Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

That's the one they nail you with here in the Phoenix area, and it's a nasty ticket too.

Yup, you get your day in court for that one. :smith::hf::smith:

I have never been so glad to have traction control and a quiet exhaust as I was after getting that ticket marked down.

nitrogen posted:

I once got a " waste of finite resources" ticket when I was in Arizona doing 80 in a 55. The cop pretty much let me know that that ticket is a "gimme" kind of a warning ticket instead of getting one for speeding or reckless driving. Or at least that's why I got that ticket.

They've been using that ticket as that level of punishment ever since double-nickel federal speed limit, maybe earlier. My old man once got a ticket like that when he was young and stupid in a F-body of some sort and the fine was a pitifully small amount, even at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

PA state troopers seem to like to give out "failure to obey traffic control devices" as the no-points ticket here. I got one once and it was only like a 100 fine or so.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

you ate my cat posted:

PA state troopers seem to like to give out "failure to obey traffic control devices" as the no-points ticket here. I got one once and it was only like a 100 fine or so.

I got that once. 80 in a 55, no points. Nice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

you ate my cat posted:

Is that a different violation in PA? Here (OH) "failure to obey traffic control device" means you ran a red light or stop sign and is very much a moving violation with points assigned, and is the same fine as a speeding ticket for 15 MPH or less over the limit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
In NY, at least a couple years ago, a trooper used it to give me a ticket that would hopefully teach me a lesson, but without loving up my insurance rates since it wouldn't transfer to my mass driving record, because I saw him just as he put down his radar gun in the median and was literally in the breakdown lane, engine off, keys on the dash, lights off, interior lights on, window down, hands at 10 and 2, foot not on the brake, in park, with my license/registration out before he even managed to pull out into traffic. 85 in a 65 turned into "failure to observe TCD", insurance rates never went up, and I gladly paid the fine.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Once I missed the interchange going going from I-91 to I-89 and decided to use the services vehicle lane to pull a U-turn, only to see a trooper sitting on the shoulder behind me. I pulled directly to the shoulder and turned my engine off and waited for him to drive up to me.

When he got to my window, he chuckled, wrote me a non-fine warning and told me to have a nice day and drive safely.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just went out to run a few errands. On my way home I'm approaching a red light I need to take a right at. There's a guy in a blue Accord coupe waiting to turn left. The light turns green just as I'm about to stop before turning so I just make my turn... and hear him peel out to try and turn left across my lane faster than I can complete the right turn I'm already in the middle of.

He almost completely broadsided me, and the skinny little blonde in his passenger seat is simultaneously attempting to curl into the fetal position and flailing at his face repeatedly. I sped up and went half onto the shoulder as soon as I saw him about to hit me so I got around in front of him relatively easily before he was completely in the spot my car had just been since I had the "was already moving" advantage if not the power advantage.

Naturally his response is to lay on the horn and tailgate me with his highs on until he turned off a few miles later.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

:ussr:

But seriously, that is great. A+ for those stickers that dont come off easily.

There are a *bunch* of these videos.

They have changed the stickers. They used to be made of mylar or something similar, as the motorists were able to remove them with a single swipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBsVy-6SR4&t=61s

I realize there's a lot of judicious editing involved, but some of these Russian guys go from zero to murderdeathkill in a blink.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

:stare:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

What am I missing in this photo? It looks like some cars at an intersection to me...

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

What am I missing in this photo? It looks like some cars at an intersection to me...

Windshield. Snow.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PCOS Bill posted:

Windshield. Snow.

It looks like there's snow where the wipers haven't cleared it away, but I don't think the rest of it is snow. It looks like glare or something. If it is snow, that's very bad, but otherwise that's basically par for the course around here (not that that makes it right, of course).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

buttcrackmenace posted:

There are a *bunch* of these videos.

They have changed the stickers. They used to be made of mylar or something similar, as the motorists were able to remove them with a single swipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBsVy-6SR4&t=61s

I realize there's a lot of judicious editing involved, but some of these Russian guys go from zero to murderdeathkill in a blink.

I can't believe that dude actually ran into that kid multiple times. Glad to see him get plopped into the police car at the end. That would certainly be assault with a deadly weapon at the least if it happened here.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

PT6A posted:

It looks like there's snow where the wipers haven't cleared it away, but I don't think the rest of it is snow. It looks like glare or something. If it is snow, that's very bad, but otherwise that's basically par for the course around here (not that that makes it right, of course).

I saw the wipers go over it a few times, it was frozen to the windshield only leaving the 6-8" at the top to see through. The best part is that it was pretty much the only snow on the truck.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

I saw the wipers go over it a few times, it was frozen to the windshield only leaving the 6-8" at the top to see through. The best part is that it was pretty much the only snow on the truck.

