Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tezcat posted:

Actually your the one not making much sense and trying so very hard to strawman. Do you think that there is an issue with White Officers using unneeded lethal force on black people they think are armed with a gun? Yes/No?

Right now we have people as young as 7 being shot dead and the thing that ties them together is "hes/shes reaching for my gun". Likewise you have goons in this very thread that state that having a gun in your hands makes you a target for lethal force despite no hostile actions being taken against the shooter by the victim. This falls right in light with 12 year old being shot dead before they even have a chance to register what happened. And of course we have pretty much every officer saying they were compliant with procedure when they were not after examining video evidence (Rice, Crawford, Walker, Garner).

So I would like you to explain to me and the thread what exactly is your problem with wanting to make sure no one can murder children or anyone else because they claim "they were going for my/their gun/gun-like-object".

Well, I would start with disarming cops (and people in general) rather than trying to train humans to do the impossible (consistently exhibit accurate perception in stressful situations).

But hey, mischaracterize people and advocate for unsustainable approaches if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember that trooper that got busted stealing nudie pics from people he would arrest?

quote:

A now-former California Highway Patrol (CHP) officer who was charged with criminal felony charges after seizing and distributing racy photos copied from arrestees’ phones has pleaded no contest and will serve no jail time.
Sean Harrington’s plea deal, which was finalized on Tuesday, means that he receives a 180-day suspended sentence, three years of felony probation, and according to local media accounts, “must also speak at a community violence solutions class to tell everyone what he did.” Harrington resigned from the CHP last year after the charges were filed.

(http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/01/cop-who-stole-nude-pics-off-arrested-womens-phones-gets-no-jail-time/)

Police defenders might bring up the idea that if he hadn't been a police officer he would have gotten a lighter sentence.Well, if he wasn't a police officer, he probably wouldn't have been able to handcuff someone and steal nudie pics off their phone....

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember that trooper that got busted stealing nudie pics from people he would arrest?

Police defenders might bring up the idea that if he hadn't been a police officer he would have gotten a lighter sentence.Well, if he wasn't a police officer, he probably wouldn't have been able to handcuff someone and steal nudie pics off their phone....

Are you complaining about the plea deal or are you just posting this to strawman "police defenders"

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Jarmak posted:

Are you complaining about the plea deal or are you just posting this to strawman "police defenders"

I don't think any of the "police defenders" in this thread claim that there are no legitimate cases of police misconduct, or that police who are actually guilty of misconduct shouldn't be held accountable so, like you, I don't really get the point of this.

Cop punished for breaking law. Sounds like a win.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ActusRhesus posted:

Cop punished for breaking law. Sounds like a win.

Is it a harsher, similar or lighter sentence then someone who did something similar (besides the lawful arrest part) would get?

If it is similar or harsher (because of the abuse of authority part) then it's a big win.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
http://krqe.com/2015/01/13/da-my-office-kicked-out-of-police-shooting-investigation/

quote:

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) – A top prosecutor for District Attorney Kari Brandenburg’s office was shut out of a briefing after a fatal police shooting near San Mateo and Constitution NE on Tuesday evening, Brandenburg told KRQE News 13.

Police officials and others were gathering to discuss the most recent developments in the investigation a few hours after the shooting, Brandenburg said. Chief Deputy DA Sylvia Martinez attempted to join the briefing, but Deputy City Attorney Kathryn Levy would not let Martinez attend.

What Brandenburg said happened Tuesday evening would be an unprecedented move by city of Albuquerque officials, and it comes a day after Brandenburg charged two APD officers with murder in the March shooting death of homeless camper James Boyd.

Levy invoked the charges in barring Martinez from the briefing, according to Brandenburg.

“Sylvia was told that our office has a conflict of interest because we charged the officers,” she said.

Reached by telephone for comment Tuesday evening, Levy, who has for years worked as APD’s attorney, refused to answer questions.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The police didn't block her from the meeting, the City's own attorney did. It even says it right in the article. This was hashed out earlier in the thread.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't recall saying the police did so, but apologies for a repost.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't recall saying the police did so, but apologies for a repost.

Oh, your looking for the City Attorney reform thread then.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:rolleyes:

Maybe I should be looking for the thin skinned babies thread. It's still related. Or did you chase everyone away last time you hashed it out here too?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 29, 2015

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Maybe I should be looking for the thin skinned babies thread. It's still related. Or did you chase everyone away last time you hashed it out here too?

