Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
We should come up with the Goon language of choice....

Suggestions for names:

shitface - You only code in this language once you have downed 12 cases of Stella....

GN - This language relies on strict grammar, the compiler hassles you about misused apostrophes and incorrect contractions.

NotOnMyOS (NOMOS)- this language will not run under any operating system as it classes them all as waste of space, uses hardware directly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

We should come up with the Goon language of choice....

Suggestions for names:

shitface - You only code in this language once you have downed 12 cases of Stella....

We already have php for that

e: wait sorry, php is twelve cases of cough syrup, my mistake

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I thought we settled on the Butts programming language, featuring the (_|_) operator.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

qntm posted:

I thought we settled on the Butts programming language, featuring the (_|_) operator.

Does it work this way?

pre:
 32 10      x
(__|__)   (_|_)
   x      *flush*

unclog sum.butt

>> 42

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Butts? What is this, the 90s? Program in dickbutt already

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheresaJayne posted:

NotOnMyOS (NOMOS)- this language will not run under any operating system as it classes them all as waste of space, uses hardware directly

Otherwise known as embedded C? :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

feedmegin posted:

Otherwise known as embedded C? :)

Nah, you can trick C to run in a unit test environment. I want a language runtime that catastrophically fails if it detects an OS à la IDT bit checking to find a VM.

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 26, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Here's a piece of awesome code that only contributed to the pain that was utf8 mysql databases with latin1 connections:

code:
Mysql2::Client::CHARSET_MAP["latin1"] = Encoding::UTF_8 if defined?(Encoding) && defined?(Mysql2)
Something about latin1 supposedly treating all strings as dumb binary but it doesn't actually work out that way (we very consistently got "invalid byte sequence" errors when it hit ruby and any operations on the string were attempted). What a huge clusterfuck that was for years before we finally got the go-ahead to make everything UTF8 properly.

(Also latin1 is traditionally ISO8559-1, but mysql uses Windows cp1252)

(gently caress character sets for life)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

ErIog posted:

gently caress it, someone should really just write a bot that reposts Jonathan Blow's twitter feed directly into this thread.

Regardless of whether or not the language is good, or whether or not his games are good, Jonathan Blow is That Guy. The one who desperately wants to be a Real Programmer (in the vein of Mel). He thinks he can't do what he does or something bad will happen if he doesn't have perfect control over everything, and only uses zero-cost abstractions and blah blah. He may have some sort of point if he were a core engine developer for Unreal or Crytek, but it starts to become silly when you look at actual semi-respected game programmers like John Carmack talking about how they kind of dig Common Lisp and Haskell and wish they had more time to learn it. What has Blow done? Oh, right, a decent platformer and an admittedly pretty adventure game.

There are certainly very peculiar and stringent concerns when it comes to writing real time simulations. That's not in question. However, those are already being addressed in the places they matter most. Things like DX12, Mantle, and the next Open GL are being designed to give better control over GPU device memory. That's well and good. He, on the other hand, always strikes me as that one guy on your project who writes this bloated mess and insists on using his own rewrite of half the standard library to "be faster" without actually benchmarking or profiling.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GrumpyDoctor posted:

It gives idiots a wrong answer to regurgitate on StackOverflow when someone asks how to kludge multiple dispatch in languages without multiple dispatch.
So what's the right answer? Besides "don't".

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Use the strengths of your language rather than trying to kludge some feature from another language into it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The one time I personally ran into it the language in question was C#, and I've since learned that you can use dynamic to do it passably.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Jsor posted:

Regardless of whether or not the language is good, or whether or not his games are good, Jonathan Blow is That Guy.

It's doubly weird compared to Mike Bithell's talks about the games he's made and his process, which basically boil down to "loving make something. Does it work well enough? Good enough. Does it not? Keep working on it until it does."

I think part of it is how they see themselves. It's a lot easier to say "Yeah, the code for TWA was kinda poo poo, I feel bad for the folks I paid to port it" if you're not the kind of person who feels that every aspect of their projects define them and their worth as a human being.

