Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha Obari's twitter is loving amazing. He was so hyped for this episode.

https://twitter.com/g1_bari

I dont know if he's feigning ignorance with the Tryon sword but you cant trust bandai with this sort of thing. They might really have just added it at last minute.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Is it my imagination or did the CGI for Sid look worse then it did in the final episode of age?

A little. However it is important to remember that this episode is a B-Plot episode at best, while the Sid fight was the finale for Gundam AGE. Its not actually shocking that they spent more money and time animating it for the grand finale than they did so that it could chump to Shia in the opening round of the tournament.

That said, it is pretty funny that the Sid gets chumped again. That thing is just the loving worst.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Haha Obari's twitter is loving amazing. He was so hyped for this episode.

https://twitter.com/g1_bari

I dont know if he's feigning ignorance with the Tryon sword but you cant trust bandai with this sort of thing. They might really have just added it at last minute.

Can we get a non-Google Translated version of the tweets in question for those of us who aren't Japanese-proficient? I need to see this. :allears:

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Let's Try On!

Best part of the episode, and it was still a pretty good episode.

Re: Shia and such, I think what they're aiming for is to technically make all of the Gunpla Academy qualify as a rival to any given member of Team Try Fighters, on top of a 'primary' rival. Saga has the most obvious joint motivation - he kicked all their asses singlehandedly. Shia is Fumina's rival as successor to Lady Kawaguchi (for some reason), arguably rivals Yuuma as a fellow builder, and Sekai has the shiptease + Shia wanting him to be a strong fight. Wilfred is the odd man out in this, since he's only really fought Sekai, and doesn't have any particular grievances or interests in the other two. Maybe something'll be set up in between the remaining matches, but hard to say.

All I know is, we're definitely back to the plavsky particle shenanigans, and it truly brings out the best in the models.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Monathin posted:

Can we get a non-Google Translated version of the tweets in question for those of us who aren't Japanese-proficient? I need to see this. :allears:

He retweets bandai's announcement that the model is in the planning stages and goes "What is this...Tryon 3 apparently has a sword...I dont understand..."

I'm pretty sure he's just loving with people, his comment has been retweeted more than the actual bandai tweet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If it didn't have a sword, how could it possibly pull off the Obari pose?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He retweets bandai's announcement that the model is in the planning stages and goes "What is this...Tryon 3 apparently has a sword...I dont understand..."

I'm pretty sure he's just loving with people, his comment has been retweeted more than the actual bandai tweet.

That's incredible. God bless Obari.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

ImpAtom posted:

No idea what the hell team Jegan/Blue Frame/third I can't remember was though, they seemed pretty mishmash.

The cameos in this sequence are amazing, but confusing. The theme for that team seems to be "Mobile suits painted like the mobile suit generation that proceeded them," I think? You've got a Hygogg painted like a gogg, and Efreet custom painted as a gouf (but with that giant sword thing from the blue frame for some reason) and a Gm Quel painted up like a Gm custom. If I am right about that then that teams theme is downright esoteric.

look at this poo poo! Who pulls those references?

Chewbacca fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 28, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I guess I was the only excited by seeing Team SD-R using tripwires and guerrilla tactics like the Renato brothers. Rest of the episode was great too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackchamber posted:

I guess I was the only excited by seeing Team SD-R using tripwires and guerrilla tactics like the Renato brothers. Rest of the episode was great too.

No, that was pretty awesome too. Especially the malicious glowing SD eyes.

They're just kinda suffering for having little personality and being Team Try's next fight so we know they lose real quick.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would find it hilarious if the battle is in space or the DESSERT field and they can't lay any traps and thus self destruct Team Free style. I mean I know that won't actually happen, but it would be funny. Hopefully we'll get RG mode Star Winning though.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I enjoyed the ninja suits that actually used traditional ninja abilities. Too bad they got chumped!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

No, that was pretty awesome too. Especially the malicious glowing SD eyes.

They're just kinda suffering for having little personality and being Team Try's next fight so we know they lose real quick.

Everyone runs plavsky magic gimmicks and I like that in S1 and now S2 there are people making it in the semifinals using tactics to win. I still feel like the Renato bros had one of the best fights so I have high hopes these kids won't disappoint.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The spec page during the episode showed the sword.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

They're obviously saving the reveal for the Tryon-3's sword, which will probably get its own super robot sequence of forming and drawing out complete with Sunrise Pose. It's a super robot pastiche so it has to have a sword.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

KoB posted:

The spec page during the episode showed the sword.

I know, which is why he commented on it. I loving posted the image on both threads.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

That's sort of amazing.

"We can include Age once. Only once."

"JOB THE FUCKER."

W.T. Fits posted:

So I guess the restriction on them not being able to use AGE stuff ended? That's cool. Glad to see them celebrate this by having a girl utterly curbstomp the final boss of AGE.

There's something poetic about that.

The only disappointment for me is that it didn't cut to Kabuki Snake in the audience saying: "Vegan Gear?!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

GAT-X131 Calamity Gundam (SEED)
ZGMF-X31S Abyss Gundam (Destiny)
PMX-000 Messala (Zeta)
OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate (W)
MS-08TX[EXAM] Efreet Custom (BD)
MSM-03C Hy-Gogg (0080)
MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger (0080)
RGM-79Q GM Quel (0083)
Hyakkimaru (SD)
GN-009 Seraphim Gundam (00)
GF13-021NG Gundam Spiegel (G)
MSJ-04 Fanton (00)
RGM-86R GM III (ZZ)
GT-9600 Gundam Leopard (X)
Vagan Gear Sid (AGE)

Technically it's the Vagan Gear K but come on dude, you just painted it gold. The Gundam Leopard also confused me for a bit because the dude modified it to be symmetrical and that just broke my mind.

