Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's wrong to change a game so that a strange man can shoot Nintendo characters with a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So I remember hearing that Samus (non-Zero Suit edition) is the worst character in Smash 4, but after playing as her for the past hour and a half, she's an absolute blast to play. The thing to remember is that her grab is bad, and her up-smash is bad, but as a whole she has a lot of fun options. In particular, nothing is as satisfying as Dash Attack into Up Air into Up Air into Up B. And being able to pepper the opponent with missiles until they let their guard down then blast them in the face with a full power Charge Shot is great as well. If you decide to try her out, make good use of her Up Tilt. It's seriously amazing, it's fast, covers a wide area, has strong knockback so it's a good kill move, and if you hit the opponent while they're standing it pops them straight up into the air where you can follow up with Samus' excellent aerial attacks. While most characters use a Down Throw to get their opponent in the air for combos, Samus is better suited to using a Dash Attack, Up Tilt, or Down Tilt for the job. I'm no master at using her or anything, but she's definitely fun and a nice change of pace from other characters.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

mycot posted:

If anything the people that hate it are the ones that think it's its own game since apparently some people didn't know it needs Brawl to work.

I mean more the kinda people who say things like "this is the best smash ever" like it's actually part of Official Smash Canon or whatever the gently caress

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

The derivative works deal is an agreement between Nintendo and Niconico, not a an open endorsement to do whatever the gently caress you want.

laplace posted:

They've literally gone out of their way not to modify things too intensely, for example the whole reason why the Brawl Tether is still in PM is that they would need to actively modify brawl's code in order to change it, so they opted not to switch it.

Now you're just making poo poo up. The reason they didn't change the tethers is because they don't know how. Hacking is hard.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Plasbad posted:

So I remember hearing that Samus (non-Zero Suit edition) is the worst character in Smash 4, but after playing as her for the past hour and a half, she's an absolute blast to play. The thing to remember is that her grab is bad, and her up-smash is bad, but as a whole she has a lot of fun options. In particular, nothing is as satisfying as Dash Attack into Up Air into Up Air into Up B. And being able to pepper the opponent with missiles until they let their guard down then blast them in the face with a full power Charge Shot is great as well. If you decide to try her out, make good use of her Up Tilt. It's seriously amazing, it's fast, covers a wide area, has strong knockback so it's a good kill move, and if you hit the opponent while they're standing it pops them straight up into the air where you can follow up with Samus' excellent aerial attacks. While most characters use a Down Throw to get their opponent in the air for combos, Samus is better suited to using a Dash Attack, Up Tilt, or Down Tilt for the job. I'm no master at using her or anything, but she's definitely fun and a nice change of pace from other characters.

I recommend playing against Pit or Greninja, and once your humiliation is complete, you can form a new opinion about how good Samus is in Smash 4.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

F. Lobot posted:

The derivative works deal is an agreement between Nintendo and Niconico, not a an open endorsement to do whatever the gently caress you want.

Now you're just making poo poo up. The reason they didn't change the tethers is because they don't know how. Hacking is hard.

They... have said multiple times it's way too much work and would require direct modification of the code. I'm sure the difficulty is part of it, but they've taken a huge stance about not touching or modifying brawl in any way in order to maintain the grey area they're operating in. There is a pretty big thread on Smashboards specifically about this.

Also, the agreement is not strictly between Niconico. At all, that is not what it says whatsoever, in the Japanese or the English. It was partnered with Dwango, but under the same clause people can now get away with far more than they used to be able to. The NicoNico partnership is there to prevent the same poo poo that happened during the Youtube fiasco a year ago, but it opens up derivative works into a much wider grey area.

Regardless, PM is a nonprofit fangame that is made separate from any of Nintendo's code. Aside from getting mad at them for endorsing softmodding Wiis, there really isn't anything Nintendo can do other than send a C&D, which won't help now that the game is way beyond playable and is well distributed.

edit:

To go deeper in depth about the Dwango thing, Nintendo essentially got added to their creative endorsements program, which is essentially a sanctioned lets-play program where people are able to make things and not get them taken down. This however is not an automatic process, and as a result there is a gap between endorsed and unendorsed products that can't really be moderated. This is where PM and other fan games (like Mother 4, for example) tend to lay -- in between endorsement and active ignorance.