I feel like the majority of the code we see in this thread is written by people with too much of their self worth invested in this code, that they're going to make it work all by themselves, dammit, that their ideas are right, that it is the requirements that are wrong. Unskilled and too afraid to admit it and ask for a loving code review or a pair.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Storysmith posted:

It's doubly weird compared to Mike Bithell's talks about the games he's made and his process, which basically boil down to "loving make something. Does it work well enough? Good enough. Does it not? Keep working on it until it does."

The crazy thing is that Jonathan Blow's stated goal is not to make it that much easier for independent programmers but to make life better for people making triple A games. However, his background is in small teams where he is either the sole programmer or one of very few. He's done consulting on larger titles before, but who knows what that involved. He has these fantasies that this language is going to revolutionize how people make games, but he's ignoring what the real road blocks are to game development. Products like Gamemaker, Unity, and UE4 have done more to revolutionize the game industry than his language ever will. I know, it's crazy. There's really successful games that were made in languages that used GC, and nobody really cared. Binding of Isaac was made in Flash, which was a horror, but that game went on to sell literally millions of copies and be enjoyed by tons of people.

Even if he gets his language to a somewhat usable state, I doubt the majority of the people that touch it are going to want to dick around writing their own display code so they can make their small scale game. I also doubt the existing engine programmers for the commonly used engines are going to want to go through the pain of switching over. There was Quake 1 code floating around in engines up until only a few years ago. Western developers have been pretty proactive about using off-the-shelf middleware and engines. They all come with caveats, but devs seem to enjoy the basic efficiencies that come with that stuff.

This thing is apparently gonna give you blowjobs while you code in it because it's so efficient and awesome, but you're probably going to be spending a bunch of time writing file format loaders and reinventing the wheel. On the other hand, you could load up even the pile of poo poo that Unity is rapidly becoming, and have a prototype going in like a weekend if you're familiar with it. He seems to think of Games Programmers as an end unto themselves instead of the necessary cost outlay that needed to happen in order for designers and producers to put something together.

This goes back to your point that all of Blow's talk seems oddly divorced from what game development actually is in 2014. It's like if he were devoting his time to developing a really great movie editing process that relies on cutting physical negatives while you have financially lucrative movies being shot on what we would have called camcorders 15 years ago. He's dicking around in the technical weeds rather than focusing on what the actual goals of game development are.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 27, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The real problem is, a lot of game code is finely tuned over years. I've made a couple of games, but I like toying with engine tech mostly. They're pretty poo poo, but I learn a lot. I tend to work in languages without big game codebases (formerly Go, now Rust) and while I've managed to get simple things like graphics-oriented matrix math on par with known quantities like GLM, getting something like a physics engine to Bullet or Havok levels takes years of profiling, tuning, learning from mistakes, and reading. Same thing with all the little special cases that run graphics programming. Hardware instancing, CSG tools, and so on. A lot of that stuff is probably a 1 week project if you get the gist going into it, but getting it all written in a sane, performant manner is going to take a long time no matter what.

Like, even if this language is totally awesome, game developers are much better served by a black box function call that has been magically implemented by someone else that exploits cache locality and the new super fast, easy to tune constraint-based physics method described in [Dickbutt, 2013] than they are having the power to manually play with the motherboard fan controller, but still needing a year to reimplement known algorithms.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 27, 2015

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jsor posted:

The real problem is, a lot of game code is finely tuned over years. I've made a couple of games, but I like toying with engine tech mostly. They're pretty poo poo, but I learn a lot. I tend to work in languages without big game codebases (formerly Go, now Rust) and while I've managed to get simple things like graphics-oriented matrix math on par with known quantities like GLM, getting something like a physics engine to Bullet or Havok levels takes years of profiling, tuning, learning from mistakes, and reading. Same thing with all the little special cases that run graphics programming. Hardware instancing, CSG tools, and so on. A lot of that stuff is probably a 1 week project if you get the gist going into it, but getting it all written in a sane, performant manner is going to take a long time no matter what.

