Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does anyone have a recommendation where to get some Dry Aged Prime Rib online for personal use? I was looking at LaFrieda and its going to be 111.00$ minimum for 2 16oz steaks (including next day shipping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Naelyan posted:

there's no way anyone that can figure out how to tie their shoes can't come to the conclusion "get TWO spoons!" all on their own.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goodness posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation where to get some Dry Aged Prime Rib online for personal use? I was looking at LaFrieda and its going to be 111.00$ minimum for 2 16oz steaks (including next day shipping).

Buy prime rib and age it yourself. It is remarkably simple.

Pretty much just wrap it in a layer of paper towels and leave it on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours. Remove towels, wrap in new ones, flip it over, rest another 24 hours. Done.

Rockzilla posted:

I've never tried it with bearnaise but a half teaspoon of xanthan gum blended into a couple of litres of beurre blanc makes it unbreakable.

I have done this with beurre blanc, bernaise, and hollandaise and can confirm it works wonderfully. You may need to thin it out the next day if you refrigerate it over night and plan to reuse it however.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 26, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

FrancoFish posted:

Buy prime rib and age it yourself. It is remarkably simple.

Pretty much just wrap it in a layer of paper towels and leave it on a rack in the fridge for 24 hours. Remove towels, wrap in new ones, flip it over, rest another 24 hours. Done.

I have done this with beurre blanc, bernaise, and hollandaise and can confirm it works wonderfully. You may need to thin it out the next day if you refrigerate it over night and plan to reuse it however.

I doubt that will be equal to the funkiness aging imparts. I let my steaks rest in the fridge for a day when I make them anyway, to help the salt absorb not to age it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goodness posted:

I doubt that will be equal to the funkiness aging imparts. I let my steaks rest in the fridge for a day when I make them anyway, to help the salt absorb not to age it.

I've done this personally, and it is great. It isn't EXACTLY the same as a long dry aging process, but it isn't different enough to make enough of a...difference?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

goodness posted:

Do it for a week.

slimskinny
Apr 2, 2005

One cool taco...
Any widwest goon chefs know some sweet farms?

slimskinny fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 26, 2015

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

goodness posted:

If you want your beef to taste of game, why not just get some game? Dry Aged Prime Rib is such a gimmick.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Biomute posted:

If you want your beef to taste of game, why not just get some game? Dry Aged Prime Rib is such a gimmick.

gently caress that, aging beef is not a gimmick.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Biomute posted:

Shut up, literally. Just. Shut. The. gently caress. Up.

Thanks for making GBS threads on my passion, fuckhead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

slimskinny posted:

Any widwest goon chefs know some sweet farms?

What kind of farms?

Local to Iowa, I'm a huge fan of The Berry Patch up in Nevada for pretty much anything berry-shaped they'll sell, especially blueberries. Their black raspberries are great too. I used to go through a ton of them.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Recently walked into walk-in cooler to find head chef in there muttering to himself, and he did not notice me and so I got to watch it build from a mumble to a full fledged scream! "calm...calm down, calm down, calm calm calm CALM CALM gently caress gently caress gently caress. WHY SO MUCH STRESS!" and so on and so on. did I do the right thing by slowly walking out and not saying anything whatsoever, at all?

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Simoom posted:

Recently walked into walk-in cooler to find head chef in there muttering to himself, and he did not notice me and so I got to watch it build from a mumble to a full fledged scream! "calm...calm down, calm down, calm calm calm CALM CALM gently caress gently caress gently caress. WHY SO MUCH STRESS!" and so on and so on. did I do the right thing by slowly walking out and not saying anything whatsoever, at all?

I mean, unless you want him to hate you, yeah.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Simoom posted:

I can relate to him in the same situation, happened just today when there is proof the new workers have absolutely zero training and a case of the blind helping the blind. The supervisor is out until Wednesday and I am going to tell her that the new meat needs training that I could provide for free since this is not good for my mental or financial health and it spreads to coworkers.

Having it happen on my birthday is the salt on the wound.

gyrobot fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 27, 2015

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Some rear end in a top hat alcoholic piece of poo poo cook knocked over 10 gallons of lamb stock and 2 gallons of cherry reduction in the walk-in last night and didn't clean it up or even tell anyone. I found it this morning when I came in to do prep. The resulting mess smelled like fetid hobo shoes, and was at once sticky, slimy, and gloopy. Took an hour to clean up, and it's only 5am. I still have 7 hours on my shift. I'm gonna have to burn these pants.

