Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yeah, it'll be a a little bit confusing for people because the last rollover feature they had (rollover minutes) worked differently.

Of course, as it's in their interest to be less than transparent, I'm kinda surprised its as straightforward as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Well, I'm glad we switched from the 30 GB (15 GB doubled) to the 15 GB (10 GB promo) last month. With the rollover, we're never going over 15 GB.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, it'll be a a little bit confusing for people because the last rollover feature they had (rollover minutes) worked differently.

Of course, as it's in their interest to be less than transparent, I'm kinda surprised its as straightforward as it is.

Well, as mentioned it works exactly like rollover minutes works (rollover balance is used last), it's just that it expires after one month which is disappointing.

But you would be correct that almost no one really understood rollover minutes, so his probably will confuse people.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Duckman2008 posted:

Well, as mentioned it works exactly like rollover minutes works (rollover balance is used last), it's just that it expires after one month which is disappointing.

But you would be correct that almost no one really understood rollover minutes, so his probably will confuse people.

I'm not sure what you're saying here exactly as the "Well," implies that you're trying to correct me, but then you go on to agree with me?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying here exactly as the "Well," implies that you're trying to correct me, but then you go on to agree with me?

It works exactly like previous rollover minutes, but sure it's always confusing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

It works exactly like previous rollover minutes, but sure it's always confusing.

Except for the part that doesn't.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Okay, here's a shitstorm of a question:

Backstory: My mom is a retired AT&T employee and has an ancient iPhone 3G she purchased on a 2yr contract with AT&T I think 2010 or 2011. 2015 rolls around and it's clearly time to replace the phone.

We tried to buy a new Iphone 6 directly from the Apple store, however they weren't able to process the transaction as something was preventing them from activating the phone on AT&T's end. I figured at the time it was because she was outside of a contract and needed to sign a new 2yr contract with AT&T, something you could only do directly in an AT&T store?

Today we tried again, this time at an AT&T store. We pick out the phone, sit down with a sales person and try to purchase.

After 30 minutes of trying, the rep claimed that there was no way to purchase the phone (even as an upgrade/new activation) :wtf:

She went back and did some research and let us know that there was some sort of plan discount in affect that was preventing her from activating the new contract (or line or whatever).

I looked at her notes and sure enough on her screen was a note reading:

code:
HOT NOTE: Retired and Bargained employees! NO ACTIVATIONS OR 
I have a picture I took of the Reps tablet showing this information if anyone who works for AT&T could shed some light on this for me.

We're incredibly frustrated right now, what would happen if her phone got run over by a truck? Would AT&T refuse to sign her into a new 2 year contract?

The only solution the rep was able to offer at the time was to remove the 20% discount (which would add almost $40/mo to the phone bill), but told us they may not be able to re-apply it.

Also adding to the confusion: My step-brother was able to purchase a new iPhone outright by paying full retail and had no problem adding it to the account.

Wtf AT&T, do you hate ex-employees or something?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Did your mom work for Cingular? Was she part of a union? From seeing the word "bargained" it sounds like they're retaliating against former union employees. Although that's my communist/labor side talking, maybe it was part of a collective bargaining agreement or something, where a retired employee has to give up the discount in order to activate something new?

(I obviously have no idea what's going on, I just vaguely remember something about Cingular being union)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wicaeed posted:

Also adding to the confusion: My step-brother was able to purchase a new iPhone outright by paying full retail and had no problem adding it to the account.
Can she not just purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple and swap SIM cards? Or does that count as an activation since she'd need to get a new one from AT&T since the 3G's won't fit or be provisioned for LTE? Also, maybe post her plan here and and what she's paying and maybe a data share plan will work out better for her, anyway.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Nah, IIRC she was an old Pacific Bell employee and worked for both SBC and AT&T through their various acquisitions, but always on the Operations side of things.

She used to be a pole climber for Pacific Bell but that was back in the '70s

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Wicaeed posted:

Nah, IIRC she was an old Pacific Bell employee and worked for both SBC and AT&T through their various acquisitions, but always on the Operations side of things.

