Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Commoners posted:

I am glad I am in SD and not in the hellblasted blizzard snowland that is currently the east coast naval bases.

I'm looking forward to seeing how long it takes to dig us out because plows have to be diverted to rescue people who didn't think the traffic ban applied to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
NSA Hampton Roads is on a 2-hour stand down because East Cost Solidarity I guess?

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

ActusRhesus posted:

ask someone to explain the numbering system to you. Once you know that, it's hard to get lost. If you've ever been to the Pentagon it's a similar concept.

Deck/Level - Frame - Position Relative to Centerline - Space Indicator

Deck/Level: Levels start with Zero, and count up. Decks do not, and count down.
Frame from the start to the end. Carriers have more than 200.
The centerline is always weird. Even is port and odd is starboard I think. The bigger the number, the more outboard the space is.

Indicators are mostly bullshit and Q.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Boon posted:

NSA Hampton Roads is on a 2-hour stand down because East Cost Solidarity I guess?

more like you might get some rain or something and that turns Virginia drivers.stupid.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

more like you might get some rain or something and that turns Virginia drivers.stupid.

Implying that it takes weather to make Virginia drivers stupid.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

orange juche posted:

Oh that's totally not going to be awkward as poo poo.

I agree.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

orange juche posted:

Implying that it takes weather to make Virginia drivers stupid.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Anyone been stationed at Lemoore hospital in Cali?
I got 8404 to Pendleton then hold over orders at Lemoore as my first duty station.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

You staying over at 32nd Street?

North Island. Which is why it took me 10 minutes to post this, dammit.

shipwrecks
Dec 31, 2008

Wokrider posted:

I got 8404 to Pendleton then hold over orders at Lemoore as my first duty station.

I'm sorry.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

shipwrecks posted:

I'm sorry.

What's so bad about it? I have family in San Diego and I am going to get my car before I report in for fmtb.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wokrider posted:

What's so bad about it? I have family in San Diego and I am going to get my car before I report in for fmtb.

It's pretty much a minimum 2- or 3-hour drive from anything and it usually smells like cows. For such a large base, it's surprisingly light on facilities and amenities on base. And there's not much else off base.

I was there for a couple of days last week for some air wing events; they were saying it had been so foggy the previous two weeks that hardly anyone was able to fly. Nobody had seen the sun in months. The pointy nose guys constantly expressed jealousy that Hawkeyes ended up in Point Mugu after we all left Mirimar in the 90's.

There's a "days since last DUI" sign as you're leaving the base. It was up to 12 days when I left. :what:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

North Island. Which is why it took me 10 minutes to post this, dammit.

Ha, same. The internet here blows.

Also, gotta love that I lived here for 3 years and it rained like twice and now I'm here for less then 24 hours and it's already raining.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm glad it was only San Diego raining. I lived here for 5 years and a few times we got some downpours that the civil engineers just did not plan for and the roads get flooded. Like, up to car doors flooded.

Also I was going to enjoy being back here but this morning we did a PFA and then PT straight to lunchtime and I'm old and sore now so I got Five Guys and beer on base and will fall asleep early.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lol

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Wokrider posted:

Currently stationed here, I can send you a PM of different poo poo if you like.

Also it's not cows, it's poo poo.

And the DUI days counter is down to 5 last I saw. God bless America. :911:

Edit:

Wokrider, I sent you a PM for the general climate here. Pretty much stay out of trouble and your 2-3 years here (depending on your contract) should be uneventful and you can leave here that much closer to becoming a nurse or butt doctor or whatever it is you're striving for the Navy. Marine deployments probably won't come along, but you can probably go on the Mercy and get a surface warfare pin if the opportunity arises.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 27, 2015

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
Dear IT goons,

Can you fix the internetz here in NRSW? I'd like to go back to watching cat videos here at work. Thanks.

In all seriousness, is anyone else having problems with the navy internet this morning?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Ha, same. The internet here blows.

Also, gotta love that I lived here for 3 years and it rained like twice and now I'm here for less then 24 hours and it's already raining.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/12/san-diego-rain-us-navy/

This is for you MML.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

SEAL Team None in that picture. I love seeing those guys running around the ships with their plastic guns.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:lol: It's so true though. This town is full of complete pussies who cannot handle a day that isn't 78 degrees and sunny. God forbid it rains even a little bit and people start skidding off the road and houses start sliding off hills. It's loving ridiculous. As a Floridian I just laugh and laugh at San Dieagans, native and adoptive, and what babies they are about everything.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Quick question:

Dude in the background has a device, maybe the fmf corpsman device? But he's also wearing what looks like the usmc good conduct ribbon. Is that weird? Do they give those medals to corpsmen or maybe that device to marines? Is it something else entirely?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

Quick question:

Dude in the background has a device, maybe the fmf corpsman device? But he's also wearing what looks like the usmc good conduct ribbon. Is that weird? Do they give those medals to corpsmen or maybe that device to marines? Is it something else entirely?

Looks like Navy Reserve GCM to me. They also just changed it to where reservists now get the active GCM. Don't know why they felt the need to change that but, whatever.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah it's the fmf pin. Anyone attached to a Marine unit can get it. Officer or enlisted. He does have a Marine good conduct medal so maybe he was a Marine for a bit and then went to the Navy and then got picked up for that while enlisted? I don't know. Those are midshipmen right? Officers wear gold ones but I guess they're not officers yet so idk

I did hear some poo poo that Marines could get that pin they just couldn't wear it. Also heard on ship they can get surface warfare and poo poo but can only wear it on ship. Never saw it though.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jan 28, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Those are midshipmen. Look at the anchors on their collars.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah it's the fmf pin. Anyone attached to a Marine unit can get it. Officer or enlisted. He does have a Marine good conduct medal so maybe he was a Marine for a bit and then went to the Navy and then got picked up for that while enlisted? I don't know. Those are midshipmen right? Officers wear gold ones but I guess they're not officers yet so idk

I did hear some poo poo that Marines could get that pin they just couldn't wear it. Also heard on ship they can get surface warfare and poo poo but can only wear it on ship. Never saw it though.

