Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Otisburg posted:

quick reminder that the think tank members who worked on the sun crusher and death star were assured and accepted that they would be used for strictly civilian applications

at least one of them was surprised and appalled that the devices she built to destroy planets and solar systems were being used in a military/terror capacity

List of things they developed:

Gun that created microfractures in metal
Death Star
World Devastators (that eat planets and turn the raw materials into more weapons)
Sun Crusher (invulnerable ship that fires torpedoes that make stars go nova)

YES THESE WILL ALL BE PUT TO GOOD NON MILITARY USE BY THE TYRANNIC GOVERNMENT THAT MADE IT'S FIRST ACTS TO MURDER CHILDREN AND BUILD STAR DESTROYERS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
So Star Destroyers can't destroy stars?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

freethought posted:

Shaq doesn't live in a shack?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

freethought posted:

There's probably 37 wikipedia articles about why they're called Star Destroyers. All of them involve force sensitive star destroyers stealing the death star plans.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Fil5000 posted:

There's probably 37 wikipedia articles about why they're called Star Destroyers. All of them involve force sensitive star destroyers stealing the death star plans.

Is that George Lucas' original idea or did they just come up with it after the fact?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Everyone in the Maw was autistic as gently caress. Much like the people reading about them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Apthous posted:

Is that George Lucas' original idea or did they just come up with it after the fact?

Is it even worth caring any more? 99% of everything Star Wars after 1983 is pretty garbage.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Fil5000 posted:

Is it even worth caring any more? 99% of everything Star Wars after 1983 is pretty garbage.

James Blunt recorded one of his songs in Princess Leia's bathroom, I consider that pretty not garbage.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Radio dramas fuckin ruled

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

I would have just gone with Space Battleship. But then I don't own a thesaurus.

George Lucas constantly posted:

laser sword

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I had a real "aha" moment when I thought "oh poo poo, they're not called Star Destroyers because they destroy stars, they're called that because they're destroyers in space!"

Then I looked it up and Wookiepedia told me I was wrong :saddowns:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
if you want to destroy a planet, flying a destroyer into it seems a lot cheaper than building death stars.

probably not in line with the tarkin doctrine tho

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I had a real "aha" moment when I thought "oh poo poo, they're not called Star Destroyers because they destroy stars, they're called that because they're destroyers in space!"

I assure you it's Wookiepedia that's wrong. So very, very wrong.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Apthous posted:

James Blunt recorded one of his songs in Princess Leia's bathroom, I consider that pretty not garbage.

Fetus Tree posted:

Radio dramas fuckin ruled

There's your one percent. STATISTICAL CLAIM VERIFIED

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fil5000 posted:

List of things they developed:

Gun that created microfractures in metal
Death Star
World Devastators (that eat planets and turn the raw materials into more weapons)
Sun Crusher (invulnerable ship that fires torpedoes that make stars go nova)

YES THESE WILL ALL BE PUT TO GOOD NON MILITARY USE BY THE TYRANNIC GOVERNMENT THAT MADE IT'S FIRST ACTS TO MURDER CHILDREN AND BUILD STAR DESTROYERS.

So it's Star Wars meets Danger! Death Ray! All that's missing is the toy sub in Timmy's bathtub. :v:

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Fetus Tree posted:

if you want to destroy a planet, flying a destroyer into it seems a lot cheaper than building death stars.

probably not in line with the tarkin doctrine tho

Actually... let me introduce you to the concept of BASE DELTA ZERO

quote:

It denoted the most severe of several levels of destruction that could be directed against a center of resistance, and involved laying waste to an entire planet by orbital bombardment, reducing the upper crust of a planet to molten slag or in some cases, atomize the planet's top-soil.

So, they pretty much COULD already destroy a planet with their many star destroyers. So really, the deathstar was just one big fat symbol of terror that could just take it a step further and blow up the planet.

Jace Madan fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 28, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Or just put rockets on an asteroid and crash it into the planet, that'd work too.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I thought it was reasonable enough that if you had a fleet of star destroyers and had it pummel a planet for a while you could pretty much destroy anything, but:

Wookieepedia posted:

... could be executed by a single Star Destroyer in less than a day.
So the Death Star was a big useless boondoggle, and in fact any Star Destroyer could promptly destroy any world to keep the local systems in line.

freethought
Feb 24, 2011
Who the gently caress destroys their enemies' whole planet anyway. Kill all the men sure, maybe the children if they're a particularly obstreperous bunch. But why waste all those women and minerals? Plus Alderaan looked pretty drat sweet, you could turn it into the SW equivalent of the sex planet where Riker always went.

