Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

tuyop posted:

I've run into a few people who refuse to setup find my iPhone for "privacy" reasons. It's very strange and I'm always at a loss for words to help them manage that bizarre technophobia.

It's usually the same people who refuse to do online banking or have wifi or accept cookies. They also use lead lined protective wallets and poo poo. What do you say to those people?

What's it like living "off the grid"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tuyop posted:

I've run into a few people who refuse to setup find my iPhone for "privacy" reasons. It's very strange and I'm always at a loss for words to help them manage that bizarre technophobia.

It's usually the same people who refuse to do online banking or have wifi or accept cookies. They also use lead lined protective wallets and poo poo. What do you say to those people?

"What was the Great Depression like"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The most recent guy also believes in ghosts so

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My dad isn't like that. His phone just prompted him to install it at one point and he did. He never opened the app to turn it on because he didn't realize there was anything more that needed to be done.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's not how Find My Phone works. The app lets you find stuff, but Find My Phone is built in to the OS.

You turn it on in iCloud and it prompts during the phone setup. What happens if he logs into icloud.com with his info and clicks "Find My Phone"?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah the iOS app for Find My iPhone can be kind of confusing to someone not familiar with the way the whole thing works.

It should be called "Find My Buddy's iPhone" since if you ever need to use it you don't have access to it anyway. (Yeah I know plenty of people have both iPhones and iPads, but the standalone app is still kind of confusing in principle)

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The phone isn't listed in Find My iPhone on the iCloud website. His Mac is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Roobsa posted:

I've got a Commuter, Defender and a Spigen. My preferred setup is the Spigen without a screen protector. Otterbox screen protectors are nice but are wildly overpriced compared to the packs of 3 you can buy for a few quid on Amazon. The screen protectors that are built into Otterbox cases seem to be a bit hit or miss. Mine was ever so slightly raised above the screen so while it didn't really affect my typing much, it was a case of OCD and I couldn't deal with it anymore.

Coolness. I was just curious, I'm looking into an Otterbox because I'm going to start riding a bike to work and I need something a bit more sturdy than a Diztronic case like I usually use.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there such a thing as a slim, waterproof case? It doesn't have to be a daily use deal but I'd like to be able to slip it on at the beginning of a day where I might use it and not have to carry a brick in my pocket all day.

It's just for beach holidays or a day at the pool so I can use it to take pictures or shoot videos, I'm not planning on diving with it or whatever.

iPhone 5s.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there such a thing as a slim, waterproof case? It doesn't have to be a daily use deal but I'd like to be able to slip it on at the beginning of a day where I might use it and not have to carry a brick in my pocket all day.

It's just for beach holidays or a day at the pool so I can use it to take pictures or shoot videos, I'm not planning on diving with it or whatever.

iPhone 5s.

Lifeproof? They don't seem too bulky.

Literally The Worst posted:

Coolness. I was just curious, I'm looking into an Otterbox because I'm going to start riding a bike to work and I need something a bit more sturdy than a Diztronic case like I usually use.

Would you not have a bag? I also commute to work by bike and I just keep my phone in a pocket with only my phone in it so it doesn't get scratched by anything.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Roobsa posted:

Would you not have a bag? I also commute to work by bike and I just keep my phone in a pocket with only my phone in it so it doesn't get scratched by anything.

Lifeproofs can only survive like 50 openings and closings.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Looked into Tech21 cases? They're pretty thin but can take a fall, Apple Store seems to carry some newer types than on Tech21's site too. The caveat of the impact protection is that they're noticably wide (footprint wise) so it can affect single handed grip a bit, although I'm used to it now. That and the thinness means glass screen protectors are on the verge of being beyond the case lip, although a regular film type would be fine.

I use a Tech Armor glass one myself, they're like $10. Main reason I got it over others is just that they have a lifetime replacement policy. Already got a few replacements for mine and my sister's phones for little chips along the edge...haven't even put the new one on mine since it's generally still fine in usage.

Edit-re: waterproof stuff, doesn't Griffin have some?

japtor fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 25, 2015

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

fleshweasel posted:

My dad didn't set up Find my iPhone and he lost his phone. Can he get Verizon or Apple to tell him where it is?

Just FYI, unless he actively setup find my iPhone or a similar app, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aight I promised myself I wouldn't do this but now it's happening to me, happeneing to me.

Battery issues
Got an iPhone 6, latest iOS, jailbroken. Battery is killing me. Normally when people post about battery life in here, I figure, it's in your head it's not that bad. but here's my issue. My battery has been acting like a fool since I bought the phone in Sept. I put it down to vague nothingness but I'm sure now there's a problem. Yesterday, I switched my phone OFF while at between 20-30% battery, for an hour. Popped it back on, 3%. That's not right. Then today, I've been using it a lot so it's drained slowly, got out of work with it at 13%. i thought that'd do until I got home, but no, 2 seconds later it just died. So... first question: is there an issue here? Second question: what can I do?

Thanks brothers and sisters.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Aight I promised myself I wouldn't do this but now it's happening to me, happeneing to me.

Battery issues
jailbroken.

Potential problem spotted!

Backup/restore as new and see if the problem persists. Turn off your battery percentage when you do this.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Roobsa posted:

I would but the first few times I make the trip I'm going to need it handy for a map because it's a very different route from how I drive and I anticipate myself being dumb and wiping out/dropping it/something plus I'm dumb and something will happen where my phone gets destroyed because that's how my life goes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iOS 8.1.3 is out y'all.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tuyop posted:

Potential problem spotted!

Backup/restore as new and see if the problem persists. Turn off your battery percentage when you do this.

