Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Well, we put in an offer last night.

We offered the asking price, but the house has been on the market one day and has had 5 showings. *crosses fingers* I would really love to be able to walk to work.

stroke your lucky fedora for me, goons.

Austin?

In other "do never buy" news the house two doors down from me, that's 500sqft larger, just sold after being on the market for 3 days at 2k over what we paid for ours last year.

It had been on the market at $60k higher than our sales price for about 6 months when we bought ours. They took it down, did some remodeling, and listed it for $62k less. It sold for 8% under the tax assessment, we bought ours for 12% over.

So, thanks rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Tallahassee.

They just accepted the offer. fuuuuuccckkkk. I hope nothing goes to poo poo.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Tallahassee.

They just accepted the offer. fuuuuuccckkkk. I hope nothing goes to poo poo.

Fingers crossed.

CANDY FOR EVERYONE!

(the watermelon ones are the best)

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
It's kinda small 'tho so I can't have any more kids. Shopping vasectomies and home inspectors right now.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

House Buying Megathread: Shopping vasectomies and home inspectors right now

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Welp, house we're looking at has Radon. Hello mitigation system request along with enough other stuff the deal is probably going to fall through and piss everybody off and leave us roughly $1500 (inspector, lawyer, trips to house) less than at the start of the adventure.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

baquerd posted:

Welp, house we're looking at has Radon. Hello mitigation system request along with enough other stuff the deal is probably going to fall through and piss everybody off and leave us roughly $1500 (inspector, lawyer, trips to house) less than at the start of the adventure.

Just out of curiosity, how did that total up to $1500?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bloody Queef posted:

Just out of curiosity, how did that total up to $1500?

$615 - house inspector (top-end, 5-star yelp/angies/etc.)
$300 - 2 days, 2 detectors, continuous radon testing (needed two detectors due to foundation crawlspace apparently, maybe $100 of this was wasted)
$500 - lawyer (should be able to negotiate this down since no closing, haven't paid him yet either)
$150 - car rentals and gas

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

baquerd posted:

$300 - 2 days, 2 detectors, continuous radon testing (needed two detectors due to foundation crawlspace apparently, maybe $100 of this was wasted)
$500 - lawyer (should be able to negotiate this down since no closing, haven't paid him yet either)

Don't use Angie's List. The vast majority of their income comes from advertising and they have a dim view of members rating advertisers poorly.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

Don't use Angie's List. The vast majority of their income comes from advertising and they have a dim view of members rating advertisers poorly.

Yeah, and Yelp is the same way. I didn't actually check Angie's list though. They're top Redfin rated too, which may also be surreptitiously running some similar ratings control scheme. Ultimately, there's no good unbiased sources.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

baquerd posted:

Yeah, and Yelp is the same way. I didn't actually check Angie's list though. They're top Redfin rated too, which may also be surreptitiously running some similar ratings control scheme. Ultimately, there's no good unbiased sources.

I use random-rear end dudes at the bar as my vetting process. In vino veritas.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

baquerd posted:

My house inspector was only marginally useful. He didn't catch anything I didn't. He couldn't explain why a dryer would he hooked up to a 110 circuit (gas dryer...). I spent 125 bucks afterwards to bring in an HVAC guy, and all he did was write up a million things to basically rebuild the HVAC system because he assumed that's what buyers want. And the home appraisal afterwards was such a joke too.

My feeling after the homebuying process was that everyone was really nice and tried to make me feel good, but didn't actually do much. It seemed like the administrative assistants with the lender and title companies were the only ones that actually do work.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jimmy James posted:

My house inspector was only marginally useful. He didn't catch anything I didn't. He couldn't explain why a dryer would he hooked up to a 110 circuit (gas dryer...). I spent 125 bucks afterwards to bring in an HVAC guy, and all he did was write up a million things to basically rebuild the HVAC system because he assumed that's what buyers want. And the home appraisal afterwards was such a joke too.

I'm pretty torn over my inspector. On one hand, he was thorough and spotted a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have. On the other, getting details or practical "is this likely to cause significant damage" answers out of him basically ran into a wall of "you should consult with an expert on <X>". OK, so the toilet's not properly secured, but what does that mean? Was it bolted into rotting wood that's about to collapse or did the nuts need tightening?

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

baquerd posted:

I built Redfin's third-party reviews thing, "Open Book." Customers can't leave reviews for a business unless our real estate agents know they actually worked with that business.

