Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Oh and look who's back.

:stare: Ummmm, it used to be an AR-15, when did they upgrade?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Those people realize that they did indeed come and take it, right?

History is lost on those that only fap to the parts they care about. But they are mostly masturbating over the Battle of Gonzales.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Those people realize that they did indeed come and take it, right?

"Remember the Alamo!"
"Al, we lost at the Alamo"
"No one remembers that!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Patrick met with reporters this morning and said open carry is unlikely. :eyepop: Good job gun nuts!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm more concerned about the tax cuts "no matter what".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well the House budget they unveiled last week has nothing for tax cuts right now and the Senate version they just trotted out has $4b , 3 for prop tax relief and 1 for franchise. Thats out of ~$200B AF/~$100B GR.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Oh sorry it's $600 a month also if you include the per diem.

I doubt many of them rely on it as a source of income. It's also not like the US Congress where they make almost $200k a year.

No the per diem is in addition.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't care what mil/gun types think. Tacti-cool guns suck and I wish they'd stop putting an M4 stock on everything.

Wood stocks, and the original cannon on that flag are way way better, and modern gun people have no taste.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Patrick met with reporters this morning and said open carry is unlikely. :eyepop: Good job gun nuts!

In that article, Patrick says that "campus carry" is likely to pass. Who the gently caress is pushing for this and why? Is there really a burning desire by a huge number or college students to carry their drat guns to class?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

In that article, Patrick says that "campus carry" is likely to pass. Who the gently caress is pushing for this and why? Is there really a burning desire by a huge number or college students carry their drat guns to class?

Who do you think is pushing it?

No, there is not a huge push by college students and every public university board opposes it vehemently for obvious reasons.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

No, there is not a huge push by college students and every public university board opposes it vehemently for obvious reasons.

Do they not remember this guy? Does history really have to repeat itself?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Listen, we don't believe in property owner's rights here in Texas. Collective Rights > Private Rights here in Texas. Yup Yup.

radical meme posted:

If more students had had high powered rifles and counter-sniper training that whole tragedy could have been prevented.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Public universities are public property which is the gun rights people's argument. Private universities would still be permitted to ban them, at least under the legislation that was floating last session.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Perry's challenge to his indictment was denied. Case will proceed.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Seriously I don't want to see what happens when yet another false report of a shooter goes around on this campus except this time with a bunch of people barely old enough to be carrying at all stalking around trying to be the one to stop the bad guy.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Sweet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The thing is is that the legislation that has been floated, and likely will be again, limits the privilege to people 21 and over, so there goes a quarter of all students. I would be shocked if the number of students CCing on UT campus is in the double digits. There might be some college republican types that carry just to carry after it passes, but in a few years, almost no one will be armed. This is all a bullshit non-issue drummed up by NRA legislative consultants who believe the fight for the second amendment must continue on all fronts at all times.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Trabisnikof posted:

If more students had had high powered rifles and counter-sniper training that whole tragedy could have been prevented.

Or if any of the doctors he talked to believed him when he said he had a brain tumor driving him nuts (he repeatedly sought out doctors saying he was having uncontrollable anger issues and wanted help). But that would require better training and medical services on the taxpayer dime, instead of MOAR GUNS on the taxpayer's dime.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 27, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alkydere posted:

Or if any of the doctors he talked to believed him when he said he had a brain tumor driving him nuts. But that would require better training and medical services on the taxpayer dime, instead of MOAR GUNS on the taxpayer's dime.

Bro it was 1966 I don't think you can draw a straight line to here from there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Bueno.

unrelated:
I hope the new legislature makes the cottage food law a bit better, maybe allow offering custards and perishable poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nonsense posted:

Bueno.

unrelated:
I hope the new legislature makes the cottage food law a bit better, maybe allow offering custards and perishable poo poo.

How does that benefit job creators though?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

zoux posted:

Bro it was 1966 I don't think you can draw a straight line to here from there.

I was making a joke, admittedly a bad one. Seriously though, guy was desperate enough for help that he even sought the help of a psychiatrist, which is pretty desperate for the day and time considering that admitting you might be crazy had an even bigger stigma back then.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Or if any of the doctors he talked to believed him when he said he had a brain tumor driving him nuts. But that would require better training and medical services on the taxpayer dime, instead of MOAR GUNS on the taxpayer's dime.

Putting deadly weapons in the hands of mentally ill people tends to end up with more of them dead through murder-suicide or plain ol' suicide anyway and therefore not our problem anymore. The system works.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

zoux posted:

I had to check out Open Carry Texas' Facebook and they are having a meltdown and attempting to flood his office with calls. One guy was told by a staffer that it isn't Patrick's fault, but other legislators. So he said, "Fine, tell me who they are." So the staffer diverted his call and it went to voice mail.

I laughed and laughed.

I do not want anyone carrying guns on campus (I'm at Texas State). It absolutely would not make me feel any safer. I can't fathom how they think it would make campus security's job any easier.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

The thing is is that the legislation that has been floated, and likely will be again, limits the privilege to people 21 and over, so there goes a quarter of all students. I would be shocked if the number of students CCing on UT campus is in the double digits. There might be some college republican types that carry just to carry after it passes, but in a few years, almost no one will be armed. This is all a bullshit non-issue drummed up by NRA legislative consultants who believe the fight for the second amendment must continue on all fronts at all times.
This is how I see it, too. And it applies to those who think there's a huge danger inherent in 21+ students being allowed -- or being prohibited -- from carrying. Fact is, if you go most places that's not on campus, people can legally carry a concealed weapon. And even then it's not exactly the most common thing. Most people don't pack heat. And most people don't think about it.

