Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

You've got nothing on the A-Wing to use that EI on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Oops! Misread the card. Swap that out for a stealth upgrade to make Tycho live a bit longer?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Sadsack posted:

In all the games I've played their have been exactly zero rule arguments. The games rules are watertight compared to 40K's.

I shouldn't have said arguments, more explanations; I've done a lot of demo games for newbies and end up taking a lot of time to go through the usual rules questions. I do love that the rules are so watertight and elegant - especially a neat contrast since I'm currently listening to two of my friends whine/theorycraft about how, exactly, the new Decurion rules for Necrons in 40K are going to work...

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Commissar Canuck posted:

I'm a fool and decided my first tournament will be the store championship at FFG's Game Center, I want to avoid using big ships if possible and am kicking around a list like this. Any suggestions from the more seasoned players?

Etahn A'baht
-R2 astromech
-PtL
-Adv Sensors

Keyan Farlander
-PtL
-E2 mod
-Kyle Katarn

Tarn Mison
-R7 astromech

In place of Tarn, I was also thinking of having Jake Farrell with Chardaan Refit and PtL.

If you're in the Twin Cities you should check out Twin Cities X-Wing on Facebook. We've got a listing up of all upcoming events. There was a warm-up tournament at FFG on the 17th, and I'll be there Saturday as well. There's a pretty big (and good) local community!

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

Commissar Canuck posted:

Tycho Celchu (31)
A-Wing (26), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Veteran Instincts (1), Experimental Interface (3), Push the Limit (3)

Keyan Farlander (43)
B-Wing (29), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Push the Limit (3), B-Wing/E2 (1), Kyle Katarn (3)

Tarn Mison (25)
X-Wing (23), R7 Astromech (2)

Sounds awesome. Let us know how the loaded Keyan does. I've never been bold enough to slap that many points on him.

Your idea has given me something new to try out though:
(33) Tycho Celchu with VI, PTL, P-Rockets
(34) Keyan Farlander with PTL, FCS
(33) Wedge with Engine
Might drop Prockets to Refit to put PTL and R2Astro on Wedge. But I might need Prockets to hunt the Phantom, and Wedge is good enough.
Will need testing...

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

Yeah I was at the GC that day but didn't know about the practice tournament ahead of time :doh: I will join that group, though!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I have been playing this game on my apartment floor with my partner and she's shellacking me. Wedge with Outmaneuver is really good at killing TIEs!

A rules clarification:

Expert Handling. It gives you a free Barrel Roll, but this is part of the Expert Handling action, which isn't free. So you can't use Expert Handling on, say, an E-Wing to barrel roll for free, then Target Lock/Focus/Evade. You use Expert Handling and that's it — it's a way to give Barrel Rolls to ship without it, and a way to enhance Barrel Roll so it can shed target locks, correct?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yep, that's correct.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

General Battuta posted:

I have been playing this game on my apartment floor with my partner and she's shellacking me. Wedge with Outmaneuver is really good at killing TIEs!

A rules clarification:

Expert Handling. It gives you a free Barrel Roll, but this is part of the Expert Handling action, which isn't free. So you can't use Expert Handling on, say, an E-Wing to barrel roll for free, then Target Lock/Focus/Evade. You use Expert Handling and that's it — it's a way to give Barrel Rolls to ship without it, and a way to enhance Barrel Roll so it can shed target locks, correct?

Correct. The key word here for rules consistency is that Expert Handling says "Action:" in the header, which means you must spend an action to do it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think my Tie swarm is my best bet for saturday, (2x saber squad with ptl, Howlrunner with swarm tactics, Mauler Mithel and Gundark (I only own 3 tie fighters or I would be running more!)) but going to try this out tonight:

Jake Farrel with PTL, A-Wing Test Pilot, Squad Leader, Chardaan Refit.