The whole PM/Apex fiasco recently was related to Chibo releasing information about Nintendo's active ignorance, potentially endangering their financial situation/sponsorship. As of right now, it's clear that Nintendo is trying to get rid of PM streams without doing anything about PM, a thing that very conveniently coincided with the Creative Endorsement announcement.

Regardless, my point is that PM is pretty much in a big fat grey area legally. It's not going to get anyone in jail or fined at all, and by the current looks of things Nintendo is actively turning a blind eye towards If anything, all its done is help Nintendo, considering how it requires a copy of Brawl to play.

laplace fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 29, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love super smash bros. my favorite bro is robin because she is the prettiest and strongest.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Lemming posted:

I recommend playing against Pit or Greninja, and once your humiliation is complete, you can form a new opinion about how good Samus is in Smash 4.

Oh I know she'll never be top tier or anything even close, I just think she's fun to play as and felt like sharing some thoughts about her play style. She definitely does better against heavier characters than anything though.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I main Lucina because she's a cool character from a cool game and one of her palette swaps make she look kinda like Utena from my Japanese animes.

Still not sure of the best way to handle characters with spamable ranged attacks with her though. Trying to attack from above usually results in a shield block + grab or other punish or you have the charge through and eat the damage.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shield breaker can put some pressure on people who are relying on shielding your air approaches

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

I like Samus because people just don't know how to deal with her, expect her to be bad and automatically lose, and then get comboed into uair-uair-upb off the top kills.

I still play Sheik in Smash 4 but Samus is always and forever my smash waifu

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

my smash confession is that i can't handle samus, always lose when i fight one in for glory

i lost to a samus pretty decisively and then they switched to shiek and I won

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Here's a video of a guy kicking rear end with Lucina using his face

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

god brolylegs owns

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
why is brolylegs making out with a controller

and how is he winning?

Oh, he's disabled? Wowzers, I feel like an rear end. Incredible accomplishment.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Jan 29, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Holy gently caress I'm devoting myself to mastering Dancing Blade.

Is Lucina's dashing up smash secretly bad? It doesn't seem like that guy does it much.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

This man is better than I will ever be and he's playing with his face. :stare:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Holy gently caress I'm devoting myself to mastering Dancing Blade.

Is Lucina's dashing up smash secretly bad? It doesn't seem like that guy does it much.

i mean he's playing with his face so who knows what options are easily available to him here

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Huh, didn't know Broly played Smash. Usually a SF4 guy.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
update just dropped, WHATS IN THE BOX

e: 202MB patch

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Some kind of smash update just launched, my game's updating as I type this.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
heres some patch notes in japanese, google had this to say:

quote:

8 people brawl dedicated stage I added 15 species . It is is the following stage became to be able to new use .
[ Normal Stage ]
Mario Circuit (X)
Luigi's Mansion
Pyro Sphere
Norufea
Rye rat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Village and town
Suma Village
Wii Fit studio
[ End point of stage ]
Mario Galaxy
Mario Circuit (X)
Cave Battle
Rye rat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Village and town
※ It also includes stage that appears later in accordance with the progress of the game .
※ 8 people brawl dedicated stage , there is a difference , such as does not move part of the gimmick as compared with four brawl stage .
In addition, as who can play comfortably the game, was fixed some of the problems .

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Owns

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

so more 8 player stages and hopefully 'a more pleasant gaming experience'

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

more 8 player stages is a very good update, there were way too few before

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ruggington posted:

'a more pleasant gaming experience'

whatever that means

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

replays still work so there's nothing changed about the gameplay. i'm betting on some ui changes

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

so apparently you can grab sheik right out of her fsmash, that's good to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S_28XzGt2A&hd=1

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mabels big day posted:

And I don't think most people who play Rosalina or ZSS actually like or appreciate their characters outside of smash, mostly because they don't have much likeability outside of smash

This post is from a couple pages back but it's really hosed up. Rosalina and Samus are both cool and neat.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

I finally did it. 100% completion of this game! I'm so happy! Clearing Classic at 9.0 without dying was hard as hell. I used Bowser loaded up with offense, and an auto-healer ability, but it took forever because of the randomness that is Classic. Inarguably the most frustrating thing I've ever done in a game.

