Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

fjelltorsk posted:

So. I decided to try going to the toilet on my own. making GBS threads in a bedpan is only fun the first time. I have been sitting here for the last fifty minutes and cant get up.

I should probably call a nurse

Yeah, that'd be smart. Otherwise there is the classic fall on the floor and squirm while you call the nurse with your rear end hanging out move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

rscott posted:

He's like 2 years from retirement tops and has basically checked out. He spends most of the day browsing the Internet for guitar poo poo. And it's not so much getting yelled at for poo poo that's galling, it's the rank hypocrisy from the people doing it

That is a pretty unpleasant spots be in. I have had to work with a similar individual that oversees some equipment I work with. I had a research project get kneecapped because I could not get two hours of work out of that them despite trying over the span of about four months. Thankfully, the way miss the management chain is I can have verbal confrontations without fear of repercussions. Well, other than more of my projects getting screwed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

fjelltorsk posted:

So. I decided to try going to the toilet on my own. making GBS threads in a bedpan is only fun the first time. I have been sitting here for the last fifty minutes and cant get up.

Puts my admittedly otherwise pretty hosed up week in perspective.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Hello friends, I joined the stupid facebook group. We're all facefriends now.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Midget parts should be here by Friday, get to wrestle in the new windscreen :getin:

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

kastein posted:

rscott and I are the hardest ones to figure out. Holdbrooks is pretty difficult too.

I'm New Game+ in this difficulty scale.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Christ, work has been absolutely *dead* this week. 4 deliveries every day this week for me (all open or close shifts). I actually left 15 minutes before close tonight, since we stop taking delivery orders at 9:40 (close at 10). The phone rang once between 8 and 9:30 - the labor percentage for the day was drat near 70%, even running a barebones staff.

I've made $50 in tips... for the entire week. At least I haven't used much gas.

Tomarse posted:

Is that percentage the probability of rain/snow?

Correct. On the local news the % is usually rain; they'll generally point out if it's going to be winter-like stuff (snow, sleet, etc).

KozmoNaut posted:

poo poo, I don't even know if I have papers for all of my certifications etc., or even where the ones I do know about have wandered off to.

I don't either, I just keep a list of them available.

Mine aren't IT related anyway.

kastein posted:

rscott and I are the hardest ones to figure out. Holdbrooks is pretty difficult too.

I've honestly forgotten who is who aside from the NE:AI types.

I have no idea who Jamison from VT is, but he added me today, and Facebook said 4 mutual AI buds, so... v:v:v

Preoptopus posted:

Sit on my rear end at work for 11 hours to do one free oil change the entire day and they tell me to come back tomarrow with a better attitude. I should come with a 2 week notice.
Also hosed by obamacare into owing 140 bucks after a year of paying my loving monthy premium and 9 grand in taxes.

I owe $262. Would have had a $38 refund :laffo: if it wasn't for having to repay the subsidy.

I definitely hosed up on my estimated income for 2014.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Sometimes I hate being a sports fan. I should have went to bed an hour ago, but the blackhawks game is on. So they had a one goal lead and I decided to go to bed...And as I went to turn the tv off it got tied.

Welp guess I'm up longer.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
First year getting a big boy tax return, too bad it's all going to the wedding :confuoot:

Rscott, do you know how to run cmm machines? Want a change of scenery? I'm pretty sure my employer is looking for inspectors.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Oil chat.

I've always run Mobil 1 in my car (this last oil change was the high mileage version). It's oil change time, so I stopped by WalMart on my way home from work.

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus was a little cheaper this time around, and claims to be a synthetic made from a base of natural gas (yet still synthetic?). Claims to meet all kinds of OEM specs (including GM dexos1). Anyone happen to run an analysis with Blackstone with this stuff yet?

I also.. uh.. got a Fram ToughGuard oil filter :ohdear: instead of AC Delco. It's a cartridge filter, not canister, so I can actually see the guts.. and it actually includes a new o-ring for the oil filter cap. ... and now that I look at the receipt, it rang up for $2 higher than the shelf tag. :argh: (website also shows the same price as the shelf tag, so now I'm irritated)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I did the turbotax tax return forcaster and it's telling me well be getting a shitload back in taxes because of how much we paid and because we both are still in university. We have been living super frugally these last 6 months and have managed to save about $5000 to put towards a house and for an emergency fund, so if this thing is anything close to accurate we'll be halfway to getting a down payment on a nice house and by the time we graduate if nothing changes we should have enough :3:

Being poor and not buying nice things that we want whenever we want it has its benefits sometimes I guess

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I see someone's been following Dave Ramsey's advice. Good job!