She even said they had no weapons. Just blow up all their loving moons, it'll scare the poo poo out of them and as a bonus get rid of all those pesky locals in the coastal areas to make way for your new space resort, Club Jed(i)

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Also did you know that Tatooine was not always a big desert?

quote:

Tatooine was once a lush world that had large oceans and a world-spanning jungle inhabited by the native and technologically advanced Kumumgah. Against the elder's wishes they colonized nearby star systems but this drew the attention of the Rakata. In 25,783 BBY, the Rakatan Infinite Empire invaded the planet, conquered and enslaved its native inhabitants and then abducted many to their other conquered worlds. After a terrible plague weakened the Rakata, the Kumumgah eventually rebelled and managed to drive the Rakata off the planet. In response they subjected the planet to an orbital bombardment that "glassed" (that is, fused the silica in the soil into glass, which then broke up over time into sand) the planet and boiled its oceans away.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I figured the twi'lek planet would be Rikerville since they are the designated stripper race of the star wars universe.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

freethought posted:

Who the gently caress destroys their enemies' whole planet anyway. Kill all the men sure, maybe the children if they're a particularly obstreperous bunch. But why waste all those women and minerals? Plus Alderaan looked pretty drat sweet, you could turn it into the SW equivalent of the sex planet where Riker always went.

She even said they had no weapons. Just blow up all their loving moons, it'll scare the poo poo out of them and as a bonus get rid of all those pesky locals in the coastal areas to make way for your new space resort, Club Jed(i)

those moons are force sensitive

Jace Madan posted:

Also did you know that Tatooine was not always a big desert?

halo.txt

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress Tatooine.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I had this moment a few weeks ago playing Empire at War, I was looking at frigates and stuff and was like oh gently caress, one of my favorite things in science fiction is actually lazily named as gently caress. And if they had kept going with the idea would be beyond cheesy.

"Make sure you secure your star safety vest because the star airplane trip could get a bit star choppy"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Lord of Pie posted:

I figured the twi'lek planet would be Rikerville since they are the designated stripper race of the star wars universe.

Actually the EU has a more advanced stripper race that can eat whatever it wants and not get fat, projecting pheromones that make them extra fuckable plus they're extremely gullible... but also mildly telepathic. They created Hologram Fun World which Han and Leia considered getting married at but didn't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hologram_Fun_World

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zeltron

Pretty enthusiastic about whatever they're doing in life though.

"We're gonna tailor the gently caress out of this dress!"

"Is that the predator? I loving love that guy!"

"A hutt? Why the hell not!"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
lmao

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

oohhboy posted:

gently caress Tatooine.

gently caress you, dude.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The Death Star is basicly the F-35.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Actually the EU has a more advanced stripper race that can eat whatever it wants and not get fat, projecting pheromones that make them extra fuckable plus they're extremely gullible... but also mildly telepathic. They created Hologram Fun World which Han and Leia considered getting married at but didn't.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hologram_Fun_World

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zeltron

Pretty enthusiastic about whatever they're doing in life though.

"We're gonna tailor the gently caress out of this dress!"

"Is that the predator? I loving love that guy!"

"A hutt? Why the hell not!"

a star wars hot babe race that is super gullible and has two livers for getting super drunk, how are they not called bimbonians or something more befitting the EU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

quote:

Another difference between Zeltrons and Humans was the presence of a second liver, which allowed Zeltrons to enjoy a larger number of alcoholic beverages than other humanoids.

I'm really getting stuck trying to figure out how Darwin would explain this one, "well you see they are constantly being challenged to shot contests, after 2 million years of beer pong, shot races, and iron man challenges they began to evolve an extra liver" I think it's mostly the bad wording from wookiepedia because it seems to be implying the reason for the liver was to drink more, not the other way around.

Also telepathic and gullible really shouldn't be in a sentence together, if you can read minds or intuit thoughts you're likely good at spotting liars.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 29, 2015

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The Death Star is basicly the F-35.

it sorta makes sense. if it takes a day for a star destroyer to blow up a planet, that's a lot of defense it has to put up to kill potential defenses put up by the planet. Death Star can do it in one shot and hold way more troops for defending it

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

freethought posted:

In KOTOR 2 they showed a planet that had been glassed, and was being restored by some kind of terraforming.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Every planet in the star wars universe seems to be able to support humanoid life no prob, so blowing up a perfectly good planet is no big deal.

Who needs Alderaan when we can live on Hoth or Lava Hellhole Planet

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Where the metal bikinis at?

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

it sorta makes sense. if it takes a day for a star destroyer to blow up a planet, that's a lot of defense it has to put up to kill potential defenses put up by the planet. Death Star can do it in one shot and hold way more troops for defending it
So it's really the Manhattan Project instead of firebombing.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In KOTOR 2 they showed a planet that had been glassed, and was being restored by some kind of terraforming.

that's been a pretty fun game that i've been playing by recommendation by this thread, thanks guys

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Weird BIAS posted:

that's been a pretty fun game that i've been playing by recommendation by this thread, thanks guys

Hope you're playing it with the restored content mod!

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
i read this thread, i think you know i am

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Hope you're playing it with the restored content mod!

I tried it but they didn't add the "slap Kreia for being such an insufferable bitch" dialogue option I was hoping for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
there's no specific thing as i've never read any of this poo poo. basically what makes me cringe is that such a thing as a star wars EU exists in the capacity it does and that so many ppl obsess over it

• Locked thread