Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fyodor posted:

lol i just looked it up this was released in 1994. MBV Loveless, Melvins Lysol and Houdini, SY's Goo and Daydream Nation, Mudhoney's Superfuzz Bigmuff, Pixies Surfer Rosa, Spacemen 3, Superchunk, the Wipers, Minutemen, Jesus Lizard, etc., etc.

All at or slightly before 1994.

I get the point that you're making but "slightly before 1994" is kinda bullshit.

Let's do these in order: 1991, 1992/3, 1990/88, 1988, 1988, broke up in 1991, actually had an album in 1994, reunited in 1993, broke up in 1985, actually had an album in 1994, etc. etc.

That's a pretty big span of time there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Allen Wren posted:

I get the point that you're making but "slightly before 1994" is kinda bullshit.

Let's do these in order: 1991, 1992/3, 1990/88, 1988, 1988, broke up in 1991, actually had an album in 1994, reunited in 1993, broke up in 1985, actually had an album in 1994, etc. etc.

i think the point he/she is trying to make is dr. faustus has terrible taste in music

dr. faustus what is your opinion of nirvana killing hair metal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Allen Wren posted:

is it?? those are all during operating years of faustus' glorious kings x. I mean, yeah, I could've mentioned swans, the frogs, fugazi, but you get the point.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ThePutty posted:

dr. faustus what is your opinion of nirvana killing hair metal

based on the bands he idolizes i'm not sure he's even aware that happened

also this is the most anyone's ever discussed kings x, including back during their commercial peak, minor as it was

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i wonder if there's a person out there googling kings x every day looking for internet discussions about them

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

ThePutty posted:

i wonder if there's a person out there googling kings x every day looking for internet discussions about them

he doesn't have to google, he's right here with the discussion

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
the posts are coming from inside the thread

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

I bought a GoPro thingy with jaw clamp and extender pole to whack on my guitar. After a day of fiddling I'm seriously confused how all the youtube guys are mounting these things to their guitar bodies and managing not to whack the thing out of the way when playing. I think I'll have to stick with clamping it on the headstock. :/

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I think Nirvana was inspired. Just such a great collection of hooks and melodies.

As far as KX goes, I think they had a great run from Gretchen Goes to Nebraska all the way up to Dogman, and capped off well with Ear Candy which pretty much had a ton of radio-friendly "hit" type songs. I just didn't like Ty's switch to Marshalls on Ear Candy after his great Lab tones and, holy poo poo, those MESAs on Dogman with his red Zion. After that it was all downhill (modelling amps, lovely Yamahas, just a huge downward slide in tone, like he just didn't care anymore.) Doug's bass tones remained great, though. The 12-string Hamer bass is very distinctive, too.
Anything after Ear Candy I just don't listen to.

They have come right out in interviews and admitted that after like twenty-plus years as a band they just didn't feel it anymore, which is why they pursued their solo projects. I don't think they'll ever recapture that magic unless they relent and let Sam Taylor work with them again, but I think that ship has sailed.

I'm truly sorry you guys don't like them, as their signature combination of deeply detuned riffs and great vocals was really exactly what I wanted to hear. Once they got burnt out and stopped caring, I basically did, too. It's sad they never got the commercial success they deserved. They truly were a musician's band. :(

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Dr. Faustus posted:

Personally, I think Nirvana was inspired. Just such a great collection of hooks and melodies.

As far as KX goes, I think they had a great run from Gretchen Goes to Nebraska all the way up to Dogman, and capped off well with Ear Candy which pretty much had a ton of radio-friendly "hit" type songs. I just didn't like Ty's switch to Marshalls on Ear Candy after his great Lab tones and, holy poo poo, those MESAs on Dogman with his red Zion. After that is was all downhill (modelling amps, lovely Yamahas, just a huge downward slide in tone. Doug's bass tones remained great, though. The 12-string Hamer bass is very distinctive, too.
Anything after Ear Candy I just don't listen to.

They have come right out in interviews and admitted that after like twenty-plus years as a band they just didn't feel it anymore, which is why they pursued their solo projects. I don't think they'll ever recapture that magic unless they relent and let Sam Taylor work with them again, but I think that ship has sailed.

