Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Linguica posted:

Brutal Doom comes out with a new "standalone" version. Zenimax defends their turf and lawyers up. The lawyers decide they might as well go all the way and send C&Ds to the idgames archive hosts to remove all files with edited versions of game assets. There is a WAD holocaust as thousands of files are removed. Doomworld despises Sgt. Mark slightly more.

I have it on good authority that Sgt. Mark has already broken apart the chicken bones and read the writing in the marrow. BD v20 will bring about the end of Doom as we know it. It's gonna be like Schindler's List, except with "The Adventure of Square" and "Aeons of Death" and NAZIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Wait is that really happening?

Brutal Doom v20 may (and this isn't set in stone yet) be compatible with Freedoom.

Nobody outside of this thread is really going to give a poo poo.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 28, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Shadow Warrior Classic Redux finally has an editor included with it. It's the usual BUILD editor, but it should be fun to dabble with if you ever wanted to try making maps for SW.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I have it on good authority that Sgt. Mark has already broken apart the chicken bones and read the writing in the marrow. BD v20 will bring about the end of Doom as we know it. It's gonna be like Schindler's List, except with "The Adventure of Square" and "Aeons of Death" and NAZIS.

What do you mean, that zenimax will ban modding? No irony intended, I just didn't get what you mean.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Guillermus posted:

What do you mean, that zenimax will ban modding? No irony intended, I just didn't get what you mean.

It's jokes, dingus.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Clearly Brutal Doom is a long ploy to get people to abandon Doom modding and start actively editing Duke3D, the Quake games and Unreal Tournament again.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 28, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only mod required to enjoy UT... is the uninstall mod!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's a mod that uninstalls all the useless, pointless, non-UT games on your computer? Sweet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I made a map for a Doomworld project (Nova 2) but would really appreciate any feedback on it.

It's here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=95749965048434473405

You also need to load the resource file: http://www.mediafire.com/download/dpjherapy5jfflp/nova2tex_20140620.zip

It's limit removing Doom 2 in map 1.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Watch your mouth.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Can we rename this thread to The Early FPS Megathread - Read Master Of Doom?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Demon Steele is what the 2013 Shadow Warrior should have been.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yeah, although I have also successfully described it as "the enemy/player balance concepts of Doom taken to the nth degree" In that way, at least, Demonsteele is more Doom than Doom (eat it BD)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's funny you say that since the melee mechanics are basically identical to the SW2013 ones!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I tried the demo of that the other day. Seemed okay. Probably should've bought it while it was on sale on PS4, but if I ever get around to the PC version, at least I know I get Excalibat.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
There was more to SW 2013 than melee mechanics, though.

I'm actually in the middle of playing through SW for the first time and I think it's great, but it's also got some pretty glaring pacing issues in its level design. I mostly really hate how heavily it relies on the pattern of "walk around most of the level totally unopposed, then hang around some open-ish area fighting a couple of waves of whatever, repeat every few minutes"; it made for a few fun encounters very early in the game but that kind of staggered enemy placement just gets really tiresome and predictable after a while.

That said, pretty much everything else about is really fun (the melee is super satisfying, Wang and Yoji have a great protagonist/sidekick dynamic, and a lot of the visuals are gorgeous). It's definitely the sort of 90s FPS reboot that I really wish DNF had been (level design issues notwithstanding). I haven't played Demonsteele yet but if it's anywhere near as fun as (or more fun than) SW 2013 then I'm sold :)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think the best comparison for SW 2013 is something like a Platinum game. All the focus is on the ranked fights, and everything between them is there for a breather or plot.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

It's funny you say that since the melee mechanics are basically identical to the SW2013 ones!

I wear my inspirations on my sleeve. :shobon:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Stupid question but is there any way to remove the letterboxing in Aleph One in non-widescreen resolutions or is it stuck that way?

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart
I'm interested in checking out Demonsteele, but it doesn't seem to be a logical fit for standard IWADs... Does anyone have a recommendation for a good level set to pair it with for some proper insanity? (Sorry if this has already been asked and answered.)

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
nuts3.wad

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zeether posted:

Stupid question but is there any way to remove the letterboxing in Aleph One in non-widescreen resolutions or is it stuck that way?

It's stuck that way out of dumb 100% accurate porting of the original Mac OS version. It still reserves the old black space where the original HUD was drawn in 4:3 mode. May I suggest playing in a 16:9 window with the XBLA/FloatingX hud instead?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

reinardus vulpes posted:

I'm interested in checking out Demonsteele, but it doesn't seem to be a logical fit for standard IWADs... Does anyone have a recommendation for a good level set to pair it with for some proper insanity? (Sorry if this has already been asked and answered.)

I believe Scythe2 gets mentioned alot in regards to wads that go with Demonsteele. I haven't got to try it yet though. I imagine any slaughter maps would probably work too.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Guys, assume I'm an idiot and have no idea how to make the pistol start script work properly. I want to try a run like that as I've never done it before but can't get it working.

Did you download the Pistol Start wad in the OP?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh gently caress me, no. :downs:

I'd heard about it being a script and was trying to add command lines and all that bollocks. Always an easier way...

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh gently caress me, no. :downs:

I'd heard about it being a script and was trying to add command lines and all that bollocks. Always an easier way...