No, you found it.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Best edit ever. Post more about how you feel about this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ratbert90 posted:

No, you found it.

yep

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

"Diaz said her mother ran out of the house after hearing the shots and was stopped by an officer who grabbed her and tried to calm her down.

"My mom told me to start filming, but when I took out my phone, the cop was like, 'Don't you dare!' " she said.
This is the third time in seven months police have shot suspects whom they accused of using cars as weapons.

A neighbor captured a video of the female suspect being searched by police after she was shot. In the video, the teen is handcuffed and rolled on her stomach and back on the ground, appearing to be searched.

The girl is limp, silent and motionless as officers move her about."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

D&D: mostly just assholes and depressives treating each other like poo poo

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

I feel like the shootings are kind of a sociological thing at this point. As the police, they have a role in enforcing order and maintaining a status quo within their jurisdiction. However, due to the shootings and rampant paranoia, a certain stress has been applied to them, developing an unconscious stigma that makes a violent reaction all the more likely to occur.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

D&D: mostly just assholes and depressives treating each other like poo poo

Or sometimes straight text of news stories treating people like poo poo.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Or sometimes straight text of news stories treating people like poo poo.

The news stories are basically just window dressing for the negative personal interactions y'all keep having.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 29, 2015

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, I've asked this before and people have given the always fantastic ultra-rightwing response of "Go back to France" but, I'll ask again. What purpose do cops serve? Why should I tolerate their existence?

I get that, like the military, they benefit the rich and powerful, so I get why cops exist. Unlike the military, cops occupy the places I live. Why shouldn't they be treated like a hostile, occupying force?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well the original purpose for them was to replace poo poo like local militia's that simply enforce the power of local elites over that of national elites and their interests, but as a side effect it also means that local victims of militia's generally have more of a balanced arena to get themselves not lynched. Of course you have the problem that, once established, the same local elites set themselves and their cronies up in a police force, but that is just one of many different problems with our present conception of policing.

There is also the issue of providing training and skills to people in order to ensure that certain behaviors (arson, burglary etc) are more easily investigated and stopped and providing resources so that larger crimes (murder, rape etc) get investigated properly instead of being simply ignored or pined on some poor bastard who has no-one to vouch for them and/or little to no local pull.

Of course these things are often not treated with due diligence, but that is the reason for a lot of police forces existence.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That's a lot of theory and not much practice.

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not. Hell, rape trauma centers train their workers to protect survivors from cops! So, even in situations where the cop is ostensibly innocent, they are still more likely a source of harm than help.

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Oh, sorry I misunderstood your question!

And I find it rather hard to answer your question, do you mean from a practical stand point? Because from a purely practical stand point it is the same reason one should tolerate an occupying force in warfare "Because they can/will do you harm if you harm them". From a seperate point of view I suppose the answer would be how many crimes they help to deter, cause and help people afterwards. If they are failing in any of those aspects there should be urgent and neccesary reforms.

I am just finding it a bit tricky to answer your question, sorry!

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

So, I've asked this before and people have given the always fantastic ultra-rightwing response of "Go back to France" but, I'll ask again. What purpose do cops serve? Why should I tolerate their existence?

I get that, like the military, they benefit the rich and powerful, so I get why cops exist. Unlike the military, cops occupy the places I live. Why shouldn't they be treated like a hostile, occupying force?

Constabulatory police were developed with the purpose of torturing prostitutes and other un-chaste women. This role has since been expanded to include everyone who wasn't born rich.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Shbobdb posted:

If a stranger is robbing or killing me, that stranger is more likely to have a badge than not. Hell, rape trauma centers train their workers to protect survivors from cops! So, even in situations where the cop is ostensibly innocent, they are still more likely a source of harm than help.

I'm not asking why cops exist originally or in theory. I'm asking why I should tolerate cops. I'm asking what good they actually serve.

Am I to understand that you believe over half of crimes committed to be by police?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Rape trauma centers are concerned about protecting people from cop's insensitivity, not from rampaging rape gangs of policemen.

edit:

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I to understand that you believe over half of crimes committed to be by police?

