Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Metroidvanias that advertise themselves as Metroidvanias tend to be terrible Metroidvanias.

The term is extremely retarded and so are the indie games that keep trying to bank on the term to hide the fact that they're poo poo, though Metroid games and Castlevania games are mostly extremely good.

Metroidvania is like if people still thought FPS games were Doom clones but then eventually got into the idea of calling them all Wolfendooms. Except that term at least sounds a little rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I think the main problem with indie MV's is that they also make them procedurally generated, which is the antithesis of a good game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i wish people would let go of procedural generation, and people who make procedural generation that's just a very small set of levels should be shamed.

there's like 3 variants of each map in risk of rain

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't think being procedurally generated is necessary bad, but it's cancer for metroidvanias as they live and die on their level design.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Aston posted:

I don't think being procedurally generated is necessary bad, but it's cancer for metroidvanias as they live and die on their level design.

it's really hosed up

are there even any actually-good metroidvanias that aren't metroid or castlevania

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

rediscover posted:

it's really hosed up

are there even any actually-good metroidvanias that aren't metroid or castlevania

Cavestory :shobon:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

i wish people would let go of procedural generation, and people who make procedural generation that's just a very small set of levels should be shamed.

there's like 3 variants of each map in risk of rain

The maps in Risk of Rain were definitely designed, they all just have a few things that change each time.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

i never finished cave story. i got like a couple hours in but thats it. maybei should beat it. i will

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

I'd probably go with Castlevania. But that's mostly because I've played 1, 3, Belmont's Revenge, 4 and Symphony of the Night whereas I've only played Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I don't think Cave Story is really a metroidvania, more like a shooter-platformer. It is pretty good though.

Like I said I like Within a Deep Forest and Knytt Stories, although I haven't played them in ages. Both are pretty short, and I think Knytt comes with a bunch of different maps which all use the same power ups. They're free, too, at least last time I checked.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Aston posted:

I don't think Cave Story is really a metroidvania, more like a shooter-platformer. It is pretty good though.

Like I said I like Within a Deep Forest and Knytt Stories, although I haven't played them in ages. Both are pretty short, and I think Knytt comes with a bunch of different maps which all use the same power ups. They're free, too, at least last time I checked.

i've played pretty much all of the nifflas games, all of which i had completely forgotten about until i read this post. just had flashbacks of trying to let's play within a deep forest when i was like 13

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

rediscover posted:

it's really hosed up

la-mulana, which is also balls hard

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

rediscover posted:

i've played pretty much all of the nifflas games, all of which i had completely forgotten about until i read this post. just had flashbacks of trying to let's play within a deep forest when i was like 13

I tried a couple of the newer ones, Knytt Underground and Saira, but they didn't really do it for me.

La-Mulana is kind of good but I couldn't solve the puzzles without a guide and then I got stuck on a boss and gave up.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

La-Mulana is extremely good and I beat both versions of it. Can't wait for part 2.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Aston posted:

Eh like this thread mentioned it's hard to define the genre "metroidvania" but basically a platformer with items that act as keys and also affect how you interact with the world as well as make you generally more powerful as the game progresses. So the multiple guns, missiles, and energy tanks makes it a 'metroidvania' to me, it's also a pretty good platformer too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crimson Harvest posted:

I think the main problem with indie MV's is that they also make them procedurally generated, which is the antithesis of a good game.

for this reason, and more, burn rogue legacy on a garbage fire

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
the difference between a game cave story and super metroid is that the connected world in cave story is more incidental that anything. yeah all the areas are connected but you're not really backtracking or getting new abilities all that often. the only really major upgrade is the booster. whereas in super metroid, your ability progression is intimately tied to your access of the world. you're constantly backtracking and going back to earlier areas to try and see where your new abilities can get you.

so to me, a good metroidvania is about more than just having a huge interconnected map. how you're meant to access new areas is just as important as whether those areas are interconnected.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Not a Metroidvania.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

exquisite tea posted:

The original LoK: Soul Reaver was probably my favorite of the Metroidvanias.
Did you activate the cathedral to kill off all the vampires?

