Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DancingShade posted:

One of the best tips for a new person is save all those special token things you get for completing quests. Once you have like... 40? or 60? I forget. Anyway, make a beeline for the trailer park in Blue Mountain and buy yourself a QL6 blue weapon or two.

That makes everything in those starting zones super easy.

Ohshit, I didn't do that! And I just got to Blue Mountain. Darn.

Then again I didn't buy much, mostly used crafting instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Goddamn Ak'ab make me just not want to bother. I love the game but gently caress the vertical difficulty curve of blue mountain.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Goddamn Ak'ab make me just not want to bother. I love the game but gently caress the vertical difficulty curve of blue mountain.

I personally skipped the majority of Blue Mountain until after I finished the story missions and was QL10. I remember that I felt Blue Mountain was annoying and that my experience was sloggish, so I just focused on the story missions and made my way to Egypt. I personally believe that the first zone in Egypt is easier than Blue Mountain, if only because you don't get face stomped by chains of Ak'ab and other filth monsters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did they ever patch akab to stop chasing you?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Len posted:

Did they ever patch akab to stop chasing you?

They patched that in the Tyler Freeborn patch I think.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HughGRect posted:

I personally skipped the majority of Blue Mountain until after I finished the story missions and was QL10. I remember that I felt Blue Mountain was annoying and that my experience was sloggish, so I just focused on the story missions and made my way to Egypt. I personally believe that the first zone in Egypt is easier than Blue Mountain, if only because you don't get face stomped by chains of Ak'ab and other filth monsters.

This was pretty much my experience, too. If you find yourself having trouble with Blue Mountain, including the Blue Mountain story quests, you can actually head for Egypt early. The initial Agartha portal to the Scorched Desert (And the Besieged Farmlands, but I highly recommend NOT going to Transylvania before you gear up to QL10) is open to you. This does put you in the mildly strange position of potentially getting introduced to people you've already done quests for, but hey, that's life as a magic bee person.

For new people, I'd actually recommend doing some PVP. You'll be terrible at it, but if your team is good enough (Like if you join Fusang while at least two flags are your color) you can clear two of the quests (The Anima Well quest is easy, the facility quest requires finding trouble on the map, and you can't clear the murder quest at low level. Just can't.) which pay in Black Marks of Venice, idle for 1000 White Marks of Venice, exchange those for Black Marks at one of several vendors in your faction HQ, and be about halfway to affording a QL10 weapon. El Dorado can also be done low-level, but that's more up to luck whether you get a good team or not. I just follow a dude with an idol and do the Macarena when he stops.

And personally I didn't mind the ak'ab. Much. Found them creepy as hell from the first time I spotted them atop a hill in Savage Coast right up until I did League of Monster Slayers (Which came a while later). But I found them a slightly punishing lesson in "Watch your surroundings, only pull one thing."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I didn't have any trouble with blue mountains other than not thinking the first bridge was actually full of zombies.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nowadays the only part of BM I actively hate is the Moon Bog. Seriously gently caress that place.

IIRC I also did the zone just enough to go through the story (including my favourite "stumble around in a dark mine" missions - both of them :argh: ) then left for Egypt. But that wasn't really because of the difficulty, but because I'm not a fan of zombies and I've had enough of the filth by then.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I loved Blue Mountain, and all of the Island actually, Egypt on other hand really put me off - the only reason I kept rolling is the atmosphere of imminent treachery the feeling like poo poo is just going to crumble any moment.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

orcane posted:

Nowadays the only part of BM I actively hate is the Moon Bog. Seriously gently caress that place.

IIRC I also did the zone just enough to go through the story (including my favourite "stumble around in a dark mine" missions - both of them :argh: ) then left for Egypt. But that wasn't really because of the difficulty, but because I'm not a fan of zombies and I've had enough of the filth by then.

Moon Bog is an absolute pain in the rear end to get through with all those shadow monsters and their many pulls but it's also filled with the only kind of zombies I actually kind of like in a setting. Listening to some of the things they mutter in that area is a little bit unsettling. "No no no please I don't want to do this it's making me do this I can't stop why won't it let me stop" as they charge over to bash your head in.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pesterchum posted:

Moon Bog is an absolute pain in the rear end to get through with all those shadow monsters and their many pulls but it's also filled with the only kind of zombies I actually kind of like in a setting. Listening to some of the things they mutter in that area is a little bit unsettling. "No no no please I don't want to do this it's making me do this I can't stop why won't it let me stop" as they charge over to bash your head in.