Any of you guys use Cricket Wireless? My plan with T-Mobile expired at midnight, and I typically use 5-8 gigs a month. Cricket has a promo that expires today (as in Thursday) that gives you a $100 bill credit if you switch from T-Mobile, and their 10 gig plan is $60/month. I'm currently paying $70/mo for unlimited.

I know they cap LTE at 8mbit, while T-Mobile is uncapped, but T-Mobile is useless when you're out in the boonies. Cricket runs on AT&T's network, which is basically everywhere.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 29, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus was a little cheaper this time around, and claims to be a synthetic made from a base of natural gas (yet still synthetic?). Claims to meet all kinds of OEM specs (including GM dexos1). Anyone happen to run an analysis with Blackstone with this stuff yet?

I've been running it for years now (in the NB, MS3, LS1, CR-V, and WJ) and never had a problem. Mobil actually filed a FTC complaint ages ago that the base stocks that other companies (Castrol at the time, but I'm pretty sure Pennzoil does it now too) weren't really 'synthetic' because they were highly refined oils instead. FTC ruled that it wasn't deceptive to call Syntec synthetic, and eventually Mobil started doing the same thing. Modern additive packages and whatnot mean that they all work just drat fine anyway.

The only one of the above cars to have ever leaked any oil is the LS1, which I think has a super tiny leak on the front main seal. I'm sure it has more to do with the fact that the engine is 15 years old and right about 20,000 total miles.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

fjelltorsk posted:

But did you succeed in your pooping? And how much battery do you have left?

Seriously, dude, please don't die yet, because you crack me up. :glomp:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Only leak I know of at the moment is the valve cover, where it goes over the cam bearing caps at the back (transaxle side) of the engine.

I go way too many miles between oil changes (7k+, 11k on one oil change), and it's never lost more than half a quart. New gasket set is about $25, I just keep putting it off until it gets to where it's more than a slight damp spot on the valve cover.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Joined the AI facebook, because gently caress it why not.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Previous fill up a hulking big V8 sedan best - $86

Tonight - $60. And I was struggling to get any more in. Sixty loving bucks to fill a Commodore???? Dafuq? I havent seen fuel this low in about 15 years?

(99 cents a litre)

Otherwise can this hosed up week end already or I find a huge pile of cash?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I see someone's been following Dave Ramsey's advice. Good job!

Any of you guys use Cricket Wireless? My plan with T-Mobile expired at midnight, and I typically use 5-8 gigs a month. Cricket has a promo that expires today (as in Thursday) that gives you a $100 bill credit if you switch from T-Mobile, and their 10 gig plan is $60/month. I'm currently paying $70/mo for unlimited.

I know they cap LTE at 8mbit, while T-Mobile is uncapped, but T-Mobile is useless when you're out in the boonies. Cricket runs on AT&T's network, which is basically everywhere.

I switched 2 lines and added a third on Cricket. Overall, very easy. They send a stupid-large box for SIM, where an envelope would be more than sufficient, but it's saying something when that's my only real beef with the process. One line switched from T-Mobile was a pain just because it was a prepaid where I never gave T-Mobile any info, yet needed info for the number port, but that was T-Mobile's issue, not mine.

I'm just using the 1 gig plan, so data I'm using data frugally, but my wife hits the cap quickly and says that the throttle isn't terrible, but definitely noticeable.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

fjelltorsk posted:

I hope you beat it mate.
gently caress cancer.

Cat Terrist posted:

Previous fill up a hulking big V8 sedan best - $86

Tonight - $60. And I was struggling to get any more in. Sixty loving bucks to fill a Commodore???? Dafuq? I havent seen fuel this low in about 15 years?

(99 cents a litre)

Otherwise can this hosed up week end already or I find a huge pile of cash?

It only got down to $1.02 here yesterday as the lowest I've seen it. But I had to get fuel today, got ripped off at $1.17 for some reason.
I guess that's why the petrol stations looked so busy yesterday (we have a working functioning fuel watch system here in WA that reports tomorrows prices)

I spent the day at centrelink with wating around and running around getting all sorts of payslips and birth certificate etc.
They really gently caress you around when claiming unemployment even when it's for medical reasons.
OTOH, some nice person at centrelink was willing to throw money to my partner for no hassle at all because of our kid.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 29, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

I switched 2 lines and added a third on Cricket. Overall, very easy. They send a stupid-large box for SIM, where an envelope would be more than sufficient, but it's saying something when that's my only real beef with the process. One line switched from T-Mobile was a pain just because it was a prepaid where I never gave T-Mobile any info, yet needed info for the number port, but that was T-Mobile's issue, not mine.