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Eh like this thread mentioned it's hard to define the genre "metroidvania" but basically a platformer with items that act as keys and also affect how you interact with the world as well as make you generally more powerful as the game progresses. So the multiple guns, missiles, and energy tanks makes it a 'metroidvania' to me, it's also a pretty good platformer too.

"Items that act as keys" is a terrible definition for metroidvanias because all the indie devs then shorten that to just "keys". Our game is like Doom, but a 2D platformer! How metroidvania! What a bunch of loving assholes.

Guacamelee is the only modern metroidvania because when you unlock the "green punch" ability you use it during platforming and combat instead of just whenever you see a green door.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
yes gating progression through literal keys is the most boring and uninspired way of designing a metroidvania ever.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
is vgpw a wrestlevania?

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Wolfendooms.

Someone has to name a metal band Wolfendoom

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mach2 posted:

On my friend's iPod, the song "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born To Be Wild" were both labeled as being by Stepping Wolf.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Mach2 posted:

I'd listen to it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

largely unrelated, but the machine gun is Cave Story is probably my fave weapon in any 2D platformer or similar ilk. the risk/reward of getting it to max level and then hovering around through levels, trying not to get hit. Extremely good weapon design, love that game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jackard posted:

Did you activate the cathedral to kill off all the vampires?

I don't remember that part of the game very well, the only thing I recall about a cathedral is getting stuck for a couple hours on the puzzle with all the organ pipes.

Dec 26, 2012

Aston posted:

yeah

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Wormskull posted:

On my friend's iPod, the song "Magic Carpet Ride" and "Born To Be Wild" were both labeled as being by Stepping Wolf.

this makes me incredibly angry

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

AHungryRobot posted:

yes gating progression through literal keys is the most boring and uninspired way of designing a metroidvania ever.

Agree. But items that act like keys, for example the space Jump in Metroid, owns and is great design. I guess come to think of it, Cave Story really didn't have that many. It was still well designed though.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

I don't remember that part of the game very well, the only thing I recall about a cathedral is getting stuck for a couple hours on the puzzle with all the organ pipes.
Bad joke, they cut like half the game and that was the original ending http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=488564

experienceBeej
Mar 24, 2014

rediscover posted:

it's really hosed up

Monster Tale

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's game is more good despite the Metroidvania elements than because of them. All the progression upgrade areas are like on the opposite ends of the map and it didn't really look like you could sequence break anything but I could be wrong.

Having a little monster buddy was neat though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

metroidvanias should be judged less on how much you can sequence break them and more on how fun they are

Dec 26, 2012

rediscover posted:

it's really hosed up

valdis story is pretty fun, and goes for very cheap on steam sales

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

metroidvanias should be judged less on how much you can sequence break them and more on how fun they are

I didn't mean so much that just that that game is really linear because of the way the map is arranged, the Metroidvania part just makes it so you have to backtrack through the map for every area. Barely anything was interconnected and there wasn't much to just discover.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

No one can judge it then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jackard posted:

Bad joke, they cut like half the game and that was the original ending http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=488564

Yeah I do remember reading a lot about how much of the game was cut and shuffled off into the sequels. The enormity of what was dropped is pretty impressive because I thought Soul Reaver was a pretty big game already. The sequels I didn't end up liking as much because they took out impaling vampires with large pikes and throwing them into water to sadistically incinerate them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

True but I preferred the sequels telling the Elder God to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Valdis Story Abyssal City fits in this category but I find it difficult to actually play, something about the controls feels kind of stiff.

Yo OP stick with it, the combat in that game is slick as hell once it all clicks. It's just really really hard so expect to get killed a whole lot before you turn into a badass. not Dark Souls hard, more like Devil May Cry hard if that makes sense.

• Locked thread