Okay, that's pretty bad then.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Locator posted:

I can't believe that dude actually ran into that kid multiple times. Glad to see him get plopped into the police car at the end. That would certainly be assault with a deadly weapon at the least if it happened here.

What I'm wondering is why hasn't the government smartened up and put bollards in the middle of those sidewalks. Getting your car hosed beyond belief by one of these is the best behavioral modification tool money can buy.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Stop a Douchebag is the best thing I've seen on youtube in forever. I'm amazed I haven't seen someone die yet.

I'm also amazed by the amount of passers-bys that get involved. "I will bury you in this car"

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes, my reaction was pretty much "uh, I'm pretty sure many Russian drivers regularly travel with Kalashnikovs in their cars, it's only a matter of ti....ah, there we go." :stare:

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

Yes, my reaction was pretty much "uh, I'm pretty sure many Russian drivers regularly travel with Kalashnikovs in their cars, it's only a matter of ti....ah, there we go." :stare:

Except the guy with the AK in this one is on their side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1jGNd4Deys

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk
I appreciate we all have to be somewhere and I'll give truckers room, the ecoline was doing everything she could to keep it straight, but passing on double yellows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nzZ3pwheyM

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
People that cut way into my lane when they are making a left turn.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Crossposting from the D&D pictures thread:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wolfsbane posted:

Holy poo poo. Please tell me that that letter is causing an appropriate shitstorm. It is, right? Right?

I'm sure it's not.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Wolfsbane posted:

Yup, police departments are totally not profit oriented. It's all about public safety, that's why we setup speed traps.

Here's more people we share the road with, found on imgur.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Last night I encountered the worst ebay hids I've ever seen. They were on a Lightning, pink in color, and they managed to be blinding from the side; I had to shield my eyes at a stoplight when the nose of the truck was even with my face.

Also had to use the sheep pass technique to get past someone who was doing 41 in a 45. Car in my lane was slow too, car to the left was leaving a gap but subconsciously matching my speed every time I went to pass and closing the gap. So I gradually slowed to like 35, naturally they slowed down with me, then I gunned it through before they could speed back up again. WHY DOES THIS WORK?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Last night I encountered the worst ebay hids I've ever seen. They were on a Lightning, pink in color, and they managed to be blinding from the side; I had to shield my eyes at a stoplight when the nose of the truck was even with my face.

Also had to use the sheep pass technique to get past someone who was doing 41 in a 45. Car in my lane was slow too, car to the left was leaving a gap but subconsciously matching my speed every time I went to pass and closing the gap. So I gradually slowed to like 35, naturally they slowed down with me, then I gunned it through before they could speed back up again. WHY DOES THIS WORK?

It's because they're scared of actually driving beside someone, and scared of not having the entire road to themselves in front. It's also, I'm convinced, why so many people like to hang in the left-hand lane even as they're going slow. There appears to be a huge quantity of drivers that are completely terrified of actually driving their automobile in normal traffic.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Speed-matching next to you or in your blind spot is usually people who are zoned-out on autopilot or who barely have enough remaining cognitive command to operate a car. Same reason baby ducklings travel in a pack tight on their mother duck. I give leeway to moms with vans full of kids, but someone holding a phone to their ear in dense traffic drives me loving irate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, that thing leica posted is real. http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/local/2014/04/24/edmundson-write-more-tickets-memo/8115569/

Bajaha posted:

Yup, police departments are totally not profit oriented. It's all about public safety, that's why we setup speed traps.

Here's more people we share the road with, found on imgur.

:haw:
dumbasses.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

It's like a modern work of art!

I can only imagine the call for emergency services.

:cop: "What's your emergency?"
:bigtran: "One second, I need to get a selfie."

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That mayor's timing is suboptimal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been a few, shall we say, "complications" with police in that area of the country?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Gorson posted:

That mayor's timing is suboptimal. Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't there been a few, shall we say, "complications" with police in that area of the country?

Hopefully it'll get plastered all over everywhere. It's this sort of hubris that got them into trouble in the first place.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Could be worse. Here in Ohio we have mayor's courts where a mayor (or typically a magistrate working for the city) gets to rule on minor misdemeanors like violations of city ordinances and notably, traffic citations.

This led to the small Cleveland suburb of Linndale - which controls a hair over 400 yards of I-71 - to obtain 80% of its annual operating budget via traffic citations, and for a few years in the mid 2000s its police department was second only to the Ohio Highway Patrol in number of speeding tickets issued in the entire state.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Geoj posted:

Could be worse. Here in Ohio we have mayor's courts where a mayor (or typically a magistrate working for the city) gets to rule on minor misdemeanors like violations of city ordinances and notably, traffic citations.