The "wad" file is really a text file with like 3 lines of code, super simple. If you ever use a mod that changes the weapons, it's straightforward to figure out what the new weapon is called and editing the wad through Slade

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

reinardus vulpes posted:

I played through Scythe 2 so many times with DemonSteele that it’s practically balanced around the entire mod.
Hellground (not Hellbound, before anyone makes a smart comment) is the perfect combination of gothic atmosphere and crazy levels that fits DemonSteele perfectly, if you don’t mind fights a little on the easy side.
If you want a more atmospheric levelset rather than anything action-based, Dissolution is a personal favorite of mine.
I recently finished playing through Rush and it was an incredibly fun experience. It gets very laggy in map12, though, I need to figure out why.
If you have a powerful computer and can handle a whole ton of enemies, New Gothic Movement is guaranteed to test your might.
Finally, Aeternum is a nice three levels of chaos and mayhem, dark environments and a good slew of enemies to cut down.

Hope you enjoy. Please let me know if you have any issues or troubles.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
While we're talking about Demonsteele, is there a good "how to play" video or text post or something? I'm pretty terrible at it and keep getting hit by fireballs and other stuff that should be inconsequential, while never seeming to get my rank above C :downs:

Also Scythe 2 is a great mapset for Demonsteele, it's what I'm starting with. Maybe I should have picked an easier wad or something I'm familiar with, but see the above :downs:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

There isn't, sorry. The closest thing there is at the moment is the F1 help screen.
Outside of that, I think the big things to keep in mind is "dodge can go through projectiles, Blind Guardian is a buttshield, sheathe can block things very well".

I wouldn't mind trying my hand at an old-fashioned game manual, though, so as to go a bit more in-depth. There's a few things that aren't really that obvious.

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 28, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Elliotw2 posted:

Unfortunately SW'13 is bogged down with a bunch of unfun bullshit, like wandering around big empty spaces, guns that don't feel good to use, a pointless levelling system, and so on. That's just me though, it has its fair share of fans so clearly it did something right.

reinardus vulpes
Nov 5, 2010

de cele amor Dieus me gart

TerminusEst13 posted:

I played through Scythe 2 so many times with DemonSteele that it’s practically balanced around the entire mod.
Hellground (not Hellbound, before anyone makes a smart comment) is the perfect combination of gothic atmosphere and crazy levels that fits DemonSteele perfectly, if you don’t mind fights a little on the easy side.
If you want a more atmospheric levelset rather than anything action-based, Dissolution is a personal favorite of mine.
I recently finished playing through Rush and it was an incredibly fun experience. It gets very laggy in map12, though, I need to figure out why.
If you have a powerful computer and can handle a whole ton of enemies, New Gothic Movement is guaranteed to test your might.
Finally, Aeternum is a nice three levels of chaos and mayhem, dark environments and a good slew of enemies to cut down.

Hope you enjoy. Please let me know if you have any issues or troubles.

Loaded up Scythe 2 with Demonsteele "just to check it out" and couldn't stop playing - still can't. Thanks for the recommendation and amazing work on this mod, TerminusEst13.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I tried out demonsteele for the first time this weekend, coop with a friend of mine on Flashback To Hell. Awesome. We took out a huge pack of barons with him in the middle slashing away and me air dashing back and forth over the crowd shooting grenades in.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

You guys weren't kidding about Demonsteele + Scythe 2. :stare:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Whoever designed "Defend This" in Marathon, screw you because I had to redo the whole computer chip segment after being crushed by the corners of one of those "chompers" leading to the area where I needed to plant the chips on the return trip.

Also that switch puzzle where you have to hit one with a grenade with your back to the wall is crazy.

(Despite this I still like launching nades at the Pfhor groups to see the gibs)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Something something Colony Ship For Sale, Cheap puzzle :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there something I can do to make gzdoom pause and let go of my processor while minimized?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thanks for posting that. In all Early FPS games, there is no puzzle so appallingly poorly designed as the Colony Ship puzzle.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Unfortunately SW'13 is bogged down with a bunch of unfun bullshit, like wandering around big empty spaces, guns that don't feel good to use, a pointless levelling system, and so on. That's just me though, it has its fair share of fans so clearly it did something right.

I also found the leveling system to be a bit trite and the weird comic drama Hard Reset-esque cutscenes that the game liked to shoehorn in stuck out like a sore thumb in contrast to the game's otherwise light-hearted tone and ingame cutscenes. I think it's an alright game, but certainly overrated.

The whole formula of walking around and then getting ambushed is a system that works very well when the player actually has scenery to admire along the way, like Painkiller's massive cathedrals or military bases or Serious Sam's huge deserts and pyramids. That way there's effective contrast between huge, expansive areas and tight, focused combat situations. Instead, in SW 2013, you're mostly wandering through boring corridors or tiny town alleyways most of the time. I have to admit I just sort of stopped playing when the further I got the blander the levels became.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Here's a gameplay demo of Strafe. I think it looks pretty decent. The HUD+gun take up way too much screen space though, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48GlqcTDqzc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's really rough looking right now. The hud's gigantic, and the combat doesn't really seem to have the feel I expect from a Quake era shooter. There's simultaneously too much going on and not enough going on, if that makes sense.

Also having an enemy bleed hurtfloor is an exceptionally stupid idea with how cramped everything is.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 29, 2015