Etahn A'Baht with PTL and R7 Astromech

Prototype Pilot with Chardaan refit

Rookie Pilot

Jake has a lot of cards on him but the refit makes squad leader free, and my goal was to use him to hand out free target locks to the others, especially the e-wing that has the R7. I am tempted to drop ptl from the e-wing and upgrade the x-wing but I only have the core pilots so don't really see anything worth it.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Phrosphor posted:

Jake has a lot of cards on him but the refit makes squad leader free, and my goal was to use him to hand out free target locks to the others, especially the e-wing that has the R7. I am tempted to drop ptl from the e-wing and upgrade the x-wing but I only have the core pilots so don't really see anything worth it.

If you can, i'd probably drop the prototype to a Z Headhunter and bump Jake up to Tycho. if you change nothing else, this gives you 99 points for initiative.

Okay, so does anyone have any thought/suggestions on this squad? Yeah, it seems kind of boring, but i seem to have luck with the Decimator. This one feels like it might need a little something, though.

Commander Kenkirk (44)
Expose (4)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Moff Jerjerrod (2)
Rebel Captive (3)
Experimental Interface (3)

Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)

Total: 99

The idea is to make the Decimator last a little longer with Kirk and Isard, and the Expose and EI is to hit hard before the defensive stuff kicks in and when I get out of arc.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 28, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Why three Obsidians, instead of something like a pair of Alphas?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
A lot of people around here like to use Predator, so I was trying to keep them above PS 2.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's a decent reason for it. Then again, if your opponents are shooting at your piddly TIEs and not the Decimator, they have already hosed up. You may be able to get more mileage out of arc dodging while opponents go for the Decimator, or even using ships low enough for Predator to work better as bait to keep your major firepower intact.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

More support ships tend to work better when there's a Fat Han/Decimator on the field. The one exception I've found was that a support Whisper works well but that's because of the firepower and cloak that's able to take down their support ships first.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
This is another reason I went with 3 TIEs as opposed to 2 Interceptors. I was more or less trying to make a Fat Decimator equivalent to Fat Han. No idea if it will work, but I guess I'll see. Plus, the idea of Jerjerrod killing the captives when the ship takes critical damage, then holding the gun to his own head for the rest of the match, ready to take himself out in some suicidal rage makes me laugh.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 28, 2015

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Gah. Local Barnes & Noble got resupplied on basically everything. *sigh* Must stay strong, mortgage is due this week...

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Has anyone had any hands-on experience with the tokens they sell over at Battlemarkers? I've been holding out for a set of acrylic tokens whenever Team Covenant gets around to releasing some ('soon', they tell me), but I kind of like the style of these. For the uninitiated, they're basically little buttons without pins on the back, also supposedly pretty easy to pick up.

They don't carry any of the huge-ship tokens though, which seems to be a blind spot for a lot of these aftermarket X-Wing manufacturers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also, I see no ION token.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I experienced my first "Corellian Spitroast" last night.

That totally feels like it is in the spirit of the game..

(for those not in the know, Lando and Chewie in Falcons. On turn two you fly them into each other head on. Then you just do 1" moves into each other so you are now an immobile battlestation that can still take pseudo-actions thanks to fuckery involving Lando and Chewie's pilot abilities + upgrades.)

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 29, 2015

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Phrosphor posted:

I experienced my first "Corellian Spitroast" last night.

That totally feels like it is in the spirit of the game..

(for those not in the know, Lando and Chewie in Falcons. On turn two you fly them into each other head on. Then you just do 1" moves into each other so you are now an immobile battlestation that can still take pseudo-actions thanks to fuckery involving Lando and Chewie's pilot abilities + upgrades.)

What were you running? I WISH someone would try this in a real game. Fly into one of them so it has no shot, and roast the other one. Or plenty of lists can kill a Falcon in 2 turns of solid shooting, you should be able to do that before you have to break off. Boring game for sure, but against most lists it shouldn't be a huge threat.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

pbpancho posted:

What were you running? I WISH someone would try this in a real game. Fly into one of them so it has no shot, and roast the other one. Or plenty of lists can kill a Falcon in 2 turns of solid shooting, you should be able to do that before you have to break off. Boring game for sure, but against most lists it shouldn't be a huge threat.

Howlrunner with Swarm Tactics

Mauler Mithel

Winged Gundark

2x Saber Squadron Pilot with PTL

He killed an interceptor on turn 1 at max range with a roll of 2 hits and a crit. I rolled nothing but had taken an evade action. The crit was the 2 damage card.

