Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sizone posted:

Probably not. That's a lot of money for not a lot of synth.

Well it's not really about how much money for how much synth, but will it provide a decent "guts" learning experience.

And if the answer is still no, then is there any other better option or recommended reading for really learning the ins and outs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

If you're looking for something small with a mod matrix, the MicroBrute is not too bad. Cheaper too, with more usable keys. And a sequencer!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

If you're looking for something small with a mod matrix, the MicroBrute is not too bad. Cheaper too, with more usable keys. And a sequencer!

I'm probably gonna get the MicroBrute or something soon, but the Workstatt thing is more about putting together a synth from the ground up...soldering and what not... to give you an actual understanding of HOW a synth really works before moving on to bigger and better things. I'm not really interested in it as a synth for synth's sake... just a learning tool.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The version sold now isn't the workshop version- no soldering required. It just snaps together.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

The version sold now isn't the workshop version- no soldering required. It just snaps together.

Oh. Well. That's loving pointless! And answers my questions, thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think all of y'all should watch this video about the Werkstatt-Ø1, especially from 7:15 on, because:

1. Assembly is screwing it into a case, you're not going to learn soldering from just the thing you get from Moog.
2. On the other hand it has all these documented break and insert points (inside the case, so beyond the external patch points) and even a freestanding patch matrix for modding and rerouting the thing in and out of other electronics, which makes this a thing suitable for starting cuircuitbenders. It was pretty much made for that. So, just looking at the specs and the control panel and saying it's not a lot of synth for the money is also not really cutting it when describing what the thing is.

But if you're interested in a solder-by-the-numbers thing, this isn't it, unless you're already checking out modding instructions for it and plan on buying additional crap for that.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Yeah honestly, with all of the CV options on there, you're basically getting a modular synth voice for $300 which isn't bad.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
It can also make Moog sounds. It's on my list along with finding the Kurzweil MicroEnsemble for under $200.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

BonoMan posted:

I'm probably gonna get the MicroBrute or something soon, but the Workstatt thing is more about putting together a synth from the ground up...soldering and what not... to give you an actual understanding of HOW a synth really works before moving on to bigger and better things. I'm not really interested in it as a synth for synth's sake... just a learning tool.

In that case this will probably be what you're after: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Flipperwaldt posted:

I think all of y'all should watch this video about the Werkstatt-Ø1, especially from 7:15 on, because:

1. Assembly is screwing it into a case, you're not going to learn soldering from just the thing you get from Moog.
2. On the other hand it has all these documented break and insert points (inside the case, so beyond the external patch points) and even a freestanding patch matrix for modding and rerouting the thing in and out of other electronics, which makes this a thing suitable for starting cuircuitbenders. It was pretty much made for that. So, just looking at the specs and the control panel and saying it's not a lot of synth for the money is also not really cutting it when describing what the thing is.

But if you're interested in a solder-by-the-numbers thing, this isn't it, unless you're already checking out modding instructions for it and plan on buying additional crap for that.

Good to know. The only thing I was trying to get out of it is "will it help me actually understand the basics of a synth, why things do what they do and why elements are called what they are?" Whether it's soldering or made with cheese and string or what I really don't care... just if it actually helps learn as that's what out seems made to do.

ozmunkeh posted:

In that case this will probably be what you're after: http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

Perfect thanks!

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 28, 2015

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

BonoMan posted:

Good to know. The only thing I was trying to get out of it is "will it help me actually understand the basics of a synth, why things do what they do and why elements are called what they are?" Whether it's soldering or made with cheese and string or what I really don't care... just if it actually helps learn as that's what out seems made to do.

Perfect thanks!

Honestly there are a ton of low cost analog synths on the market right now. You'll learn more from actually playing with each knob than you ever would from actually building it. You don't need to know the engineering to know how to make music with a synth, or even what each part does in an abstract way. This cheesy 80's series here explains everything pretty well:

http://www.producingbeats.com/videos/new-york-school-synthesis-intro-synthesis

That said, I'd stay away from DIY until you know how it's supposed to work or you'll never figure out what the hell you broke. And for the love of god stay away from modular until you know your way around regular synths, it's a gear junkies money pit.

Seriously, get a MicroBrute($300) or even a Volca Keys($150), something cheap. Lots of folks have these, they can give you tips.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

AxeBreaker posted:

You'll learn more from actually playing with each knob than you ever would from actually building it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AxeBreaker posted:

Honestly there are a ton of low cost analog synths on the market right now. You'll learn more from actually playing with each knob than you ever would from actually building it. You don't need to know the engineering to know how to make music with a synth, or even what each part does in an abstract way. This cheesy 80's series here explains everything pretty well:

http://www.producingbeats.com/videos/new-york-school-synthesis-intro-synthesis

That said, I'd stay away from DIY until you know how it's supposed to work or you'll never figure out what the hell you broke. And for the love of god stay away from modular until you know your way around regular synths, it's a gear junkies money pit.