She used to be a pole climber for Pacific Bell but that was back in the '70s

Well, I can't crack this one!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wicaeed posted:

Okay, here's a shitstorm of a question:

Backstory: My mom is a retired AT&T employee and has an ancient iPhone 3G she purchased on a 2yr contract with AT&T I think 2010 or 2011. 2015 rolls around and it's clearly time to replace the phone.

We tried to buy a new Iphone 6 directly from the Apple store, however they weren't able to process the transaction as something was preventing them from activating the phone on AT&T's end. I figured at the time it was because she was outside of a contract and needed to sign a new 2yr contract with AT&T, something you could only do directly in an AT&T store?

Today we tried again, this time at an AT&T store. We pick out the phone, sit down with a sales person and try to purchase.

After 30 minutes of trying, the rep claimed that there was no way to purchase the phone (even as an upgrade/new activation) :wtf:

She went back and did some research and let us know that there was some sort of plan discount in affect that was preventing her from activating the new contract (or line or whatever).

I looked at her notes and sure enough on her screen was a note reading:

code:
HOT NOTE: Retired and Bargained employees! NO ACTIVATIONS OR 

I have a picture I took of the Reps tablet showing this information if anyone who works for AT&T could shed some light on this for me.

We're incredibly frustrated right now, what would happen if her phone got run over by a truck? Would AT&T refuse to sign her into a new 2 year contract?

The only solution the rep was able to offer at the time was to remove the 20% discount (which would add almost $40/mo to the phone bill), but told us they may not be able to re-apply it.

Wtf AT&T, do you hate ex-employees or something?

I would call care and see if they can do it. If I remember to I'll try and look this one up tomorrow (my work is crazy so i tend to forget).

I've seen that very rarely and I'm pretty sure that cannot be serviced in store.

myron cope posted:

Did your mom work for Cingular? Was she part of a union? From seeing the word "bargained" it sounds like they're retaliating against former union employees. Although that's my communist/labor side talking, maybe it was part of a collective bargaining agreement or something, where a retired employee has to give up the discount in order to activate something new?

(I obviously have no idea what's going on, I just vaguely remember something about Cingular being union)

Fyi AT&T is still Union, but it's only sales reps and service reps n

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I'm on Next 12 and bought the LG G3 6 months ago. I really, really regret this purchase, it's been a horrible experience all around. LG Support has decided to stop helping me, so gently caress it, I'm going to change phones and pay off the extra to upgrade early.

I went to the store to pick up a Nexus 6 and it said they were all pulled from shelves at AT&T.. what's going on with that? Any word on when I can actually purchase it? I need to get rid of this lovely phone soon.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I'm on Next 12 and bought the LG G3 6 months ago. I really, really regret this purchase, it's been a horrible experience all around. LG Support has decided to stop helping me, so gently caress it, I'm going to change phones and pay off the extra to upgrade early.

I went to the store to pick up a Nexus 6 and it said they were all pulled from shelves at AT&T.. what's going on with that? Any word on when I can actually purchase it? I need to get rid of this lovely phone soon.

The original batch of Nexus 6 had a defective batty issue of some sorts. They were all sent back. We have since seen pretty steady stock, and the phone isn't a big seller, so I would just try another AT&T store.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

The original batch of Nexus 6 had a defective batty issue of some sorts. They were all sent back. We have since seen pretty steady stock, and the phone isn't a big seller, so I would just try another AT&T store.

Fair enough! Thanks!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Duckman2008 posted:

I've been to four stores now, and called three more. Six told me that AT&T stores no longer stock the Nexus 6, and that it's "special order only". Bizarre.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
I have some questions regarding early contract termination and unlocking. I upgraded my phone to an iphone 6+ at launch under the now grandfathered unlimited data plan, but now I'm thinking about switching to Tmobile's unlimited everything family plan with my family members. Can one of you kind gentlemen/women explain AT&T's process or policies regarding this? Tmobile claims they will pay the ETF, but does AT&T unlock the phone? If they do unlock the phone, what circumstances have to be fulfilled first? Thanks in advance.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Kuhmondo posted:

I have some questions regarding early contract termination and unlocking. I upgraded my phone to an iphone 6+ at launch under the now grandfathered unlimited data plan, but now I'm thinking about switching to Tmobile's unlimited everything family plan with my family members. Can one of you kind gentlemen/women explain AT&T's process or policies regarding this? Tmobile claims they will pay the ETF, but does AT&T unlock the phone? If they do unlock the phone, what circumstances have to be fulfilled first? Thanks in advance.

