Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

the chaos engine posted:

Single pixel banding doesn't count imo. I use it all the time to make small poo poo look shaded, I also use it to do AA. My personal rule of thumb is: If the banding looks bad (because basically it makes things look visually off) gently caress with the edges of it, if it doesn't detract from what the image is trying to convey, who gives a heck.

CASE IN POINT:

There's hecka banding in here. I started out addressing it on the first frame of the bounce but since it goes so fast it hardly registers to me so I decided not to bother. Some pixel artist might look at it and say something about the banding. Most people *playing the game* won't care.

On the turnbuckles? I can't even notice it, it's like one frame. Are you making a higher res wrasslin game?

Coldrice posted:

Nah I just stopped tiling :p making a mockup took wayyyy too long and next time I want to get someone to make it for me

Oh can I make a request? I think your tileset could do with some snowy winter trees for the ice biome.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Shoehead posted:

On the turnbuckles? I can't even notice it, it's like one frame. Are you making a higher res wrasslin game?

It's 3 frames per side (one frame being the "idle" so that one doesn't count for the purposes of banding discussion anyway), it goes idle > player collides w the edge > player gets flung back into the ring. It'd look a lot stiffer if there was only 1 collision frame to it, even if it looks like there aren't more frames now.

And no, this is a completely different project. :) WRASSLIN will be lowfi 4 lyfe

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

the chaos engine posted:

Single pixel banding doesn't count imo. I use it all the time to make small poo poo look shaded, I also use it to do AA. My personal rule of thumb is: If the banding looks bad (because basically it makes things look visually off) gently caress with the edges of it, if it doesn't detract from what the image is trying to convey, who gives a heck.

CASE IN POINT:

There's hecka banding in here. I started out addressing it on the first frame of the bounce but since it goes so fast it hardly registers to me so I decided not to bother. Some pixel artist might look at it and say something about the banding. Most people *playing the game* won't care.

Nice animation! I get what you mean about single pixel banding. In the past i went a bit overboard with banding and AA, now im doing the exact opposite, it's difficult to get a good compromise with both, whilst not overdoing it, especially since im focusing on small sprites (usually under or just around 32x32).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Click for huge

I've been busy with other people's stuff but I've been plinking away at this tileset.

I might...redo the grass again :negative:

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Click for huge

I've been busy with other people's stuff but I've been plinking away at this tileset.

I might...redo the grass again :negative:

Yeah, the grass is the weakest bit, but the rest is great! If it's any consolation, im pretty bad with tiles and your grass tile is much better in comparison.

I could be wrong, but i feel the perspective of the buildings doesn't match with the perspective of the trees and vice versa.

Here's some stuff, mainly animations i've done:

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

Chipp Zanuff posted:

In relation to the picture, I have a question; in what context is banding acceptable to use/get away with? I noticed there's a few bits in Aneurxorcyst's picture (Bottom lower corner of the head) where (or at least what i assume to be) banding is used, but i don't think it detracts from it in this case. A lot of tutorials i have read up on tell me to basically avoid it where ever possible, so im wondering what others in this thread think of it?

Also, my stuff is pretty rough - I imagine I'm doing a lot wrong. I know the feet are particularly messed up lighting wise.

...one a day though and speed is my focus (I'm trying to increase my speed and output for game development).

Edit:
Pixel daily today...

Aneurexorcyst fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 13, 2015

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Made a bird last night

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
So my solution to the grass was "No grass texture ever!"

I'm so close to getting this finished. All I have left is to redo the trees, draw some roofs and fix up the layout on the sheet!

I've a bunch of project work too for a job that I'll hopefully be able to show off. It's been slow going but it's pretty exciting.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Shoehead posted:

Same thing I did. There was a terrain update after the previous artist left my project and I was having trouble getting his noisy textures to look decent.

So we ended up going from this

to this:

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I'm so close to getting this finished. All I have left is to redo the trees, draw some roofs and fix up the layout on the sheet!

I've a bunch of project work too for a job that I'll hopefully be able to show off. It's been slow going but it's pretty exciting.