Seriously, get a MicroBrute($300) or even a Volca Keys($150), something cheap. Lots of folks have these, they can give you tips.

That MFOS link gave me ask the info I think I'll need. But it wasn't about thinking I needed that info to make music... I was just interested in how they worked. I was prob gonna get a microbrute regardless and this was just something I was looking at in parallel as a learning tool. I'll skip it though.

(And yeah I think I'll stay away from DIY for now)

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 28, 2015

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

renderful posted:

AxeBreaker quote

Seriously this. When I first started out seriously with synthesizers a year or two ago, I didn't know anything about synthesizers. Ended up buying a Virus KC and played around with all the knobs and routings in the modulation matrix and now I know that synth (and similar synths like it) pretty well. Nothing beats actually having a well laid-out synth in front of you and playing around with the knobs.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

VoodooXT posted:

Seriously this. When I first started out seriously with synthesizers a year or two ago, I didn't know anything about synthesizers. Ended up buying a Virus KC and played around with all the knobs and routings in the modulation matrix and now I know that synth (and similar synths like it) pretty well. Nothing beats actually having a well laid-out synth in front of you and playing around with the knobs.

The key lesson (and seemingly the hardest lesson for noobs like me) is that you really need to sit down with ONE synth and turn knobs. Get to know one noisemaker inside out, and only then think about expanding beyond that. If you pick up too much gear too early on, you're really only hobbling yourself and your learning process. Plus the more time you invest with a synth, the easier it is to dial in a specific sound when inspiration hits. Not to mention actually knowing the intricacies and oddities of a particular unit's step sequencer/patch memory/pattern mode/whatever. If you get a MicroBrute, don't treat it like a stepping stone to your next bigger, badder synth, treat it like a piano or guitar. Become fluent in one instrument before learning your next one.

Now one of these days I'll actually do what I just suggested, ha!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

If you get a MicroBrute, don't treat it like a stepping stone to your next bigger, badder synth, treat it like a piano or guitar. Become fluent in one instrument before learning your next one.

Just learn the basics of substractive synthesis, applies to any and all analog style synth and beyond. Microbrute by itself isn't going to do much, mono and the sequencer is just slightly better than arpeggiator. If youre just starting out hardware will be more of a hinderance beyond "turning knobs" if the goal is to get something resembling music/song out of it.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
In the middle of recording my boner jam and realizing that this doesn't sound sexy at all. :flaccid:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

MrLonghair posted:

It can also make Moog sounds. It's on my list along with finding the Kurzweil MicroEnsemble for under $200.

Think you might be real disappointed with how little a single osc, single a/d envelope box ends up sounding like a mini.

VoodooXT posted:

In the middle of recording my boner jam and realizing that this doesn't sound sexy at all. :flaccid:

It's cool. When startyde sequences the tracks, maybe he'll do a hard side and a soft side.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Here's my Boner Jamz '14 submission: KYH - Private Dick

Listen to my terrible keyboard solo :smithicide:

Anyway Startyde, I'll PM you the link to the WAV file on my Google Drive.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Sizone posted:

It's cool. When startyde sequences the tracks, maybe he'll do a hard side and a soft side.

Ya got ta get up for the down stroke

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

The key lesson (and seemingly the hardest lesson for noobs like me) is that you really need to sit down with ONE synth and turn knobs. Get to know one noisemaker inside out, and only then think about expanding beyond that. If you pick up too much gear too early on, you're really only hobbling yourself and your learning process. Plus the more time you invest with a synth, the easier it is to dial in a specific sound when inspiration hits. Not to mention actually knowing the intricacies and oddities of a particular unit's step sequencer/patch memory/pattern mode/whatever. If you get a MicroBrute, don't treat it like a stepping stone to your next bigger, badder synth, treat it like a piano or guitar. Become fluent in one instrument before learning your next one.

depending on your personality i would also suggest starting out with a synth with fewer features, not more, and definitely lean towards something that has a lot of knobs instead of involving menu diving. my first synth was an Ultranova and i had no flippin' clue how to make it do anything beyond the presets / changing the waveform and filter cutoff. the flexibility was crushing when it should have been liberating. even now, if i can't get the sound that i want it feels like it's because i haven't tried hard enough to get what i want out of it.

it wasn't until i sat down with a much simpler synth and really learned what its limitations were that i really (a) understood subtractive synthesis and (b) knew how to grow into the additional features of the ultranova. creativity thrives under constraint.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm definitely down with starting with fewer features. I was looking at that JD-XI and it seems nice, but it seems like it's got some menu diving.

