Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I have an iPhone 4s and I want to switch over to an Android phone, and I narrowed my choices to:

- Moto X 2014

- Galaxy S5

Here's what I know about these phones:

• The Moto X has a bunch of voice gestures and a cool flick wrist twice to access the camera.
  • The Galaxy S5 is waterproof, while I don't think I'll be going out of my way to use, it's a nice feature.
  • The Galaxy S5 appears to have a slightly better camera.
  • The Galaxy S5 has a removable battery and microSD card storage but this is not a make-or-break thing please don't start a fistfight over it.
  • The Moto X has a 2300 mAh battery compared to the S5's 2800 mAh.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the Moto X, I like the voice and gesture stuff and I can make do with the wealer camera and lower battery (my college campus has wall sockets I can just plug a charger in). If you can persuade me to pick an S5 that's cool. Again, I'm coming from an iPhone 4s so any of these two phones will be an upgrade.

Also, Moto X has the following:

• Lollipop - the S5 won't see this until summer probably
  • Turbo charging (this poo poo is better than wireless charging)
  • Better feel in hand than S5 (that curve is so, so sexy)
  • More pure Android experience
I'd go with the Moto X, personally. I wanted a big device, so I went with a Nexus 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I wish they'd let me set my own repos and allow me to compile all my apps from source.

As long as phone component drivers remain the sick joke they are (even if mobile radios have to be blackboxed by law they could still adhere to an API or something), it doesn't really matter.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

S5 isn't a good choice even if you like Samsung phones. I'd wait for the next generation at this stage personally.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ok I'll get the Moto X then, thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Ordered, now to play the waiting game. Thanks again guys. I'll post my impressions once I get it.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2015

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I would dive back into the fetid waters of android rooting if a moto x pro ROM came out that gave me all of the x's features on my nexus 6. The X is a good choice.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Skeezy posted:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2875284/cyanogen-ceo-says-he-wants-to-take-android-away-from-google.html

Cyanogen CEO says he wants to ‘take Android away from Google’. I guess they want to have their own app store and everything? I dunno if it'll work but lol
Considering how many people on XDA and Reddit are obsessive about wanting to decrypt the Nexus 6 for performance benefits that range from unnecessary to imaginary, I would put my full faith in a major ROM developer that has never managed to get a now-standard feature of Android to not brick your phone, nevermind actually work.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Also, Moto X has the following:

• Lollipop - the S5 won't see this until summer probably

Which according to this thread is a huge, huge downside.

I've had no/minimal problems and I think Lollipop is great.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The Galaxy S5 has a removable battery and microSD card storage but this is not a make-or-break thing please don't start a fistfight over it.

This gave me a good laugh. Someone's been reading the thread!

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

hooah posted:

This gave me a good laugh. Someone's been reading the thread!

I'd call it more of a slapfight, anyway.
:goonsay:

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Mooktastical posted:

I'd call it more of a slapfight, anyway.
:goonsay:

Oh its on now!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Hey guys I've rooted my device and want to replace my SD card, what's the best way to change my battery. also i bricked my phone but it's totally not the fault of my rooted rom, how do i fix it? pls advise

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

robodex posted:

Hey guys I've rooted my device and want to replace my SD card, what's the best way to change my battery. also i bricked my phone but it's totally not the fault of my rooted rom, how do i fix it? pls advise

http://store.apple.com/us/iphone

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Ugh, iPhone. I much prefer the ease of being able to flash any random firmware I find on XDA then ask the something awful Android thread about how to fix my bricked phone.

:v:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know mate, this looks expensive.

*Flashes OG Galaxy Ace with ToyotaMarshmallowROM*

:smug:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I don't know mate, this looks expensive.

*Flashes OG Galaxy Ace with ToyotaMarshmallowROM*

:smug:
The ToyotaMarshmallow guys really have their poo poo together.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone else's Motorola Turbo Charger make a high pitch whistling sound when the phone is plugged in?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

GWBBQ posted:

Does anyone else's Motorola Turbo Charger make a high pitch whistling sound when the phone is plugged in?
Anandtech mentioned coil whine in their review.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Heads up: Motorola will be doing another run of promo codes for Valentine's day.

Edit: Also, $48 off Nexus 6 at T-Mobile.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 27, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Am I missing something with the Moto Maker website? They start you off with the 16 GB X at $400. I checked the 64 GB box which says it adds $100, and suddenly the price is $600. Is the extra $100 due to the "pure" edition?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, the "from $399.99 no-contract" reflects a $100 discount on Republic Wireless. Configure something not on Republic Wireless (or other carrier subsidy/discount) and the price will be higher.