You have to trade in your phone for T-Mobile to pay your ETF, so keep that in mind.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Phantom Limb posted:

You have to trade in your phone for T-Mobile to pay your ETF, so keep that in mind.

You have to trade in A phone. The woman at T-Mobile told me that people would go buy a cheap Go phone and trade that in to qualify.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kuhmondo posted:

AT&T won't unlock the phone until the contract is over or the ETF is paid.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009

Phantom Limb posted:

Duckman2008 posted:

AT&T won't unlock the phone until the contract is over or the ETF is paid.

Wait, so how does that work? I unlock my current 6+ then trade it in for a T-Mobile 6+? I thought T-Mobile phones already come unlocked.

I understand that unlocking the phone only happens when ETF is paid. For clarification purposes my plan is to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and still use my current 6+ that gets unlocked from AT&T after the ETF is paid. Is this plan still possible if T-Mobile requires me to trade in my current 6+? Or will I have to purchase a T-Mobile branded 6+?

Sorry if i'm missing something here and all the questions, i've been with AT&T for many years and never really planned to cancel or anything of the sort. Now that T-Mobile has that family plan i'm highly considering it because i'm the only one on AT&T in my family while three members are T-Mobile.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Kuhmondo posted:

Wait, so how does that work? I unlock my current 6+ then trade it in for a T-Mobile 6+? I thought T-Mobile phones already come unlocked.

I understand that unlocking the phone only happens when ETF is paid. For clarification purposes my plan is to switch from AT&T to T-Mobile and still use my current 6+ that gets unlocked from AT&T after the ETF is paid. Is this plan still possible if T-Mobile requires me to trade in my current 6+? Or will I have to purchase a T-Mobile branded 6+?

Sorry if i'm missing something here and all the questions, i've been with AT&T for many years and never really planned to cancel or anything of the sort. Now that T-Mobile has that family plan i'm highly considering it because i'm the only one on AT&T in my family while three members are T-Mobile.

Silly Burrito posted:

You have to trade in A phone. The woman at T-Mobile told me that people would go buy a cheap Go phone and trade that in to qualify.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Kuhmondo posted:

You have to trade in a phone to get the ETF paid for by T-Mobile, but according to Silly Burrito's post, you can just trade in any cheapo phone to get that taken care of, so you can ignore my original post.

Kuhmondo
Jul 2, 2009
Hot drat if it's any cheapo phone. Thank you guys for clarifying.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I have a question. So, my friend got a phone through AT&T Next and is paying $30/month for it. She broke the phone. What are her options now? She's been using an old phone but her mom is mad that she is paying $30/month for her to use an 8 year old phone.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I have a question. So, my friend got a phone through AT&T Next and is paying $30/month for it. She broke the phone. What are her options now? She's been using an old phone but her mom is mad that she is paying $30/month for her to use an 8 year old phone.

Tell her that her mom is a stupid bitch for getting mad at AT&T when it was her daughter that broke the phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

She isn't paying $30 a month for an 8 year old phone, she is paying the remainder of the phone purchased that just happened to be lost. If you get a diamond ring from a jeweler on a 24 month payment plan and lose the ring two months in, the payments just don't go away. Same concept.

She can pay whatever the balance is to get another phone $0 down, file for insurance if she has it, or buy a phone used off eBay or wherever. If she doesn't have insurance then she was saving monthly at least.

Or, in angry but correct terms:

obeyasia posted:

Tell her that her mom is a stupid bitch for getting mad at AT&T when it was her daughter that broke the phone.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

She isn't paying $30 a month for an 8 year old phone, she is paying the remainder of the phone purchased that just happened to be lost. If you get a diamond ring from a jeweler on a 24 month payment plan and lose the ring two months in, the payments just don't go away. Same concept.

