Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From Ashes > Citadel > Leviathan > Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Fraction posted:

Goons: which of these are the best/worth grabbing?

Citadel is great. From Ashes is basically supposed to be part of the base game.

Arrival is... okay. Worth playing once.

Leviathan. An attempt to make the ending more 'fleshed out'. Ignore.

Omega. Do you like Aria? Well, get it. If you don't - ignore. To be fair, people say it has really good combat sections but I've never actually played it due to the setting and Aria.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Omega is the conclusion to the 4 part comic series starring Aria.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

None of the special weapon/appearance packs are ever worth it, so I say skip.

Arrival and Omega are probably the weakest DLC from their respective games and are totally skippable without missing much of anything, unless you simply can't get enough of ME2/3 combat.

Leviathan I ended up liking a lot, the settings are fantastic and unlike most DLC all the squadmate parts are fully voiced, so it very much feels a part of the main game. Surprisingly lengthy too for its price point. Citadel and From Ashes are the strongest, obviously. I've never played the game without Javik but I imagine a lot of the main themes would feel incomplete without him there. Citadel is fun as a sort of epilogue to the trilogy and has a lot of great moments, even if it doesn't really fit within ME3's storyline.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

It's way more than that, though. Even if you're mad and turning away from anything related to the ending like it's a plastic spoon full of mushed peas, Leviathan still has some of the more memorable locations and activities in ME3, and the mood in certain parts are fantastic.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Tirranek posted:

It's way more than that, though. Even if you're mad and turning away from anything related to the ending like it's a plastic spoon full of mushed peas, Leviathan still has some of the more memorable locations and activities in ME3, and the mood in certain parts are fantastic.
I agree. It looks fab, has great high-sci-fi (I'm not sure that's an existing concept, but I assume you get my meaning) locales, good combat sections, neat non-combat parts, and very solid story-telling throughout. And as exquisite tea mentioned, it's pretty lengthy, too. Citadel will give you the most bang for buck and is the quintessential DLC for saying goodbye to the series, but if you've got some money left after that and From Ashes, I'd strongly recommend getting Leviathan as well.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tirranek posted:

It's got some good ideas. Good enough that I'd have liked them to be better developed and added to the game to begin with, but as for gameplay and bonuses, it falls a little short.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Milky Moor posted:

e: Explains the ending to people apparently too stupid to pick up what was going on in three games.
e2: i really liked the location and the dlc though. Just not the fisher price story summary in the end.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
My problem with Leviathan are the parts that are alright the first time, but are just drags when you replay.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Er, this doesn't need to be that complicated. Bioware gamers are one of two people, you play for the story or you play for the gameplay.

If you're here for the story: From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel

If you're here for the gameplay: Leviathan, Omega and maybe Citadel if you think putting up with all the fanservice is worth one (really) good boss-fight.

Don't buy any weapon packs because that is this game's horse armour.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Edit: oops

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

Don't buy any weapon packs because that is this game's horse armour.
After getting an upgrade to the N7 edition I sort of agree, but the Reegar is too much fun and better than the Firestorm at its own job. The Harrier is also a big deal in multiplayer but in SP it's not that remarkable.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

After getting an upgrade to the N7 edition I sort of agree, but the Reegar is too much fun and better than the Firestorm at its own job. The Harrier is also a big deal in multiplayer but in SP it's not that remarkable.

I put whichever gun has the bigger number, and by ME2 you don't even have that so I just randomly choose.

This aint no gear game and paying for extras is weird.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does the ME3 DLC ever go on sale on PC? I just need Leviathan and Omega but don't want to pay the current asking price even a little.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
ME2 has numbers, They just aren't exposed to the user Which I agree is dumb, but the weapons *do* deal different amounts of damage to different types of protection, which is why the game suggests using shotguns and SMGs against barriers and shields.

I think that ME3 probably has too many guns, but some of the DLC weapons are super fun to play with so :shrug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
For all the guns ME3 has, they do a pretty good job of making them feel distinct.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Alain Post posted:

For all the guns ME3 has, they do a pretty good job of making them feel distinct.

A perfect game would have ME1's art design and soundtrack, ME2's variety, characters, encounters, dialogue, and overall tone, and ME3's weapons and combat refinements.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr E posted:

Does the ME3 DLC ever go on sale on PC? I just need Leviathan and Omega but don't want to pay the current asking price even a little.
It's in BioWare points so no, but because that system is no longer used Origin support can be... rather liberal.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

rypakal posted:

I put whichever gun has the bigger number, and by ME2 you don't even have that so I just randomly choose.

This aint no gear game and paying for extras is weird.

I care more about how gear looks/sounds/feels than how powerful it is personally. It's the same with armour; by ME3 I began ignoring stats/bonuses and just picked what individual pieces I liked the look of most, even if they were weak.

In ME1, when I went back to revisit it recently, I took a completely different approach to my first run years ago where I had just used the most powerful guns/armour regardless of how it looked. Instead I used the ME Wiki to find which gear had my favourite design, which was Ariake Technologies for guns (tan with orangey red stripes) and Elkoss Combine Assassin armour (pale green and dark grey).

On that note I think most of the one-piece armour suits in ME2/3 are quite ugly and tacky, like the Inferno suit and that one Vega wears. I hope they bring back some designs from ME1 for ME4.

psyman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 29, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I want that bright yellow one.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Man screw the Atrium in Grissom Acadamy on Hardcore and Insanity. It was a pain in the butt on lower difficulties, having 3 engineers teleport in behind you and drop 3 turrets in flanking positions with no warning while an atlas launches homing missiles at you is an hour long exercise in pain.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

psyman posted:

I care more about how gear looks/sounds/feels than how powerful it is personally. It's the same with armour; by ME3 I began ignoring stats/bonuses and just picked what individual pieces I liked the look of most, even if they were weak.