And then I get to go to my second job at the headshop next door. My life is a joke.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

fizzymercy posted:

Some rear end in a top hat alcoholic piece of poo poo cook knocked over 10 gallons of lamb stock and 2 gallons of cherry reduction
If I did that, I would probably just walk out and never come back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
But first let it cool enough to write an apology in it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I would have appreciated if he'd done either of those things. Instead he showed up two hours late for work smelling like day old lamb stock. I don't know what happened after that, but he went home mad. I get to do his work on top of mine now. gently caress that guy.

Edit: He gets two days off to "think about his problems". I sincerely wish that fuckhead nothing but the slowest tire-fire death possible.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 27, 2015

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fizzymercy posted:

I would have appreciated if he'd done either of those things. Instead he showed up two hours late for work smelling like day old lamb stock. I don't know what happened after that, but he went home mad. I get to do his work on top of mine now. gently caress that guy.

Edit: He gets two days off to "think about his problems". I sincerely wish that fuckhead nothing but the slowest tire-fire death possible.

holy poo poo, are you even serious.

if knocking over 10 gallons of lamb stock without cleaning it up isn't grounds for immediate firing, certainly showing up late and then pissing off home on top of it would be an insti-fire. and I feel like those standards would be pretty lenient?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
You're right, he was insta-fired, I just believed him when he told everyone the boss man loved him too much for that. He got sent home to think about what he did, and he can come back in two days to pick up his last check. I was angry enough to irrationally believe that my boss is that stupid. I blame the cherrylamb fumes.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fizzymercy posted:

You're right, he was insta-fired, I just believed him when he told everyone the boss man loved him too much for that. He got sent home to think about what he did, and he can come back in two days to pick up his last check. I was angry enough to irrationally believe that my boss is that stupid. I blame the cherrylamb fumes.

two life lessons you need to take away from this :

a. don't immediately assume responsibility for other people's fuckups. walking in on 12 gallons of poo poo spilled in the walkin is time for repeated 5am calls to your superior until they pick up and handle the poo poo. I mean, how do you know there wasn't some leak in the walkin? is the equipment working properly? you're in to prep - and you can't prep! there's a problem. not your problem. (said not in a dismissive way at all - I mean if someone asks you directly to help clean up poo poo, help clean up poo poo - but it's worth pointing out to your superiors that something is seriously not right, and that it delayed your completion of whatever task, and that it's not ok. If someone asks you why you didn't just start cleaning it up - well, you were worried that it might be something more serious than just a spill? coolant leaking? wanted to make sure management saw what happened first hand, etc?)

b. don't ever believe anything anyone ever says ever

:)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Okay, I needed to hear both of those things. I knew better than to just start cleaning, but I still didn't handle the situation appropriately at all. I could tell I was probably being a gently caress-up the whole day, couldn't put my finger on why though.

Thanks man. I'll be less of a whining toddler and handle my own bullshit next time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fizzymercy posted:

Okay, I needed to hear both of those things. I knew better than to just start cleaning, but I still didn't handle the situation appropriately at all. I could tell I was probably being a gently caress-up the whole day, couldn't put my finger on why though.

Thanks man. I'll be less of a whining toddler and handle my own bullshit next time.

you aren't being a whining toddler at all. I mean taking it upon yourself to clean that poo poo up is commendable.

you're just probably being too hard on yourself, and should have a little more self respect. otherwise you'll just have all this resentment build up and be making dagger eyes at mr. drunk mcdoesntgiveafuck or mr. manages poorly while they're like 'what, poo poo got cleaned, what's the problem?' next time this happens

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

mindphlux posted:

a. don't immediately assume responsibility for other people's fuckups. walking in on 12 gallons of poo poo spilled in the walkin is time for repeated 5am calls to your superior until they pick up and handle the poo poo. I mean, how do you know there wasn't some leak in the walkin? is the equipment working properly? you're in to prep - and you can't prep! there's a problem. not your problem. (said not in a dismissive way at all - I mean if someone asks you directly to help clean up poo poo, help clean up poo poo - but it's worth pointing out to your superiors that something is seriously not right, and that it delayed your completion of whatever task, and that it's not ok. If someone asks you why you didn't just start cleaning it up - well, you were worried that it might be something more serious than just a spill? coolant leaking? wanted to make sure management saw what happened first hand, etc?)