I had to cross a lot of table to get to his battlestation as he had docked right in the corner just outside his deployment, and because I had deployed all of my stuff bar Howlrunner before he got to put a ship on the table I had a lot of space to cross.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Autothrusters can't come soon enough.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Also, I see no ION token.

It's in there. I don't see the point of the astromech and EPT ones, though.

those might make cute buttons for players, though.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Astromech for R2-F2 that gives you increased agility. EPTs for stuff like Expose or Marksmanship that doesn't have a token all its own.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are there any other pilots with an ability like Arvel Crynyd?

(Can shoot at targets he is in base to base contact with)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Turns out even though people talk about bringing a knife to a fun fight, bringing a fun to a knife fight sucks too. I think I'm done with HLC Outriders.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Phrosphor posted:

Are there any other pilots with an ability like Arvel Crynyd?

(Can shoot at targets he is in base to base contact with)

Not sure about pilots but I'm pretty sure there's an upgrade that comes with the shuttle... maybe? That allows you a cheeky shot at someone touching your base.

Either that or I'm imagining it.

edit: anti-pursuit lasers, it's not great though - 1 attack die, hit or a crit results in 1 hit

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

enri posted:

Not sure about pilots but I'm pretty sure there's an upgrade that comes with the shuttle... maybe? That allows you a cheeky shot at someone touching your base.

Either that or I'm imagining it.

Anti-pursuit lasers make someone take a hit for ending on top of you, but they don't actually get shot at.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Since I have trouble with Dash Rendar I was planning on just crashing that a-wing into the front of him to pin him for a turn.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

I decided to switch out Tarn Mison for two Tala Squadron dudes with concussion missiles and munitions failsafe. Didn't do me a whole lot of good at the FFG store championship but I won one game decisively, lost one decisively and the other two losses were varying degrees of close. Still had a blast at my first tournament, though. Learned a lot and got two fancy Soontir Fell promo cards for my troubles :toot:

Highlight of the night was me managing to pilot the two Headhunters into the same asteroid simultaneously :doh:

Commissar Canuck fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 1, 2015

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Anybody interested in a game on Vassal. It's my first attempt at a Vassal game so patience is necessary.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So I just broke my second mini by fiddling with it too much. Luckily it's a clean break, right where one part was glued to another. Will super glue work or will it damage the plastic?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So I just broke my second mini by fiddling with it too much. Luckily it's a clean break, right where one part was glued to another. Will super glue work or will it damage the plastic?

I've superglued my X-wing's guns back on all the time. Never had a problem.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I've used hobby glue (the same type that I've used for plastic 40k minis) to fix a laser on my B-wing and didn't have any problems with it. Brand name is Gale Force 9, I got it at my LGS.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Sadsack posted:

Anybody interested in a game on Vassal. It's my first attempt at a Vassal game so patience is necessary.

Maybe a little later? I really need to learn how to use Vassal, so we'd both be slow and new at everything.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Maybe a little later? I really need to learn how to use Vassal, so we'd both be slow and new at everything.

Cool. Email me at james.swatton at google's email service when your ready. We can fumble blindly in the dark together.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, second game ever. Had a buddy over I want to get into this. So, we did 2 bandits vs 2 academies again. I was the rebels this time. I managed to knock both down to one hull. Then, things went super wrong. My manuvering was great, 4 rounds of range 1 shooting at him. Both z-95s focussed fire. NOT A SINGLE HIT. NOT ONE. He managed to get one tie to range 2 shoot each time...... I LOST. I did not kill a single tie, and he chewed through all 8 hull and shields I had on the table.

Well, it was still alot of fun. Monday is first actual game night I have.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Sometimes the dice god just decides it wants you to get it. Badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yup, dice are still dice, and when you roll so few at a time you can get some, uh, interesting results.

On a side note, my Decimator and Rexler duo didn't do as well as I'd hoped. Lone Wolf was barely able to trigger on Rexler due to being too close all the time. I really want to find a build that can fit a pimped out Defender, but 47 points is a ton for a ship that still dies to Whisper pretty readily.

• Locked thread