But speeding tickets and taxes are theft! :goonsay:

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Shbobdb posted:

Have you ever lived in a high crime area?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-public-defender-detained-outside-court-6046088.php

quote:

"A San Francisco deputy public defender was handcuffed and arrested at the Hall of Justice after she objected to city police officers questioning her client outside a courtroom, an incident that her office called outrageous and police officials defended as appropriate.
The Tuesday afternoon arrest of attorney Jami Tillotson as she denied police officers’ attempts to take photos of her client without explanation raised questions about police intimidation and harassment, Public Defender Jeff Adachi said at a Wednesday news conference.
But police said the five officers, led by a plainclothes sergeant, were investigating a burglary case in which Tillotson’s client and his co-defendant were considered persons of interest. Tillotson was cited for misdemeanor resisting or delaying arrest because she obstructed a police investigation, officials said.
“I was arrested for what we do as public defenders every day,” Tillotson said of the encounter, which was captured in a video that the public defender’s office posted on YouTube. “I asked questions. I talked to my client and explained to him his rights. At that point, I was told I was interfering and taken into custody.”"
The video showed Stansbury continuing to take photos of the client and his co-defendant after Tillotson was handcuffed and led away, with Stansbury telling them, “Try not to move.”
Stansbury was one of three officers whose traffic stop of an off-duty black colleague in 2013 led the off-duty officer to file a federal civil rights lawsuit filed against the city. Police officials have said the officers involved had not engaged in racial profiling.
Tillotson was handcuffed to a wall in a holding cell for about an hour while Adachi contacted San Francisco Police Chief Greg Suhr and Deputy Chief Lyn Tomioka."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qhzdxYnwhg

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx
How the gently caress does one even respond to this? Like, the speechless look on her client's face (pretty sure that's the guy on the left, in the blue shirt) just encapsulates it perfectly. "There goes any faith I might have had in the system, being led away in handcuffs because she tried to stop the police from questioning me."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

If nothing else they had to think "how is this going to loving look" and then decided "yeah, this'll look fine"

Seriously, how do you spin that as anything other than being dickish?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

:stare: What the actual gently caress?

"If you don't step aside, I'm going to arrest you for resisting arrest".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

Have you ever lived in a high crime area?

In other words:

quote:

Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you are entitled to.

I think you have the wrong character from A Few Good Men in your avatar.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

In other words:

I think you have the wrong character from A Few Good Men in your avatar.

If you can't see the difference between taking a critical stance and evaluating abuse of power issues within the police force, and operating under the delusion that police aren't necessary at all, I don't know what to say.

Other than please don't threaten to stalk me again. That was creepy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: Shouldn't have bothered.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 29, 2015

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I made a mildly inappropriate comment, took my knocks for it and it's over with. Please don't try to milk it, it was already sad when you did it the first time.

You're an authoritarian whose first response to questioning authority is "you don't know what it's like."

Only when the "question" is something as absurd as "why should the police exist at all?"

Also, your comment sounds a little like victim-blaming, creeper. "Sure, I was inappropriate...but you need to just shut up about it."

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I made a mildly inappropriate comment, took my knocks for it and it's over with. Please don't try to milk it, it was already sad when you did it the first time.

Please get banned, you're so creepy.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Lol is this about the time that SedanChair mocked ActusRhesus for saying "As a Lawyer, ______" for the thousand time and it actually wasn't really that big of a deal?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

joeburz posted:

Lol is this about the time that SedanChair mocked ActusRhesus for saying "As a Lawyer, ______" for the thousand time and it actually wasn't really that big of a deal?

No, it's about the time when he told her he had enough information to identify who she was and where she worked because he was angry at her arguments.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

No, it's about the time when he told her he had enough information to identify who she was and where she worked because he was angry at her arguments.

^This.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Yea, that was the same argument that really wasn't a big deal outside of two minutes because the point was ActusRhesus putting forth tons of information willingly at any moment as some sort of display of their infallible wisdom being a ~lawyer~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Only when the "question" is something as absurd as "why should the police exist at all?"

Also, your comment sounds a little like victim-blaming, creeper. "Sure, I was inappropriate...but you need to just shut up about it."

Well to be fair, the concept of "police" is a relatively new one. The idea of ill paid, ill mannered and "employed by the local gentry" thief-takers isn't but there were large spans of time with a lack of police.

The idea is sound, but it ties into ideas of centralisation that means some police are unaccountable to the most vulnerable and other areas just do not see the police as anything other than a nuisance which they can quietly get on with ignoring.

• Locked thread