I'm just using the 1 gig plan, so data I'm using data frugally, but my wife hits the cap quickly and says that the throttle isn't terrible, but definitely noticeable.

I wound up going ahead and renewing my T-Mobile plan a few minutes ago. I constantly stream music, TV, movies, etc from my home PC while at work (not while driving, except for music - at work we have what seems to be 1.5/1.5 SDSL, with a ton of packet loss - CC authentication retries multiple times on many orders, and the owner always bitches that he can't keep a remote desktop connection open... the only service available to the building is AT&T DSL). Google Maps alone nails over 3 gigs a month, since I use satellite view. I've broken 20 gigs in a month without really trying hard.

The $100 rebate for switching is so loving tempting, but the 8mbit LTE/4mbit HSPA+ cap just kills it for me. I nail 100+ mbit in parts of town on T-Mobile, and consistently nail 50+ mbit at work, 25 at home. And T-Mo includes 3 gigs of tethering, which is handy when the power goes out and I'm stuck on a non-Windows laptop (otherwise PDANet is good at covering tethering). Cricket's AUP states essentially "you tether, you lose your account".

The biggest reason I was thinking of switching was if I go off the beaten path, which AT&T definitely covers better than T-Mobile (well that and the $100 rebate). Prepaid T-Mobile doesn't really have much in the way of roaming agreements. :smith: I plan on doing a lot of camping this spring, but I don't think even AT&T will cover much of where I plan to go. Mostly the TX/OK border, and possibly TX/AR. And definitely the Ozarks at some point. I know the last time I went out along the TX/OK border, I occasionally had 1 bar of voice service, no data at all. It was pretty nice to hike several miles without my phone buzzing every few minutes. :unsmith:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 29, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

making GBS threads in a bedpan isn't even fun the first time. But if you've been trying to get it up for 50 minutes maybe they need to knock you out again, that seemed to work last time:rimshot:

Think I'm getting sick just in time for travel. Woke up feeling fine but have been going downhill fast. Wonderful.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fo3 posted:

I hope you beat it mate.
gently caress cancer.

It only got down to $1.02 here yesterday as the lowest I've seen it. But I had to get fuel today, got ripped off at $1.17 for some reason.
I guess that's why the petrol stations looked so busy yesterday (we have a working functioning fuel watch system here in WA that reports tomorrows prices)

I spent the day at centrelink with wating around and running around getting all sorts of payslips and birth certificate etc.
They really gently caress you around when claiming unemployment even when it's for medical reasons.
OTOH, some nice person at centrelink was willing to throw money to my partner for no hassle at all because of our kid.

I was spitting chips yesterday- filled up the car with 165L of diesel at $1.22... Saw it last night for $1.16.... I could have used that extra $10...

Tho since diesels dropped from $1.55-1.60 a litre to $1.20 a litre my fortnightly fuel bills dropped from $280 a fortnight to around $230 a fortnight! I wonder what the fuel price in Mt Dare is now, cos it was $2.45 a litre when I went past in July. That 100L top up hurt!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm getting $1 back on my tax return. Everyone else I work with is getting $1200 or more.

I hate everything.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 29, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Got the spleen done today, amount of affected cells was much lower than expected. Im doing a lung biopsy tomorrow (or, the doctors are doing it, not diy surgery this time, i have tried self surgery ten years ago, 1/10 would not recommend) hopefully i get good news tomorrow.

and don´t feel sorry for me for getting stuck on the toilet or fainting at work. the reason i get into those situations is, and i quote my wife "because i am a stubborn gently caress with no sense of my own limitations and no clue whats best for me"

and thanks for all the support, one of the reasons i love AI and this thread is that you are kinda like working in the FD. you dont treat me like im a fragile retard just because i have a wee bit of cancer.

quick story to illustrate. In the locker room at the firehouse i used to have two tennis balls hanging in small net on my locker. i used them as a stress relief if we had a bad gig. when i got back from the hospital after having one of my testicles removed, there was only one ball left... i guess to illustrate my now short stacked scrotum. i laughed so hard i had to change underwear

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

the reason i get into those situations is, and i quote my wife "because i am a stubborn gently caress with no sense of my own limitations and no clue whats best for me"
This will also be the reason you get through this poo poo. Stubborn fucks are the ones that recover faster and get through poo poo. Stay stubborn and gently caress cancer.

fjelltorsk posted:

quick story to illustrate. In the locker room at the firehouse i used to have two tennis balls hanging in small net on my locker. i used them as a stress relief if we had a bad gig. when i got back from the hospital after having one of my testicles removed, there was only one ball left... i guess to illustrate my now short stacked scrotum. i laughed so hard i had to change underwear
You work with great people.