I'm truly sorry you guys don't like them, as their signature combination of deeply detuned riffs and great vocals was really exactly what I wanted to hear. Once they got burnt out and stopped caring, I basically did, too. It's sad they never got the commercial success they deserved. They truly were a musician's band. :(

A customer gave me a copied CD by a band called 'Love' (I forget the name of the album, but it was apparently the best one) for.... some reason. I think he thought I would like them? He did tell me that they were a "true musicians band".0 It was.... ok. Kind of 60's poppy/garage rock stuff.

The same guy gave me a Dream Theatre - Images and Words too. It's a terrible album but I kind of like it. It's dire though.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Hey, look what I found;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU20TS1vvCg

This guy is awesome.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Saw this on Facebook today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjEGtUXGWa0

I kind of want a fretless guitar now haha

I realize it's sort of terrible, but it looks fun as gently caress.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

White Dog Eggs posted:

Hey, look what I found;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU20TS1vvCg

This guy is awesome.
"My God. It's full of strings!"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

White Dog Eggs posted:

A customer gave me a copied CD by a band called 'Love' (I forget the name of the album, but it was apparently the best one) for.... some reason. I think he thought I would like them? He did tell me that they were a "true musicians band".0 It was.... ok. Kind of 60's poppy/garage rock stuff.

The same guy gave me a Dream Theatre - Images and Words too. It's a terrible album but I kind of like it. It's dire though.

that's the only dream theater album i've heard and god i hate it and can't stand the band because of it...i think

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
My 90s guilty pleasure is Non-Intentional Lifeform and I wish more music was as loving angry as this Irish/Aussie band could get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niNzt4gSjRg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpTlBcqSlz0

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

both of those guys seem pretty neat, too-many-strings and not-enough-frets.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Dr. Faustus posted:

They truly were a musician's band. :(

This is the sort of thing that inevitably sets off warning bells for me. Like, it's one thing to play and to play well, but if your playing is at a point where it can't be appreciated unless you have a degree from Berklee, get the gently caress off my hi-fi. Sure, it can be argued that I'm arguing from an anti-intellectual standpoint, but once a group or artist is labeled a "musician's band/artist", there will inevitably be acolytes of that group who---and I'm not actually referring to Faustus here---try and inflict them upon everybody, to endless tedium. I believe I told a story earlier in this thread about my girlfriend's ex who bought her a Gong CD for her birthday and proceeded to get mad and sulky when she didn't like it? Yeah. That sort of thing. I don't like the idea that you have to be brainier to "get" something or the implication that if you don't "get" something, you're a mouth-breathing C.H.U.D.

Full disclosure, I have one King's X album, and while there's a couple songs on it that I dig, it's a little meh. Got it for free, can't complain. It's outside of the "classic" period Faustus describes, so.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I don't understand "experimental music" like Henry Kaiser and other similar noise.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The first couple King's X albums are pretty cool and good and lumping those guys in with Dream Theater or whatever is kind of a dick move

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Allen Wren posted:

if your playing is at a point where it can't be appreciated unless you have a degree from Berklee, get the gently caress off my hi-fi.
I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that lots of bands (from very very good to very very not good) cite them as being truly great.
And if you've been exposed to anything after 1996 (or, if I'm totally honest, after 1994) then I can totally understand.

I didn't mean "musicians music" in such a pejorative way, I promise.

Also, I'm through proselytizing. Sorry it was so annoying.

VVV Sorry, I'll drop it. VVV

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 29, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Kings X chat sux

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Allen Wren posted:

This is the sort of thing that inevitably sets off warning bells for me.

generally i take it to mean they can't write songs for poo poo

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

generally i take it to mean they can't write songs for poo poo

That's what it means.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

Still, You name a band that tuned down, and I loving guarantee you they copied King's X.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Faustus, what do you think about My Bloody Valentine's Loveless?

I'm only asking because either the answer's gonna be really interesting, or dumb.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

umalt posted:

Faustus, what do you think about My Bloody Valentine's Loveless?