Like, even if this language is totally awesome, game developers are much better served by a black box function call that has been magically implemented by someone else that exploits cache locality and the new super fast, easy to tune constraint-based physics method described in [Dickbutt, 2013] than they are having the power to manually play with the motherboard fan controller, but still needing a year to reimplement known algorithms.

This doesn't only apply to games programming. There's a reason why things like scipy are basically fancy wrappers for FORTRAN routines.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jsor posted:

The real problem is, a lot of game code is finely tuned over years. I've made a couple of games, but I like toying with engine tech mostly.

Right, and Blow's experience is mostly on set-top boxes where he has to reinvent the wheel, in very small teams where nobody cares if he reinvents the wheel as long as it's not a giant obvious waste of time, and then also in consulting for optimizing specific pieces of larger code bases where one programmer essentially has ownership of the black box function they're writing. At no point is his experience on a global project level with multiple team members in an environment that has to hit a deadline 18 months out.

So all the stuff he's talking about does kind of make sense in his own bubble, but becomes :psyduck: when you start trying to generalize it to games programming as a whole. It's a kind of solipsism.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Soricidus posted:

There's a reason why things like scipy are basically fancy wrappers for FORTRAN routines.

The reason people wrap Fortran routines is not simply because somebody already wrote and carefully optimized LAPACK in Fortran.

Fortran is a fundamentally more suitable language for writing these routines than C, or indeed most more modern languages. It's much easier for compilers to perform alias analysis on Fortran than it is for C, allowing more aggressive loop kernel optimizations (among other things), and we don't have anything close to a mature, portable systems programming language that could replace C without suffering from these shortcomings. Technology has genuinely stagnated in this area, and as single-core performance plateaus and hardware manufacturers start considering more exotic architectures there will be ever more pressure to reconsider these foundations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Internet Janitor posted:

Fortran is a fundamentally more suitable language for writing these routines than C, or indeed most more modern languages. It's much easier for compilers to perform alias analysis on Fortran

Fortran? The language where everything is global and you can redefine a number literal with a SWAP procedure?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

Fortran? The language where everything is global and you can redefine a number literal with a SWAP procedure?

Fortran, which doesn't traditionally have a pointer type, meaning you can assume that variable a isn't going to be modified by someone doing b = &a; *b = 42. For optimisation within a function this is way more important.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think you're a little confused about F-languages!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought all values in Fortran were pass-by-reference.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

you can redefine a number literal with a SWAP procedure?

Is that a thing in modern fortrans anymore? ("modern" == "77 or later")

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought all values in Fortran were pass-by-reference.

They are, but Fortran has a strong aliasing rule on parameters: if the same object is passed by reference to two separate parameters, or passed by reference in a way that the original object is accessible to the subprogram, you aren't allowed to modify it through either reference (or else it's undefined behavior). Fortran 90 added pointers, but I think they're still pretty restricted about what they can randomly alias; this is still mostly hearsay, though, I haven't really studied the Fortran specs.

Similarly, you can pass a constant as a by-reference argument, but if you do, you aren't allowed to assign to that parameter (or else it's undefined behavior). Fortran 90 made this type-checkable; a parameter that's explicitly INTENT(OUT) or INTENT(INOUT) can't be passed a constant, and a VALUE parameter is, actually, passed by value. There may also be a language rule somewhere that says you copy-in constants by default; that would be a sensible fix, but again, I can't claim to be an expert.

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 27, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

That was an old bug that actually happened (or, rather, wasn't disallowed) in old Fortran compilers, but it was fixed by Fortran '77 at least.