She can pay whatever the balance is to get another phone $0 down, file for insurance if she has it, or buy a phone used off eBay or wherever. If she doesn't have insurance then she was saving monthly at least.

Or, in angry but correct terms:

I want to answer more questions than I do. But I'm too angry and usually give up halfway through.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

I want to answer more questions than I do. But I'm too angry and usually give up halfway through.

Once you do it enough at work, it can be hard to come here and do it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Have you noticed a lot more pressure on numbers lately? Maybe it's just because I'm management now, but man, all I hear about lately is just numbers, and questions on why we aren't there (and that we better get there ASAP). AT&T has never been great at giving a pat on the back, but this month has just been way more intense than normal.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Have you noticed a lot more pressure on numbers lately? Maybe it's just because I'm management now, but man, all I hear about lately is just numbers, and questions on why we aren't there (and that we better get there ASAP). AT&T has never been great at giving a pat on the back, but this month has just been way more intense than normal.

My location is harping myatt hard. Of all things.

Doc_Uzuki
Jun 27, 2007
Two quick questions for you helpful ATT Goons:

Are there any bundle discounts available for Wireless + DSL?

Does my company qualify me for a discount: Summit Brewing Company

As an aside, we've had TMobile, Verizon, then TMobile again. The service where we live is atrocious but if we drive five minutes in any direction it's just fine. A switch to ATT is probably inevitable but I was curious about discounts available.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Two quick questions for you helpful ATT Goons:

Are there any bundle discounts available for Wireless + DSL?

As an aside, we've had TMobile, Verizon, then TMobile again. The service where we live is atrocious but if we drive five minutes in any direction it's just fine. A switch to ATT is probably inevitable but I was curious about discounts available.

Ask your HR department about discounts, they will know.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

My location is harping myatt hard. Of all things.

They want to get every store to 140% log in rates in my area.

Doc_Uzuki posted:

Bribe the local store with beer.

On a serious note, if Summit uses AT&T for their work phones you would qualify for 8% off, which is $5-8 off most plans. Nothing crazy, but that would be the most.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I have like 22% off through my previous employer. Do they not give discounts this big anymore?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

How long does it take FAN discounts (or whatever they are called these days) to show up?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

I have like 22% off through my previous employer. Do they not give discounts this big anymore?

They do, but it depends on the size of the company and what deal they bartered with AT&T. For the most part small companies (50 and under) get 8% by default, but if they barter sometimes AT&T will offer up to 23% (mileage varies on the scenario).

And FAN discounts usually only take at most one bill cycle.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kinda curious if this is going to get AT&T to finally boot people off the unlimited plans:

quote:

In a case that could have broad implications, the Federal Trade Commission on Wednesday ordered prepaid mobile provider TracFone to pay $40 million for slowing down the speeds of customers who had paid for unlimited data service.

While the case was specific to TracFone, a number of carriers still offering unlimited service have been slowing down, or throttling, the speeds of customers who use more than a certain amount of data. Both the FTC and Federal Communications Commission have taken a dim view of the practice.

“The issue here is simple: When you promise consumers ‘unlimited,’ that means unlimited,” said Jessica Rich, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, in a statement Wednesday.

http://recode.net/2015/01/28/ftc-says-unlimited-data-with-throttling-doesnt-count-as-unlimited/

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Can someone tell me what the monthly cost would be for a family share plan with the following options, I can't find anywhere on the At&t site where I can price out a plan, everything is just giving me options as if I am an existing customer even though I am not logged in.

2 lines @ 450 rollover minutes
Unlimited texting
10GB data shared

I'm currently on a single line Next12 plan with 450 minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data (old school) and I am paying ~$135 a month (around $99 after 12 months is up I guess) Don't really need to keep Next account if I change to a 2 line plan though, I generally never buy subsidized phones unless I am selling them off immediately.

Edit: NM I found it finally. Setup on the site is terrible.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

thebushcommander posted:

Can someone tell me what the monthly cost would be for a family share plan with the following options, I can't find anywhere on the At&t site where I can price out a plan, everything is just giving me options as if I am an existing customer even though I am not logged in.

http://myattrpc.com/