Whoever mentioned the Sperglord Firecock thread thank you. Holy poo poo. I wish I had known about it earlier and lived closer so I could help the guy out.

Taxes...still waiting on my W2 and mortgage stuff, I'll probably owe 1-200 again since I keep forgetting to adjust things. If by some miracle I get money back it's going straight towards a stupid decision.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

I have no idea who Jamison from VT is, but he added me today, and Facebook said 4 mutual AI buds, so... v:v:v

ssjonizuka posted:

edit: I did end up adding a few of you. If anything, as mentioned before, I do like looking into the (albeit filtered) window of everyone's lives.

:ms:

edit:

fjelltorsk posted:

:words: amazing coworkers :words:

That is loving hysterical. Also, I'll leave this here, just for you:
A fun game you may find relevant

Beverly Cleavage fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 29, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Only leak I know of at the moment is the valve cover, where it goes over the cam bearing caps at the back (transaxle side) of the engine.

I go way too many miles between oil changes (7k+, 11k on one oil change), and it's never lost more than half a quart. New gasket set is about $25, I just keep putting it off until it gets to where it's more than a slight damp spot on the valve cover.

They are also notorious for leaking at the axle seals. Mostly the inner one behind the engine. But saturns have always leaked from valve covers....ALWAYS!!!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just realized I have been submitting my hours wrong at work for holidays, and now my company owes me like 6 days of holiday pay. Between that and my tax return, should just about fill the coffers of my e39 beater5 project fund.

The good people at pelican parts/fcp/bavauto/ebay will be eating well this week.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fjelltorsk posted:

Got the spleen done today, amount of affected cells was much lower than expected. Im doing a lung biopsy tomorrow (or, the doctors are doing it, not diy surgery this time, i have tried self surgery ten years ago, 1/10 would not recommend) hopefully i get good news tomorrow.

I feel like I need to know more about this self-surgery... :eyepop:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Fjelltorsk : When they diagnosed my Dad with esophageal cancer, he got a real surprise. Did an MRI, discovered one of his kidneys was just gone.

Not tumorous, just plain not there. Apparently when he wrecked his semi back in the 70's, it got damaged and just atrophied and he didn't notice. He laughed his rear end off at it, and the guys he worked with gave him no end of shut for being too tough for his own good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

All this talk about filing taxes and whatnot makes me not look forward to punching in the ol W-2 information. Last year we were pleasantly surprised to get a nice return (I think like $1600?) whereas every other year of our marriage except the first year we have had to owe money. Everyone is like "Oh, kids will get you a huge tax return" - that is a lie. Here's to being white and middle class! :confuoot:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Dude here at work, in his forties, had a loving terrible cough all day yesterday. He comes in this morning and immediately has a major stroke.

I was late this morning because my kids had a two-hour delay at school, and was wondering why it was so quiet in here. Now I know. :stare:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress. I woke up at 5am with the worst coughing fit I've ever had, ended up in the bathroom hacking spit and mucous into the tub for an hour before it calmed down.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I've done my taxes four times and after Obamacare it says I owe $500+ every time. I've given up, going to H&R Block.

Just wrack up student loans, houses and kids. May the odds be ever in your favor!

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

iwentdoodie posted:

Sometimes I hate being a sports fan. I should have went to bed an hour ago, but the blackhawks game is on. So they had a one goal lead and I decided to go to bed...And as I went to turn the tv off it got tied.

Welp guess I'm up longer.

I can never turn the TV off. I have to see it through to the end, sleep be damned.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm getting $1 back on my tax return. Everyone else I work with is getting $1200 or more.

I hate everything.
What up. :whatup:

Should I not be using motorcraft synthetic oil? Its super cheap at walmart and I do drive a ford so why not?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

fjelltorsk posted:

ahahhaahaha you rock.

You only need one of those to be dangerous anyways. :v:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

I hate everything.

Not getting anything back but also not owing anything is the optimal result. Owing is obviously bad but a big return means you essentially loaned the government money interest free.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

Not getting anything back but also not owing anything is the optimal result. Owing is obviously bad but a big return means you essentially loaned the government money interest free.

I know, but when you live paycheck to paycheck a big tax return is kind of nice. I have a bunch of maintenance I need to catch up on on my DD and I was really counting on a decent tax return in order to do that. Plus now I get to listen to all my coworkers talk about what they are going to do with their big returns.

Oh well, at least I didn't owe anything I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

That's not as big of a deal as it used to be... you're not getting any income from interest anymore, so it really doesn't matter.

• Locked thread