Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Has Incred A Brew been posted yet? It's a CCD knockoff, except with integrated lid and reusable screen instead of a filter

http://www.amazon.com/IAB109-Incred-Brew-Direct-Immersion-Brewing/dp/B00935GWRS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
There are a lot of similar coffee and tea brewers on the market (e.g. HandyBrew and BREWT). The CCD and Bonavita porcelain take standard paper filters and will give you a much cleaner cup if that's your thing.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

becoming posted:

Which did you get? I'm thinking about getting the biggest Frieling (44 ounces, I think), as - and I know this sounds silly - I pretty regularly want to make more than the ~30 ounces I can currently get out of my 8-cup Frieling.
I found a Frieling 20oz on sale on a whim, even though I had a couple cheap ones already. Now, I literally will not buy any other french press than a Frieling one for the rest of my life. The stainless steel and insulated walls and the thing could take out a home intruder as a weapon, hell yes.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Miko posted:

I found a Frieling 20oz on sale on a whim, even though I had a couple cheap ones already. Now, I literally will not buy any other french press than a Frieling one for the rest of my life. The stainless steel and insulated walls and the thing could take out a home intruder as a weapon, hell yes.

What did you pay and where did you get it? I'm gonna get one for a friend as a gift, and if I can save some dollars...

I love my Frieling press. I will go ahead and say that the Espro does a fantastic job filtering fines, and I really like their user-friendly inner markings for water (so I don't need to brew on a scale and can just put it directly under my hot water dispenser), but I prefer the Frieling. I like that the lid is insulated, I like the spout better, and it's all metal so I'm not as concerned about needing to replace parts on it (it's a given that my Espro baskets will eventually wear out; I hope the company is still in business when they do).

It would be enormous but I'd really like a 1.5L Frieling press, similar in size to the largest Chambord. If I could get four 12-oz servings out of it, I'd consider that enough. I frequently make coffee for four and you know how we Americans are, 8-oz doesn't even count as having a coffee.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
I recently found myself with 3 different beans lying around at home that I had purchased over the holiday break. An ethopian a rwandan and a columbian, all city roast. Columbian was my least favorite. I made an aeropress with a mixture of all 3 and it was. ...surprisingly tasty. Enjoyed it more than the Columbian on its own. Is this generally considered a waste / a no-no or do people blend beans at home?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

I recently found myself with 3 different beans lying around at home that I had purchased over the holiday break. An ethopian a rwandan and a columbian, all city roast. Columbian was my least favorite. I made an aeropress with a mixture of all 3 and it was. ...surprisingly tasty. Enjoyed it more than the Columbian on its own. Is this generally considered a waste / a no-no or do people blend beans at home?

I dunno, do you make soup with only one ingredient?

Also, so happy I went with the stainless infinity. It feels a lot more solid, is a lot quieter, and the parts fit better than the plastic one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I dunno, do you make soup with only one ingredient?
Thats a bad metaphor, its more like "do you mix 3 different soups together?"

But not really. Mix all of the coffees.

Miko
May 20, 2001

becoming posted:

What did you pay and where did you get it? I'm gonna get one for a friend as a gift, and if I can save some dollars...
They're pricey almost everywhere, until i saw a David's Tea clearing out their coffee section. $26 for a 20oz one :D

Also, I am onto my second hand grinder and third coffee making apparatus (v60). Not being able to roast in winter bums me out.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Some do, some don't. Blends can work as you have seen.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Miko posted:

Not being able to roast in winter bums me out.

Get a whirley pop! It works great indoors because all the chaff stays inside the device, and as long as your kitchen is relatively easy to ventilate (i.e., it has windows and/or a hood with a vent above the stove), the smoke shouldn't be a big problem. I recently got my whirley pop just because of the weather but now it's become my favorite roasting method regardless of the weather.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I got the small size CCD for Christmas and am enjoying the quality of the coffee I'm making compared to the $20 Mr Coffee Dripper I got when I was outfitting my apartment and didn't want to spend too much, but the size of the cup was killing me. It's fine for weekends and making a cup before work, but I didn't like bringing maybe half a thermos to work. So I just gave in and ordered the large size for weekdays.