This led to the small Cleveland suburb of Linndale - which controls a hair over 400 yards of I-71 - to obtain 80% of its annual operating budget via traffic citations, and for a few years in the mid 2000s its police department was second only to the Ohio Highway Patrol in number of speeding tickets issued in the entire state.

This one I always found funny when their mayors court was dissolved and they made the news because I'm in that area all the time and have never even seen a police car on that stretch of 71. 480 near Brooklyn and 71 north of Strongsville on the other hand account for three of my last five tickets. Strongsville in particular, that one Charger with the puck light on the roof has to have been through three paint/decal jobs in the last few years as they try to figure out what's the least they can get away with calling a "marked unit".

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 29, 2015

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Today I watched a woman back into the car behind her three times while attempting to parallel park. These are the dents you share a car with.

(My car was in front of her, but she didn't hit it once. I'm sure she was thrilled when I crossed the street, got into my car and drove away)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Today was driving along a two lane road, one in each direction. Cars parked all along both sides so there's not a lot of room to maneuver. I came up to a stop sign where a car was already waiting.

Stood there for about five or eight seconds while the car did nothing. I gave him a short honk and he moved forward about six inches and stopped. I waited again for him to move and noticed that he was talking to someone in one of the parked cars, while blocking the travel lane. Another five seconds pass and I consider driving around him in the opposing lane but feel that that's not safe. Honk the horn again three or four times briefly and he still doesn't move. So I give him two more seconds and honk a little more vigorously.

The guy he's talking to in the other car yells " go around, rear end in a top hat!!" Frustrated, I look around for cops and gun it around, completely illegally.

gently caress these people.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sagebrush posted:

Today was driving along a two lane road, one in each direction. Cars parked all along both sides so there's not a lot of room to maneuver. I came up to a stop sign where a car was already waiting.

Stood there for about five or eight seconds while the car did nothing. I gave him a short honk and he moved forward about six inches and stopped. I waited again for him to move and noticed that he was talking to someone in one of the parked cars, while blocking the travel lane. Another five seconds pass and I consider driving around him in the opposing lane but feel that that's not safe. Honk the horn again three or four times briefly and he still doesn't move. So I give him two more seconds and honk a little more vigorously.

The guy he's talking to in the other car yells " go around, rear end in a top hat!!" Frustrated, I look around for cops and gun it around, completely illegally.

gently caress these people.

I don't know where you're located but you need a little give and take in traffic interactions. If someone's in the road stopped, you should go around them without a worry or a honk. The driver should definitely turn on their flashers though.

I live in a huge city where random things are happening in the street all the time, and sometimes you have to block a traffic lane (but not the whole street) in a crowded side street to get something done, as long as you're not there for more than a minute or two.

Obviously not okay on a more major thoroughfare.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gorson posted:

Ahaha you think the cops/local government believe on any level that they did anything wrong in that case, how cute.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

wolrah posted:

This one I always found funny when their mayors court was dissolved and they made the news because I'm in that area all the time and have never even seen a police car on that stretch of 71.

This and the license plates are literally the only good things Kasich has done since being in office.

wolrah posted:

Strongsville in particular, that one Charger with the puck light on the roof has to have been through three paint/decal jobs in the last few years as they try to figure out what's the least they can get away with calling a "marked unit".

Cuyahoga Falls (also has a mayor's court) has a car like that. Extremely slim oval LED light on top, and the "Police" decals on the doors are off-white on a white Crown Victoria. OTOH being the biggest speed trap city in the Akron area I have no pity for anyone who gets bagged by them.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

you need a little give and take in traffic interactions. If someone's in the road stopped, you should go around them without a worry or a honk.

sometimes you have to block a traffic lane (but not the whole street) in a crowded side street to get something done, as long as you're not there for more than a minute or two.

It is illegal for me to cross into the opposite lane and illegal for them to stop in a travel lane and obstruct traffic. Why am I wrong for not wanting to break the law? If their car is broken down, fine, that's one thing, but the middle of the road is not the place to stop and chat to your friends :psyduck:

And if you're the guy double parking in side streets with your flashers on while you're out running errands for minutes at a time, get bent. The amount of time it's appropriate to block the only legal travel lane on a non emergency situation is zero seconds. Go find a real parking space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
So you're one of those people who will sit and hold up traffic waiting for someone who is obviously not moving to move? Are you also scared of painted lines on the road? You're worse, trust me.