Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Lord of Hats posted:

Really, with how they're trying to grow the brand (DotP, movie, that board game), I'm kind of surprised they haven't tried to license a video game that uses the setting and characters but not the actual rules. WotC sucks at technology, it's true, but I can't help but wonder how much money there could be there.

There was a Magic video game for the original Xbox and PC.

There was also a Tactics game for PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Haha that tactics game was so dumb, requiring real money to buy new pieces, and not insignificant amounts and if IIRC they came in random booster packs.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Forgive me if it's been covered but is there any established reason why a guy who helped defeat and lock away the Eldrazi has a land that helps you find and cast them? That seems like a bizarre disconnect.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Forgive me if it's been covered but is there any established reason why a guy who helped defeat and lock away the Eldrazi has a land that helps you find and cast them? That seems like a bizarre disconnect.
The Eye is where Bolas got Sarkhan and friends to go to release the Eldrazi. Presumably the flavour is that you are doing the same thing by having the Eye on the battlefield.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lancelot posted:

The Eye is where Bolas got Sarkhan and friends to go to release the Eldrazi. Presumably the flavour is that you are doing the same thing by having the Eye on the battlefield.

I always thought the Eye was something that drew in the Eldrazi, like it summoned them to the trap.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Hey what was the verdict on those FOUR binders? Massdrop sent me a message saying they were back on sale, and 150 people have ordered them in a couple hours. Are they actually that good?

Cernunnos posted:

I don't know what the Massdrop price is but they can be pretty cool if you want to display playsets of cards or are just looking for a bigger (but not so much bigger as to be a hassle) binder for trades.

The regular price of $40 is a bit of a turn off to me, much as I'd love to display playsets of Fetches and other stuff easily (mostly garbage but I like it :smith: ).

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have the V1s but I haven't tried the sideloaders. Last run had a bunch of quality control problems.
I just ordered two from eBay, and I think it came to $45 each with shipping. I did get alerted to the massdrop, which ends up costing about $35 each. When you compare that to the price of monster binders, it's not that bad.

My thoughts on the V2's:
Pros:
4 cards in a row, playset... sweeettttt

Cons:
Can't keep cards in sleeves, as it will tear the pocket if you try
Quality isn't at the same level as ultra pro or monster binders, and more similar to sports card binders(cheapish)

I would wait until they get to the third or fourth generation before investing in another one myself. I hear the next gen will have a zipper to close, which seems cool.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I ordered four of the first version of FOUR. I ended up selling three for 60-100 each because I didn't like them enough to keep them when I knew they were selling for more than I paid.
The thing I really dont like about them is the cover. Feels really weak.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jassi007 posted:

I always thought the Eye was something that drew in the Eldrazi, like it summoned them to the trap.

If I remember the flavor article right, that is exactly what it did.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MySwan posted:

I personally can't wait 20 years when they're really running on fumes and they produce stupid/awsome blocks based on food or hip-hop or whatever
I think the logical "we're running out of ideas" block would be a crossover one. Alara already established that worlds can collide, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Phyrexia vs The Eldrazi

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Phyrexia vs The Eldrazi

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I want the Phyrexians to encounter the Eldrazi and compleat them.

I want an Emrakul, Father of Machines card.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Entropic posted:

Phyrexia vs The Eldrazi

vs Slivers.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Slivers are native to Rath, which is an artificial plane created by??

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Slivers are native to Rath, which is an artificial plane created by??

Slivers vs. Flowstone

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Haha that tactics game was so dumb, requiring real money to buy new pieces, and not insignificant amounts and if IIRC they came in random booster packs.

That sounds familiar

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

theironjef posted:

vs Slivers.
Eldrazi Sliver 7
Creature - Sliver
Slivers you control have Annihilator 1.
3/3

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Eldrazi Sliver 7
Creature - Sliver
3/3

oh my god

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

lol

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yawgmoth posted:

Eldrazi Sliver 7
Creature - Sliver
3/3

Phyrexian Sliver 1(B-Phyrexian)(B-Phyrexian)
Creature - Sliver
You may pay colored mana in the casting costs of slivers you cast by paying 2 life instead.
2/2

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The last block before the game goes tits up is going to be Phyexian Sliver Eldrazi creatures. Like Zerg infested Protoss Terrans. :getin:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

The last block before the game goes tits up is going to be Phyexian Sliver Eldrazi creatures. Like Zerg infested Protoss Terrans. :getin:

I actually have a real hard time imagining Magic completely fading out for a very long time. The game is insanely popular and has a wealth of resources to mine to make the game continually fresh. The rotating formats keeps the barrier to entry low enough that a new crop of players can always be recruited in. Now I could see it becoming more niche as interest wanes, but the structure of the game is just to good at acquiring new players for it to entirely disappear without something drastic occurring.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I actually have a real hard time imagining Magic completely fading out for a very long time. The game is insanely popular and has a wealth of resources to mine to make the game continually fresh. The rotating formats keeps the barrier to entry low enough that a new crop of players can always be recruited in. Now I could see it becoming more niche as interest wanes, but the structure of the game is just to good at acquiring new players for it to entirely disappear without something drastic occurring.

