the store? can't seem to find anywhere to "upgrade" on the version i have downloaded.
do I have to download more poo poo again?

Try ask in the FFXIV thread in the MMO forum. I'm not sure myself on how the free trial worked. I assume that you probably just need to purchase a full copy and then it unlocks a key for you as I'd assume the full game already got downloaded for the trial.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

How Rude posted:

Haste has always been THE spell to gently caress everything over. Even in the older games where there was no ATB it practically doubled your damage since it multiplied your number of hits even higher (i hear spells like that don't work in the NES FF1 but I also hear it has boatloads of bugs) and bosses that used haste + other buffs on themselves could be total fuckers if you didn't anticipate that poo poo and dispel it asap.

Haste (FAST in original FF1) definitely worked and was definitely awesome.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I hadn't touched Curtain Call since christmas but last night I booted it up and saw all the new DLC :allears:

I freaking lost it when I saw the TWEWY songs.

I'm pretty sure CC is tied with FF14 as the game I have spent the most money on since buying it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr E posted:

I did that last year. Skip 3, 13, and probably 13-2 if you're not crazy, most of the games still hold up well for the most part though.

lol skip 13 but not 2, okay guy

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dont play 13 or 13-2, ever. like, goddamn, dude, they're the worst.

but imho lightning returns is fun

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still don't get why people hate 13-2 and think 13 is better. Yes, the battle balance is completely off and yes, Academia loving sucks with getting into battles every 2 steps but otherwise I thought it was a better game than 13 easily.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still don't get why people hate 13-2 and think 13 is better. Yes, the battle balance is completely off and yes, Academia loving sucks with getting into battles every 2 steps but otherwise I thought it was a better game than 13 easily.

I think it's just the difficulty curve for battles is way off compared to FF13.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Just ignore all three.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

How is it better?

It's less linear but still absurdly linear and with bad dungeon design and literally everything else is worse than FFXIII. The only way it is better is if the only thing you care about is occasionally walking in a different direction. (and LR is better about that!)

I guess it has a better sense of humor too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 28, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

How is it better?

It's less linear but still absurdly linear and with bad dungeon design and literally everything else is worse than FFXIII. The only way it is better is if the only thing you care about is occasionally walking in a different direction. (and LR is better about that!)

The battle system is tuned to feel much faster because Paradigm shifting is nearly instant. That's a nice improvement over XIII. That's "better" in my opinion.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

The only good things about XIII-2 were collecting and growing the Pokemans and the poo poo-heel answers to live trigger events. Everything else ranged from mildly annoying to pants-shittingly terrible.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

How is it better?

At least I wasn't bored out of my mind pressing forward, X and occastionally L1.
I didn't say 13-2 was good, it wasn't. But at least it has more things to actually do, a lot of those things were terrible but some weren't. I didn't think the dungeons were any more offensive than Chapter 10 of 13 either, with it's copy paste sewer level that just went on forever and ever and ever.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

At least I wasn't bored out of my mind pressing forward, X and occastionally L1.
I didn't say 13-2 was good, it wasn't. But at least it has more things to actually do, a lot of those things were terrible but some weren't. I didn't think the dungeons were any more offensive than Chapter 10 of 13 either, with it's copy paste sewer level that just went on forever and ever and ever.

a stunning endorsement of 13-2

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'll take a bland, copy-pasted sewer level over goddamn platforming challenges any day of the week. 13-2 final area is infinitely worse than anything in 13.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

a stunning endorsement of 13-2

Well, yeah. I'd never play 13-2 again but if you forced me to replay either 13 or 13-2, I'd grudgingly pick 13-2.

LR is way better than either game anyway.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ImpAtom posted:

How is it better?

you beat a boss by yelling at it so hard the yell literally travels back in time and warns its creator

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Artix posted:

I'll take a bland, copy-pasted sewer level over goddamn platforming challenges any day of the week. 13-2 final area is infinitely worse than anything in 13.

I never had a problem with the final area though? Like, everyone keeps saying it's the worst dungeon ever but besides ending fatigue and just wanting the game over with already, I didn't think it was that bad. Academia 400 AF was way, way, way worse and probably the one thing I do think is worse than anything in 13. Like what the gently caress were they thinking with that?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The acadamia level with the infinitely respawning enemies that die faster than battle load times and give no exp is the worst area I've ever experienced in a video game I think

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

forbidden lesbian posted:

lol skip 13 but not 2, okay guy

Fine, skip 1-3, 13, 13-2.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Skip 8 too. I know it's probably not as bad as I remember but I have bad memories of it when I was a dumb kid and don't particularly want to revisit them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that Lightning Returns has the worst reviews out of the XIII games. I wonder if it'd be different if it somehow wasn't a Final Fantasy game and completely separate from XIII

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Skip 8 too. I know it's probably not as bad as I remember but I have bad memories of it when I was a dumb kid and don't particularly want to revisit them.

Any games from 4 thru 13 have a lot of fans and non-fans so saying to skip them is a bad idea which will start a bunch of horrible arguments.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I liked Academia 500AF. It had this bizarre otherworldly atmosphere and music, they really nailed that part. Made it feel like the world was literally falling apart. And the platforming wasn't THAT bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Skip all of them.

Or just play FF5 fourteen times instead.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I liked Academia 500AF. It had this bizarre otherworldly atmosphere and music, they really nailed that part. Made it feel like the world was literally falling apart. And the platforming wasn't THAT bad.

I wouldn't say I liked it but it didn't stand out as an especially terrible part of the game. Not like Academia 400AF. Or Caius.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mr E posted:

Fine, skip 1-3, 13, 13-2.

Toxxupation posted:

you beat a boss by yelling at it so hard the yell literally travels back in time and warns its creator

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bregor posted:

I wouldn't say I liked it but it didn't stand out as an especially terrible part of the game. Not like Academia 400AF. Or Caius.

caius in lightning returns, however, is hilarious

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

games to skip: the final fantasies

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Every game is the worst game in the series so the combined opinions of goons suggesting which games to skip will always be all of them in the end. In other words, never ask which games to skip here. You really need to figure out on your own whether or not you like one of them. However, asking about the features in specific titles before playing them is a perfectly useful thing to do. Just know that a lot of opinions are often exaggerated (like the rest of the internet).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Skip all of them.

Or just play FF5 fourteen times instead.

This, but wait until July.