Probably gonna order the Microbrute today...the ONLY thing that has me a bit hesitant (and yeah I know it's a little stupid for such a newbie) is the lack of an apreggiator... that's one of the few things I did understand what it is right off the bat and I like it's function. Tell me I'm being stupid and just go ahead and spend the monies.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather have a sequencer than an arpeggiator, personally. The arpeggiator is a better live performance tool, but aside from that, the sequencer does everything that the arpeggiator does.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sliderule posted:

I'd rather have a sequencer than an arpeggiator, personally. The arpeggiator is a better live performance tool, but aside from that, the sequencer does everything that the arpeggiator does.

White MicroBrute ordered!

So excited.

Also forgot that I ordered the TE PO series thingamajigs as well. I shall be creating tons of terrible bleeps and bloops in no time.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Does anyone here have the Volca Sample? A cheap and small sampler seems fun, so I'm curious if it has any drawbacks beyond having to use Korg's iOS app or CEVS to load in samples.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Vlad the Retailer posted:

Does anyone here have the Volca Sample? A cheap and small sampler seems fun, so I'm curious if it has any drawbacks beyond having to use Korg's iOS app or CEVS to load in samples.

I had some issues with CEVS with my desktop, laptop worked on first try. Other than that and for the money, no complains. Simple but powerful mangling/automation, sounds great etc.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Vlad the Retailer posted:

The only one I can think of is there isn't much storage for sequences (10 total is really small) but that's standard for the Volca stuff and it's not really a huge drawback since it forces you to be a bit more spontaneous and focused instead of having libraries of stuff you'll save and maybe use later.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mr. Glass posted:

depending on your personality i would also suggest starting out with a synth with fewer features, not more, and definitely lean towards something that has a lot of knobs instead of involving menu diving. my first synth was an Ultranova and i had no flippin' clue how to make it do anything beyond the presets / changing the waveform and filter cutoff. the flexibility was crushing when it should have been liberating. even now, if i can't get the sound that i want it feels like it's because i haven't tried hard enough to get what i want out of it.

it wasn't until i sat down with a much simpler synth and really learned what its limitations were that i really (a) understood subtractive synthesis and (b) knew how to grow into the additional features of the ultranova. creativity thrives under constraint.

My own synth story was deciding that getting every feature would be great for a monosynth so I could learn everything in a single synth. After doing the research on what could give me everything at a sorta reasonable price, I picked up a DSI Evolver...

...now don't get me wrong, the DSI Evolver is a fine little synth, and can do ridiculous things for a monosynth, but it was a really bad choice for a starter. For one, you only got to see the value of one parameter at a time on the front panel, and can only adjust one parameter at a time on it. You really want the visual feedback of the entire chain to start with. Also the Evolver was full of parameters that if set to the wrong value could make a patch unusable, so it's really bad for just playing around with when you spend 10 minutes just trying to get a sound out of it again. Long story short, the deep end was the wrong end to start in.

Oh, and my Bonerjamz track has been cut down - I'll be sending the unmastered version off today. Here's the screaming 80's guitars and string machines now that I've got rid of some redundant parts and tried to get the sections to flow a bit better together: https://soundcloud.com/stillvisions/hot-california-nights I gotta work on my keyboard solo skills but I think it goes okay with the cheese theme.

Oh and for the sake of science I processed the soundcloud version through https://www.landr.com/ - it purports to be an automatic mastering solution so I figured to drop the mp3 version in there. Interesting concept for a business, I guess time will tell if it works well or goes bankrupt as a business model and as a technology.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Got a not-quite-BonerJamz idea of doing Paul Hardcastle's 19 but in the Brentalfloss way and making it about Ubisoft games but that would require annotation work and so much cutting conference & presentation voice samples :smith:
(But it would be pretty freaking cool so if I get over this cold then maybe)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 28, 2015

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

stillvisions posted:

My own synth story was deciding that getting every feature would be great for a monosynth so I could learn everything in a single synth. After doing the research on what could give me everything at a sorta reasonable price, I picked up a DSI Evolver...

