Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

My real problem with Shia is that they're setting her up as Fumina's BIG BADASS RIVAL but so far she's interacted entirely with Sekai and seems to be just another of his Ranma-style harem of love interests which... eeeeeeeeh.

Yeah, that too. At least Gyanko had a personality, but I'm starting to think Shia's fullblown :spergin: or something.

On a side-note, it was nice to see a couple of background teams that at least had some semblance of a theme. Or at least a matching paintjob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, that too. At least Gyanko had a personality, but I'm starting to think Shia's fullblown :spergin: or something.

On a side-note, it was nice to see a couple of background teams that at least had some semblance of a theme. Or at least a matching paintjob.

I feel like Team MSG had some sort of theme going but beyond "using SEED mecha" I couldn't figure out what it was. Admittedly they got owned super-quick.

No idea what the hell team Jegan/Blue Frame/third I can't remember was though, they seemed pretty mishmash.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like Team MSG had some sort of theme going but beyond "using SEED mecha" I couldn't figure out what it was. Admittedly they got owned super-quick.

No idea what the hell team Jegan/Blue Frame/third I can't remember was though, they seemed pretty mishmash.

The guys up against SD-R using the GM and the Wing Custom were both reliant on gatling guns (The GM had the one from the Mock Army set, and the Wing had some badass backpack ones) and a similar paint scheme. The guys up against MSG had there own similar paint scheme as well. It's not much, but it's a better effort than we got from the Regional Tournament.

edit: Oh yes, and the Ninjas too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Three Ninjas! :syoon:

I'm hoping they come up with some excuse for Fumina and Shia to interact on any level, yeah. It's a little weird to set them up as rivals when until just Fumina wasn't even really aware Shia existed(besides as that girl who helped Sekai that one time) and Shia still isn't really aware Fumina exists(besides as Sekai's teammate).

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It's a ZZ Gundam, right down to having a needlessly complex combination that serves no purpose and weakens the unit's structural integrity!

Hey man you don't understand creativity.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Hey man you don't understand creativity.

Incidentally, if you pay very close attention to the displays during the transformation sequence, it's actually a partsformer hidden by Plavsky particle magic. You can see the display mentioning jettisoning the Gundam head.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The fact that they took the ridiculous super-robot equivalent to an already ridiculous suit and somehow made it even crazier is kinda magical.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love, love, love that even Yuuki is utterly flummoxed by the Tryon 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

That man's holding back tears of joy and I defy you to tell me otherwise.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

Dare I say...Gunpla is...FREEDOM!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

God drat this series got fun all of a sudden.

I enjoyed the transition from Team Wrong Fictional Setting to the ridiculous Team Ninjutsu complete with log substitution double fake out.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

Well, it would if they interacted. They're both the potential 'heirs' to Lady Kawaguchi. They just want her to have an Aila-style romance with Sekai despite that being like a black hole of charisma.

This might mean something if we even knew why there was a Lady Kawaguchi in the first place. Like, we know why the original Kawaguchi was there and what his heirs were for - but is the female one there simply to be a female version because women need their own one? That seems pretty shallow and stupid. Especially considering that neither Fumina nor Shia appear to be actively trying to become her replacement. Nevermind that she's still only barely out of her teens more than likely and so doesn't actually need a replacement for a long time yet more than likely. Long enough that by the time either of them replaced her they'd only have a few years left before they too would be at the same age she was when she was replaced. I preferred Lady when she was just a random builder/fighter that Fumina admired - making her a female Kawaguchi doesn't really seem to do anything but raise more problems.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That man's holding back tears of joy and I defy you to tell me otherwise.

It's just a pity that Yuuma will never display even a fraction of the creativity that Sakai has. I mean, Sakai made the ZZ in to a super robot homage with rocket punches and eye beams and needlessly complicated transformations so that you'd have trouble telling it was ever a Gundam in the first place. Yuuma made a customized Re-GZ with better thrusters and guns. Whoop-de. He's not even the best builder on his own team for Christ sakes - Fumina at least had the gumption to make a completely new unit with cool gimmicks that have never been seen before in Gundam. Even her rivalry is playing up the builder aspect given how everyone is talking about how Shia's unit is built perfectly and can surf on beams thanks to it.

