Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Why not just go long YHOO short BABA at some appropriate ratio? Cost to borrow too high or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
My spreadsheet bullshit math after this morning puts YHOO price target at ~$60 if they do things the way they say they are going to do

If YHOO gets 35% tax by liquidating BABA, then price target is in the $47.50 range.

I'm willing to sit in the stock for a year for potentially 10-40% return.

Of course if BABA goes bust it blows everything out of the water.

Good news is, if you are buying after this morning, the momentum/growth investors piled out.

nollij fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 29, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Wow YHOO and BABA down 9-10%.

Speaking of down 10%, how do you guys feel about MSFT?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

DNova posted:

how do you guys feel about MSFT?

long term pretty solid, but not exciting.

But in the coming year or so, look into coal. The U.S. institutionalized attack on the industry has nearly destroyed it, in hopes that a new unicorn-based system would fall neatly into place.

MIT nerds think that will not be the case http://web.mit.edu/coal/The_Future_of_Coal_Summary_Report.pdf

ANR just went down below a buck and is in quantum purchasing levels.

COAL: ironically, the fuel of the future

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Broccoli Cat posted:

long term pretty solid, but not exciting.

But in the coming year or so, look into coal. The U.S. institutionalized attack on the industry has nearly destroyed it, in hopes that a new unicorn-based system would fall neatly into place.

MIT nerds think that will not be the case http://web.mit.edu/coal/The_Future_of_Coal_Summary_Report.pdf

ANR just went down below a buck and is in quantum purchasing levels.

COAL: ironically, the fuel of the future

This looks so tempting, but I'm afraid that coal might not come back for quite some time - like 4-5 years at least. And the existing companies aren't going to be around then...

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Closed out my EA $45/4.30 calls at 9.8. They might go higher, but 100% gainer is pretty swell.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

Baddog posted:

This looks so tempting, but I'm afraid that coal might not come back for quite some time - like 4-5 years at least. And the existing companies aren't going to be around then...

true, some of them will probably bite the dust, but disasters like the current situation weed out the poorly managed and the survivors will glean the market share.

the coal companies with enough cash to ride this nonsense out (and hopefully prevent de-listing and reverse-splits) will be the survivors

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Broccoli Cat posted:

true, some of them will probably bite the dust, but disasters like the current situation weed out the poorly managed and the survivors will glean the market share.

the coal companies with enough cash to ride this nonsense out (and hopefully prevent de-listing and reverse-splits) will be the survivors

That report was done in 2007. Are their predictions/estimations still relevant, or is there a revision?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Noah posted:

That report was done in 2007. Are their predictions/estimations still relevant, or is there a revision?

nothing yet.

I mean, nothing real.

I'm sure certain circles would attribute the investor fear to how the country suddenly and magically doesn't need coal any more, but it reminds me of how AKAM was under a buck back in 2002 for no logical reason other than tech had a pox on it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
how bout that AMZN!

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Baddog posted:

how bout that AMZN!

loving awesome.

cheers to anyone riding that

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I work for the power industry. Coal plants are closing and closing fast. Most of the ones that aren't closing are being converted to natural gas with coal as a backup/secondary fuel instead of oil.

It's your money, but between EPA regulations and where solar and wind will be in 5 years I would avoid the industry. If you have to invest in coal, I'd look for a company that has strong exports since most new coal plants are cropping up outside of the US.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I don't understand how one could hold a bullish sentiment on coal. New solar construction is cheaper per MW, coal extraction is getting more expensive in both dollars and public agitation, and residential power generation is seeing a significant uptick over the past two years.

It's like taking the idea that oil will eventually bounce back and applying it to another fossil fuel, but the mass demand for coal is intermediated by a power line which can have any arbitrary electrical generator on the other end, while the mass demand for petroleum has roughly 270 million internal combustion engines that would need to be outright replaced or converted buoying it.

I think coal consumption in the US has got a terminal illness and will be phased out as maintenance and regulatory costs slowly kill off the plants that don't convert.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I've seen a recent uptick in interest in Fischer–Tropsch technologies in the petroleum refining sector (basically turning gasified coal into transportation liquid) so there are still untapped potential uses for coal. But I agree, it seems like a loser the near and intermediate future at the minimum, at least in the US.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Coal is a play on natural gas increasing in cost and oil increasing in cost, so why not just invest in cheap oil and natural gas instead?

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I decided to jump on VISA just long, hoping for a similar Apple run up post-split. In on ATVI calls for 18/feb 27 @ 3.06. I think Hearthstone, holiday buys, and the new expansion sub numbers are gonna beat estimates.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I work for the power industry. Coal plants are closing and closing fast. Most of the ones that aren't closing are being converted to natural gas with coal as a backup/secondary fuel instead of oil.

It's your money, but between EPA regulations and where solar and wind will be in 5 years I would avoid the industry. If you have to invest in coal, I'd look for a company that has strong exports since most new coal plants are cropping up outside of the US.

The older plants are closing, perhaps not permanently, the newer ones are staying open, because the Carbon-scrubbing technology isn't theoretically 5+ years away, it already exists.

The USA gets roughly 50% of its electricity from coal, about the same as ALL OTHER FUELS COMBINED -which is massive, and impossible to immediately change.

add to this a dwindling coal surplus and the thin ice the EPA is on, and you've got potential investor upside the likes of which only comes around a couple times in a lifetime.

to hedge with foreign, KOL includes foreign coal and is pretty affordable

I'm sticking with the MIT guys...they're MIT guys.

EDIT: for those of you deeply entrenched, when I say MIT I don't mean mint corp

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 30, 2015

Chorman Plamp
Nov 23, 2004
I Craft War
Fun Shoe
What do you guys think about athx? I'm invested seems kind of sketchy though.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Erath posted:

What do you guys think about athx? I'm invested seems kind of sketchy though.

Genetics grad student here. I actually had the pleasure of attending a talk by Athersys's Chief Scientific Officer some time back which made me contemplate investing in the company, but I ultimately chose not to. My take home thoughts from said talk:
First off, they have succeeded in coming up with a way of basically mass-producing multipotent progenitor cells (not quite the totipotent stem cells most people think about when the phrase "stem cells" gets thrown around). These cells seem to have a beneficial immunomodulatory effect that reduces inflammation. They showed a number of results in mice that were compelling, however, as everyone knows having a successful therapy in mice is a long way from having something that works in people. With that said, this product (MultiStem) is their ONLY product. They have no pipeline, it's just trying to see if these cells are good for anything. They were looking at three different clinical conditions to see if their product could be clinically relevant:

1. Ulcerative Colitis -- an autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of the lower colon and rectum leading to ulcers and ultimately increased risk of colon cancer. Multistem did not show any benefit to treat this condition and when this result came out the stock tanked about 50% (red flag)
2. Wound healing -- following a spinal injury, supportive cells called astrocytes form a sort of scar that prevents neuronal regrowth. Presumably, altering the immune response might prevent this from happening. I did not get the feeling that research along these lines was anywhere close to paying off soon.
3. Immunomodulation following heart attack/stroke. While both heart attack and stroke are devastating clinical events, a lot of the lasting damage is done by the immune response following the event rather than the event itself. If MultiStem therapy poses some clinical benefit in these cases, everyone who had a heart attack or stroke could theoretically benefit from this. This is a potentially huge market and their best chance at success as a company.

The company is currently valued at about ~100M market cap so if #3 pays off it would easily be worth 10 times that or more. However based on the failure in #1 their therapy may just not work well in humans and the company would have zero value. It's extremely speculative but I hope this was a help in guiding your investing decisions.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I also work in the power industry. Solar will never pick up any significant percentage of the energy production mix. It is not a matter of capacity, but a matter of grid stability. Even in places where solar is widespread (Germany, 6-7%), they have to back up the solar capacity with thermal generation because it is so volatile. This leads them to energy surpluses. You might be able to use solar for peak shaving, but even then you will need the hard baseline sources to back it up in case it fails. How much carbon are you really saving if the boilers are up and running 100% of the time anyway? Everytime I hear about solar being the energy of the future I roll my eyes. It is ridiculously overhyped for 90% of the country and almost entirely dependent on government subsidies, regardless of how cheap China is making them.

I read a study from PJM a while ago about wind implementation. They said if we massively invested in wind farms in the midwest plains and offshore the jersey/delaware/MD coast, we might be able to push 30% grid capacity with numerous HVDC transmission lines connecting the two regions. However the grid infrastructure along would cost a half a trillion dollars and there is still no guarantee you would actually get the statistical diversity to decommission other sources.

BigBobio
May 1, 2009

Saint Fu posted:

I've seen a recent uptick in interest in Fischer–Tropsch technologies in the petroleum refining sector (basically turning gasified coal into transportation liquid) so there are still untapped potential uses for coal. But I agree, it seems like a loser the near and intermediate future at the minimum, at least in the US.

I would think a refiner would prefer to produce syngas from natural gas rather than gasified coal. The big integrated companies own lots of natural gas they'ld be more than happy to be able to convert to something higher valued than power plant feed. They don't own coal reserves. The gas boom is probably why there's a sudden increase in interest in FT technology. But Shell's experience in constructing their Qatar GTL plant is also giving the industry pause in building anymore.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
A lot of bond etfs are up 3% for the month, impressive. I moved my hsa and small 401k over to that at beginning of month from the other bs options we had (target date 70% weighted in russel 1k wtf?). Better to have piece of mind and when the 10 year isn't below 2% I'll move back.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I also work in the power industry. Solar will never pick up any significant percentage of the energy production mix. It is not a matter of capacity, but a matter of grid stability. Even in places where solar is widespread (Germany, 6-7%), they have to back up the solar capacity with thermal generation because it is so volatile. This leads them to energy surpluses. You might be able to use solar for peak shaving, but even then you will need the hard baseline sources to back it up in case it fails. How much carbon are you really saving if the boilers are up and running 100% of the time anyway? Everytime I hear about solar being the energy of the future I roll my eyes. It is ridiculously overhyped for 90% of the country and almost entirely dependent on government subsidies, regardless of how cheap China is making them.

I read a study from PJM a while ago about wind implementation. They said if we massively invested in wind farms in the midwest plains and offshore the jersey/delaware/MD coast, we might be able to push 30% grid capacity with numerous HVDC transmission lines connecting the two regions. However the grid infrastructure along would cost a half a trillion dollars and there is still no guarantee you would actually get the statistical diversity to decommission other sources.

You're still ignoring that coal is going down and that generation is rapidly being replaced with natural gas/oil dual fuel systems. Base load problems are currently and should remain being provided by nukes, but the media has ruined the option of replacing and expanding what we have and the future of our current supply is in question. Solar and wind combined with smart metering and a increase in high energy appliances being aware of LBMPs will drastically help with evening load pickup as well, so the marginal costs of generation are going down and it's the more efficient units that are running, most likely cogen plants.
Oh and even PJM is shutting killing a ton of generation in Pennsylvania which is mostly coal. it's also a good thing there are tons of investment projects going on for transmission improvements, and that even in the north east where it's cloudy and lovely most of the time, solar panels are economically viable due to the high generation costs that they face.

But whatever, it's all pretty speculative and probably depends on your background in the industry where you see things going. I know I see plenty of data on coal plant shut downs.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
bought ANR JAN 15 2016 1.00 C yesterday.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

pr0k posted:

history favors the bold, Sir. :tipshat:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

pr0k posted:

If any of those metallurgical coal companies rebound investors are in for massive profits. The risk of course is that the small guys all go bankrupt and the big players like BHP and Rio Tinto will be the last men standing.

WLT is dirt cheap, too, but it seems too risky.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Daedalus Esquire posted:

You're still ignoring that coal is going down and that generation is rapidly being replaced with natural gas/oil dual fuel systems. Base load problems are currently and should remain being provided by nukes, but the media has ruined the option of replacing and expanding what we have and the future of our current supply is in question. Solar and wind combined with smart metering and a increase in high energy appliances being aware of LBMPs will drastically help with evening load pickup as well, so the marginal costs of generation are going down and it's the more efficient units that are running, most likely cogen plants.
Oh and even PJM is shutting killing a ton of generation in Pennsylvania which is mostly coal. it's also a good thing there are tons of investment projects going on for transmission improvements, and that even in the north east where it's cloudy and lovely most of the time, solar panels are economically viable due to the high generation costs that they face.

But whatever, it's all pretty speculative and probably depends on your background in the industry where you see things going. I know I see plenty of data on coal plant shut downs.

I am by no means a proponent of coal and I agree that nuclear should pick up a lot of baseline capacity. However what I am seeing is coal being decommissioned due to the age and technology of the plants. They can't get new permits for new plants. Natural gas is picking up the slack due to the extremely cheap prices. In addition, overall electricity consumption is either flat or dropping due to conservation efforts began after the 2007 energy shock.