There's no money changing hands in that part of Redfin.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Hopefully this question is ok since I'm trying to sell a house, not buy one, but here goes:

So I am in quite a pickle when it comes to a 3br/2ba house I purchased in 2009. It's an older, elevated home (our best guess is that it was built in the late 60s), on about 2 acres we were planning on fixing up to keep horses on. This is in south Louisiana. We purchased the house for about $150k, we owe about $134k.

Last year, we noticed a soft spot in the guest bedroom. Pulled up the (new, laminate wood) flooring to discover mold all over the place. Further investigation revealed that the rot has spread everywhere in the house, and the joists holding the house up we're starting to buck as well. This was due to improper drainage causing a buildup of water underneath the house. The local contractor I hired gave me a quote for:

- Pulling up existing floors
- Removing the subfloor
- Replacing the joists
- Installing new subfloor
- Replacing the laminate flooring
- Spraying close-celled foam underneath the house to prevent moisture intrusion.
- Rebuilding the kitchen

The quote was somewhere on the $30-35k range. We obviously didn't have this sort of money hanging about. We tried doing a 203k refi, but weren't able to get satisfactory terms (we would have basically had to come out of pocket for the full $30k, and our payment would only be reduced by a $100/mo or so). So we went back to the contractor and decided to do the repairs in steps. We spent about $15k removing the (absolutely disgusting) subfloor and putting in new joists/plywood. During this we also decided to remove the existing cast iron plumbing and install Plex.

The plan was to wait and save up some money to install the laminate floors, paint, rebuild the kitchen, etc. we were lucky to have space in the utility room for a stove and dishwasher, so we setup a temporary kitchen and were relatively comfortable as two people and two dogs living on plywood can be.

We came into a little bit of money so we had the spray foam done, which was about $3400. We did this as we were worried about moisture intrusion damaging the new subfloor.

Then we discovered problems with the roof. Apparently the flashing wasn't long enough to fit under the drip edge, so moisture had been collecting behind the flashing and causing the wood underneath, and the roof itself, to start molding and rotting. I can post pictures of this, but trust me, it's bad. We've had several people come to give us quotes, and the repair price is anywhere from $15k (to repair the edge and replace lower shingles) to $30k (to repair the damage, replace all the shingles, and install a ridge vent since my attic doesn't have much of at all installation). Then the hot water heater died. Then the master bath tub started leaking. Then we started thinking me may have bought a moneypit....

So for those keeping track at home, we have a house that we paid $150k for that appraises for $130k or so, that needs roughly $40-50k of repairs to be back to the place it was when we paid for it. On top of that, having property for horses is no longer a priority, and neither of us are interested in owning a house again because of this. We want to get out.

Most of you are probably asking why the home inspector didn't catch some of this, and for that I have a really dumb answer: I didn't have it inspected. There were some extenuating circumstances, but it was a dumb decision that I've been kicking my own rear end about for a year now.

So now we're looking at our situation and thinking that it would be pretty stupid to spend a bunch of money on this place, whether we save up to do it or we borrow it. We're looking into things like a short sales and deed in lieu of foreclosure, but the long and short of it is that we want to be out of this house. We don't want to walk away from it and have a foreclosure on our record, but honestly it's a possibility.

Besides posting here, our next step is to contact an attorney and talk about the ramifications of a short sale, and if we could use the documentation of our repairs in order to off set our responsibility a bit. We have a FHA loan with PMI and are looking to protect ourselves as much as possible in the case of a short sale. I'm not even sure what type of attorney to contact about this.

Can y'all offer any advice?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

EC posted:

Can y'all offer any advice?

If you are religious, you might want to pray for a fire, but based on what you have said, it doesn't sound like you have all that much more to spend to get back to liveable.

If the new joists, subfloor and sprayfoam is all in place, that's like 95% of the work done on the floor. Putting that laminate back might cost you the new foam underlay and some time, but presumably all the flooring is cut and just stacked up waiting to be put back? That would be a tremendous boost to the house if you wanted to sell it, and I really can't understand why you haven't done that already.

The roof is certainly a bigger task, but the raw materials and a weekend of your time would cost you nowhere near the 15-thousnd quoted for the cheaper of the fixes. You can probably tarp it for the time being to keep it from getting any worse. Make a thread in the DIY/Hobbies subforum and people will have plenty to say if you need advice on what to do from there.

