Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The first few pages of Unwritten Apocalypse 12 are up for preview on Comics Alliance. Get hype, son.

http://comicsalliance.com/tom-taylor-takes-his-final-bows-in-the-unwritten-apocalypse-12-preview/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Taking brutal advantage of time zones, I just finished it. It ended very much as I expected, as Mike's stuff often does. I think I'm pretty much his ideal reader, though.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Jedit posted:

Taking brutal advantage of time zones, I just finished it. It ended very much as I expected, as Mike's stuff often does. I think I'm pretty much his ideal reader, though.

That was loving perfect.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't know if anyone else has been reading those CMYK books they've been putting out, but it pisses me off so much that they put an ad on the back of them. They would have looked so much better with just a solid color.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

krakagar posted:

That was loving perfect.

Yeah, I'm with you. That was a loving masterpiece.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anyone try Effigy today?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. That was a loving masterpiece.

I might have had tears in my eyes after finishing it. Incredible.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
Picked up the first few TPBs of Fables after finishing The Wolf Among Us since the game's setting seemed quite interesting to me. I liked Legends in Exile, but holy god does the right-wing poo poo pop up fast after that. Goldilocks might as well have been from Oz with how much of a strawman she was. Does the unrest at The Farm get brought up again or was Animal Farm the long and short of it? I hope not, because how that was handled didn't sit well with me at all.

Also, :laffo: at "The War of Yankee Aggression - which those of low education continue to call the American Civil War."

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010
I've been binging on Hellblazer recently, just finished Ennis' run. Was there a change in censoring around the time? Only everyone in his run says frig and frigging all the time. It really distracted me as it just highlighted how much he relies on swearing to emphasise things and without it the dialogue didn't ring true at all.

Stark contrast to the next arc by Jenkins where people are saying gently caress freely, but not nearly as often. It works a lot better.

Leaving aside all the issues with Dillon's samey art, Ennis's run felt a bit...off. Maybe it's because I read Preacher, and I felt like I'd read it all before.

Another minor quibble: how come Ennis, an actual Irish man, writes terrible Irish people?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Nemo07 posted:

Picked up the first few TPBs of Fables after finishing The Wolf Among Us since the game's setting seemed quite interesting to me. I liked Legends in Exile, but holy god does the right-wing poo poo pop up fast after that. Goldilocks might as well have been from Oz with how much of a strawman she was. Does the unrest at The Farm get brought up again or was Animal Farm the long and short of it? I hope not, because how that was handled didn't sit well with me at all.

Also, :laffo: at "The War of Yankee Aggression - which those of low education continue to call the American Civil War."

Coincidentally I'm going through a friend's TPB of Fables while dog-sitting and it's simply incredible. I think Rachael Maddow nailed it when she described it as a misanthropic right-wing comic.

There are some really good ideas here but just steeped in awful scummy characters and odd preachy personalities. Goldilocks is a joke and her wanting to gently caress all the animals and orcs/ogres she sees is really awkward and telling of Bill. When she sees the ogre hobbes and wants to screw him I just shook my head and laughed. If she was a more interesting character and the the farm/monstrous fables were better written there might have been a good story about the hypocrisy between the empire pushing out the fables and the fables doing the same to the non-human ones, but Bill ain't that clever.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mowglis Haircut posted:

I've been binging on Hellblazer recently, just finished Ennis' run. Was there a change in censoring around the time? Only everyone in his run says frig and frigging all the time.

The Irish say "frig" more than "gently caress", that's all.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010
I'm pretty excited about Fables ending so I can finally stop buying it.

Does anyone remember when Vertigo was the place to go for awesome, mature, thoughtful groundbreaking comics? Now that Unwritten is over, they really haven't got much to offer, although I guess it was obvious that when Berger went it was in its last throes.

Thank goodness for Image comics, I guess.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They're putting out new series at a pretty decent rate recently. I've only been following Bodies and The Kitchen (as well as continuing American Vampire) so can't talk to Effegy, Wolf Moon and all that, but I like those a whole lot.

e: Of course Sandman and Astro City aren't brand new ideas, but they're sure not nothing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 18, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

krakagar posted:

You realize there's a much easier solution to this you could have implemented years ago, right?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Another minor quibble: how come Ennis, an actual Irish man, writes terrible Irish people?

Because he has first hand experience of how terrible Irish people are, of course.

Serious answer: he's from Northern Ireland.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

You realize there's a much easier solution to this you could have implemented years ago, right?

Shooting Bill Willingham is hardly easy.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Good interview with Carey and Gross after they finished up The Unwritten:

http://comicsalliance.com/mike-carey-peter-gross-unwritten-exitinterview/

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mowglis Haircut posted:

Leaving aside all the issues with Dillon's samey art, Ennis's run felt a bit...off. Maybe it's because I read Preacher, and I felt like I'd read it all before.

That's impressive as his Hellblazer run ended in 94, and Preacher started in 95.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

bobkatt013 posted:

That's impressive as his Hellblazer run ended in 94, and Preacher started in 95.