Team Try should combine in to one robot to take on Tryon-3 and the chances are it won't happen - even though it'd be the perfect chance to finally have an honest to goodness one v one fight, which seems to be all the staff want despite making the show's premise team battles.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

It's just a pity that Yuuma will never display even a fraction of the creativity that Sakai has. I mean, Sakai made the ZZ in to a super robot homage with rocket punches and eye beams and needlessly complicated transformations so that you'd have trouble telling it was ever a Gundam in the first place. Yuuma made a customized Re-GZ with better thrusters and guns. Whoop-de. He's not even the best builder on his own team for Christ sakes - Fumina at least had the gumption to make a completely new unit with cool gimmicks that have never been seen before in Gundam. Even her rivalry is playing up the builder aspect given how everyone is talking about how Shia's unit is built perfectly and can surf on beams thanks to it.

Yuuma and Sei have both had the same problem. We're supposed to believe that they're the best builders, but their best work is just a mild upgrade on their original Gunpla compared to literally everyone else's :effort:. I get that they're very different beasts in combat with much higher specs, but its not really an angle you should chase in what's fundamentally a merchandise-driven show.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

tsob posted:

That's not really fair to Yuuma, I mean he made a machine that was so fast that it was faster than a transformed trans-am kyrios. He may not be the most creative builder, but he definitely builds quality models.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, 'good builder' means 'high performance'. Creativity has nothing to do with build quality - slapping together a Turn X Qan[T] God Gundam will get you nowhere if the engineering quality's not up to scratch and it falls apart seconds into the battle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, 'good builder' means 'high performance'. Creativity has nothing to do with build quality - slapping together a Turn X Qan[T] God Gundam will get you nowhere if the engineering quality's not up to scratch and it falls apart seconds into the battle.

You're forgetting that Yuuma is an award-winning artistic builder on a national level. It's not just that he should be building well, but building creatively to boot. If you want to sell this as a story point, it needs to be shown with something new. A simple backpack change does not do that.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

To be fair simply combining all the strongest Gundams together is not particularly creative either.

Now, a cowboy Master 00 Regnant with faces in hands that turn into mouths and shoot beams? Now we're talking.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
GUNDAM SPIEGEL!!! :byodood:

*ahem*

That was a fantastic episode. And of course Sekai would be the only one to instantly appreciate the majesty and awesomeness of the Tryon 3.

Also, I love how when Minato interrupted Yuuma's critique, his cut-in bubble actually slammed into Yuuma and knocked him off balance. :allears:

So I guess the restriction on them not being able to use AGE stuff ended? That's cool. Glad to see them celebrate this by having a girl utterly curbstomp the final boss of AGE.

ImpAtom posted:

That's the thing though. It isn't Anti-Gundam.

It's a ZZ Gundam, right down to having a needlessly complex combination that serves no purpose and weakens the unit's structural integrity!

Well, there is one major important difference between the ZZ and the Tryon 3... the Tryon 3 can actually use its ridiculously overpowered weapons without crippling its ability to function! :pseudo:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

tsob posted:

I don't actually see this as a flaw, though in the writing, actually. Yuuma is from the Sei school of modeling, which is firmly rooted in the methodology of coming up with a safe custom design and iterate/improve the loving poo poo out of it so it's technically perfect. Yuuma doesn't really do anything super crazy with his gunpla because he's naturally cautious and reserved, so he compensates by engineering the poo poo out of it so the basic things it does are the best they can possibly be. Sakai is from the Shingyo school, which has the whole "model of the heart" thing going on and is based on making whatever crazy thing you think would be loving rad. This was illustrated pretty clearly even back in S1, where Mao's solution to fighting the Star Build Strike was to bolt a Satellite Cannon Beam Saber to his GX and then his replacement suit was a Crossbone Gundam X that vomited Satellite Cannons and had skull and crossbones heat swords.