Cheers but this problem has persisted since before I jailbroke. I get the battery percentage issue but it's vital for me so it's not going off.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It's not vital for you.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I really don't get why people in here are such assholes about someone wanting to know the number percentage their battery has left. It's not completely useless information. Sperging about being at 50% is stupid, but knowing what loving percentage you have left isn't nothing. It's not "vital" though.

Unrelated, but what the gently caress is the point in jailbreaking now? Any "BEST JAILBREAK TWEAKZ" things I see are basically useless.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

ddogflex posted:

It's not "vital" though.

I think that's all he's saying.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Basically you don't really need to know the battery level any more precisely than "almost full", "about half", and "almost empty".

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Any reason to update to 8.1.3 from 8.1.2 on a 64GB iPhone 6? Doesnt seem like it.

e: Ah I see the Spotlight fix is probably important for a few people.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Right cool, if it'll satisfy you, pretend I agree and that I've switched off the percentage ffs

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

ddogflex posted:

Unrelated, but what the gently caress is the point in jailbreaking now? Any "BEST JAILBREAK TWEAKZ" things I see are basically useless.

I use Jailbreak to enable f.lux which improves sleep and general quality of life when using screens at night, safehouse which disables passcode/TouchID when it detects your chosen home WiFi, Lock Glyph to display an animation that indicates TouchID unlocking progress, and some other random cool stuff. I changed "AT&T" to my initials. It helps restore a little of the customization that iOS lacks in relation to Android.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ICHIBAHN posted:

Right cool, if it'll satisfy you, pretend I agree and that I've switched off the percentage ffs

Restore your phone as a new device (don't use your backup), see if the issue persists over the next couple of days. If it does, go to an Apple store and have them check it out.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I will, thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I use Jailbreak to enable f.lux which improves sleep and general quality of life when using screens at night, safehouse which disables passcode/TouchID when it detects your chosen home WiFi, Lock Glyph to display an animation that indicates TouchID unlocking progress, and some other random cool stuff. I changed "AT&T" to my initials. It helps restore a little of the customization that iOS lacks in relation to Android.
So other than f.lux, basically useless.

Ganondork
Dec 26, 2012

Ganondork
Does anyone run a hacked Verizon carrier update? I noticed some were claiming it gave them XLTE support on their iPhone 5. Not sure I trust the security or reliability of said hack, though.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Michael Scott posted:

Any reason to update to 8.1.3 from 8.1.2 on a 64GB iPhone 6? Doesnt seem like it.

e: Ah I see the Spotlight fix is probably important for a few people.

iOS 8.1.3 notes in case anyone's stuck at work.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam
Is iOS 8 better by now? I've been avoiding it after hearing bad things about it after it was just released, and I'm wondering if it's better by now - I'd really like to use the new keyboard, which has been my only gripe after converting from Android.

Just after 8 was released I read a lot about it having microstutter, which I do tend to notice a lot if it's there, for example when swiping between pages on the home screen. So I'd like to know if there's any of it left in 8.1.2 or 8.1.3. I'm on the 5s, for what it's worth.

edit: fixed confusing wording

busfahrer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 27, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

busfahrer posted:

Is iOS 8 better by now? I've been avoiding it after hearing bad things about it after it was just released, and I'm wondering if it's better by now - I'd really like to use the new keyboard, which has been my only gripe after converting from Android.

Just after 8 was released I read a lot about it having microstutter, which I do tend to notice a lot if it's there, for example when swiping between pages on the home screen. So I'd like to know if there's any of it left in 8.1.2 or 8.1.3. I'm on the 5s, for what it's worth.

edit: fixed confusing wording

Yeah it's great. Not as silky smooth as 7, but all the extra features work. I don't know how custom keyboards are working.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

busfahrer posted:

I don't think the custom keyboard integration is quite there yet even with all the updates to iOS 8. I've tried a few of them and none of them worked consistently well enough for me to use them over the standard iOS keyboard.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

My iPhone battery rarely even gets to 75% by the end of the day. Is there anything wrong with just leaving it on the charger at night anyway?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

My iPhone battery rarely even gets to 75% by the end of the day. Is there anything wrong with just leaving it on the charger at night anyway?

Technically, yes. Batteries degrade faster the more time they spend above 80% or below 20%. A battery kept at 20-80% of its capacity will maintain capacity for significantly more cycles than a battery that spends 1/3-1/2 its time close to 100%.

Practically, it doesn't matter because it's 2015 and you shouldn't worry about your phone that you're going to replace every 300-1000 cycles of charge. If I were you I'd split the difference and just charge my phone until it's full when it's convenient and needs to be charged because that really isn't less convenient than plugging it in at night.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 27, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jpotts posted:

Does anyone run a hacked Verizon carrier update? I noticed some were claiming it gave them XLTE support on their iPhone 5. Not sure I trust the security or reliability of said hack, though.
This is impossible. The Verizon iPhone 5 doesn't support LTE Band 4 which is what XLTE runs on.

Pertplus posted:

No.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My iPhone 6 seems to be stuck in headphone mode. Any tips on fixing this? I've tried pulling the headphone jack in and out several times to no avail.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

shyduck posted:

My iPhone 6 seems to be stuck in headphone mode. Any tips on fixing this? I've tried pulling the headphone jack in and out several times to no avail.

Had this happen to me. Compressed air or a cotton swab in there should get whatever is causing it out.

If not... it's possible for water damage to do that apparently.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

101 posted:

Had this happen to me. Compressed air or a cotton swab in there should get whatever is causing it out.
Fixed it! The compressed air did the trick. Thank you so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Mac lets me type in reminders "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM" and it creates the reminder called "Take the garbage out" with an alert time of next Wednesday at 8PM. Beautiful. My iPhone creates a reminder called "Take the garbage out Wednesday at 8PM." I have to click the little (i) and use the date picker to set an alert. Or use Siri I guess. But it still disappoints me.

There's your miniscule Apple gripe of the day.