Insane mutterings is why I really liked Egypt even though it wasn't as classic Lovecraft as the first 3 zones. All those Aten cultists chanting about digging in filth and so on, great atmosphere.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I liked the first Egypt zone much more than all of Solomon Island, I'm just not a huge zombies fan. City of the Sun God sucked though.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Pesterchum posted:

Even creepier are the ones that just kind of ramble about something mundane but faster and faster as they go to fight you. Like the one who just talks about how she can't find her keys and gets more and panicked about her keys as the fight goes on. :ohdear:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wheres the mumble button gone?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

orcane posted:

I liked the first Egypt zone much more than all of Solomon Island, I'm just not a huge zombies fan. City of the Sun God sucked though.

City of the sun god was a great zone, circle once and your done pretty sweet. I thought it was really fast for wrapping by up that story though.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I haven't played since before Tokyo. Have any of the new updates or issues improved PvP at all?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think a thing has ever happened to PVP.

Well except at some point Fusang gained a limit on the number of players per faction in the instance so it never gets too out of control with swarms of 50 Illuminati chasing down 3 Templars or whatever. You'll still get your poo poo wrecked in seconds by someone in 10.4 and better ping though, so good luck.

One day I'll grit my teeth and wade into there so I can get enough tokens to upgrade my rifle to 10.2. It's just not a priority right now.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Drinkfist is a penis

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

To all you shitlords in this thread.

The game is dead. Its a single player game that only updates once every two years now.

Play the game by yourself and enjoy the story. This is a single player game that just happens to be multiplayer.

All 4 or 5 of the goons still playing this game have Stockholm Syndrome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Drinkfist posted:

The game is dead. Its a single player game that only updates once every two years now.

Play the game by yourself and enjoy the story. This is a single player game that just happens to be multiplayer.

It got two issues and two content packs in 2014! That's almost as good as it's 2013 number of three issues and a content pack. Arguably better since Issue 8 came out in 2013.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Drinkfist posted:

How true is this?
I'm still new enough to have no clue :(

To be honest, I think the game is pretty good so far... :unsmith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

And don't forget that riveting six month long event Whispering Tide! Riveting! RIVETING!!! :argh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How empty the game is makes it nice. Real thrilling to be one of hundreds killing mobs. Way cooler when there are just a few people. Average population for a non-main stream mmo.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?

The game is pretty easy. You just open up a wiki and follow its instructions for every mission.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?

I never said the game was bad. The Secret World is a great game. Its just not strong with the multiplayer aspects.

The dungeons are great for a few runs and have some great mechanics but other than the dungeons you have almost no incentive to play with other people in this game.

It is a fun challenging single player game that somehow ended up as an mmo.

Funcom is treading deep water and is in full damage control mode. They have no more resources to make any new games for any platform higher than the mobile market. All that is holding that company together is their three MMOs and they no longer have the teams to keep the content flowing. The Tokyo play area was all mapped out and had a rough art pass when the first issue dropped. But when their company took massive hits the whole zone took years to finish. And even with the release of Tokyo issue they still have left out the other half of the zone with the Orachi Tower.

I bought a Lifetime sub day one of this game and still consider it a good investment because I love the loving game. I will still pop back in when there is more storyline to play but as it stands it is a long way away before we see anything in terms of big content patches come from them when they spent a few years doing cheap recycled poo poo events and some 1 to 2 hour long mission packs. We are never gonna see the Lost World, Atlantis, or any of the odd ended art assets they made for other cool poo poo unless they somehow recover. They already dropped some of the art assets from the previously mentioned in Tokyo for terrible tie ins. (That loving gorilla was supposed to be in the Lost World(We are never gonna see that T Rex)).

So yeah but it and play it but expect nothing past what is already there.