Speaking as someone who's actually in charge of a restaurant, this is pretty dreadful advice and is a good way to get on your bosses poo poo list really quick. Call them and let them know, sure, but if you ignore the mess to make me come in and clean it then you're just drawing a target on your back, even if you're not actually the root of the problem.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crazy Larry posted:

Speaking as someone who's actually in charge of a restaurant, this is pretty dreadful advice and is a good way to get on your bosses poo poo list really quick. Call them and let them know, sure, but if you ignore the mess to make me come in and clean it then you're just drawing a target on your back, even if you're not actually the root of the problem.

That depends entirely on the setup of the restaurant and what was supposed to be getting done in the morning. If my prep guy comes in at 5 to find a giant fuckoff mess and spends a couple hours cleaning it until I get in at 8 when he should have been blanching fries and braising beef for lunch or whateverthefuck, and now my lunch service is sunk because we have no prep and not enough time to do it, I'm going to be loving pissed.

Though, as someone who also actually runs a restaurant, there is a zero percent chance that I wouldn't pick up my phone when an employee called at that time of the morning so that I could tell them what to do and not have them guessing. Mindphlux makes a pretty valid point as well that Random Prep Kid #3 may or may not have any idea what he's looking for if there is indeed a leak in the cooler and now he's adding mopwater to the floor and poo poo's just getting more hosed up. Who knows. Always, ALWAYS, when in doubt, ask your loving manager before you do stuff that's out of the ordinary.

That said, yeah, if the manager picks up his phone and says to clean the poo poo up, clean the poo poo up (obviously).

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Mindphlux made a valid point, and you're right about it from the eyes of the owner.

I called and my boss told me to clean it fast enough not to gently caress up prep for the day. I don't touch a giant fuckoff mess until the boss says so. More from hoping someone else will have to do it than anything else. Seems prudent. Where I hosed up was not pointing out that I couldn't clean it all and remake stock and poo poo that wasn't on the list in time. I looked lame for even trying to do all of it. Time management isn't my strong suit, and I'm bad at speaking up when it'll gently caress me. Nobody likes that guy, I need to be better at it.

I guess I didn't gently caress up too bad, I got an extra shift and a tiny raise today. I mean, I get that they're covering for Alcholic Chefbro but it felt good :):

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 29, 2015

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Yeah, I'm not saying you shouldn't call your boss or whatever, but don't feed them some bullshit about not knowing if it's a coolant leak or whatever when you very well know it's 10 gallons of lamb stock. I'd rather deal with someone walking me up and bitching up a storm about the dumbshit who left the mess rather then deal with some passive aggressive nonsense about not wanting to clean up a giant mess because "there's a problem. not your problem".

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Welp, I did it, made it to Cat Chain where I live in Seattle now. Stuck on a dude's couch until I raise enough scratch to get a place of my own, and Cat Chain is not helping with that, even with vastly improved minimum wage. They played wordgames and lied to me when they said they needed some backwaiting help since half their staff quit over the holidays; instead I get one serving shift a week and a shitload of backwait shifts and a smug reply of "Well we TOLD you you'd be a backwaiter". I need to find a new place to work, I'm tired of being praised for being a good worker and not getting poo poo for it. Granted it's hard since I don't want to risk a new gig until I know where I'm living so I don't end up with a two hour commute, but still, goddamn.

That plus the Microsoft parties with the legions of low-tipping jerkwads isn't doing anyone any favors. Got the pleasure of seeing some poor bastard get his entire arm lambasted with hot grease last night, too. All the same, I'm so much happier here than on the east coast.

EDIT: As an aside, God save you who live in Seattle or in Massachusetts and have to work this Sunday. I can only imagine the bloodshed that'll go down at the sports bars. It was already carnage last Sunday when the clutch victory came out of nowhere. I was on break going down the street and there was suddenly screaming everywhere like it was the end times and every single bar was packed within the hour.

Black August fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 29, 2015

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
The places I'd check out are any of the Tom Douglas restaurants, McCormick and Schmidt, the metropolitan grill, the Brooklyn, the Rainier club, maybe the pyramid brewery by Safeco. Of course you have the cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chris. Whatever you do stay away from the steelhead diner, assaggio, and the pink door. They are nothing more than mismanaged sweatshops and I still want to burn all the places down. Keep in mind that anything near the water and pike place is going to get retarded busy during the summer so April and May would be a good time to start sniffing around in those areas. Also keep it in mind that those places lay off 3/4 of their staff when the weather gets lovely again. Either be the best and keep your 25 hours a week over the winter or be looking to work somewhere else.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I appreciate the recs. I hear that breweries are a good way to go -- it's a hateful thing when I struggle to make a $100 in one very long shift, and some dude tells me he popped $450 in one weekend at a brewery job. I'm fine with retarded busy too, it's what I'm used to. They didn't seem to believe me when I told them I was used to running 8 tables at once with a bad kitchen until they tossed me on the floor and told me they were surprised at how well I did, even if I felt like I did pretty shoddy. My friend jokes that the west coast is just slow and doesn't have the work ethic of good old puritan MA, but I don't give a poo poo about that kind of dickwaving, I just want the hours and tips.