I think you're responding to this way too seriously

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
We'll know Magic has truly hit the big time when the Anime is produced. I mean it's already got a Manga so it's halfway there.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the logical "we're running out of ideas" block would be a crossover one. Alara already established that worlds can collide, right?

Alara started as one plane so not quite. HOWEVER Rath was overlayed onto Dominaria.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

forbidden lesbian posted:

We'll know Magic has truly hit the big time when the Anime is produced. I mean it's already got a Manga so it's halfway there.

I would love to watch a magic anime starring Japanese JvC Jace, or at least have him star in a manga series written by Ken Akamatsu and then poorly rendered as Anime but then redeemed into great OVA's.

Mostly because it is the most anime magic art I can think of.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Finally getting around to watching SCG Washington and i am glad to see that there are at least 2 reasonably viable combo decks floating around the format. Combo nonsense is my jam and I missed it.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 28, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Duel Masters was 10 years ago.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Randy gets a Turn 1 kill on the draw in VSL against LSV (who played a Doomsday deck).

Full sequence after Luis Thoughtseizes a Preordain on the play: "Gitaxian Probe (into Preordain), Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, Black Lotus, Expedition Map, Lotus Petal, Tolarian Academy, tap Academy for 5, Preordain, draw Tezzeret the Seeker, tap Mox and use 4 floating blue mana to cast Tezzeret, activate Tezzeret’s middle ability to find an artifact with cmc 4, put Charbelcher into play, sacrifice Black Lotus for 3 mana, use that mana to activate the Charbelcher, revealing a library with no lands to deal 49 damage and put Luis at -33."

Real Combo Magic™

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

I would love to watch a magic anime starring Japanese JvC Jace, or at least have him star in a manga series written by Ken Akamatsu and then poorly rendered as Anime but then redeemed into great OVA's.

I want the inevitable episode where Jace and Chandra stumble into our world, find out that they are fictional characters in a card game and then leave and the events of the episode are never referenced again.

Maro has a special guest appearance as "Comic Bookstore Nerd".

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Randy gets a Turn 1 kill on the draw in VSL against LSV (who played a Doomsday deck).

Full sequence after Luis Thoughtseizes a Preordain on the play: "Gitaxian Probe (into Preordain), Mox Jet, Mox Ruby, Black Lotus, Expedition Map, Lotus Petal, Tolarian Academy, tap Academy for 5, Preordain, draw Tezzeret the Seeker, tap Mox and use 4 floating blue mana to cast Tezzeret, activate Tezzeret’s middle ability to find an artifact with cmc 4, put Charbelcher into play, sacrifice Black Lotus for 3 mana, use that mana to activate the Charbelcher, revealing a library with no lands to deal 49 damage and put Luis at -33."

Real Combo Magic™

Gotta be honest, that Mono-U Belcher deck looks sick, tho of course this is a terribly small reference pool.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I want the inevitable episode where Jace and Chandra stumble into our world, find out that they are fictional characters in a card game and then leave and the events of the episode are never referenced again.

Maro has a special guest appearance as "Comic Bookstore Nerd".

Also the episode was removed because it gave kids seizures. And then jace removes himself from everyone else's memories.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

I want Araki to do Magic. Call it Urza's Bizarre Planeswalk, every 'walker has a Deck instead of a Stand, and they fight by posing and putting their lands in front of their nonland permanents.

EDIT: Or maybe based on players.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 28, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Serperoth posted:

I want Araki to do Magic. Call it Urza's Bizarre Planeswalk, every 'walker has a Deck instead of a Stand, and they fight by posing and putting their lands in front of their nonland permanents.

This is my stand 『Mountain』

also, "And next you'll say... I swing for lethal with all my dudes"

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 28, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

New Uncharted Realms, where we learn about Alesha's name.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

In case someone missed it (several on other forums didn't seem to get it, yes, Alesha is transgender.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 28, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
nobody missed it here i hope, i just didn't want to mention it because well

I don't trust you nerds not to make a huge argument out of it

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

It was dope.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

Duel Masters was 10 years ago.

:allears:

Also, new uncharted realms http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/truth-names-2015-01-28

tl;dr Alesha confirmed for badass and is transgender.

edit; welp, sniped.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kizudarake posted:

That sounds familiar

I know it seems like that's the joke but MTGO was at least founded on over a decade of success and the tactics game had nothing but a licensing connection. It was also just a bad tactics game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Alesha is a baller. She's great.

• Locked thread