The reason I made that post is because Scud/TheRat donated to the offsite that is totally loving dead and should be removed from the first post. I left some Aussies in charge because they buy one game as if they paid for a car over there and play it till death. Apparently they just let it sit there hoping it worked like geocities.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
SW is a very fun single-player or online-enabled small group game for most of its runtime, based more on its investigations, lore, and achievements/collectibles/Pretty Pretty Princess Dress-Up Simulator and not on its combat, though the more free form ability wheel allows for some novelty. As an MMO it is fun for about ten hours (normal dungeons, so spread across the playtime, not continuous, slow for another ten (elite dungeons), bad but progrssively better for about 100 hours (gearing up for Nightmare dungeons), good for another 10 or 30 hours (Nightmare dungeons, maybe a raid or three), then bad forever.

Drinkfist is absolutely right about the content; it comes out at a trickle if at all, though it's usually good when it does. There has been no new multiplayer content in forever, except scenarios, which are actually worse than nothing; I'm not confident there will ever be new dungeons. Most of the player base is insufferable and/or twelve. The game is absolutely worth playing, even now, but it's not a game like WoW that you'll see yourself playing for years and years.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?

Like I told you in game, this is the best SPMMORPG.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Sometimes I wish I would have gone with my gut feeling about the thread title: The Secret World: 2012 Single Player Online Game of the Year.

The single player content is fun and worth logging in once year for a long weekend of catchup missions.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

revenance posted:

Like I told you in game, this is the best SPMMORPG.

You are the only person I have spoken to while playing this game. Other than seeing the occassional person grinding, it really is a single player game.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

guppy posted:

There has been no new multiplayer content in forever, except scenarios, which are actually worse than nothing; I'm not confident there will ever be new dungeons.

I miss Nightmare Crew.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There must be someone fighting over these PVP spots that keep switching hands as I very very slowly play through the early parts of the game an hour at an time whenever I can manage to squeeze some time for it.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

Drinkfist posted:

The reason I made that post is because Scud/TheRat donated to the offsite that is totally loving dead and should be removed from the first post. I left some Aussies in charge because they buy one game as if they paid for a car over there and play it till death. Apparently they just let it sit there hoping it worked like geocities.

Dawg I paid for like a year of sub, in which time there were probably around 10 page views.

But yeah, the link should probably be removed from the OP like you said. I'll switch it to the free mode next time it lapses, just in case someone wants to look at all the threads about white cisgender males being sub-human scum.

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 29, 2015

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
#noobmares still works for getting entertaining solid groups together and I actively enjoy every drat dungeon in the game. Shame it's not super packed but the game still works out to be fun as gently caress in most any sector. Also the story is drat good and I've yet to find a better in a mmorpg.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

KetTarma posted:

How true is this?
Very. It becomes a lot more apparent at "max level" when you try to play the game with any degree of seriousness.

That said, the story still owns bones. TSW has what is probably the best MMO story out there (not that there's a lot of competition), and it's worth buying the box for the single player portion at the least.

In other news, I am dipping my toe into this silly game again. Currently leveling a Dragon char... who in that cabal still plays that I can hassle for an invite?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish you could take an advanced character back through your faction story missions from the start. So many good moments.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MonsieurChoc posted:

There must be someone fighting over these PVP spots that keep switching hands as I very very slowly play through the early parts of the game an hour at an time whenever I can manage to squeeze some time for it.

Yeah, usually there's a few dozen people in PVP all told. Yesterday I had the dubious honor of being the only Dragon in Fusang.

If those notifications get too spammy for you, you can right-click the chat window and turn them off.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I reinstalled and finished the girl who kicked the vampire nest quest. Uninstalled to try ESo during the sale and all my equipment got broke. Shops are pretty rare in the game.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

In ESO or TSW? If you mean TSW, there's more shops than you think. A lot of times, a "shop" is just a guy or two standing around somewhere random, without it being immediately obvious that they're vendors unless you get closer and see the use prompt. They are shown on the minimap, though.

Ideally you'd be able to sell/repair at any sentient quest-giver, but alas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

DancingShade posted:

I just wish you could take an advanced character back through your faction story missions from the start. So many good moments.

With the changes to the main quest that came with issue 9, you should, if i recall, be able to go to your faction headquarters and accept the faction missions somewhere in there? They made a big thing of the change to how the main story missions worked when it launched, i could have sworn that was one of the highlights of that.

• Locked thread