Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pukestain Pal posted:

Yeah, it's 120. What would cause that?

Exposure through the backing paper, one way or another. Most likely if you handle the loading or unloading of the camera in direct sun, or perhaps if the light seal on the camera back isn't perfect.
I've seen it a few times myself, but I'm honestly not entirely sure myself. I just know I have negatives with shadows of circled frame numbers etc. right in the middle of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

nielsm posted:

Exposure through the backing paper, one way or another. Most likely if you handle the loading or unloading of the camera in direct sun, or perhaps if the light seal on the camera back isn't perfect.
I've seen it a few times myself, but I'm honestly not entirely sure myself. I just know I have negatives with shadows of circled frame numbers etc. right in the middle of them.

I guess when I shoot 3200 again I'll be way more careful on when I load/unload film. I'm pretty sure I did both in my hotel room that wasn't all the bright, but don't remember for sure. I'm developing a roll of HP5 tonight that went on the trip with me, so hopefully that doesn't have the same issue.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Understanding posted:

I've seen a giant rayograph print at MoMA, I've even seen a mattress used to print one too.

You can use cyanotype chems to do that kind of photogram if you aren't lucky enough to have the name Man Ray.

Understanding posted:

this is the first I've heard of such a thing.

It seems kind of handy for lots of different alt printing processes that are UV dependent, especially for people who live in non-tropical or cloudy places.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

voodoorootbeer posted:

It seems kind of handy for lots of different alt printing processes that are UV dependent, especially for people who live in non-tropical or cloudy places.

And the other issue is getting reproducibility in your printing process. If you can get a good recipe going and know you'll get at least get a decent print out of it, or know if the negative isn't quite right without having to spend hours trying to figure out why things look like crap.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

voodoorootbeer posted:

I've used one made of florescent UV lights and planks of wood connected to an old darkroom timer, my professor does a lot of alternative process prints and wrote a literal poo poo-ton of information over his process, mostly dealing with the setup of what he calls the "digital negative".

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Is any of his writing online?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

deaders posted:

The general consensus is that film under 3200 ISO really isn't an issue in carry on baggage. I have flown with Tr-x in 35mm and 120 a few times and and have not noticed any issues with it at all after developing.

Yes, but the issue is checked luggage, not carry-on. I can't speak to why Spedman never had issues even with film in checked luggage, but I've definitely seen anecdata to suggest it *can* be a problem. It's probably only some airports and some randomly selected bags that get put through the higher dose xray machines.

To me, it's just not worth the risk. I'll put my film through the carry-on xrays without a second thought (though I get hand checks instead when there's time and I don't mind the additional inconvenience), so in my mind there's absolutely no reason to put film in checked luggage.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

Just scanned in some Delta 3200 from my trip. It ended up having to go through a carryon xray machine once because of some issues with flights. See those white dots? Is that a byproduct of the xray pass? Any ideas?

Hanoi by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Contrary to what other people are saying about exposure through the backing paper, that just looks like water spots to me.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Understanding posted:

wrote a literal poo poo-ton of information over his process

Spedman posted:

Let's hope not. My Wi-Fi router sits close to some artwork I'm quite fond of, I don't need literal poo poo spraying out of that thing by the ton.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

MrBlandAverage posted:

Contrary to what other people are saying about exposure through the backing paper, that just looks like water spots to me.

The whole wash was done with distilled water and dried for a day. I can't imagine that being the case, but I guess it's possible. I think it's just going to remain :iiam:. I'll do a rewash and see what happens just for kicks though.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

In case anyone hates money, KEH is doing 10% bodies, 15% lenses, 20% everything else sale with the code SITEWIDE today.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Pukestain Pal posted:

In case anyone hates money, KEH is doing 10% bodies, 15% lenses, 20% everything else sale with the code SITEWIDE today.

I just saved like $40 on a Mamiya TLR and so should you. Discount doesn't work on film tho.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Spedman posted:

His negative workflow was posted online on his tumblr, which I painstakingly sifted through and tagged so I could find it later. His actual printing process he doesn't go over because
1. He goes over again and again how many variables there can be so he feels any numbers he can give are practically useless in his opinion.
2. I guess he want's to keep his secrets close to him? He said it took him a few years to get his process close to how he want's his final prints.

anyway you can find it here http://dammit-joe.tumblr.com/search/Gum+Bichromate

and if you wanna sift through and find some animated gifs he made of him working, http://tonygonzalezartist.tumblr.com/

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

Yes, but the issue is checked luggage, not carry-on. I can't speak to why Spedman never had issues even with film in checked luggage, but I've definitely seen anecdata to suggest it *can* be a problem. It's probably only some airports and some randomly selected bags that get put through the higher dose xray machines.

To me, it's just not worth the risk. I'll put my film through the carry-on xrays without a second thought (though I get hand checks instead when there's time and I don't mind the additional inconvenience), so in my mind there's absolutely no reason to put film in checked luggage.

Sorry if I was a little confusing before, I totally agree with MrBlandAverage, don't check your film, always put it in your carry-on bags, checked bags get hammered with X-Rays. The reason why I mentioned it before is that on my last trip between Aus and US I had to put my Instax with a few shots left in it in my checked bag because of space in my carry-on. There were no ill effects, but I sure as hell wasn't going to put my Portra 400 in there on the trip back.

Thanks for those links Understanding, I'll be sure to check them out today.

