Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Greece is cool but most of what makes Greece in that period cool isn't really applicable to Dominions so I don't know how to fix it. The same could be said of turning them into Spartans. I mean yeah you can say "Oh but now the faction is a weird rear end dual-monarchy communistic eugenics practicing slave-holding police state republic" but none of that's gonna show up in game beyond having above average spearmen.

You could combine them with Pan, yeah, but personally I think Greek mythology is the least interesting part of Greece in antiquity. Maybe because it's so overdone. Could at least throw in some of the weirder practices some places had in the Hellenistic period like literally worshiping the spirit of the city walls or some poo poo but that'd just be a crappy ritual no one would use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Boing posted:

I really like this idea. EA Arco has its own flavour but MA and LA are very similar and could use this kind of distinction. It sounds like something Kristoffer would do anyway.

The only thing I've seen EA Arco do was run a F9W9 wind rider bless that gets grounded by perpetual storm every drat time someone tries it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Make all commanders recruit foreign, forbid them from building forts, make their PD something you actually have to pay attention to.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

A nation that cannot build forts would be really cool actually. Like you get good poo poo in them but you don't have the ability to build anything but foreign guys. Only forts you can get are the ones you steal from others.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
They really should at least get sailing though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm going to play a mp game, with EA Agharta. I never played them before. In fact, every player gets a random nation. The other tones are Berytos, Lanka, Caelum, Machaka, Xibalba, Sauromatia, Mictlan and TC.

Any hints about EA Agharta?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Summon elementals, cast debuffs, break the seal? Also mindbullets

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

This. Take good scales, build poo poo chaff with mindblasters behind them and summon your rad summons. Magma Kids, Living Mercuries and Umbrals are all good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

amuayse posted:

If I can, i will try to break the seal. Just for poo poo and giggles.

What should I use for an expansion force? Pretender? I suppose I will be doing some tests this weekend, the mp game isn't going to start now.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

amuayse posted:

break the seal?

Never not break the seal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

What should I use for an expansion force?

pale one militia

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Never not break the seal.

Is this some kind of event chain or something? I've heard people say "break the seal" before but I have no idea what that means.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jabarto posted:

Is this some kind of event chain or something? I've heard people say "break the seal" before but I have no idea what that means.

High level national spell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, what does Rain exactly do and how much does it gently caress up EA Abysia? It's around turn 15.

I get that it nullifies up to 3 heat auras, so the only thing with heat auras should be Salamanders and their sacreds. What about Fire Shield? And what does it do in a Cold scales province (snow)?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

So, what does Rain exactly do and how much does it gently caress up EA Abysia? It's around turn 15.

I get that it nullifies up to 3 heat auras, so the only thing with heat auras should be Salamanders and their sacreds. What about Fire Shield? And what does it do in a Cold scales province (snow)?

I think it gives double fatigue to mages when they cast a fire spell, that's the main effect.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I believe it's 1.25x fatigue and it seriously lowers the effectiveness of heat auras and also it puts fires out faster. So a bunch of things that Abysia doesn't want. It's not crippling for battle magic, but it does mean you get much less of it, and your troops lose the one thing that they rely on to actually win fights.

It doesn't affect the best fire spell though. Fire Storm owns.

e: vvvv that's way worse than I thought it was, goddamn

Boing fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 28, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

It's double fatigue on the base cost of the spell. It used to be doubled after everything was factored (spell encumbrance, drain etc) which was even worse considering most old man fire casters have higher base enc.

And it helps put out burning guys from firestorm which kind of sucks.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

I just finished my first game against the AI (I know, I know) with EA Berytos, but I still can't help but feel I've got a ways to go before I've got a full grasp of the mechanics, especially on the magic and construction end. Except at the very end of the game I rarely used magic except for blood magic rituals and the occasional summon, and virtually never scripted battle magic. For construction I almost exclusively made stuff to boost magic paths.

I don't want to start MP game until I feel like I really get the mechanics so I'm looking to do another SP run, with the AI level higher perhaps, only this time focus on learning the magic system better. Does anyone have any particular suggestions for good nations? Preferably MA or LA, and nations that are good with Astral, Death, or Nature magic since I barely ever touched those paths the first round (especially Astral). The more "color" to the nation the better--Berytos was a little boring with their units mostly being "small soldier" or "big soldier."

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You can play a turbo nerd nation like MA Tien that allows you to cast literally any non-death, non-blood spell in battle as long as you have research and enough geomancers to communion up with.
Or you can be boring and play the EA elf nations (Vanheim/Helheim/Tir) with a W9 bless.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Jabarto posted:

Agartha has a national spell at Alteration 9 called 'Unleash Imprisoned Ones', using the spell breaks 'The Chamber of the Seal' which is EA Agartha's cap-only site and transforms it into 'The Chamber of the Broken Seal' which removes the ability to train Seal Guard but upgrades the site from 1 death gem income to 5 death gem income.