The only other challenge I was worried about was getting all the headgear. Thankfully, I got all but 2 of them through just playing the game normally (grinding for custom moves, Trophy Rush, All-Star, Classic, etc.). The last two I got through Crazy Orders, and oddly enough, from an amiibo. To anyone trying to 100% the game, I recommend getting at least 8 amiibos.

You set up a 99 stock match. Set the launch rate to 2.0, set the handicap on everyone to 300%, put them on an Omega stage, set Bob-Ombs to high, and...profit. If I didn't already have everything else, I'm sure this would be the most brain-dead way to collect money, moves, trophies, and costumes. I dreaded grinding for that last hat, but Donkey Kong got it for me on the second match.

Feels good, man. Now, on to getting my rear end kicked at For Glory!

For those curious, the challenges I used my hammers on: Clear Solo Classic in 12 minutes on intensity 9.0 with Marth (probably could have done this, but meh), Clear All-Star on Hard with all characters (hahah, gently caress no), Clear Crazy Orders after 20 or more turns while playing as Mario (really regret wasting a hammer on this), Clear Classic at intensity 9.0 without any customizations (probably could have done this too), Clear All-Star on hard difficulty with 8 or more characters (also gently caress no.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

※ 8 people brawl dedicated stage , there is a difference , such as does not move part of the gimmick as compared with four brawl stage .
In addition, as who can play comfortably the game, was fixed some of the problems .

So basically the hazards are handled by invisible player character slots? Would explain why a couple hazards don't show up in All-Star mode, since the 'slots' would be taken up by the character spawners.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

zolthorg posted:

So basically the hazards are handled by invisible player character slots? Would explain why a couple hazards don't show up in All-Star mode, since the 'slots' would be taken up by the character spawners.

Either that or it got laggy and fps dropped

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

zolthorg posted:

Err, no, it means that 8 players and items and all those effects and particles and poo poo would cause a dip in the frame rate when the hazards were also doing their thing.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

mycot posted:

If anything the people that hate it are the ones that think it's its own game since apparently some people didn't know it needs Brawl to work.

Is it still piracy if I run a PM injected Brawl ISO off a HDD if I also own two physical copies of Brawl itself?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Treebeh posted:

Is it still piracy if I run a PM injected Brawl ISO off a HDD if I also own two physical copies of Brawl itself?

Did you rip that Brawl ISO yourself?

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Wild Knight posted:

I have taken quite a shine to Shulk but I never finished his game because it's so loving LONG. Awesome as gently caress but so, so long.

So I'm just gonna go ahead with the seppuku over here

You've brought shame and dishonor to this internet forum. However I too am guilty of not finishing Xenoblade Chronicles. I got about 80 hours in when GTAV came out and I got sidetracked and never returned. It is for this reason I have not picked up Shulk as my main. I am not worthy to puppet his supple toned limbs.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

laplace posted:

Regardless, PM is a...fangame that is made separate from any of Nintendo's code.

:psyduck:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't know or care what that discussion is about, all I know is project m is a fun fast game

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

I don't know or care what that discussion is about, all I know is project m is a fun fast game

PM is made by a bunch of thieves who just copy-pasted all of brawls code and then sabotaged it. Putting it on your wii means you are going to jail forever and the creators are wanted by interpol. It irreversibly changes nintendo's code and sakurai's vision. Nothing in PM is its own at all, and the people who made it are hacks who are trying to ruin smash brothers.

It also wrecks every brawl disc it touches and kicks your puppy. Project M is literally the devil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

laplace posted:

PM is made by a bunch of thieves who just copy-pasted all of brawls code and then sabotaged it. Putting it on your wii means you are going to jail forever and the creators are wanted by interpol. It irreversibly changes nintendo's code and sakurai's vision. Nothing in PM is its own at all, and the people who made it are hacks who are trying to ruin smash brothers.

It also wrecks every brawl disc it touches and kicks your puppy. Project M is literally the devil.

I can only imagine how these people react to stuff like the League of Legends mods for dota or the A Song of Ice and Fire mod for Crusader Kings (TWO piracies at once!) Or the mod that recreates the entirety of Fallout 3 into Fallout New Vegas.

mycot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 29, 2015

• Locked thread