...now don't get me wrong, the DSI Evolver is a fine little synth, and can do ridiculous things for a monosynth, but it was a really bad choice for a starter. For one, you only got to see the value of one parameter at a time on the front panel, and can only adjust one parameter at a time on it. You really want the visual feedback of the entire chain to start with. Also the Evolver was full of parameters that if set to the wrong value could make a patch unusable, so it's really bad for just playing around with when you spend 10 minutes just trying to get a sound out of it again. Long story short, the deep end was the wrong end to start in.

haha yeah i haven't even used an evolver but from what i've seen i would think it would be an absolutely terrible first synth

W424
Oct 21, 2010
Evolver (desktop) is ok with an editor, the front panel is loving terribe confusing mess. Colors,fonts,parameter groupings, everything

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

stillvisions posted:

Oh and for the sake of science I processed the soundcloud version through https://www.landr.com/ - it purports to be an automatic mastering solution so I figured to drop the mp3 version in there. Interesting concept for a business, I guess time will tell if it works well or goes bankrupt as a business model and as a technology.

A beanie a hoody and a chain. They are failing to sell me with their image. Also their masering process didn't do anything except drop the sample quality significantly and gently caress up the stereo image. Assuming it probably works better for music made by people who wear beanies chains and hoodies.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

And for the love of god stay away from modular until you know your way around regular synths, it's a gear junkies money pit.

A few weeks ago I got my first synth: a Make Noise System 0 (modular). It's definitely a money pit -- I'm already obsessed with scoping out new modules. I regret nothing, though. For some reason it's easier for me to experiment with a steady drone than with a keyboard.

$300 for a Microbrute is hard to argue with, though. That's like a single low-end module!

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 29, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really need to stop watching these Marc Doty videos on the Pro-2. I should not go and spend $2000+ on a Pro2.

I am probably going to spend $2000+ on a Pro2.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Lol now I'm GASing for a microbrute while waiting for Korg to fix the electribe.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

So what is the submission process? send a render with nothing on the master to the address mentioned? what kind of headroom should we be aiming for, etc?

Flipperwaldt, thanks a load for those samples! They sound much better than the emulations I'd been toying with. While I'm generally a lofi kinda guy who just stretches one note across the keyboard, I'm working on setting the whole lot up for Sforzando (plogue's free aria engine sampler), and I'll upload the sfz file for everyone when I'm done.

field balm fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 29, 2015

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

A beanie a hoody and a chain. They are failing to sell me with their image. Also their masering process didn't do anything except drop the sample quality significantly and gently caress up the stereo image. Assuming it probably works better for music made by people who wear beanies chains and hoodies.

Uh it's actually for everyone bro. It's for people who wear beanies, chains and hoonies (and who should shave their scruffs), people with long greasy hair, hipster women wearing polka dot shirts, people with leather jackets, insufferable bastards wearing incredibly ugly caps and flannel shirts AND EVEN smartly dressed black people. If you can't find yourself on this list :lol: get a life and make real music that you can master with LANDR Instant Online Music Mastering service by MixGenius for only $19 a month you disgusting goon.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

field balm posted:

So what is the submission process? send a render with nothing on the master to the address mentioned? what kind of headroom should we be aiming for, etc?

The man promised svhs to be involved in the process so probably make your render loving loud to avoid signal-to-noise problems as it will probably be leaving the digital domain right quick. Last time we tried this some one sent stems and got pissed when the volunteerer masterer had the audacity to play around with them, so yeah, single stereo track, lossless, no metadata. Just make sure it's clear whose it is and what the name of the song is.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Uh it's actually for everyone bro. It's for people who wear beanies, chains and hoonies (and who should shave their scruffs), people with long greasy hair, hipster women wearing polka dot shirts, people with leather jackets, insufferable bastards wearing incredibly ugly caps and flannel shirts AND EVEN smartly dressed black people. If you can't find yourself on this list :lol: get a life and make real music that you can master with LANDR Instant Online Music Mastering service by MixGenius for only $19 a month you disgusting goon.

I'm excluded and I'm pretty sure danes or whatever flavor of viking you are are also excluded.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Sizone posted:

I'm excluded and I'm pretty sure danes or whatever flavor of viking you are are also excluded.

Actually I fit all the descriptors above. I'm a greasy-haired black hipster woman wearing a polka-dot leather hoodie with a flannel shirt underneath and an ugly beanie-cap (ie. smartly dressed). LANDR is obviously perfect for my music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

Here's my Boner Jamz '14 submission: KYH - Private Dick

Listen to my terrible keyboard solo :smithicide:

Anyway Startyde, I'll PM you the link to the WAV file on my Google Drive.

This desparately needs a noir voice over from a Private Dick.