Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
So, an interesting thing occurred.

You know how the first blade of Robin's up+B is a down spike? Well...the other day in For Glory I was fighting a Dr. Mario and edge guarding him pretty fiercely. His attempts to return to the edge got very predictable so I decided to just end it and dunk him. Much to my surprise, right as I used my up+B, he used his cape, which caused him to float harmlessly to the edge and me to be spiked, ending the game. I was confused as hell for a moment when the game ended and I saw him dangling from the edge and me exploding at the bottom of the screen.

If he reflects an attack that's shooting down, shouldn't it be reflected...up? I don't know, it just looked extremely strange. The power of the spike must have been amplified by the reflect, because I loving rocketed downward.

I can honestly say that's the first time I've seen a down spike reflected. I never would have guessed that it would work that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why does Ike have so little killing power? I feel like his slow huge flashy forward smash that you'll almost never hit with should be more powerful than another character's fast, easy-to-land forward smash. I switched from Ike to playing random characters I'd never touched before and instantly did better.

forward tilt, up-tilt, every single aerial, and up-smash

and forward smash kills at like 40%, silly

Fhate posted:

You know how the first blade of Robin's up+B is a down spike? Well...the other day in For Glory I was fighting a Dr. Mario and edge guarding him pretty fiercely. His attempts to return to the edge got very predictable so I decided to just end it and dunk him. Much to my surprise, right as I used my up+B, he used his cape, which caused him to float harmlessly to the edge and me to be spiked, ending the game. I was confused as hell for a moment when the game ended and I saw him dangling from the edge and me exploding at the bottom of the screen.

If he reflects an attack that's shooting down, shouldn't it be reflected...up? I don't know, it just looked extremely strange. The power of the spike must have been amplified by the reflect, because I loving rocketed downward.

I can honestly say that's the first time I've seen a down spike reflected. I never would have guessed that it would work that way.

I've had this happen with pit's reflector and pikachu's thunder spike; the bolt just went right through him and killed me

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 28, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Smash 3ds has sold 6.19 million units so far.

The Wii U version has sold 3.39 million.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Do "units" include digital downloads?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Maple Leaf posted:

Do "units" include digital downloads?

You tell me.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That's kind of interesting, though even taking into account the 3DS's comparatively huge install base it has a 1-2 month sales lead depending on region.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ruggington posted:

forward tilt, up-tilt, every single aerial, and up-smash

and forward smash kills at like 40%, silly
Yeah, I found out later that Ike hits less hard at the tip of his sword, which seems to be what happened.They flew to the edge of the map but didn't quite die, so I think that was the problem.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Smash 3ds has sold 6.19 million units so far.

The Wii U version has sold 3.39 million.

I'm surprised Nintendo has sold 3.39 million Wii U's.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
They have in fact sold something like 9.2 million Wii U's. So that's like... 1/3 of all Wii U owners own Smash Bros for Wii U.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anidav posted:

*checks tournament videos*

It was all Diddy.

I'm so happy

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Wild Knight posted:

They have in fact sold something like 9.2 million Wii U's. So that's like... 1/3 of all Wii U owners own Smash Bros for Wii U.

Now all we have to do is convince those resisting other 2/3s.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Kurtofan posted:

I'm so happy

I'm not...

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Am I the only one who finds For Glory super boring?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Play more captain falcon

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Uroboros posted:

Am I the only one who finds For Glory super boring?

It's boring. I dislike fighting without the platforming aspects. Movement is so much less interesting.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Can anyone suggest any videos with a good Rosalina? I'd also take a good ZSS. For what it's worth, I've generally liked the VGBootCamp stuff because it's watchable and the commentary has been decent with less SQUEALING when something interesting happens, but really anywhere is good. Part of the problem is I don't know which ones are good and which ones are just against bad opponents or whatever since I am a casual despite playing this since Melee.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

shortspecialbus posted:

Can anyone suggest any videos with a good Rosalina? I'd also take a good ZSS. For what it's worth, I've generally liked the VGBootCamp stuff because it's watchable and the commentary has been decent with less SQUEALING when something interesting happens, but really anywhere is good. Part of the problem is I don't know which ones are good and which ones are just against bad opponents or whatever since I am a casual despite playing this since Melee.

http://youtu.be/a0TSnKWAauo

Kind of a boring set of games though.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

messagemode1 posted:

http://youtu.be/a0TSnKWAauo

Kind of a boring set of games though.