Svanja posted:

I do not want anyone carrying guns on campus (I'm at Texas State). It absolutely would not make me feel any safer. I can't fathom how they think it would make campus security's job any easier.
Eh. I dunno. There's an argument about just not wanting concealed weapons anywhere, which is fine. But the opposition to the proposal seems to revolve around the idea that campuses are fundamentally different kinds of places than the rest of the city. I find that dubious. I know Texas State is somewhat of a hotbed for the concealed carry types, and it's a more conservative campus.

Though I have to say I've never been convinced by the pro-carry types who say it *will* make campuses safer. The weapons are concealed. Few people carry them. There's no way to rationally judge your level of safety vis-a-vis concealed carry in an environment like that. It seems crazy to me to think you're safer or less safe depending on something you can't actually evaluate. Even if it's allowed, you can't *assume* anyone is carrying. As a security "solution" to campus shooters, it's insane.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 28, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

College students tend to be pretty loving reckless so I don't really want them armed.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

radical meme posted:

The only reason he was let onto campus was those damm open carry laws from the 60's. If only we could have stopped him with some laws.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

To no one's surprise, the proposed tax cuts are to property and franchise taxes, saving your average person little to nothing and the rich heaps and heaps.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Yea, ultimately this is a dumbass red meat bill for the crazy gun types that will have very little effect on anything. It's a chance to piss off those college liberals and the never-went-to-college base loves that poo poo. I'll gladly take them wasting their limited time in session on crap like this rather than things that could seriously wreck poo poo. (Much like the anti-"Sanctuary City" bill from the 2013 session, which had no effect on anything at all but was good for wasting time that could have been used on even more anti-abortion legislation.)

ReidRansom posted:

To no one's surprise, the proposed tax cuts are to property and franchise taxes, saving your average person little to nothing and the rich heaps and heaps.

As a homeowner in the state (in Austin no less, where our crazy property values have increased my tax burden about 40% over the five years I've owned my place) I wouldn't mind something like an increase in the homestead exemption, since that will be a benefit to people for the homes they live in and not just a boon for property speculators. Granted, it would probably be better to shave down some sales taxes (since that's the one that hits the poor the hardest) or even to just hold on to some of that surplus because that damned budget estimate is assuming that the average price of a barrel of oil over the next biennium is going to be $65-$70 a barrel (and there's no way that's happening with the current prices at where they are unless 2016 sees an unexpected rise to $95/bbl oil).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Theoretically, property tax cuts should benefit most people who rent as well, as the landlords are expected to pass those savings down to their tenants. Of course this doesn't happen at all but that's what they're going to say.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

zoux posted:

Theoretically, property tax cuts should benefit most people who rent as well, as the landlords are expected to pass those savings down to their tenants. Of course this doesn't happen at all but that's what they're going to say.

Of course that's what they're going to say. They'll also say lowering the franchise tax will allow businesses to expand or pass on reduced costs to consumers, but that's not going to happen either.

e_angst posted:

As a homeowner in the state (in Austin no less, where our crazy property values have increased my tax burden about 40% over the five years I've owned my place) I wouldn't mind something like an increase in the homestead exemption, since that will be a benefit to people for the homes they live in and not just a boon for property speculators.

That would actually be a good way to do it if they were earnest about helping middle and working class home owners, and I haven't seen what the plan is, but I'd expect that's not it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Yeah I'm not sure whitman is a good example for open carry being bad. Didn't he end up pinned down by dozens of civilians shooting at him?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From Our Brave Governor's twitter feed.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

The Ironic thing is, civilians were returning fire with hunting rifles, forcing Whitman to take cover, and one of the 3 men that went up the tower to take out Whitman was a civilian.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dahn posted:

The Ironic thing is, civilians were returning fire with hunting rifles, forcing Whitman to take cover, and one of the 3 men that went up the tower to take out Whitman was a civilian.

Which is exactly why we need mandatory rifle carry on all campuses.

All the cool kids at tamu already do it! :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poncho Nevarez, who is the Rep who had that on-video confrontation with the Open Carry Nutballs has been assigned DPS protection here and back in his districts because he's getting death threats.

I am pretty sure the lack of votes for open carry that Patrick alluded to yesterday is a direct result of this Nevarez thing. Politicians do not like being hosed with.

Also Perry is doing a press conference about his indictment at 11 am and the Tribune will be streaming it.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 28, 2015

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

zoux posted:

From Our Brave Governor's twitter feed.

is this a declaration of independence? when does the military they start bombing us?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

We do however require that you relinquish your local freedoms to an all-controlling state government. Thank you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ReidRansom posted:

We do however require that you relinquish your local freedoms to an all-controlling state government. Thank you.

One of those bills is insanely broad

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ha, that'd very much get rid of Austin's tree ordinance too.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno, that sounds like boilerplate enacting language, are you sure that isn't bracketed to just that bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

I dunno, that sounds like boilerplate enacting language, are you sure that isn't bracketed to just that bill.

No such luck.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/84R/billtext/pdf/SB00343I.pdf

It is a "nuke it from orbit" approach.