And with that I've spent all ~130 of my holiday Amazon gift cards on coffee equipment.

remember
Nov 23, 2006
If I make cold brew using becoming's recipe, can I filter it using Melita filters, or should I use Chemex, or somehow use my Aeropress? Also do I need to take it out right around 12 hours and filter or can it sit longer with the beans inside the water?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

wangvicous posted:

If I make cold brew using becoming's recipe, can I filter it using Melita filters, or should I use Chemex, or somehow use my Aeropress? Also do I need to take it out right around 12 hours and filter or can it sit longer with the beans inside the water?

I usually let mine go for 24 hours and that Melitta filter will be fine.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

wangvicous posted:

I usually go through Melitta #6 filters, so yeah, I would say Melitta would be fine. I pull at twelve hours but you can play around with time and temperature; I know a lot of folks like to go twenty-four hours and steep it in the fridge. I do room temperature and twelve. Whatever tastes good to you! One of the nice things about cold brew is that the cold water radically slows the extraction, so if it sits for a few extra hours, it's probably not going to be a big deal. I'm sure you could over-extract cold brewing but I've never done it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
edit: n/m

withak fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 24, 2015

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Do bleached filters have less paper taste than non-bleached? I got a CCD recently and the paper taste is pretty noticeable, even after rinsing. I'm thinking it might be the kind of filter I'm using.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

HappyHippo posted:

Do bleached filters have less paper taste than non-bleached? I got a CCD recently and the paper taste is pretty noticeable, even after rinsing. I'm thinking it might be the kind of filter I'm using.

Yes. Brown paper filters make your coffee taste like you're eating a paper bag; white paper filters let your coffee taste like coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

HappyHippo posted:

I use Bonmac bamboo filters. 0 taste and also recommended by Blue Bottle and Sweet Maria's.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah that was a fun discovery. The advertising for the brown ones is "NO CHEMICAL TASTE FROM BLEACHING" but unless you use about twice as much water on the rinse it'll taste like paper.

Blech.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Yeah I just went out and got some white ones. Tastes better and they were cheaper! Now to think of something to do with those 76 useless brown filters...

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The unbleached hario v60 filters also have no taste.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I read somewhere about scooping the foam off the top of my french press after stirring in my bloom, and it was amazingly smooth coffee the first time I tried it.

Does anyone else do that?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

So I am just about ready to go into V60 kingdom. I've done french press and CCD and I'm still not satisfied. All the best cups I've had have been from the V60 because I love the brightness and flavor clarity in the cups.

I'm gonna get the whole rig next month, but quick question -- when I pour the water to immerse the beans, I've read a couple sites that say to pour water in the center of the beans and never on the filter, but when I see people make killer pour-overs for me in various coffee shops, they pour water around the filter. What is the best way to pour?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I read somewhere about scooping the foam off the top of my french press after stirring in my bloom, and it was amazingly smooth coffee the first time I tried it.

Does anyone else do that?

I remember jimseven wrote about it, and after trying it way back when that's what I usually do if I make a press pot anymore.

M42 posted:

The unbleached hario v60 filters also have no taste.

They definitely do have a taste, but if you rinse it's not too bad, and they're better than any other unbleached filter I've tried.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
I just installed the Auber PID with steam control into my Gaggia Classic. What a difference! Highly recommended. Install was fun, too!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Alright everyone -- I need the cheapest place to get a V60 setup.

I want the stand/scale/temp-reading gooseneck included. I've been putting things together on Amazon, but wondering if there's some cheap deal somewhere you guys know about that I do not?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm up and running with the Bonavita 1900ts and capresso infinity. Makes a tasty cup of coffee. Thanks again for the help.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What's the consensus press grind size on a Capresso Infinity? 12-14?

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm gonna get the whole rig next month, but quick question -- when I pour the water to immerse the beans, I've read a couple sites that say to pour water in the center of the beans and never on the filter, but when I see people make killer pour-overs for me in various coffee shops, they pour water around the filter. What is the best way to pour?