To avoid confusion, click the "Buy" button, select the Pure edition, and then click "Continue Designing".

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
The $400 price mark is for the republic wireless phones. A pure model starts at $500 for 16 GB.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a Droid Turbo, so to the ones that have it, any issues with it so far?, anything you don't like?, any issue I should expect coming from a 2013 Moto X (which I love but for it's battery), besides the size increase?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I love my Turbo. Best phone I've owned. No complaints.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So is it possible to install the default version of Android L on a OnePlus 1?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

XIII posted:

I love my Turbo. Best phone I've owned. No complaints.

Same, it is amazing to have a phone like this.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So have there been any new announcements on when the 2013 Moto X is getting 5.0? Or is 5.0 a piece of garbage that is ruining old phones?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

FogHelmut posted:

So have there been any new announcements on when the 2013 Moto X is getting 5.0? Or is 5.0 a piece of garbage that is ruining old phones?

No new announcements other than "soon"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I convinced my dad to get a 2014 Moto X. I helped him set it up (xfer stuff from his samsung piece of poo poo).

Anyway, I don't like the UI on the new Moto X. I much prefer how it looks on my 2013 Moto X. I was really confused by the placement of some of the options (and some were moved). And I think I messed up somewhere by configuring the voice through moto's app instead of google.

But once my dad got used to how to do things, he's really impressed. Notifications and voice activation are still awesome.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Doctor Butts posted:

I convinced my dad to get a 2014 Moto X. I helped him set it up (xfer stuff from his samsung piece of poo poo).

Anyway, I don't like the UI on the new Moto X. I much prefer how it looks on my 2013 Moto X. I was really confused by the placement of some of the options (and some were moved). And I think I messed up somewhere by configuring the voice through moto's app instead of google.

But once my dad got used to how to do things, he's really impressed. Notifications and voice activation are still awesome.

If it's a Verizon Moto X get used to the UI, because that's Lollipop and you're going to be getting it on your 2013 model sooner rather than later.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I know. I can't stand the way they changed the notification pulldown.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

zocio posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a Droid Turbo, so to the ones that have it, any issues with it so far?, anything you don't like?, any issue I should expect coming from a 2013 Moto X (which I love but for it's battery), besides the size increase?

Really no complaints. Having qi and turbo charging is unreal, I love this thing. Get a diztronic case and live in phone heaven.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

I like having the quick toggles right there in the pulldown. I wish that I could decide what toggles show up, though!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Doctor Butts posted:

Honestly I find the notification panel and lockscreen implementation to be one of Lollipop's better changes.

The volume rocker/silent situation, that's the real tragedy.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

Honestly I find the notification panel and lockscreen implementation to be one of Lollipop's better changes.

The volume rocker/silent situation, that's the real tragedy.

The notification panel is nice when the phone is locked as it fully expands with a single pull, when it's not locked and need two, i hate it. And the whole volume thing is completely poo poo. Lollipop has some good things but I liked more kitkat+xposed.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Just got another soak test invitation from Motorola for my Turbo. Lollipop?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Still looking to replace my Nexus 4 and I have a question to those with the Moto X 2014. Is the lack of OIS a big deal with it? I may pick one up this February if I don't go with my original plan of a Nexus 5.

The camera is a big deal to me and I'd like a decent one, but I don't want a Note 4 or anything like that. I'm assuming that with the upgrades to Android via Kit Kat and the upcoming (maybe) RAW stuff that the 5 can do, that it is the better camera.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You could consider a Xperia Z2 or Z3 (compact option aswell) if you want a good camera and Sony's skin is really nice.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

this_is_hard posted:

Just got another soak test invitation from Motorola for my Turbo. Lollipop?

Ha, because of your post I just checked my email. Invited as well.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone know if the 2014 Moto X is at all magnetic? I got a magnetic CD-tray car mount last year for Christmas, and after all the surgery I've been doing on my Nexus 4 I ended up leaving the plate out, and it still sticks enough that I'm not worried on city streets in Michigan, and it'd be nice to know if something with a curved back could stick as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Guillermus posted:

The notification panel is nice when the phone is locked as it fully expands with a single pull, when it's not locked and need two, i hate it. And the whole volume thing is completely poo poo. Lollipop has some good things but I liked more kitkat+xposed.
To fully expand with a single pull, use two fingers.