I'm not sure why, maybe it looks better animated, but ..something, feels weird about the perspective there. The beach, with the ridge in the middle, is making me confused when I look at it.

e: Oh, I think it's the lack of shadows, unless I'm wrong. I'd try editing it if I weren't at work.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...

Red Mike posted:

I think it's the lack of shadows, unless I'm wrong. I'd try editing it if I weren't at work.
Same conclusion I came to as well.

Made me feel like I was looking at a magic eye painting for the first few seconds.

May as well post this Katamari Prince sprite I did last week...

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I'm working out a tiled system for creating larger enemy ships in Temporus. Here's an example of a ship getting designed quickly from a standard set of 32x16 tiles. The art is not complete but I like how it's coming together.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
here's some **retro indie classic** pixel art I've been doing this past week.

Super Kid Icarus - in SNES color limitations, as well.

Here's Pit, of course.

Some pillar tiles and a backdrop. I haven't converted the BG to SNES color palettes yet, but the pillars are. (I intentionally banded a bit on the clouds to give it a more Super Nintendo feel, something painful for me to do. but it looks how I wanted, I suppose)

Pik fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 22, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
That looks really pro! I wonder if you could pitch a reboot with that.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Scut posted:

That looks really pro! I wonder if you could pitch a reboot with that.

The reboot already happened.

Also what was the theme on that challenge? There was a very similar thing up on twitter today and even destructoid made a blog post about it.

(Click it, it's a short animated thing)

Edit: vvv Wow I love those portraits a lot! Also yeah I could tell they weren't like, trying to mimick eachother, I just thought there might be a "remake" contest or something.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 22, 2015

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

Jewel posted:

There was a very similar thing up on twitter today and even destructoid made a blog post about it.

(Click it, it's a short animated thing)

Yeah, I was surprised myself to see that GBA Kid Icarus mock-up, a friend showed it to me shortly after I posted mine here. It's a sheer coincidence, but it looks pretty nice.
I guess there's no problem with two people having very similar projects, since we're aiming for different goals-- His being an Uprising demake to GBA, mine being more based of the NES title.

Speaking of which, here are some portraits, again going for a retro style. Has the SNES palette, etc

I just contacted a guy who might be interested in porting it to actual SNES hardware, or at least a ROM. (I'll see how that goes)

And two enemies

Pik fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 22, 2015

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me

Pik posted:

Yeah, I was surprised myself to see that GBA Kid Icarus mock-up, a friend showed it to me shortly after I posted mine here. It's a sheer coincidence, but it looks pretty nice.
I guess there's no problem with two people having very similar projects, since we're aiming for different goals-- His being an Uprising demake to GBA, mine being more based of the NES title.

Speaking of which, here are some portraits, again going for a retro style. Has the SNES palette, etc

I just contacted a guy who might be interested in porting it to actual SNES hardware, or at least a ROM. (I'll see how that goes)

And two enemies

Awesome stuff. I also caught the GBA mockup on twitter and had to do a double take. I like your approach to the visuals a heck of a lot more I gotta say.

While we're on it, what are SNES restrictions? I should move on from NES at some point

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
This discussion reminds me of this action-packed Kid Icarus DS mockup by Kenneth Fejer that somehow was circulated as genuine:

(second GIS result for "kid icarus ds")

Pik
Jan 22, 2015

the chaos engine posted:

Awesome stuff. I also caught the GBA mockup on twitter and had to do a double take. I like your approach to the visuals a heck of a lot more I gotta say.

While we're on it, what are SNES restrictions? I should move on from NES at some point

SNES restrictions, to my understanding, allow 16 colors per sprite. It's 15 bit (not 16 bit), so the color palette goes by multiples of 255- Basically, multiples of 8 minus 1. I still have to research how backgrounds work, and the different "modes" it can do. Thanks, by the way.

As you know, this is the NES palette. You've seen it before.

For comparison, here's the SNES palette. There's 32,768 colors on this baby.

Kenneth Fejer's KI mockup also looks hella cool, I remember seeing it back in the day. It's funny that all of our mock-ups are going for different systems. Point is- do you think all these fan projects can exist without "harming" each other?

Pik fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 22, 2015

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pik posted:

Kenneth Fejer's KI mockup also looks hella cool, I remember seeing it back in the day. It's funny that all of our mock-ups are going for different systems. Point is- do you think all these fan projects can exist without "harming" each other?