They're trying to make it so that you don't create a channel between the coffee and the filter that lets water drain too quickly. Because of the conical shape, if you gently pour into the center you end up with a stopper of sorts of ground coffee that your water will filter through. I find that the more gently you pour with the V60 the better the coffee comes out, especially at first as it's very easy to pour through your coffee as it off-gases despite wetting the grinds to get the initial bloom.

I'd strongly encourage you to pick up a cheap plastic Melitta cone and do some side by side taste tests. The Melitta drains more evenly and slowly and is less impacted by pour style because of the smaller holes. I prefer the Hario when I do it right, but for some coffees, particularly when you want more body, I think the Melitta works better.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I've decided that I want to start getting into home roasting. I'm curious about green bean storage though. Is there anything I should keep in mind when storing beans? Are there any bug issues or mold issues?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The_Rob posted:

So I've decided that I want to start getting into home roasting. I'm curious about green bean storage though. Is there anything I should keep in mind when storing beans? Are there any bug issues or mold issues?

Not much, just keep them in something air tight. I have a big lock and lock container that holds about 12 one pound bags that I keep everything in.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
You guys got any advice for cold-brewing coffee ratios and brewing time? The only crap I've seen on the internet suggests 8oz coffee to 36 oz water, which is a ridiculous amount of coffee and I'd hate to invest in something like a toddy when the basic idea seems to be to put grounds and water together and let them sit at room temperature.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

You guys got any advice for cold-brewing coffee ratios and brewing time? The only crap I've seen on the internet suggests 8oz coffee to 36 oz water, which is a ridiculous amount of coffee and I'd hate to invest in something like a toddy when the basic idea seems to be to put grounds and water together and let them sit at room temperature.

A. You don't need a Toddy. You just need a jar or some sort to put the mixture in and a way to filter it. You could accomplish this with any container in your house and a $3 plastic pourover cone and filter.
B. That ratio is the most common recommendation. The part you're missing out on though is that it's making a concentrated coffee that's intended to be diluted with equal parts water or milk. That 36oz of concentrate will make about twice that in regular coffee.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
All you need is:
- jar (I use a mason quart)
- any lovely grinder, even a blade grinder
- funnel (I use an Oxo funnel, it's a close shape to hario v60 filters, but you can use a Clever Dripper or pourover)
- filters
- maybe a strainer for the large grounds

That's it!

The recipe I started with was 3oz grounds in a pint of water for 24 hours, which then gets strained, filtered and then diluted to a quart of coffee.

Lately I've been doing 3oz grounds in a quart of water to get more extraction. I'm concerned I might have been acclimating myself to harsher coffee so I'm going to switch back to 3oz in a pint to see if it's different.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 29, 2015

Miko
May 20, 2001

Handgrinding for espresso? A fool's errand? Or just fine w the correct amount of elbow grease

I have a hario skerton and a porlex mini mill and have been waiting to upgrade to an espresso machine (CC1 or Silvia). Will thrse two hand grinders let me down, or should I stay the course?

I want to put off needing a Preciso if possible. I'm a solo coffee drinker, so mashing beans by hand isn't a huge deal to me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Lately I've been doing 3oz grounds in a quart of coffee to get more extraction. I'm concerned I might have been acclimating myself to harsher coffee so I'm going to switch back to 3oz in a pint to see if it's different.

Wait so you take the last quart you made and then add more grounds to it?

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Dr Cheeto posted:

Here's a cold brew method that a lot of us have used, to very good success. The short of it is: grind some beans, weigh them, and then put eight times that weight in water in a jar with the beans, let it sit twelve hours at room temperature, filter it, and mix 1:1 with milk or cold water.

If you want a pint of end product, try 30g beans, 240g water.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Excellent posts, guys, thanks for the help

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
What's the correct way to bloom my grounds in a clever coffee dripper?

Every time I try to gently push the grounds around in a little bit of water in the bottom of the filter, the filter ends up tearing and I end up with grounds in my cup.

If I don't probe around in there, the grounds won't get evenly dampened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Wait so you take the last quart you made and then add more grounds to it?

:argh: