Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

pentyne posted:

For 100+ chapters in there's been a shocking absence of anything romance related aside from Nikumi getting flustered and a few brief scenes with Megumi. This tournament arc has really carried on for far too long with shockingly little payoff, serving more as a vehicle for a poo poo ton of extra characters to get their day in the sun.

40+ chapters of this entire series is this 1st year tournament, and it adds at least 10-15 new characters.

I mean, that's what the manga is. It's not going to turn into a romance manga all of a sudden. It's about cooking, the whole tournament was almost nonstop cooking. If you're not enjoying the cooking, I'd stop reading if I was you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Begemot posted:

I mean, that's what the manga is. It's not going to turn into a romance manga all of a sudden. It's about cooking, the whole tournament was almost nonstop cooking. If you're not enjoying the cooking, I'd stop reading if I was you.

No I meant as a general observation. This entire cooking tournament has kind of fallen flat and almost seems like a waste now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

pentyne posted:

No I meant as a general observation. This entire cooking tournament has kind of fallen flat and almost seems like a waste now.

That's why I'm annoyed at the result, not because of the reason Souma lost, but the fact that over half the manga has been for nearly nothing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Neo_Crimson posted:

That's why I'm annoyed at the result, not because of the reason Souma lost, but the fact that over half the manga has been for nearly nothing.

What do you mean "for nothing"? Because the protagonist didn't win? It isn't a loving videogame where it's a waste of time if you don't immediately gain victory.

Just a couple pages ago everyone was lamenting the fact that Soma is unbeatable and never loses except for those times that he lost. Now he loses the big tournament and suddenly it was a waste of time. It introduced a dozen characters and was incredibly entertaining. This will push the story forward by causing character growth for Soma. It literally makes up a majority of the content of this series.

Jesus christ, if you didn't enjoy the tournament, why are you reading? That's what the manga has been for more than a year. It's going to continue being that but in a slightly different form in the future. It's like complaining there are too many fights in Dragon Ball Z.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Begemot posted:

What do you mean "for nothing"? Because the protagonist didn't win? It isn't a loving videogame where it's a waste of time if you don't immediately gain victory.

Just a couple pages ago everyone was lamenting the fact that Soma is unbeatable and never loses except for those times that he lost. Now he loses the big tournament and suddenly it was a waste of time. It introduced a dozen characters and was incredibly entertaining. This will push the story forward by causing character growth for Soma. It literally makes up a majority of the content of this series.

Jesus christ, if you didn't enjoy the tournament, why are you reading? That's what the manga has been for more than a year. It's going to continue being that but in a slightly different form in the future. It's like complaining there are too many fights in Dragon Ball Z.

The tournament is a waste not because Soma lost but because the premise for it is entirely bullshit. It's like if the criteria for who won was based on who had the coolest hair and we just spent a year to get to that conclusion. If Soma just straight up lost because he wasn't good enough then yes that's fine but the author had to throw in some contrived reason for him to lose the tournament while still being ~the best cook~

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guys the criteria was literally based on that idea that has been floating around since the very beginning. "Find somebody to cook for", remember?
Yes it's super arbitrary but it didn't come out of nowhere.

They even did a flashback just to lay the point thicker because this is a manga aimed to 14 year olds.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I kind of wish they showed maybe some of the judge's deliberation for some of these. Like in Megumi's match they all talked about how great hers was and then it seemed like the bandanna guy just won unconditionally but then it turns out Megumi's was actually amazing because the Chairmen lost his underwear. Maybe at least one of the judges could say they thought the loser's was better every now and then.

Also isn't the lady the spice guy hangs out with like a year or two younger than Souma's dad? Am I misremembering that?

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 27, 2015

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kyte posted:

Guys the criteria was literally based on that idea that has been floating around since the very beginning. "Find somebody to cook for", remember?
Yes it's super arbitrary but it didn't come out of nowhere.

They even did a flashback just to lay the point thicker because this is a manga aimed to 14 year olds.

1. It's a dumb idea and will more than likely only be used to hook up Erina with Souma
2. So what about Ryou, who also came from a lovely backstory and started cooking for a girl all the time?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DoubleDonut posted:

2. So what about Ryou, who also came from a lovely backstory and started cooking for a girl all the time?

He didn't get a flashback to show how much he cares for the person he's cooking for. How were the judges to know :science:

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

DoubleDonut posted:

1. It's a dumb idea and will more than likely only be used to hook up Erina with Souma

The second Ryou gets laid his food will become euphoric.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

BlitzBlast posted:

What I don't get is how is being creative with common ingredients not a unique style of cooking?

Because he's doing stuff that anyone else could do but is just smart enough to research all of it, while the other guy has a unique thing. Like, no one's coming to Souma's restaurant for the really good ______, they're coming because all of the food is consistently good and interesting.

It's arbitrary and bad, but saying that he doesn't have a specialty and is just all-around very good is correct in the context of the manga.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DoubleDonut posted:

He didn't get a flashback. :v:

(tbf if you compare the two's backstories it's pretty obvious Ryou was in a much better spot. He was head of the kitchen and didn't seem to be starving or anything. And I'm pretty sure he was assigned there by the actual owner which implies some level of connections or at least a sort of parental figure. He wasn't loaded or urban middle class but still fairly comfortable all considered. Meanwhile Hayama was literally the starving kid archetype. SnS is not subtle.

Anyways I diverged from my point. One dude has a sort-of-rivalry sort-of-friendship and wasn't really 'rescued'. The other dude literally idolizes his rescuer)

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Kyte posted:

He didn't get a flashback. :v:

(tbf if you compare the two's backstories it's pretty obvious Ryou was in a much better spot. He was head of the kitchen and didn't seem to be starving or anything. And I'm pretty sure he was assigned there by the actual owner which implies some level of connections or at least a sort of parental figure. He wasn't loaded or urban middle class but still fairly comfortable all considered. Meanwhile Hayama was literally the starving kid archetype. SnS is not subtle.

Anyways I diverged from my point. One dude has a sort-of-rivalry sort-of-friendship and wasn't really 'rescued'. The other dude literally idolizes his rescuer)

None of this makes the outcome any less arbitrary or dumb; by that logic, Souma never wins because his childhood's been pretty smooth sailing.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Shounen is one-dimensional with whatever theme it draws from the hat in the first chapter - it's just a treat that the artist is decent (though the last two chapters looked really funky) and megumi is still adorable :3:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pinegala posted:

Shounen is one-dimensional with whatever theme it draws from the hat in the first chapter - it's just a treat that the artist is decent (though the last two chapters looked really funky) and alice is still adorable :3:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

DoubleDonut posted:

None of this makes the outcome any less arbitrary or dumb; by that logic, Souma never wins because his childhood's been pretty smooth sailing.

Exactly!
That's why the entire plot is him finding a waifu to cook for. :v:

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Kyte posted:

Exactly!
That's why the entire plot is him finding a waifu to cook for. :v:

A premise to redeem the entire anime industry.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I fully expect Takumi to be endgame waifu.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Everyone here needs to remember,

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

FutureCop posted:

For example, you mention Gordon Ramsey and his beef wellington. When I think about Gordon Ramsey, I don't think about his fancy signature dishes, I think about how he was able to make a delicious meal for Ricky Gervais, the pickiest eater in the entire world. (can see it mentioned here if you're curious) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iInCHq3yvs

And, even moreso, I think it was Ramsay who says that the initial test for interviewing chefs is having them simply make *scrambled eggs*.

And then he proceeds to explain all the excruciatingly exacting little things that make *excellent* scrambled eggs.

I wish I could find that again.

[edit] Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

buzmeg posted:

And, even moreso, I think it was Ramsay who says that the initial test for interviewing chefs is having them simply make *scrambled eggs*.

And then he proceeds to explain all the excruciatingly exacting little things that make *excellent* scrambled eggs.

I wish I could find that again.

[edit] Found it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

Learning how to make a perfect omelet is cooking school 101. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be a chef.

Patware posted:

Everyone here needs to remember,

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga.*

*with a crazy amount of fanservice

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
My only problem with this chapter is that it should've been last chapter. Did we really need that stopgap with the "seconds"? Did we really need to see the school warming up to Souma? Did we really need those musings on how much "effort" people aren't making? Particularly since it all built up to Souma losing anyway? Whatever.

But really at this point most of my problems are annoyances at best. Still a great manga, happy to read it ever week.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pentyne posted:

*with a crazy amount of fanservice

Spoken like someone who didn't have the bad loving luck to get into History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi before every single panel had to have a cameltoe or a nipple and watch the cracks shatter in its veneer of decency.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

pentyne posted:

Learning how to make a perfect omelet is cooking school 101. If you can't do that then you shouldn't be a chef.

Um, the comment and video were about scrambled eggs. Not an omelet.

And apparently it *isn't* cooking 101, or it wouldn't be an effective test.