Gas turbines also have a quicker startup time, so they can theoretically facilitate a larger percentage of volatile renewables than a thermal steam turbine. However even then only it is only on a peak basis and only with the gas turbines mirroring the capacity. Also, if you look at the growth in solar, a good portion of installed capacity is in solar thermal, not photovoltaic.

Smart meters obviously help with controlling some volatility, but it won't get you to the point where distributed solar photovoltaic acts as standalone capacity. To put it in grid analysis terms, solar photovoltaic acts as a temporary reduction in a load bus, not an addition of generator bus.

Stoned Sheep
Jun 21, 2010

Noah posted:

I decided to jump on VISA just long, hoping for a similar Apple run up post-split. In on ATVI calls for 18/feb 27 @ 3.06. I think Hearthstone, holiday buys, and the new expansion sub numbers are gonna beat estimates.

I agree on ATVI, considering how well the street responded to EA any beat or raise in forecast could send it above 24

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
http://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-budget-fund-infrastructure-with-tax-on-firms-foreign-earnings-1422802103?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Interesting.

quote:

In the proposal that will be outlined in Mr. Obama’s fiscal 2016 budget on Monday, companies would be subject to a 14% tax on the up to $2 trillion of overseas earnings they have already accumulated, the official said. The money the new tax generates would be used to expand the Highway Trust Fund’s surface transportation reauthorization from four years to six years, the White House official said.

Mr. Obama is also proposing a 19% tax on all foreign earnings by U.S. companies as they are accumulated, the official said. Under the proposal, companies would then be able to reinvest those funds in the U.S. without paying an additional tax.

While I am sure Congress will balk at this, proposing a lower permanent tax rate for repatriated earnings is a step in the right direction. I think the conflict will be over the "mandatory" part.

The real question is what a mandatory tax on foreign earnings would do to equity valuations for a company which has heavily accumulated foreign cash/asset reserves.

LolitaSama
Dec 27, 2011
Can someone explain where Yahoo had its most early on success? Yahoo news, mail, or just ads from their search engine?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

LolitaSama posted:

Can someone explain where Yahoo had its most early on success? Yahoo news, mail, or just ads from their search engine?

Yahoo was proto-google. They helped fund a lot of the breakthroughs that allow google/modern search engines to operate.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

LolitaSama posted:

free mail + ads

I don't remember ever using their search engine in the early days

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

LolitaSama posted:

Broccoli Cat posted:

free mail + ads

Yahoo is also very big in a few foreign markets. They're barely holding on to dominance in Japan (~53% in 2013), and have 20%+ in a few other countries.

http://returnonnow.com/internet-marketing-resources/2013-search-engine-market-share-by-country/

edit: The Japanese really love a cluttered, ugly internet, it's the weirdest thing.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 1, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Inverse Icarus posted:

Yahoo is also very big in a few foreign markets. They're barely holding on to dominance in Japan (~53% in 2013), and have 20%+ in a few other countries.

http://returnonnow.com/internet-marketing-resources/2013-search-engine-market-share-by-country/

edit: The Japanese really love a cluttered, ugly internet, it's the weirdest thing.

:stare:

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
They love cluttered everything. Visit Akihabara sometime then watch late-night TV there. Jesus christ.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I suppose it's an adaptation. When I was in Tokyo it started to get to me. It was like the feeling of walking out of Penn Station, except it never ends; you keep walking out more Penn Stations, an infinite loop of endless people. I guess you'd have to embrace the claustrophobia.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
CSIQ :stare:

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002

Glad I got out at 21.25.

FreelanceSocialist fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 2, 2015

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

LolitaSama posted:

Yahoo was pre-search engine...it was a "directory." You would start there, and there would be categories where you would try to find what you wanted. I have no clue how they earned income (if they did at all), but it was a hot stock in the 90s.

All of solar seeing a big bounce today...wrote my first calls in a while against my CSIQ position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

Yahoo was pre-search engine...it was a "directory." You would start there, and there would be categories where you would try to find what you wanted. I have no clue how they earned income (if they did at all), but it was a hot stock in the 90s.
Yahoo Mail was also one of the two preeminent browser-based email services before Gmail, along with Hotmail.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 2, 2015