Yeah it looks like an FMF pin, but that could also be a bronze star instead of the Marine good conduct right? Or the reserve meritorious service medal?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

Yeah it looks like an FMF pin, but that could also be a bronze star instead of the Marine good conduct right? Or the reserve meritorious service medal?

I thought the bronze star was a brighter red. Reserve good conduct seems like the most likely. Reserve for 3 years than to the academy seems like an uncommon path but w/e.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Ron Jeremy posted:

I thought the bronze star was a brighter red. Reserve good conduct seems like the most likely. Reserve for 3 years than to the academy seems like an uncommon path but w/e.

Why is it so unlikely that he was a corpsman that got an FMF pin and then got picked up to goto the academy through whatever that program is called?

Edit: Am I missing something here? It just looks like a prior active duty dude that got picked up to be a plebe. What is the mystery? Good Conduct - McD's - GWOT- GWOTE? - rifle - pistol

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jan 28, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

[quote="Kawasaki Nun" post="440823877"]
Why is it so unlikely that he was a corpsman that got an FMF pin and then got picked up to goto the academy through whatever that program is called?

Edit: Am I missing something here? It just looks like a prior active duty dude that got picked up to be a plebe. What is the mystery? Good Conduct - McD's - GWOT- GWOTE? - rifle - pistol8
[/quote?]

I assumed it was a marine good conduct and thought it was odd that a marine would have an fmf device.

As to why it's odd that a corpsman reservist would pick up and go to the academy? Dunno. Nothing odd about the corpsman part, just never seen a reservist do that before.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 28, 2015

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Only bronze stars I've seen were on a Chief, an HM1, and a SEAL and they weren't that bright, at least compared to the maroon of the good conduct.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah the only odd thing is the Marine good conduct

Again anyone with a Marine unit can get one. Which is usually just HM (obv) LS or PS

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Good conduct ribbon is practically a bronze star in the marines imo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Those are midshipmen. Look at the anchors on their collars.

They have real ribbons and devices so they're probably prior enlisted.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Can't wait for them to commission and then always give their rank as O-1E when asked

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, my resignation packet just made it to the directorate head and got called into his office. Informed that I would go from EP on my FITREP (LT's are due end of January) to bottom of the substantial pile because politics.

I knew it was coming, but still.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Just got a frantic call from PERSUPP and my command, who together seem to have discovered I don't have an extension on file (??) and that my EAOS is 2FEB and I need to get them this poo poo so I can get a DD214.

I don't have a cac reader at the moment, so I can't get on BUPERS to check. But that seems like a massive oversight/mistake somewhere as my EAOS shouldn't be until 2FEB17 and I've never been told anything about 2015. But it's going to be interesting to see yeoman theater for the next two days as they figure out how bad someone hosed up somewhere.

I should ride this out and get out next week idc

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Analogical posted:

Just got a frantic call from PERSUPP and my command, who together seem to have discovered I don't have an extension on file (??) and that my EAOS is 2FEB and I need to get them this poo poo so I can get a DD214.

I don't have a cac reader at the moment, so I can't get on BUPERS to check. But that seems like a massive oversight/mistake somewhere as my EAOS shouldn't be until 2FEB17 and I've never been told anything about 2015. But it's going to be interesting to see yeoman theater for the next two days as they figure out how bad someone hosed up somewhere.

Did you get an E-4 out of a-school and have a 6 year contract but they forgot to have you sign the 2 year extension?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Boon posted:

Well, my resignation packet just made it to the directorate head and got called into his office. Informed that I would go from EP on my FITREP (LT's are due end of January) to bottom of the substantial pile because politics.

I knew it was coming, but still.

Another artifact of the bullshit fitrep/eval system. Happened to a first class of mine who was getting pushed out because of HYT. She was ranked 1 or 2 at the time. I was in the debrief and she told the CO it was bullshit. After she left the room I told him I happened to agree with her. That went predictably well.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Analogical posted:

This exact same thing happened to me too, but if you got an E4 advancement they have a pretty solid case against you as far as keeping you in the Navy.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but I ended up not signing anything after they did a little digging and figured out what was going on.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Stultus Maximus posted:

They have real ribbons and devices so they're probably prior enlisted.

I should've quoted christoff, who I was replying to.

In either case, the female in the front isn't prior enlisted. She would have a GWOT service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Commoners posted:

This exact same thing happened to me too, but if you got an E4 advancement they have a pretty solid case against you as far as keeping you in the Navy.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but I ended up not signing anything after they did a little digging and figured out what was going on.

One of my friends was supposed to OBLISERV for a 36 month "shore" duty tour that he didn't want to go to. He signed the paperwork on the ship but it never made it into his record. He noticed after reporting that his EAOS never changed and brought it up. Eventually, they tried to make him sign an OBLIVSERV paper the day after he got hosed over for something unrelated so he was in a lovely mood... so he said "nope."

He got poo poo on by the chain of command for it and almost caved. He figured since he'd already gone through the worst of it with the CoC that he'd stick to his guns and ride it out no matter how much they hosed with him.

He got out and was immediately hired. The Navy is just a distant memory for him now.

• Locked thread