If anybody is interested in Alt Processing stuff, I highly recommend Jill Enfields book: http://www.amazon.com/Enfields-Guide-Photographic-Alternative-Processes/dp/0415810248

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

oh man OM glass get innnnn :homebrew:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Spedman posted:

Sorry if I was a little confusing before, I totally agree with MrBlandAverage, don't check your film, always put it in your carry-on bags, checked bags get hammered with X-Rays. The reason why I mentioned it before is that on my last trip between Aus and US I had to put my Instax with a few shots left in it in my checked bag because of space in my carry-on. There were no ill effects, but I sure as hell wasn't going to put my Portra 400 in there on the trip back.

Yeah, I absolutely didn't throw my film in checked baggage. I don't hate throwing away photos.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Does Wal Mart still send out C-41 120 film to be developed really cheap if you don't need prints?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

135mm f/2.8 and a winder coming for my OM-1. gently caress yeah :pcgaming:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

:cabot: :cabot: :cabot: just shook on a deal to get a mamiya c3 from a dorkroom goon and have ordered some hp5 120 and a 80mm f/2.8 lens for it (ontop of the 105mm it's coming with :cabot: :cabot: :cabot:

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

Just scored a really old bottle of hc-110 from my school's lab. It's date code is 0125 and marked 11/01, way before any of the professors started here. Still in it's original opaque gray bottle. I'd be more excited except i dont have smaller bottles to decant it, and i've heard from you guys about how it eats through the bottle over time. But i guess if it hadn't by now it might not at all.

This is all good since i have a half gallon of d-76 left and it's probably expired by now.

Moving on to alt printing, i'll be emailing my professor later tonight about the actual gum bichromate printing process, and when i finally get it (i did ask for it last semester) i'll share what i can.

Also, I got like 5 rolls of 400tx 120 from a grad student I know who told me it went through xrays like 6 times, and some paper is coming my way from another grad student! It's good to be a broke as college student.

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 30, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

What happened here?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The most irritating part of working in recycling is dealing with all the worthless junk people recycle.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

atomicthumbs posted:

The most irritating part of working in recycling is dealing with all the worthless junk people recycle.

:eyepop:

That's one hell of a find.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

f youuuuuuuuuuuu

my favorite part about buying vintage lenses at bargain prices, is the previous owner most likely kept a UV or skylight filter on it for the it's entire lifespan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

holy poo poo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

had to look this up because i dont know things but :lol::lol:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Acros is a really good film.

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

So the colors in Portra 400 are as good as it gets. Look at this.

Untitled

mulls fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 3, 2015

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
So this might be a rather tangential question, but I am an xray tech by trade and found a lot of neato teaching films of wild diseases in the basement storage at work. I would really like to digitize them and share their educational goodies, but I am not really sure how to go about this short of paying some records storage company that has a film digitizer. A brief look seems that my best bet would to just take em up on a lightbox and snap a shot with my crummy old digital camera as all the scanners I have access to do not have a 17"x14" field. Are there any suggestions as to how to go about this if someone has some sort of experience in digitizing film? Such as the kind of settings I should use.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

mulls posted:

Untitled

dat color

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum by Paul Frederiksen on 500px

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Asproigerosis posted:

So this might be a rather tangential question, but I am an xray tech by trade and found a lot of neato teaching films of wild diseases in the basement storage at work. I would really like to digitize them and share their educational goodies, but I am not really sure how to go about this short of paying some records storage company that has a film digitizer. A brief look seems that my best bet would to just take em up on a lightbox and snap a shot with my crummy old digital camera as all the scanners I have access to do not have a 17"x14" field. Are there any suggestions as to how to go about this if someone has some sort of experience in digitizing film? Such as the kind of settings I should use.
17x14 is enormous, I have worked with those X-ray sheets (years ago) and I have fond memories. Anyway, if you have, can get, or can build a light table big enough for them, you can easily digitize them with even a basic digital camera and some ingenuity.

As for settings, a macro lens is very handy. If you don't have one and can't borrow one, the basic kit lens will get the job done. The idea is to set up the camera centred on the light table, put it in manual focus and take a few test shots to line it up exactly, and use some middle value for the aperture and the camera's "native" ISO - typically that will be about 100. A tripod is necessary, you can happily use longer exposures (like 1/4 second) on a tripod setup that are impossible to do hand-held.

What is your digicam?

And are you at any risk of getting into or causing trouble by doing this?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

More cyanotypes in the works... Not sure if I want to tone this one or let it stand as is.

In progress by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
That looks really good as is.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

mulls posted:

Untitled

Hence the name of the thread :D

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

voodoorootbeer posted:

More cyanotypes in the works... Not sure if I want to tone this one or let it stand as is.

In progress by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

How big are the negatives you're working with?

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

Spedman posted:

How big are the negatives you're working with?

I'm cheating and printing digital negs on 8.5x11 transparency sheets although I did shoot the source image on tri-x in this case. Maybe someday I'll add large format to my stable but no time soon.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

With all the hassle of shooting, developing and getting the right negs from 8x10, I'm considering printing up some transparencies.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

a package of pictorico transparencies is only $21 at 8.5"x11", and even then, you'll probably get good results using less expensive kinds.

My professor had a way of find both a good exposure time, and a good tone curve to work out of, using a printout of boxes from 1-100% black. When I get my paper and chems, I'll probably end up doing the same and make my own tone curve in photoshop to run the negatives through. In the mean time though, I have to come up with an idea to begin my project for the semester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

split tonin like it's 1849

split-toned by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

Source image shot on Tri-x with Zeiss Ikon Nettar because why the hell not. sorry for the cell phone quality.