I guess another thing I'm salty about is that I was going to qualify for benefits after my one year, but they tossed that and said I have to wait until November enrollment time. Soooooo that was a huge waste.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Black August posted:

EDIT: As an aside, God save you who live in Seattle or in Massachusetts and have to work this Sunday. I can only imagine the bloodshed that'll go down at the sports bars. It was already carnage last Sunday when the clutch victory came out of nowhere. I was on break going down the street and there was suddenly screaming everywhere like it was the end times and every single bar was packed within the hour.

Phoenix-metro is a loving shitshow this week as well since we have the usual golf tournament stuff happening on top of SB49 and the yearly business convention/snowbird season. At least the Barrett-Jackson people have mostly headed home, after spending some sweet, sweet moneys. :shepicide: Earlier this week some of the SB49 related people were drunkenly vomiting into their glasses at downtown cocktail lounges, as a country musicfest crowd were setting off fire hydrants outside. It can only get worse and there's no part of the Valley, within a 40-mile radius, that isn't being invaded by some kind of spectacle creating, shrieking horde.

Next week I am definitely buying an additional round or two of drinks for the survivors among my industry acquaintances.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Black August posted:

My friend jokes that the west coast is just slow and doesn't have the work ethic of good old puritan MA, but I don't give a poo poo about that kind of dickwaving, I just want the hours and tips.

I think the younger generation is just more lazy in general and probably has nothing to do with the region, but everyone could be stoned here too

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Phoenix-metro is a loving shitshow this week as well since we have the usual golf tournament stuff happening on top of SB49 and the yearly business convention/snowbird season. At least the Barrett-Jackson people have mostly headed home, after spending some sweet, sweet moneys. :shepicide: Earlier this week some of the SB49 related people were drunkenly vomiting into their glasses at downtown cocktail lounges, as a country musicfest crowd were setting off fire hydrants outside. It can only get worse and there's no part of the Valley, within a 40-mile radius, that isn't being invaded by some kind of spectacle creating, shrieking horde.

Next week I am definitely buying an additional round or two of drinks for the survivors among my industry acquaintances.

Do it after AZ cocktail week. Gonna be a dumpster fire.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Uncle Lizard posted:

I think the younger generation is just more lazy in general and probably has nothing to do with the region, but everyone could be stoned here too

Ehhhh, I don't buy into that. I see plenty of kids working just fine and plenty of olds going slow. Might just be regional attitudes. Or being stoned. Good God the stench of some tables. One dude had to take 2 minutes to ask me, very confused, if we served chicken and if the portions would be enough to feed me. Not him, but me.

I'll say this though, I'm living in a dry house right now and I'm very happy to ditch that as my industry cure-all for the occasional now-legal treat here.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
So an update on the greenhorn new girl.

My boss decided that having been burnt out on monday decided she would rather see me give advice than train her personally.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hahahah 10 gallons of lamb stock and 2 gallons of cherry reduction what the gently caress. That's mise for days and days of service. Jesus Christ.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
My F&B director writes and speaks in the absolute worst broken english ever. And instead of being direct about issues(in this case, my absolutely boring recaps, because nothing of note happens most of the time), he passive aggressively emails me and chef poo poo like "I would like to see more feedback; we implement a new menu, what our saying? How the food come out? Timeliness of service? What is selling and not...................?"

Instead of just telling me he wants those things in my recaps when he trained me 2mos ago, he's just now getting butthurt about it.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So Southern sucks and lost all their high end boubons whiskeys etc here in NYC so to commemorate this, the fuckers dumped all their stock of pappy etc. onto their customers! If there was ever a time to find that stuff for your bad habits, now is the time.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I wonder if there will be surprises for me at work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I love being on on-call. Because I never get called in an end up with 20 hours a week. Then someone texts me while I'm grumpily back asleep about taking their shift one hour before it's due and I miss it and the chance to go in and make cash. Who the gently caress does on call? Ever? Does the kitchen have on calls? No, of course they loving don't! Because it's vital to keep your staff in and working!

• Locked thread