It shows there is a fair bit of love for game franchises that got left behind by their parent companies. I'd rather see fan projects about abandoned games instead of yet another goddamn zelda/metroid/mario/sonic homage.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Scut posted:

It shows there is a fair bit of love for game franchises that got left behind by their parent companies. I'd rather see fan projects about abandoned games instead of yet another goddamn zelda/metroid/mario/sonic homage.

*looks guilty*

Where's dat Alundra reboot at?

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
The ground was looking kinda bland, so I added an extra tile to decorate it.

Last update for a while tho, don't want to blow my load too much on this thread.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shoehead posted:

*looks guilty*

Where's dat Alundra reboot at?

Man, an Alundra reboot in pixel-art form (none of this alundra 2-rubbish) would be amazing. Probably look better with a slightly less "earthy" colour palette though.

So pretty much all I've been doing as of late is practicing anatomy, animation and a bit of drawing when possinble. I haven't really made anything i'd ever submit to a gallery like pixeljoint, as i feel it's more important for me to learn by playing about until i get more comfortable animating limbs, the body, movement etc, so i apologise that all of my stuff is repetitive and samey.

I bit the bullet and finally tried to animate a two-handed attack, something i kind of left out as i was initially concerned about the complexity of it:

Having issues trying to ensure the arms aren't out of sync during the attack, or at least ensuring they don't look weird during the actual swing.

Also a one-handed attack, although i was concentrating more on the other hand (free/shield hand) than the actual attack itself:

I feel the jump between him holding it upwards and then him moving his arm backwards and him holding it downwards, is too great, either that or the recovery when he brings it back up. I'm sure it must be the shield, compare it to the empty handed version below:

It feels like jerky, in terms of recovery and movement of the blue arm.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Chipp Zanuff posted:

So pretty much all I've been doing as of late is practicing anatomy, animation and a bit of drawing when possinble. I haven't really made anything i'd ever submit to a gallery like pixeljoint, as i feel it's more important for me to learn by playing about until i get more comfortable animating limbs, the body, movement etc, so i apologise that all of my stuff is repetitive and samey.

For the first one, chest doesn't seem to have any rotation except left-to-right. By which I mean, he doesn't lean back or forwards at all, seems like. The right-side leg looks weird after the slash, during recovery, and the stance overall looks really weird regarding the legs. Hell, the entire stance is odd, no-one would hold the sword like that in that position.

Second one, same chest problem, same odd legs. Also, if you're using a shield, you don't move it down while you're slashing. That's the most important time for it to be protecting you.

Practice using some reference animations, or post the reference animations you're using, because the posing is really weird.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

quote:

So pretty much all I've been doing as of late is practicing anatomy, animation and a bit of drawing when possinble. I haven't really made anything i'd ever submit to a gallery like pixeljoint

Have you been doing any of this on a non-pixel/traditional medium?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

If not, you should probably be.

If so, excellent.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Every time chipp asks for advice everyone tells him to do this and he has always ignored the advice. He will disappear for like two months and then come back with new stuff asking for more advice, but he's never once taken the most important advice.

I'm hoping this is changing....

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

systran posted:

Have you been doing any of this on a non-pixel/traditional medium?

I was reticent before I will admit, and i'd like to apologise for that because it was honest advice i should have taken (for anyone who doesn't know the context, basically learnt the hard way that pixel art is a pretty terrible way to learn anatomy), so i have been practicing although only in the form of drawing so far, haven't tried any other mediums, by that i assume you mean painting, chalk, etc? I haven't tried digital either, if that counts as one ( i have a question about that actually btw). Haven't taken any classes though and i am still using the same books as before as well if that is of any importance, although i have been reading up a lot on tutorials for the body, it's anatomy, breaking it down into shapes, etc, for both pixel and traditional art, on places like pinterest (trying to avoid those anime-tutorials that seem to plague places like deviantart).