There are a lot of things that can cause a tub to leak, would need more details on that to know if it is a mountain or a molehill.

Don't count the hot water tank. They have a life span and yours was going to go eventually.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

How on earth did you manage to get an FHA loan without doing inspections?

In any case, yeah, I think the biggest issue might be that you're going with a single quote for your work, and doing no DIY. $15k is a lot to spend for a roof on a $130k house.

I definitely agree though that you should talk to a lawyer. I also hope you're not permanently burned on buying a house: your issues all stem from not buying a house that was thoroughly inspected and known to be in good shape. Buying isn't for everyone, of course, and you've definitely had some terrible luck, so I can't blame you if you decide to just rent from now on.

Really avoid that foreclosure if you possibly can. The black mark on your credit affects your ability to rent (landlords often want to see a credit report), your ability to get student loans, auto loans, etc. in addition to crushing your regular credit card terms etc.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Antifreeze Head posted:

If you are religious, you might want to pray for a fire, but based on what you have said, it doesn't sound like you have all that much more to spend to get back to liveable.

You would be surprised at how often people mention burning the place down when I explain what's happening with the house. I've heard all sorts of crack pot theories to scam the insurance company. I'm not interested in doing it, of course, but it's really funny to me that it's the first thing that comes up.

quote:

If the new joists, subfloor and sprayfoam is all in place, that's like 95% of the work done on the floor. Putting that laminate back might cost you the new foam underlay and some time, but presumably all the flooring is cut and just stacked up waiting to be put back? That would be a tremendous boost to the house if you wanted to sell it, and I really can't understand why you haven't done that already.

The roof is certainly a bigger task, but the raw materials and a weekend of your time would cost you nowhere near the 15-thousnd quoted for the cheaper of the fixes. You can probably tarp it for the time being to keep it from getting any worse. Make a thread in the DIY/Hobbies subforum and people will have plenty to say if you need advice on what to do from there.

There are a lot of things that can cause a tub to leak, would need more details on that to know if it is a mountain or a molehill.

Don't count the hot water tank. They have a life span and yours was going to go eventually.

The original flooring was trash. It was originally glued down and wasn't able to be saved at all. So that's brand new laminate we'd have to buy and install (around 1200 sq ft). We've very seriously considered buying the slightly more expensive snap-in kind and doing the install ourselves, but we're at the point where we don't think we'll be able to recoup any expenditure on the house, mainly because of there not being a kitchen and the roof being so bad.

I had a home inspector buddy come out and look at the roof. He says that he and I could do it over many weekends, but he doesn't have that kind of time (I don't blame him, three kids and a full time job is a lot). There's also the issue of me being a complete loving idiot when it comes to construction. My last attempt at installing shelves left us with saggy shelves and ultimately no more shelves. My wife is slightly better, but this kind of work is probably out of her skill set as well.

The tub thing wasn't necessarily a huge thing, just another thing in a long string of things to go wrong. Worse, the way it's situated makes it impossible to get under it, so we have an unusable tub until we want to remove the whole thing, fix the drain, re-install, etc. This doesn't make sense if we're just going to replace the thing when we remodel, and it certainly doesn't make sense if we aren't planning on staying.

I didn't even know SA had a DIY forum, so that's a good idea. I'll post some pictures of my roof and see what people say.

Leperflesh posted:

How on earth did you manage to get an FHA loan without doing inspections?

I'm not really sure. I had been here six months after starting a new job. My wife was still in Phoenix, and we were desperate to find a place so she could move down. Our original mortgage company jacked us around, so we switched to a different one and got it done as quick as possible.

quote:

In any case, yeah, I think the biggest issue might be that you're going with a single quote for your work, and doing no DIY. $15k is a lot to spend for a roof on a $130k house.

You're telling me. :)

quote:

I definitely agree though that you should talk to a lawyer. I also hope you're not permanently burned on buying a house: your issues all stem from not buying a house that was thoroughly inspected and known to be in good shape. Buying isn't for everyone, of course, and you've definitely had some terrible luck, so I can't blame you if you decide to just rent from now on.

What kind of lawyer would I talk to? I'm not even sure what to look up in the phone book for stuff like this.

quote:

Really avoid that foreclosure if you possibly can. The black mark on your credit affects your ability to rent (landlords often want to see a credit report), your ability to get student loans, auto loans, etc. in addition to crushing your regular credit card terms etc.