Finally, I suspect that it is also a proxy for "what is your cooking at home like" since that is probably the only place where most chefs would make scrambled eggs with any frequency.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Maybe it's an "easy to learn, difficult to master" kind of thing? I figure any idiot can beat some eggs and milk, bung them in the microwave and come out with something perfectly edible, but restaurant-quality food is going to need skill, judgement etc. Presumably eggs showcase those skills? Or maybe it's a bit like what you said, since most prospectives are going to have a slightly different background, but everyone eats eggs.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

buzmeg posted:

Finally, I suspect that it is also a proxy for "what is your cooking at home like" since that is probably the only place where most chefs would make scrambled eggs with any frequency.

Uh... I'm pretty sure a chef will make one of the most popular breakfast foods in the world quite frequently, unless they don't work mornings. Like, if you go to a restaurant for breakfast, what else are you gonna have? Pancakes?

The Evil Thing posted:

Maybe it's an "easy to learn, difficult to master" kind of thing? I figure any idiot can beat some eggs and milk, bung them in the microwave and come out with something perfectly edible, but restaurant-quality food is going to need skill, judgement etc. Presumably eggs showcase those skills? Or maybe it's a bit like what you said, since most prospectives are going to have a slightly different background, but everyone eats eggs.

:stonk: Oh my god why would you use a microwave? Has this manga taught you nothing?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Hey, microwaves are a legitimate cooking appliance just like toaster ovens.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Hey, microwaves are a legitimate cooking appliance just like toaster ovens.

Only to anyone who grew up deliberately refusing how to use a stove. Someone shared a story in GBS about a co-worked who didn't cook (at all) and when his wife left him all he knew how to make was microwave scrambled eggs. 2 eggs in a coffee cup, beat with fork, 60 sec on high.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Souma will win his next Shokugeki by microwaving the leftovers from this last match.

Turns out his creative food is EVEN BETTER when microwaved and he would have won if he just did that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reminds me of that episode of Sweet Genius where some guy is so flustered at coming up with something unique he makes a microwave cake as his dish.

Needless to say he did not win.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

:stonk: Oh my god why would you use a microwave? Has this manga taught you nothing?

Uhhh i'll have you know that I make a pretty mean batch of microwaved scrambled eggs and everyone I serve it to loves it. :colbert:

I make it on christmas morning every year, my parents and sister think it's the bomb.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Uh... I'm pretty sure a chef will make one of the most popular breakfast foods in the world quite frequently, unless they don't work mornings. Like, if you go to a restaurant for breakfast, what else are you gonna have? Pancakes?

Over easy, poached, etc.

Scrambled eggs are for children who havent yet awakened to the true glory of eggs. :colbert:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

KoB posted:

Over easy, poached, etc.

Scrambled eggs are for children who havent yet awakened to the true glory of eggs. :colbert:

Microwaved poached eggs are even better, and faster to cook too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pentyne posted:

Only to anyone who grew up deliberately refusing how to use a stove. Someone shared a story in GBS about a co-worked who didn't cook (at all) and when his wife left him all he knew how to make was microwave scrambled eggs. 2 eggs in a coffee cup, beat with fork, 60 sec on high.

I cannot even begin to comprehend the anti-microwave bias. If there's anything I've learned from watching Alton Brown break things down on Cutthroat Kitchen, it's that if you can use the microwave to make your life easier, DO IT.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KoB posted:

Over easy, poached, etc.

True. Point was chefs use eggs all the time. Mastery of the egg is mastery of the kitchen.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Eej posted:

Reminds me of that episode of Sweet Genius where some guy is so flustered at coming up with something unique he makes a microwave cake as his dish.

Needless to say he did not win.

It's a shame, because his cake also came from a spray can and worked within the time limit. I thought it was pretty clever, but that judge was legitimately offended by the offering. Alas.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think the real problem was that his cake tasted like it came from a spray can.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't know about where you are from, but most high-end restaurants in the United States are not open for breakfast. At best, you might get a brunch on Sunday.

So, unless you are specifically a chef in a hotel restaurant, a chef is probably cooking standard breakfast food at a high polish quite rarely.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

True. Point was chefs use eggs all the time. Mastery of the egg is mastery of the kitchen.

Can't wait for Souma to realise this and become Eggneto, Master of Eggnetism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I cannot even begin to comprehend the anti-microwave bias. If there's anything I've learned from watching Alton Brown break things down on Cutthroat Kitchen, it's that if you can use the microwave to make your life easier, DO IT.

It shouldn't be the main step in making the dish though. It's useful for preparing other ingredients or materials like water, but not for something major.