Fortran's aliasing rules are what makes it able to optimize so well. I think C can actually get similar speed by compiling with -fstrict-aliasing (on GCC), but nobody does. I wonder if Rust can get to Fortran speeds in a hypothetical future since it has similar assumptions about ownership and mutability. I think it can in principle, but since Fortran was sort of written by engineers and scientists for engineers and scientists it had a focus on this stuff, I doubt Rust's authors are interested in doing the kind of analysis necessary for high performance numerical computing (but then, it is open source so maybe someone else is).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 27, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
From my newspaper's website:

Does Ruby (RoR?) always spit out so much code with errors? Also, wouldn't the proper way to handle error messages in production be to log it and fail silently/show minimal data? I'd personally consider so much error info a security horror. Some really big newspapers use this same core website as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if the info here applies to those as well.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

Knyteguy posted:

Does Ruby (RoR?) always spit out so much code with errors? Also, wouldn't the proper way to handle error messages in production be to log it and fail silently/show minimal data? I'd personally consider so much error info a security horror. Some really big newspapers use this same core website as well, so I wouldn't be surprised if the info here applies to those as well.

Looks like a misconfigured web server that's serving up source code instead of executing it. An administration horror, if you will.

There's also a lesser coding horror: using CGI in 2015.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Jsor posted:

I doubt Rust's authors are interested in doing the kind of analysis necessary for high performance numerical computing (but then, it is open source so maybe someone else is).

So far they're all like "let's hope we can eventually pass all our aliasing info on to llvm for use with future, more advanced optimization passes", I think right now they aren't doing any optimizations themselves.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Movac posted:

More horrific, a CGI script ostensibly intended to run as a server-side include that uses wget to write to a temp file on every invocation.

quote:

FIXME: Temporary override for Net::HTTP, until I can figure out why it causes an Internal Server Error on Pluck... weird.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Knyteguy posted:

Yeah this has literally nothing to do with Ruby or RoR. It's like they File.read a .rb file or something.

edit: and that is some awful code getting spit out. Gross.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I like the comment in the middle that appears to say "remember to not insert the text here"

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
I just wish that instead of BASIC the early Z80s had ALL used Forth instead,

I still remember the amazement when i came across the Jupiter Ace as well as later on the MUF programming language.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Jsor posted:

I think C can actually get similar speed by compiling with -fstrict-aliasing (on GCC), but nobody does.

Nobody does because GCC defaults it for -O2 and -Os since many years anyway.

You'll find a lot of code turning it off though, because most programmers can't write correct C and in most cases don't think they are supposed to either, so they rant like this: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg01647.html

Apple's GCC build turns it off by default. MSVC doesn't do it at all.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Movac posted:

Is there an easier way to just quickly get something online? It's an additional advantage that I can just write my stuff in just about any language.

(I don't really do webdev, but sometimes I want to put a quick hack online.)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Athas posted:

Is there an easier way to just quickly get something online? It's an additional advantage that I can just write my stuff in just about any language.

(I don't really do webdev, but sometimes I want to put a quick hack online.)

Pretty much every language has a light-weight web framework at this point.

e: or hell, use a heavy framework

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Skuto posted:

You'll find a lot of code turning it off though, because most programmers can't write correct C and in most cases don't think they are supposed to either, so they rant like this: http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg01647.html

Unsurprising to see Torvalds advocating for cleansing and eugenics.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

KernelSlanders posted:

Pretty much every language has a light-weight web framework at this point.

e: or hell, use a heavy framework

But don't they just use CGI underneath? I haven't kept up that well with trends in Python web frameworks but I thought CGI was the way to get it working on Apache since the native module died.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Munkeymon posted:

But don't they just use CGI underneath? I haven't kept up that well with trends in Python web frameworks but I thought CGI was the way to get it working on Apache since the native module died.
Nope, frameworks these days often act as web servers themselves. CGI is really dumb and slow and nobody uses it these days.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So I got into a debate about silly 'design patterns', and I thought I'd share two of my favorite Java classes. One is the AbstractSingletonProxyFactoryBean (which I still don't know what you'd use for), and the RequestProcessorFactoryFactory (which is, technically, a factoryfactoryfactory).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

pigdog posted:

Nope, frameworks these days often act as web servers themselves. CGI is really dumb and slow and nobody uses it these days.

Turns out I was thinking of mod_wsgi, anyway, which I guess the cool kids have abandoned for gnuicorn or uWSGI. Neat!