Thanks!

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sorry for your situation, and can't offer much advice except to recommend that your post get linked in the OP.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lol that people think a house built in the 1960s is old

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I should add that there's a couple of other financial reasons we'd like to get rid of it as well. During the summer time (which is like, 8 months here in LA) we're spending LOTS of money to keep the yard mowed. Not even really landscaped, but it costs a lot to mow two acres. On top of that, our internet bill is close to $200 for a relatively slow connection. So getting away from those costs would help us enormously as well.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

uwaeve posted:

recommend that your post get linked in the OP

Done!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EC posted:

What kind of lawyer would I talk to? I'm not even sure what to look up in the phone book for stuff like this.

I'm not an expert, but I'd think a foreclosure lawyer.

this thing says first talk to a HUD advisor, in particular to see if you can get a loan modification, but what I'm seeing about foreclosure advice is mostly based on the assumption that you can no longer afford to make payments. In your case, you're just underwater on a house but (I assume) still able to make payments, just not able to afford the extensive renovations needed for the home to remain livable.

A foreclosure lawyer might not be the actually right kind, but most likely they can refer you to exactly the right kind of attorney for your situation.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

EC posted:

The original flooring was trash. It was originally glued down and wasn't able to be saved at all. So that's brand new laminate we'd have to buy and install (around 1200 sq ft). We've very seriously considered buying the slightly more expensive snap-in kind and doing the install ourselves, but we're at the point where we don't think we'll be able to recoup any expenditure on the house, mainly because of there not being a kitchen and the roof being so bad.

That's a crappy break, but laminate is super easy to install. You start to get decent looking laminates at ~$1.80 per square foot, so you'd be looking around $2600 with some surplus built in to get that done. That's if you want to stay. If you just want to have something there so the place doesn't look quite as much like a construction zone to help it sell*, you can probably get closer to a dollar per square foot.

Watch for Home Depot and the like to have a "special flooring event." The regular stock won't be on a great sale, but it usually means they're bringing in an end of run of something and you can get a great deal on stuff. I got stuff that would have been about $2.60 per square foot for $1.29. Sometimes they'll have a real bargain brand come in at about $0.80/sq ft. The only real catch is there won't ever be any more of it, so buy extra for repairs if you are planning to stick around.

EC posted:

Just call a non-criminal lawyer at a big firm. If it is in their wheelhouse, they'll help you. If not, they will refer you to someone at their firm.

* depending who you plan on selling to. If you just want to sell it off to someone who will finish fixing it, there is no point in this. You know this already, but you will lose so much money doing this. Consider what your monthly rent+debt service payments will be against the $700-ish you are paying in mortgage+property taxes. As much as you hate it, you may be better sticking it out. You will have to DIY some of this though, your past failures don't matter much. Just be willing to take your time, RTFM and ask questions/listen to the subsequent advice.

EDIT: as for the lawn, if you can have horses, you can have a goat. Get one in the spring, let it eat the grass then eat it in the fall. Or just let some of those two acres go to fallow.

Antifreeze Head fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 28, 2015

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
PM me about finding a real estate attorney.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Antifreeze Head posted:

That's a crappy break, but laminate is super easy to install. You start to get decent looking laminates at ~$1.80 per square foot, so you'd be looking around $2600 with some surplus built in to get that done. That's if you want to stay. If you just want to have something there so the place doesn't look quite as much like a construction zone to help it sell*, you can probably get closer to a dollar per square foot.

Watch for Home Depot and the like to have a "special flooring event." The regular stock won't be on a great sale, but it usually means they're bringing in an end of run of something and you can get a great deal on stuff. I got stuff that would have been about $2.60 per square foot for $1.29. Sometimes they'll have a real bargain brand come in at about $0.80/sq ft. The only real catch is there won't ever be any more of it, so buy extra for repairs if you are planning to stick around.

Just call a non-criminal lawyer at a big firm. If it is in their wheelhouse, they'll help you. If not, they will refer you to someone at their firm.

* depending who you plan on selling to. If you just want to sell it off to someone who will finish fixing it, there is no point in this. You know this already, but you will lose so much money doing this. Consider what your monthly rent+debt service payments will be against the $700-ish you are paying in mortgage+property taxes. As much as you hate it, you may be better sticking it out. You will have to DIY some of this though, your past failures don't matter much. Just be willing to take your time, RTFM and ask questions/listen to the subsequent advice.