It's just different methodology to building. Hell, Yuuki leans more towards the Yuuma/Sei style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, there is one major important difference between the ZZ and the Tryon 3... the Tryon 3 can actually use its ridiculously overpowered weapons without crippling its ability to function! :pseudo:

So long as it can recover it's arms, anyway :v:.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakai is the best and everyone being dumbstruck by the Tryon 3 was hilarious. Also the new system announcer sounds even more loving pumped than before.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yuuma and Sei have both had the same problem. We're supposed to believe that they're the best builders, but their best work is just a mild upgrade on their original Gunpla compared to literally everyone else's :effort:. I get that they're very different beasts in combat with much higher specs, but its not really an angle you should chase in what's fundamentally a merchandise-driven show.

At least Sei gave his machine an internal skeleton and came up with things like the absorb shield and build knuckle. Yuuma's is literally just a really, really well built machine. It doesn't appear to have any gimmicks or creative flair of any kind to it at all.

Monaghan posted:

That's not really fair to Yuuma, I mean he made a machine that was so fast that it was faster than a transformed trans-am kyrios. He may not be the most creative builder, but he definitely builds quality models.

So does everyone else though. And again, the build quality angle is played up more in Fumina and Shia's rivalry than in Yuuma's rivalry with Sakai, as well as Fumina being a more creative builder. Yuuma didn't even make his unit from scratch like Fumina, he modded an existing unit while she built an entirely new one. Unless her build falls apart in one of the fights, which isn't going to happen, why should we believe that Yuuma is the better builder of the two? I wouldn't mind so much if the show didn't keep banging on about how he's the best builder in the region and won an artistic Gunpla prize. There's nothing artistic about his unit. Especially when you compare it to some of the other builds, and when even his own team mate can build a more creative unit that has as much quality why should we be impressed with him? He's supposed to be the great builder in the team and there's just no evidence to show for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

At least Sei gave his machine an internal skeleton and came up with things like the absorb shield and build knuckle. Yuuma's is literally just a really, really well built machine. It doesn't appear to have any gimmicks or creative flair of any kind to it at all.

So does everyone else though. And again, the build quality angle is played up more in Fumina and Shia's rivalry than in Yuuma's rivalry with Sakai, as well as Fumina being a more creative builder. Yuuma didn't even make his unit from scratch like Fumina, he modded an existing unit while she built an entirely new one. Unless her build falls apart in one of the fights, which isn't going to happen, why should we believe that Yuuma is the better builder of the two? I wouldn't mind so much if the show didn't keep banging on about how he's the best builder in the region and won an artistic Gunpla prize. There's nothing artistic about his unit. Especially when you compare it to some of the other builds, and when even his own team mate can build a more creative unit that has as much quality why should we be impressed with him? He's supposed to be the great builder in the team and there's just no evidence to show for it.

Sei's upgrade is actually the worse of the two compared to Yuuma's. Yuuma's is a straight upgrade, and frankly that's okay. It's only gone through Rank-B damage by that point, and it's mostly intact by the end of the Regionals. What makes it bad is that the HG kit's riddled with accessory slots and they do nothing with them. Even just some missile pods or something would be better than just a new backpack. Sei's, however, tanks part of his story arc with it. The Build Strike got destroyed, and there's a multi-episode arc of Sei learning to build something purely original and by his own innovation... and then builds the exact same basic Build Strike from scratch, before adding on a new backpack and gimmicks, instead of something actually original from the ground up :effort:.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yuuma just had his "I'm being too conservative" revelation the same way that Sei had his, and we've seen the resulting upgrade in action all of once thus far.

We haven't seen all of Fumina's new gimmicks yet, it's not impossible that the Lightning Fb has something up it's sleeve as well.