It's interesting. I'm not learning all that much about using Luma for spacing or what to do with Luma at all really - As far as I can tell, aside from Blasting Luma at someone, Once luma is off away from Rosalina, it's kinda useless and I don't know how to make it do anything aside from call it back right away. I think I just don't understand the mechanic.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Fhate posted:

This is something I've noticed with other things too. The "reflected" physics for vertical projectiles isn't super consistent. For example, if you're Mega Man, and launch an up air at a Fox who reflects it, the tornado comes straight back down, like you expect it would, but if you use a reflector on Olimar's up smash, the Pikmin completes its "arc" of going up and back down as normal, but suddenly the hitbox hurts you, so you seemingly take damage and knockback from nothing.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

It's boring. I dislike fighting without the platforming aspects. Movement is so much less interesting.

it's more than that. just being unable to talk to your opponent sucks because you can never ask any questions, and people often leave after a single match so you don't get to see people try to adapt.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

sharrrk posted:

it's more than that. just being unable to talk to your opponent sucks because you can never ask any questions, and people often leave after a single match so you don't get to see people try to adapt.

I agree with that too. I played 5 player matches this weekend with a group of friends, and the other guy who actually plays the game a lot got really salty because I kept going after him. His butt-hurt amused me and it amused our less-practiced friends since it actually gave them a chance to win matches without having to turn on items or change their behavior in any way since the 2 best players kept taking so much out of each other early. It was easily the most fun I have had playing Smash 4.

A big part of what made me decent at Smash back in the Melee days was playing with a couple of guys 1 on 1 a lot who were interested in having conversations about what was happening in matches. Nothing will help you understand an opponent better.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Yeah Nintendo's fear of kids being assaulted over the internet makes interaction really hard. You can't even invite your own friends to a game when they're online, what the heck.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I get hella salty over smash bros and would absolutely ruin some kids' days so I can't blame Nintendo.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Apparently Nintendo's sold 5.7 million amiibo.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man that one guy must really hate Rosalina

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The mario series amiibo are available for preorder on Amazon now, if anyone wanted to get those instead of the Smash series ones.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
I want a Satan amiibo, so I can load Satan into all of my favorite nintendo games. I mean, Mario is basically Satan, but I want one of him in his true form, what with the tail and the horns and the bad-rear end goat guitar, etc.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

Do you actually like Rosalina and ZSS

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

shortspecialbus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrAsEdAudy4

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Banning Diddy would save the competitive scene.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
just like how banning Meta Knight saved brawl and made it a competitive game

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I'm surprised Nintendo has sold 3.39 million Wii U's.

Thanks for the worthless post!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sudo Echo posted:

Man that one guy must really hate Rosalina

Someone should break into that guy's house at night and rearrange all those Rosalinas so they form a circle around his bed.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Fhate posted:

I want a Satan amiibo, so I can load Satan into all of my favorite nintendo games. I mean, Mario is basically Satan, but I want one of him in his true form, what with the tail and the horns and the bad-rear end goat guitar, etc.

Don't worry the a Robin Amiibo will be released in a few months.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

mabels big day posted:

Do you actually like Rosalina and ZSS

Why wouldn't someone like them? They're fun.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheKingofSprings posted:

This is surprising, but some people just have to have all of them. Last night I was at my friend's place for a small party and there was Smash going on, some neckbearded goon got invited and he brought a circular lunch sack with him and in it were 8~ amiibos. Each of them were level 50 and the two that he used (Mario and Peach) were named "Ronin" and "Hime" respectively. He wore a lanyard around his neck which seemed to be his "everyday carry" because hung from it were his keys and hit wallet (what the gently caress). He also didn't talk with anyone that night, just sat on the couch and played Smash the whole time.

Austrian mook posted:

Thanks for the worthless post!

That twisted the knife didn't it?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TenaciousJ posted:

Why wouldn't someone like them? They're fun.

People should play characters in smash because they like them outside of smash, not because they think they're good. And I don't think most people who play Rosalina or ZSS actually like or appreciate their characters outside of smash, mostly because they don't have much likeability outside of smash. That's why I ask

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

rosalina and zss are very powerful and fearsome, both inside smash and outside smash. it is no surprise that someone would like them.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mabels big day posted:

People should play characters in smash because they like them outside of smash

This is false

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

At the very least, appreciation of the character is required. smash is first and foremost a celebration of Nintendo, and to play a random character you don't even know is to disrespect that character and franchise.

• Locked thread