EDIT: as for the lawn, if you can have horses, you can have a goat. Get one in the spring, let it eat the grass then eat it in the fall. Or just let some of those two acres go to fallow.

This is all good advice. The thing is, if we're going to stay at the place, I don't want to put the cheapest flooring I can find in. I'd rather wait and spend a little bit more for something that will hold up and look good. So if I'm staying, I'll just wait till I can afford good flooring. If we leave, it doesn't really make sense to do anything, since whoever will buy will either (a) buy the cheapest thing so they can flip it or (b) but whatever they specifically like. Keep in mind that it isn't just flooring. We also need to repaint, redo the bottom molding, etc. Each room will be quite a bit of work.

The mortgage is about $1100, plus the higher monthly bills for water/elec/internet/yard. We're looking around at apartments and houses for rent now to start making comparisons.

As for the goat, I would do that in a heartbeat if there were fencing around the 2 acres. That was one of the things we were planning on doing this year, before the house started falling apart on us. :)

blarzgh posted:

PM me about finding a real estate attorney.

I will!

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still confused on the inspection-less FHA loan. Those require an inspection, a particular type of inspection that even covers some borderline cosmetic stuff.

I wonder if the bank did something shady to push the load through, and I wonder if that might be a way out.

Talk to an attorney.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Citizen Tayne posted:

Lol that people think a house built in the 1960s is old

I search by year built and exclude anything not built in economic downturns with the theory that when times are slow only the best contractors get work. Also asbestos and lead paint.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
How do you not even know how old the house is; is it not recorded in the deed records for some wacky reason? Like, there has to be a chain of title in existence for you to have purchased the house.

If you want out I also suggest you talk to an attorney about your options because it sounds like you're in a nearly unlivable house with the floor, roof, and water leaks anyways. Correctly noted above taking a foreclosure will ruin your financial life for about 7 years but this house might be worse if you borrow up to your eyeballs trying to fix all of the problems.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm still confused on the inspection-less FHA loan. Those require an inspection, a particular type of inspection that even covers some borderline cosmetic stuff.

I wonder if the bank did something shady to push the load through, and I wonder if that might be a way out.

Talk to an attorney.

From what I understand FHA loans require an appraisal, but not an actual inspection. This is what my wife found when researching it: http://www.structuretech1.com/2009/10/fha-inspections/

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

How do you not even know how old the house is; is it not recorded in the deed records for some wacky reason? Like, there has to be a chain of title in existence for you to have purchased the house.

The deed is unclear, for what reason I have no idea.

quote:

If you want out I also suggest you talk to an attorney about your options because it sounds like you're in a nearly unlivable house with the floor, roof, and water leaks anyways. Correctly noted above taking a foreclosure will ruin your financial life for about 7 years but this house might be worse if you borrow up to your eyeballs trying to fix all of the problems.

Making arrangements to talk to an attorney. I wouldn't consider the house unlivable. The floor doesn't leak, only one of the bathtubs leaks, and the roof, while hosed around the edge, is still fairly okay for the most part. The shingles are wearing out and if we don't replace it this year we'll need to do it in the next five, but we're not surrounded by pots and pans on the floor when it rains or anything.

But yeah at the same time I don't really want to spend a bunch of money that would otherwise go into our retirement/vacation fund, only at the end to have a $150k house I paid ~$200k for.

Oh how I wish we had seen the roof problems before spending the money to do the floors. :/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I'm not trying to push you to keep the house if you're trying to get rid of it, but having done about 800 sqft of tile this last summer in my house, tile is not that hard to DIY. Baseboards/moulding too.

Since you're doing it on a wood subfloor it's a little more work than on a cement slab, but since the subfloor was just redone it will not be as bad as doing it on a mystery subfloor that may have bounce/rot issues. Besides hardwood, tile is about the most durable and long lasting floor you can get (hardwood wins because you can sand it down and refinish it every 20 years or so). Tiling gets tricky when you are tiling something besides a floor, using difficult materials, or doing an artisan pattern.