It also does a few other things, upon casting it you lose about ~3/4s of your capitols population and gain about ~200 penumbrals and ~100 umbrals for an instant army, but the big and most important thing it does is it spawns 3 neutral 'God Vessels' in random parts of the map (testing seems to indicate that the God Vessels like to spawn on enemy capitols, which is hilarious). God Vessels are basically huge neutral undead Titans with tons of popkill, good HP and strong magic paths that wander randomly around the map slaughtering population by the tens of thousands and attacking any armies they come across, but the real trick is when you kill a God Vessel it doesn't actually go away.

Instead an extremely powerful creature called a Legion of Gods appears. Legions of Gods are basically Doom Horrors with True Ethereal, Damage Return, excellent paths, shittons of stats and the ability to cast 2 spells per turn while still teleporting around.

God Vessels are pretty boss and Legions of Gods are even more boss, in general when you break the seal 2 - 3 other players will start flipping their poo poo because giant undead titan god ghosts are running around their provinces slaughtering all their population and eating small armies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Genpei Turtle posted:

I just finished my first game against the AI (I know, I know) with EA Berytos, but I still can't help but feel I've got a ways to go before I've got a full grasp of the mechanics, especially on the magic and construction end. Except at the very end of the game I rarely used magic except for blood magic rituals and the occasional summon, and virtually never scripted battle magic. For construction I almost exclusively made stuff to boost magic paths.

I don't want to start MP game until I feel like I really get the mechanics so I'm looking to do another SP run, with the AI level higher perhaps, only this time focus on learning the magic system better. Does anyone have any particular suggestions for good nations? Preferably MA or LA, and nations that are good with Astral, Death, or Nature magic since I barely ever touched those paths the first round (especially Astral). The more "color" to the nation the better--Berytos was a little boring with their units mostly being "small soldier" or "big soldier."

MA Ctis is still my true love. Do that. You'll love the obnoxious plague lizards too. I promise.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

MA Ctis is still my true love. Do that. You'll love the obnoxious plague lizards too. I promise.

OK, fair enough, I actually had my eye on them, if they'd be good for that I'll go whole hog.

They're...kinda fragile things though aren't they? Just perusing the troops it looks like City Guards would be a good defensive wall while more offensive guys pour around the flanks with perhaps poison slingers for backup, but with these starting resources only slaves seem affordable. Any tips?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Genpei Turtle posted:

OK, fair enough, I actually had my eye on them, if they'd be good for that I'll go whole hog.

They're...kinda fragile things though aren't they? Just perusing the troops it looks like City Guards would be a good defensive wall while more offensive guys pour around the flanks with perhaps poison slingers for backup, but with these starting resources only slaves seem affordable. Any tips?

Morale on the elite warriors is now alarmingly close to garbage, but they're still great for Things That Aren't Arrowcatching (well okay, they're only alright at soaking the initial shock) until you can get your endless stream of necromancers rolling. City guards are entirely adequate arrowcatchers.

The obvious go-to battlespell that isn't skeletons is Foul Vapors, but frankly marshmasters are just loads of fun with how versatile they can be (while having a base of W1D2N2, which ain't shabby).

Another option is an SC pretender so you can make up for your only* good** melee infantry being scaredynewts.

The sacreds are a trap.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 28, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Marshmasters imho opinion are the best elite mage in the MA since they got great paths, are rather long lived, can be recruited anywhere, and have decent prot. You can transform them to reduce their upkeep as well.
The slaves can actually be given a decent moral boost with a taskmaster to lead and a Sobek in their squad.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

amuayse posted:

Marshmasters imho opinion are the best elite mage in the MA since they got great paths, are rather long lived, can be recruited anywhere, and have decent prot. You can transform them to reduce their upkeep as well.
The slaves can actually be given a decent moral boost with a taskmaster to lead and a Sobek in their squad.

I grudgingly prefer lizard kings for generalship, they wind up with an effective morale boost and are significantly less useless in combat than taskmasters. (slow to recruit hurts though)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Breaking the Seal should be your goal as EA Agartha because it is grade A hilarious trolling. It's like a global that can't be dispelled, only murdered through extreme application of resources. :haw:

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's double fatigue on the base cost of the spell. It used to be doubled after everything was factored (spell encumbrance, drain etc) which was even worse considering most old man fire casters have higher base enc.

And it helps put out burning guys from firestorm which kind of sucks.

Rain can be pretty brutal. Keep in mind Rain doesn't effect fire spells that can be cast underwater. There's not many but it's something.

Buffs: Phoenix Power, Protection from Fire, Fire Fend, Flame Ward, Resist Cold, Cold Resistance, Warriors of Muspelheim.
Debuffs: Rage, Blindness.
Damage: Incinerate.

If you have cross-paths then a lot more options open up. Boil (F3W1) and more importantly any spell that doesn't use fire as it's primary path, such as the Acid line of spells (Water + Fire).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Boing posted:

I believe it's 1.25x fatigue and it seriously lowers the effectiveness of heat auras and also it puts fires out faster. So a bunch of things that Abysia doesn't want. It's not crippling for battle magic, but it does mean you get much less of it, and your troops lose the one thing that they rely on to actually win fights.