In regards to the question; does what I've learnt through drawing necessarily transfer to what i do if i used a stylus/art tablet? So far i haven't been using a stylus/art tablet because of my previous reluctance to draw at all and was wondering if i should perhaps get a tablet and whether it would even be practical for pixel art? I've tried a stylus once before, but it felt for me as awkward as using a pencil/pen. Currently i use either a mouse on my computer or the touch pad on my laptop (which is pretty bad and probably needs replacing at some point), it's really the only way I've ever made stuff and I've stuck with it for that reason. I feel that one of the things holding me back is the way i make stuff, besides the other obvious issues like a lack of artistic knowledge. Sorry if this sounds pretentious, the reality is im basically just making small dots on a computer screen, but i would like to get better at doing that.

Red Mike posted:

For the first one, chest doesn't seem to have any rotation except left-to-right. By which I mean, he doesn't lean back or forwards at all, seems like. The right-side leg looks weird after the slash, during recovery, and the stance overall looks really weird regarding the legs. Hell, the entire stance is odd, no-one would hold the sword like that in that position.

Second one, same chest problem, same odd legs. Also, if you're using a shield, you don't move it down while you're slashing. That's the most important time for it to be protecting you.

Practice using some reference animations, or post the reference animations you're using, because the posing is really weird.

Thanks for pointing that out, the initial animation did have the body leaning forwards, but i cut it out as i thought he learned too far during the actual swing. I need to remind myself when making animations to ensure the actions are actually practical, not just ones that are stylish or look "good", especially if it's going to be an actual animation showing all of it, rather than the way attacks are depicted in games like shining force.

In regards to the legs, is it how far apart they are? Their movement? Looking at it again, the feet should probably move, is it because the feet are still whilst the rest of the body moves? I'm going to try to look for more references for people in combat poses, without going into the unpractical hero-like stances often seen in fantasy pictures or games. To give some context, i originally based them on cloud strife's in-battle pose in ff7:

Kind of embarrassed; i should have seen most of this myself, but it's good to get critique, especially if it points out things you're unaware of. I genuinely thought the legs were okay, because they "looked" right to me.

Edit:

systran posted:

Every time chipp asks for advice everyone tells him to do this and he has always ignored the advice. He will disappear for like two months and then come back with new stuff asking for more advice, but he's never once taken the most important advice.

I'm hoping this is changing....

Didn't see this until after i posted this, so apologies if it seems like i ignored this. This is a fair criticism, I'm loathe to admit this because this is personal stuff and i don't want to be coddled and treated any differently, but i've always had problems in regards to pens and pencils. My writing is pretty much illegible, I've always had difficulty with even the basics, to the point where i've pretty much had to abandon using them at all (which obviously doesn't help me improve at all) until i picked them up again recently. Dysgraphia and Dyslexia pretty much runs in my family and although i've never been diagnosed i do suspect i would probably qualify in some aspect, not to use that as an excuse or a crutch, and if it seems like that, then that is a fair assessment and criticism, but i just wanted to give some reasons and context for my previous reluctance.

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2015

Spamantha
Oct 11, 2006

(tURN ON SOME STRICT BEATS MAYBE, iT WILL HELP TO LISTEN TO THEM WHILE i DESTROY YOU,)

Chipp Zanuff posted:

In regards to the question; does what I've learnt through drawing necessarily transfer to what i do if i used a stylus/art tablet? So far i haven't been using a stylus/art tablet because of my previous reluctance to draw at all and was wondering if i should perhaps get a tablet and whether it would even be practical for pixel art?

From what I have seen in the self-taught thread as well at various daily drawing threads, people do not recommend using a tablet instead of pen/paper while you're learning. Going from pen/pencil on paper to stylus/tablet is not a simple switch. With pen/paper, you can look at the motions of your pen and the results of it at the same time, while with a stylus/tablet you can usually only see one or the other. It takes a little while to make the making a drawing on tablet/seeing a drawing on screen connection in your brain.

I don't do a lot of pixel art but when I do I usually use my stylus/tablet for a rough sketch and then use my mouse for more precise stuff. I think the people in this thread would be better at answering that part though.

Learning to draw in any style/medium requires a lot of practice and honesty with yourself, as well as a mindset that is willing to accept criticism and take advice. It's hard but rewarding once you can create something you can go back to later and think "man, that's actually alright."

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

So you're drawing with a pencil on paper?

Good!