I'm not saying the series will definitely justify Yuuma's reputation, but it's too early to tell yet.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think it's easier for the writers to give the bad guy more unique gimmicks, since they only show up for a fight or two. gimmicks could get boring and hard to work with if they constantly showed up. Hell even the more unique gimmicks that the SBS in BF didn't show up that often since the absorb shield kept getting taken out.

Let's also not forget that Yuuma upgraded the build burning, a model built by sei himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sort of hoping that Yuuma vs Sakai ends up being a fight where Yuuma learns he needs imagination and gives the Lightning a last-minute upgrade to do something cool and interesting.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

If they want to make the Shia/Fumina rivalry more interesting I hope they run into each other and spend time geeking out over each other's Gunplas - Portent for the sheer build quality and Star Winning for the ridiculous number of gimmicks stuffed into it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

W.T. Fits posted:

GUNDAM SPIEGEL!!! :byodood:

NINJA CUSTOM GUNDAM SPIEGEL :byodood:

Sunrise please I just want a modern run of G. Gimme that Spiegel. I love that Sakai and Team are now an in-universe crowd favorite. Let them show us the power of SUPER ROBO

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Speaking of Sei and the Build Burning. He's following the tournament enough to tell China her little brother is being interviewed. Think he is watching the matches? I wonder if he saw the Build Burning in action and what his thoughts are.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

NINJA CUSTOM GUNDAM SPIEGEL :byodood:

Sunrise please I just want a modern run of G. Gimme that Spiegel.

I know, right? Seriously, Bandai, I've already given you money for a Master Grade of it, why won't you give me a High Grade so I can give you more? :negative:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

W.T. Fits posted:

I know, right? Seriously, Bandai, I've already given you money for a Master Grade of it, why won't you give me a High Grade so I can give you more? :negative:

wait there's an MG Spiegel. Welp There goes money right out of my wallet.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Yo Yuuma keep your eyes up

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They've actually posted a twitter regarding the Sid. AGE is apparently still locked but both parties were able to reach an agreement to use the Sid for this episode and regretted they couldn't use it for the OP because its just for this episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've actually posted a twitter regarding the Sid. AGE is apparently still locked but both parties were able to reach an agreement to use the Sid for this episode and regretted they couldn't use it for the OP because its just for this episode.

That's sort of amazing.

"We can include Age once. Only once."

"JOB THE FUCKER."

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Wasn't one of the Ninjas using a Spallow knife?

Maybe that doesn't count.

Also I have never bought or built a Gunpla in my life and now I wanna own a Tryon 3 and/or a G-Portent

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

wait there's an MG Spiegel. Welp There goes money right out of my wallet.

Yeah, MG Spiegel, came out back in August 2002.

To date, this and the no-grade 1/144 kit are the only Spiegel kits in existence. I love seeing the suit show up in Build Fighters (even if it inevitably gets chumped), but at the same time it's like a punch in the gut because there's still no HGFC version. :negative:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

That's sort of amazing.

"JOB THE FUCKER."

Is it my imagination or did the CGI for Sid look worse then it did in the final episode of age?

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

DigitalRaven posted:

"Is there any point to them combining?"
"None at all."

That's why it's cool, ya loving goon.

E: Holy poo poo I think I'm in love. LIGER GLARE!!!!

Jesus gently caress the whole thing is just made of Super Robot references. :swoon:

ROCKET PUNCH is of course obvious/standard, but LIGER GLARE is definitely a Gaiking one, HEAT WING is I believe a Brave reference (older one too, I think one of the Exkaiser mechs? Either that or J-Decker.)

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That's sort of amazing.

"JOB THE FUCKER."

And it was suddenly worth watching AGE to me. Just for that moment. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, MG Spiegel, came out back in August 2002.

To date, this and the no-grade 1/144 kit are the only Spiegel kits in existence. I love seeing the suit show up in Build Fighters (even if it inevitably gets chumped), but at the same time it's like a punch in the gut because there's still no HGFC version. :negative:

The Kapool has cameoed in GBF, G-Reco, and the Capule in Try. It's the GM of Turn A, and the NG is the only kit :negative:

• Locked thread