I'm only asking because either the answer's gonna be really interesting, or dumb.
Dumb, as in, "I haven't heard it."

Listening now. What do you call this genre? It's. Dissonant. Kinda noisy.

When You Sleep is pretty good.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 29, 2015

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Faustus posted:

Shoegaze

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Faustus posted:

it's shoegaze

so named because the guitarists are so busy staring at their rather extensive pedalboards

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

unlawfulsoup posted:

I don't understand "experimental music" like Henry Kaiser and other similar noise.

One of my bands (Bum and Possum Combination) is a free jazz/noise/experimental thing I put together as a joke but has made more money than all of my actual serious bands combined. That should not be read as 'made a lot of money', by the way.

Most of the feedback I get after shows consists of something along the lines of 'What the gently caress WAS that?' or 'I don't know what to call that' and the occasional seriously angry dude ready to kick my rear end because he 'didn't get it' and therefore I was insulting his intelligence.

I do it because it's fun to make an unholy, glorious noise without worrying about hitting the right notes or sticking to a set formula for songs. People come up with the whole 'higher concept of transcending what people perceive as music' bullshit, but my purpose for this band is to beat on a synth with my fists for 45 minutes and get $20 and two well drinks as a result.

Here is our first basement EP and a live album that I threw together before my old drummer moved to Kentucky. We're now a 4 piece, have a much heavier sound, and spend our entire set laughing at each other for doing stupid poo poo while playing.

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010
I always thought shoegaze was named such because of the crowd looking at their shoes, not the band.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's named shoegaze because you gotta look at the floor when using the vacuum, the sound of which inspired the music.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

BigHustle posted:

One of my bands (Bum and Possum Combination) is a free jazz/noise/experimental thing I put together as a joke but has made more money than all of my actual serious bands combined. That should not be read as 'made a lot of money', by the way.

Most of the feedback I get after shows consists of something along the lines of 'What the gently caress WAS that?' or 'I don't know what to call that' and the occasional seriously angry dude ready to kick my rear end because he 'didn't get it' and therefore I was insulting his intelligence.

I do it because it's fun to make an unholy, glorious noise without worrying about hitting the right notes or sticking to a set formula for songs. People come up with the whole 'higher concept of transcending what people perceive as music' bullshit, but my purpose for this band is to beat on a synth with my fists for 45 minutes and get $20 and two well drinks as a result.

Here is our first basement EP and a live album that I threw together before my old drummer moved to Kentucky. We're now a 4 piece, have a much heavier sound, and spend our entire set laughing at each other for doing stupid poo poo while playing.

Honestly you should join me, my keytar, fencing shirt, in the greatest (worst) NYC subway performance band. Now with more annoying random drum loops.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

unlawfulsoup posted:

If you are interested, Joe Morris' book on the topic is excellent :
http://www.amazon.com/Perpetual-Frontier-Properties-Free-Music/dp/0985981008/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1422535970&sr=8-3&keywords=joe+morris

Then watch the movie "Frank" on Netflix.

short summary:

BigHustle posted:

I do it because it's fun

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

satanic splash-back posted:

i have to be correct on the internet about guitars that make beep boop bop noises

there is no fun to be had in this world

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Schpyder posted:

it's shoegaze

so named because the guitarists are so busy staring at their rather extensive pedalboards

i really love shoegaze and try to write it but everyone that plays with me gets bored and it always turns into something else :[

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i really love shoegaze and try to write it but everyone that plays with me gets bored and it always turns into something else :[

aren't a lot of shoegaze bands just one guy recording everything?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

In MBV's case, it helps to be on hallucinogenics or ecstasy or both.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

And when you listen to MBV, you have to realize the insane volume level that it should be played at.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

there is no fun to be had in this world

im having fun, reading full essays about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Spanish Manlove posted:

aren't a lot of shoegaze bands just one guy recording everything?

I mean some yeah but, I wanna actually play live with a band and not a loop station. Maybe i'll just record and program in some drums or something and lure friends to play it live by offering drugs/alcohol.

• Locked thread