I'm not sure what this is, and I'm also not too sure about that Gelgoog J. But eh.

Anyways the beginning of the episode was the most amazing loving thing ever, and it pretty much kept being great from there. The OP having SFX was neat (even if they stopped at Junya for some reason?), China did a thing, the fights were great, and the debut of AGE ended with it immediately being chumped. :allears:

I was expecting the G-Portent to have quantized at the end, not just throw up a GN Field though. Eh.

EDIT:

Chewbacca posted:

You've got a Hygogg painted like a gogg, and Efreet custom painted as a gouf (but with that giant sword thing from the blue frame for some reason) and a Gm Quel painted up like a Gm custom.

Oh, thanks. I spent forever trying to figure out what GM that was and the closest I could figure was the Custom. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 28, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're forgetting that Yuuma is an award-winning artistic builder on a national level. It's not just that he should be building well, but building creatively to boot. If you want to sell this as a story point, it needs to be shown with something new. A simple backpack change does not do that.

If you think creative == art, you've clearly never taken the time to perfectly finish a kit.

Like there was this one basic Zaku I or something that won a modeling contest over all sorts of crazy things because it was perfect.

And this is all ignoring how this show is animated, so no duh the protagonist designs are gonna be simpler.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 28, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

And this is all ignoring how this show is animated, so no duh the protagonist designs are gonna be simpler.

Well, to be fair, Winning.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Winning's pretty much fallen into the same problem as Sengoku Astray, where it's pretty clear the animators are taking shortcuts any time it does anything. Episode 12 might have been the first time it actually had something resembling animation that wasn't it flying around as a jet.

Hell, Star Winning has funnels just to make it easier to animate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Winning's pretty much fallen into the same problem as Sengoku Astray, where it's pretty clear the animators are taking shortcuts any time it does anything. Episode 12 might have been the first time it actually had something resembling animation that wasn't it flying around as a jet.

Hell, Star Winning has funnels just to make it easier to animate.

Ah, I thought you meant complexity of gimmick.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Dude that Spiegel was dressed up like Tobikage

and the Seraphim was dressed like that Gundam from the ninja gundam manga

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not sure what this is, and I'm also not too sure about that Gelgoog J. But eh.

Its an Efreet.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The op having sound effects makes it so much better than it was. Team ninja was the gooniest team I expect to see. Watching suits from Destiny get clumped will never get old.

Shia vs Strike Freedom please. I want to see it torn apart.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If Vegan Gear was indeed a one time thing, by virtue of this being a tournament arc, all it really CAN do is appear and lose, or be one of the montage fighters that are never seen again.

Iiii'm gonna go with the one that gets meaningful screen time, even if it's a one sided loss.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

They've actually posted a twitter regarding the Sid. AGE is apparently still locked but both parties were able to reach an agreement to use the Sid for this episode and regretted they couldn't use it for the OP because its just for this episode.

Sorry for the double post, but do you have a link to the source on this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

If Vegan Gear was indeed a one time thing, by virtue of this being a tournament arc, all it really CAN do is appear and lose, or be one of the montage fighters that are never seen again.

Iiii'm gonna go with the one that gets meaningful screen time, even if it's a one sided loss.

Well, it is how it loses.

It literally loses when the enemy team handicaps themselves into a 1v1 fight between mobile suit and mobile armor, with the mobile armor both supposed to be significantly more powerful and made with the assumption it would be fighting that team, even if the robot is new. That is jobbing of the highest caliber.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That's not what I'm saying.

If this "one time deal" thing is true... Then how the heck do you have it belong to a named character and win? This is a tournament. If it wins, then you're locked into its user arbitrarily deciding to switch its Gunpla to something else for no reason because hey, guess what, the contract is up.

The only way it can appear, win, and subsequently fade into the ether is if it belongs to a no name team beating another no name team, which woud afford it... what, a minute of screen time?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Trion 3 made me smile today. :allears:

Also, I'd like to thank the staff for remembering that Gundam Leopard exists, too.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

oh my god what if they make MG ZZ 2.0 so they can make MG Tryon 3

i would literally die of joy

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

Sorry for the double post, but do you have a link to the source on this?

https://twitter.com/mkaz0310

One of the shows producers.

Also the tweet in question
https://twitter.com/mkaz0310/status/560426765495959553

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

oh my god what if they make MG ZZ 2.0 so they can make MG Tryon 3

i would literally die of joy
:flashfap:
Yeeeesssss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want them to make a new G Generation (X)World which has all the BF suits in it. Including Tryon-3.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Honestly if HGBF Tryon does well enough I'm pretty sure that bandai would make a new MG ZZ mold just to make that, tryon and ZZZ.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
You don't scare me gunpla academy, Lucas Nemesis will wreck your poo poo up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

:ironicat:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

To be fair, his reasoning was "You took forever sis, fight alone."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
he will NEVER be meijin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

No see this wasn't about disdain, he was giving her a prnalty for being late on her build and potentially harming the team! Which he does by potentially getting his team eliminated. Yeah I don't think Slick Willy really thought the logic through on that one.

• Locked thread