I don't think it's too critical to jump into a bunch of other mediums like painting or digital if your end goal is still pixel art. But just drawing without the limitations of pixel art will help your understanding of anatomy a lot. You may want to give charcoal a shot. It's really messy and weird at first, but what it's really good at is allowing you to very quickly capture the gesture of a figure and get the movement into it. I would buy a really large sketchbook with huge pages, and rig some kind of easel stand-in or buy a cheap easel. Practice drawing with your whole arm and not just your wrist.

This is a nice tool if you can't take a real class: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/

You can do the "class" mode and it will let you slowly warm up with fast sketches and then transition into longer sketches. On the fast sketches you are trying to capture the balance and motion of the figure as quickly as possible. Charcoal is "faster" than pencil and you can much more easily control the thickness of the lines and--on the longer drawings--block in the values without spending ages shading with a pencil. This kind of exercise should really help you with animation and drawing the poses you have been working on in your pixel art for so long.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Coldrice posted:

Made a bird last night

This is excellent.

Pik
Jan 22, 2015
Agreed, the flow of the wings is simple, but they have weight to their motions.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

This is going to sound repetitive, but here I go again: I want you to get a stick (and, for the sword and board example, hold your arm like you have a shield) and swing it like your characters in these animations are swinging their weapons. Don't just look at how they look; feel how they feel. If you're holding a shield and swinging a 1h sword, does that feel the way your sword-and-board animation looks? (I bet it does not.)

If you can, set a camera up to film yourself, and then reduce it to 8 frames.

The bottom line is: ignore what animations do. Look at what actual humans do. (There is no shortage of actual humans using a sword and board. Search YouTube for SCA combat.)

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ninja for @pixel_Dalies.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Speaking of swords, I've been doing mockups for a super sekret summer 2015 project. I made my guy link just because.

The game will feature 8 directional movement but since it's just a mockup why do all the workkkk

The idea is create ~4 slashes that can be played in random order. The attacks hitbox/collision itself will need to be adjusted to be the same regardless of strike to hopefully avoiding throwing off the player

I also thought it might be cool to have some kind of blur on REALLY heavy strikes (like when you kill an enemy). I feel like blur is a lot cooler than screenshake but I could be wrong

Each attack is roughly 4 frames, but the slash effect is like 6

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 29, 2015

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Screenshake is the most utterly overused thing in indie games lately and I cringe every time I see it. I like your blur better!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Orzo posted:

Screenshake is the most utterly overused thing in indie games lately and I cringe every time I see it. I like your blur better!

I agree with this. Screenshake implies a crunch or smash or hard impact. Sword swings are graceful and swift and flow. Screenshake just doesn't work. I'd stick with the blur.

If you still want to have some sort of impact effect, try pausing the game for a frame or two at point of impact to sell it.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Pixel art is not usually my "thing" per se, but anytime I'm making a jam-type super short or experimental game, I'll usually do pixel art because it makes it easier to create all my assets in the engine I use for short things (Gamemaker) but I do still want the games to, ya know, look good. So I figured I might stop in here and ask the X-perts what they think:

Here's a screenie of my most recent micro-project- a ghostlike called House of 1000 Souls. Tryin' to work a semi-random "ghost generator" by combining vague ghosty shapes with vague ghosty heads to produce bizarre but fun ghosties for enemy fodder. Before anyone says it though, yes I know that door in the bottom left is totally off-perspective. I decided to change perspectives about halfway through and the doors never made the transition. Anywho, aside from that, all feedback is welcome/needed! I don't want mah games to be no chumps in art town.

EDIT: I should mention that I do intend to actually change the doors as well. Just realized my wording sounded like me just saying "gently caress it, that'll do."

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Your idea for the random ghosts is clever. Do the head/body combinations impact how the ghosts behave or what abilities they possess?
Aesthetically you have a lot of mis-matched proportions and 'jaggy' lines. You might get better consistency by working with sprites about half the size you currently use and then scale them an exact 2x. Lower numbers of pixels are easier to manage for proportion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The enemy ship tiles for Temporus are pretty much finished pending client approval. Note that these are just the base tiles arranged to check for fit etc and the actual ships will be patterned differently.