I've taken a look at the roster of EA Abysia, considering a -3 to the heat aura from Rain. I must be a stupid newbie who can't understand stats, because they seem abysmal (ha!)

Abysian infantry is crap: the shield guys are useless with 8 encumbrance, the guys without shields have something like 7 defense, and all of them have middling attack. The only advantage is general toughness, both HP and protection, but that will give them 1 or 2 turns of flailing uselessly against any competent troop at most. All that for the insane price of 20 gold and a shitload of resources.

Misbreds are a joke unless they manage to go after your commanders. Put 10 bodyguards around your dudes and ignore the poor bastards.

That leaves Burning Ones, which I suppose could go with an E9 bless for the encumbrance, or fire for increased attack skill, which they only have 10 naturally (due to wielding 2 weapons). They get heat aura 6 (so 3 in rain) and Fire shield, at least. It's a unit whose more reliable way of dealing damage is getting hit, for 55 gold and 41 resources. Good luck spamming that.

Salamanders have 20 encumbrance. They are going to drop like flies after a single round. And they are undisciplined and are going to run ahead of your army, because they have twice the speed of your ther dudes. Coordination shenanigans. And they are going to cost you 60 gold a pop. Heat 3 aura with rain online, so huzzah, I guess?

Oh, and most of your army is map move 1. Have fun with that.

Basically Abysia troops suck, and the nation can either have a moderate amount of troops that lose their only benefit with an Evo 2 spell or a piddling amount of moderately good troops.

And you need good scales to get resources, a heavy bless to make your sacreds worthwhile (one of which should be fire, so overlapping with your natural paths, plus good dominion) and probably an awake pretender to help with expansion a bit until you can gather enough resources. Yeah, this is not going to work.

So questions:
  • Did I miss anything? How do you actually play these guys against anything with water magic?
  • What does Rain do in cold provinces? Manual says something about making it snow instead of rain, which is less effective?
  • How do AoE attacks work, like the Salamander's Flare? A normal melee attack against each and every occupant of the square? Or is it ranged?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 28, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Excuse me Burning Ones are actually fukken amazing :colbert:

But basically no you didn't miss anything Abysia is terrible in all ages, but has a stupid powerful lategame thanks to cheap blood\astral warlocks.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Aoe attacks just hit the entire square every time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neruz posted:

But basically no you didn't miss anything Abysia is terrible in all ages, but has a stupid powerful lategame thanks to cheap blood\astral warlocks.

I'd give up that lategame in a heartbeat for an alteration/removal of rain or a massive buff to their national troops. Make the magmamans tiny giants, give em mad-rear end HP and poo poo or something. They're made of loving fire and lava for god sakes they should be tuff.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

jsoh posted:

Aoe attacks just hit the entire square every time

OK, so 20 armor negating damage with autohit is a redeeming feature for Salamanders. Do they use it every turn, or are they like Dragons* and they decide randomly what to use

*I think they work like this. I know mine don't use their breath every turn.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Fat Samurai posted:

OK, so 20 armor negating damage with autohit is a redeeming feature for Salamanders. Do they use it every turn, or are they like Dragons* and they decide randomly what to use

*I think they work like this. I know mine don't use their breath every turn.

no its just a melee attack, so they attack with that and bite every round

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Oh god, Azi in the next patch will have 3 head slots.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

Oh god, Azi in the next patch will have 3 head slots.

Head slot items aren't a huge deal most of the time though. For Azi something like astral hat for +2MR, fear hat for the extra fear power and maybe something like spirit helm? Really though I would probably just put the astral hat on even with 3 slots.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
How does protection work for multiple heads? Does each head get its own value or is it averaged?

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enjoy posted:

How does protection work for multiple heads? Does each head get its own value or is it averaged?

It gets fun. Natural armour applies in full to each head. Mundane armour applies to only that single head it is on. Then mundane and natural armour are combined to get the protection value; ( Natural Armour + Mundane Armour ) - ( Natural Armour * Mundane Armour / 40 ). The protection values are then averaged across all heads to get the Head Protection value.
Natural armour could come from inherent thick skin, barkskin/stoneskin/ironskin effects, a high earth bless for sacred units or earth magic.
Mundane armour could come from inherent items, Toughened Armour effects or forged items.

I have a feeling a hit to the head hit location happens more frequently with more heads and that it doesn't distinguish which head was hit, so would just use the averaged Head Protection value. If anyone knows this for certain I would like to know.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Mass Flight Salamanders when you are absolutely crushing a game as Abysia is the funnest thing. Like, "you spent 3000 gold on WHAT?". The Kitfox of blitz attacks, I guess.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

TheDemon posted:

when you are absolutely crushing a game as Abysia

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Is there any point in sitesearching for blood? How rare are blood sites?

• Locked thread