In ME1, when I went back to revisit it recently, I took a completely different approach to my first run years ago where I had just used the most powerful guns/armour regardless of how it looked. Instead I used the ME Wiki to find which gear had my favourite design, which was Ariake Technologies for guns (tan with orangey red stripes) and Elkoss Combine Assassin armour (pale green and dark grey).

On that note I think most of the one-piece armour suits in ME2/3 are quite ugly and tacky, like the Inferno suit and that one Vega wears. I hope they bring back some designs from ME1 for ME4.

There are some unique armor/weapon designs you can only get by forcing them in with the console.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's like they wanted to make all the armors not boring, but then didn't. I wonder if it was a polygon count issue for 360? ME1 barely functioned as it was, and those armors look more interesting than everything actually in-game.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Man screw the Atrium in Grissom Acadamy on Hardcore and Insanity. It was a pain in the butt on lower difficulties, having 3 engineers teleport in behind you and drop 3 turrets in flanking positions with no warning while an atlas launches homing missiles at you is an hour long exercise in pain.

You have to get to the highest ground as quickly as you can in both parts, that made it a lot easier for me. But yeah, one of the most challenging fights in the game, I thought.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 29, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or be an infiltrator. I did it without dying on my first try. It got hairy at times, but infiltrator.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Garrus with the Adas is a loving monster. I've been trying to replicate it on James with no success. What does he work best with? I've tried the Striker but he doesn't seem to fire it fast enough. I've got the Typhoon and Particle Rifle, which would work great with Incendiary Ammo, but Shepard and Javik already use those. Are the Crusader and Claymore too much for the A.I. to figure out?

Shame about Ashley's Marksman being bugged; she's on Concussive Shot duty I guess :\

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lycus posted:

You have to get to the highest ground as quickly as you can in both parts, that made it a lot easier for me. But yeah, one of the most challenging fights in the game, I thought.

It's basically a Multiplayer map but with only 3 people, and two of those people have artifically inflated cooldowns and AI that doesn't know how to defend against flanks. If they had thrown it in near the end of the game it wouldn't be that bad but as the 2nd or 3rd level you go to after Mars it's insane. Then you go to Surkesh and they try to play off Turrets as this big bad thing that requires special forethought and you just laugh and laugh and laugh.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

rypakal posted:

e: Explains the ending to people apparently too stupid to pick up what was going on in three games.

Excellent troll. :)

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Excellent troll. :)

Not a troll. It made me very angry. Like fisher price my first plot summary

Like the trial in the X-files finale which summed up the conspiracy arc.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Kurieg posted:

two of those people have artifically inflated cooldowns
Wait, I'm giving Liara and EDI lightweight parts Geth SMGs and Eagle V's for nothing?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not only do your squadmates not have their cooldowns reduced by weight, they also have longer base cooldowns than the player character, usually about twice as long.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kurieg posted:

Best fight in the game imo.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Lycus posted:

Seriously, gently caress that fight

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Grissom atrium fight wasn't too frustrating, though the smoke and poor cover even on the high ground was annoying. I started the game in the mid 30's so I think someone already had chain Overload and Liara had decent Singularity / Warp with quick cooldowns. Once I died a couple times I figured out where everything spawned and in what order. On Insanity I'd probably get angry.

Kurieg posted:

Not only do your squadmates not have their cooldowns reduced by weight, they also have longer base cooldowns than the player character, usually about twice as long.
That's bad news for my Ultralight Materials mods then. I'm playing as a Soldier and I think the best I've been able to manage with three weapons is -192%, though one of them is the Typhoon.

Are there any weapons that are simply too quirky for the A.I. to use? Striker and Claymore seem like they'd be too strange for the A.I. to properly manage rate of fire and cover. Also the Striker seemed like awful poo poo in MP and my Shepard isn't using Cryo ammo.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 29, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Any squadmate that can use sniper rifles will treat them as if they were the Widow. Take a single shot, then reload and reposition. So giving them the Indra or even the Black Widow is a bad idea. Give them a powerful single shot sniper rifle and let them loose.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Grissom is generally a pain in the rear end because even if you import from ME2 your guns are terrible at that point. Like you may as well be throwing hot farts at them. I've yet to NG+ it since with an import and all the DLC you can easily hit 60 in a single playthrough, but that might make it easier.

Still, after playing MP it's pretty much "oh yeah, this is like a gold match whoop-de-do" even on insanity.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I'm with Alain Post. Grissom was one of the best fights in the game, it's up there with the bizzarro vanguard.

Keep in mind y'all are talking in terms of a fight that's too hard in a series full of too-easy fights. Grissom being that hard is a nice change of pace.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shumagorath posted:

Garrus with the Adas is a loving monster. I've been trying to replicate it on James with no success. What does he work best with?

Particle Rifle with incendiary, no matter who else is using it.

if this means you take Javik and James and end up with your squad of 3 all using the PPR, that just means your game is 3 times better.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for the tip off about the DLC sale goons. Have just bought From Ashes and Citadel, so I guess a replay of ME3 will be my next timesink after I finished DAI this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I actually want to buy some loving horse armour for this game because I play these so much but Bioware made it so people with half a brain never will because their points system is loving idiotic and doesn't match reality whatsoever.

• Locked thread