But he read Preacher first and then felt that Ennis' Hellbalzer run was similar enough that it was nothing new to him? I don't get what your problem is.

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013

Red Mundus posted:

Coincidentally I'm going through a friend's TPB of Fables while dog-sitting and it's simply incredible. I think Rachael Maddow nailed it when she described it as a misanthropic right-wing comic.

There are some really good ideas here but just steeped in awful scummy characters and odd preachy personalities. Goldilocks is a joke and her wanting to gently caress all the animals and orcs/ogres she sees is really awkward and telling of Bill. When she sees the ogre hobbes and wants to screw him I just shook my head and laughed. If she was a more interesting character and the the farm/monstrous fables were better written there might have been a good story about the hypocrisy between the empire pushing out the fables and the fables doing the same to the non-human ones, but Bill ain't that clever.

Aw, well that's unfortunate that it basically stays lovely like that. I was hoping the comic would have been closer to the game, but I guess that's not the case.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Nemo07 posted:

Aw, well that's unfortunate that it basically stays lovely like that. I was hoping the comic would have been closer to the game, but I guess that's not the case.

I would actually recommend the two Cinderella limited series that were spun off from Fables. They weren't written by Bill Willingham (actually I just realized they're written by the guy who did iZombie), and they were both fun James Bond parodies. I really enjoyed both of them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Chairman Capone posted:

I would actually recommend the two Cinderella limited series that were spun off from Fables. They weren't written by Bill Willingham (actually I just realized they're written by the guy who did iZombie), and they were both fun James Bond parodies. I really enjoyed both of them.

Jack of Fables was pretty fun up until the Great Fables Crossover I finished that and just kind of stopped paying attention to both it and Fables only catching up to them in trade form from the library. Someday I'll get the rest of Jack and the main series. I think I got to the early 100's before I just stopped caring.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fables shits on everything it touches. The crossover with The Unwritten was the absolute nadir of an otherwise great series, and I don't mean Fables.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Jedit posted:

Fables shits on everything it touches. The crossover with The Unwritten was the absolute nadir of an otherwise great series, and I don't mean Fables.

It was better than the best Fables, and worse than the worst Unwritten.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

cptn_dr posted:

It was better than the best Fables, and worse than the worst Unwritten.

I would have read the poo poo out of Fables if the battle with Mr. Dark was going like that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

krakagar posted:

Does anyone remember when Vertigo was the place to go for awesome, mature, thoughtful groundbreaking comics? Now that Unwritten is over, they really haven't got much to offer, although I guess it was obvious that when Berger went it was in its last throes.

Thank goodness for Image comics, I guess.

Every few years people talk about how good Vertigo used to be. I think they still put out great titles, but it seems with every title that reaches an end people will start saying "this is it, Vertigo is going to die now."

One thing I think has taken away from Vertigo though is the resurgence of Image. Before, Vertigo used to be the place the place to go for more mature titles away from the superhero fair, but now Image is becoming that place.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think DC editorial trying its best to get rid of Vertigo as a line is probably the main reason Vertigo is doing poorly.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
They should just follow the lead of FOX's Lucifer and have every Vertigo comic property become a cop book.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

goldenoreos posted:

They should just follow the lead of FOX's Lucifer and have every Vertigo comic property become a cop book.
That had better be a joke :(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

That had better be a joke :(

Nope.

http://io9.com/fox-is-simultaneously-greenlighting-and-ruining-the-luc-1686815107
:smith:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Heh, I like the little bit at the end of the article:

1o9 posted:

The pilot will be directed by Underworld's Len Wiseman and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so at least we know the series has the real Satan's blessing.

Edit: Hail Satan :rimshot:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 24, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

goldenoreos posted:

Definitely this.

Swamp Thing: Park Ranger, Buddy Baker: Animal Welfare Man, Shade the Undercover Man... poo poo writes itself

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Y: The Last Cop

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Fables: The Wolf Among Us

edit: TransMetropolitan Police Department

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

cptn_dr posted:

Fables: The Wolf Among Us

edit: TransMetropolitan Police Department

Magical truthsaying Cop Spider. "Don't move, new scum!"

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
To be fair, let's be real, Lucifer could never be a television show. I don't want to see battles in the Silver City and the creation of a universe with TV-quality computer animation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Vert editorial stuff coming out of the DC move.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/03/molly-mahan-moves-coasts-for-dynamite-to-dc-comics/

They don't look miserable!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I finally got around to finishing The Unwritten today. I'm not sure what I expected out of the ending but I enjoyed what I got. Although it left me wanting more the assholes.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

The Kitchen can't actually end, right? I need 5 seasons of it on AMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Len posted:

I finally got around to finishing The Unwritten today. I'm not sure what I expected out of the ending but I enjoyed what I got. Although it left me wanting more the assholes.

God, it was so good. I'm angry that you've reminded me that it ended :(

I'm currently re reading Lucifer though. It's pretty great guys!

• Locked thread