Baseboards aren't hard, they just take a long time because they are inconveniently located right next to the floor. Buy/borrow/rent a powered miter saw and a brad nailer/air compressor and you can put down an entire house's worth of baseboards on a Saturday (probably an extra day for caulking/touchup painting)

You don't want laminate if you actually want to continue living there. Snap-together laminate is probably the easiest of all floors, but responds horribly to surface water. It discolors, soaks it up, expands and buckles. Bad idea for rooms which see wet floors (kitchen, laundry room, bathroom) or people with pets.
Flippers love it, because it is crazy cheap and looks nice for the first 2 or 3 years until the finish wears off.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Our FHA loan required an appraisal but the appraisal also looked at basic livability of the house. They didn't allow us to go to close until an unfinished bathroom had fixtures added and grout work done. I doubt they'd look for anything close to what a general inspector would, and that's still not a lot.

As far as Internet, $200 a month is a ripoff. Jump ship from that and see if you can live off a cheap hot spot from your mobile provider, or add tethering to your plan and live off that. It will cost you a fraction of what you're paying now.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
We are currently in the process of buying a house with an FHA loan, and they require a WDO inspection as well as a 4-point and an FHA appreiser on top of that. It's like $800 worth of inspections, but I ain't complaining after reading EC's story.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

couldcareless posted:

As far as Internet, $200 a month is a ripoff. Jump ship from that and see if you can live off a cheap hot spot from your mobile provider, or add tethering to your plan and live off that. It will cost you a fraction of what you're paying now.

There are a lot of rural areas where 3g/4g whatever just isn't available, and also no cable. In these cases you are usually stuck with Hughes, because you can get DirecTV/Dish for TV but you have zero internet options unless you get satellite internet.

Hughes sucks and the only way to get decent bandwidth, especially for uploads, is to pay through the nose. It's one of those add-on costs that a lot of people don't consider when they're looking at really rural housing and noticing how cheap it is. Yeah, the house itself is cheap, but you're going to pay more for every other service.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

couldcareless posted:

I don't have local access to cable/dsl/t1 lines. I could do WildBlu, but by the time I upgrade the plan to what I get now (10 down/5 up) the fees are crazy and I'd be severely limited on bandwidth. My ISP is a local service that installs towers all over the SE so that rural places like mine can get decent internet via wifi. My work (and my hobbies) requires that I upload a lot, so I worked with them on getting me a decent upload/download speed and a reliable connection with no bandwidth limits. It's insane at $200/mo, but it's literally my only option. We were getting $100/mo from my wife's work until they decided not to reimburse for internet anymore. Not a big deal, but very frustrating when the larger city up the road has crazy fast and unlimited fiber for $50/mo.

In other news, I reached out to my lender (Penny Mac) to find out what is required to start a short sale process. FHA requires us to do run through a loan modification, to see if there is any way they could alter the loan enough for us to keep it. The phone jockey at PM said we should turn all of the required info in with a disclaimer that we do not want to keep the house due to the large money required for repairs. That'll take at least a couple of weeks to process, between them sending us the forms and then processing them when we send them back, in which we'll probably see a lawyer.

We'll see! If y'all are interested, I'll post updates as things happen. Thanks again for the advice.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Leperflesh posted:

There are a lot of rural areas where 3g/4g whatever just isn't available, and also no cable.

Even if you have 3g/4g availalable, bandwidth is still expensive as hell, though you at least avoid the god awful latency of satellite internet.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
How much is your 2 acres worth if unimproved?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

adorai posted:

How much is your 2 acres worth if unimproved?

I'd have to look around, but probably not much in the big picture. Why?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

I'd have to look around, but probably not much in the big picture. Why?
If your unimproved land was worth more than the house minus the needed repairs, I would say gently caress it and sell the land and pay the bank the difference. You mentioned LA, which I am assuming means Louisiana and not Los Angeles, but I don't know how much land is worth there anyway. I know around here, land can reach $25k/acre, possibly more if already zoned with city sewer and water hookups. In fact, looking closely, lots in already built subdivisions (i don't see sizes but I would guess 1/4 acre to 1/3 acre) are selling for well over $50k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

adorai posted:

If your unimproved land was worth more than the house minus the needed repairs, I would say gently caress it and sell the land and pay the bank the difference. You mentioned LA, which I am assuming means Louisiana and not Los Angeles

Ohhhh...that makes more sense.

I was like, if you have 2 acres of land in Los Angeles, I'll give you 200k for it sight unseen!