Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

I can only imagine how these people react to stuff like the League of Legends mods for dota or the A Song of Ice and Fire mod for Crusader Kings (TWO piracies at once!) Or the mod that puts the entirety of Fallout 3 into Fallout New Vegas.

Isn't DotA itself a mod of Warcraft 3? How many piracies is that worth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

laplace posted:

It also wrecks every brawl disc it touches and kicks your puppy. Project M is literally the devil.

Tried playing PM on my brother-in-law's Wii and it burned the optical disc drive.

Also whenever you hit the stage select button in the "hackless" :rolleyes: version the game looks like its being butchered by some haphazard coding.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't DotA itself a mod of Warcraft 3? How many piracies is that worth?

Several.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rye Rat Cruise

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Gonna be honest guys: I really don't know if people are getting mad about Project M because it 'ruins Sakurais vision' or if everyone is just positing that and the opposite position ironically. I don't know if people believe in these weird allegiances to their favorite series or not and it is very confusing to me.

When is there going to be another online goon tourney, is that in the works?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

All I know is there's trouble in this thread, and that starts with T, and that rhymes with P, and that stands for Project M.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Waverhouse posted:

Gonna be honest guys: I really don't know if people are getting mad about Project M because it 'ruins Sakurais vision' or if everyone is just positing that and the opposite position ironically. I don't know if people believe in these weird allegiances to their favorite series or not and it is very confusing to me.

When is there going to be another online goon tourney, is that in the works?
The new and bewildering posting paradigms of 2015.

Of my own personal anecdote, a friend of a friend was (probably still is, who knows) an absolute rabid fanboy of Melee; he adamantly refused to play Brawl even while the rest of us huddled around the Wii, and even when we'd humor him and boot up the Gamecube he whinge and moan about anything. No items, only ever allowed to play on Final Destination, and he would walk away in a huff if you weren't 100% serious while playing (heaven forbid if you taunt during a match or do something dumb like SD with Jigglypuff's Rollout). the most memorable was his outcry that we were playing Melee on a 'non-tournament legal setup' (read: a LCD TV). all around, the kind of person you keep around to laugh at when he gets [easily] set off.

I guess in my mind I sometimes associate people like him with Project M fans, even though in reality I know plenty of chill people play it just to have fun instead of being hypercompetitive dweebs, and it's not like there's any shortage of those sorts of players in Smash 4 let alone just about any multiplayer game. To each their own, smash how you wanna, etc.

anyhow that's a bunch of words nobody is going to read so,

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Good things about Project durrrrr M:
-Mewtwo (soon to be negated)
-Roy
-Cut Brawl Characters
-costumes
-Cool stages like Metal Cavern

Bad things:
-lame stages like dracula's castle (with no castlevania music??!?)
-menu colors like melee
-victory screen like melee
-no duck hunt dog
-no mega man
-no custom moves
-made Sakurai cry

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Where do Lyn and Knuckles fall in this scale balancing

This was a whole lot of words and I didn't actually see Project M come up anywhere in that anecdote so it's a pretty loving stupid anecdote

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

notoriousman posted:

The new and bewildering posting paradigms of 2015.

Of my own personal anecdote, a friend of a friend was (probably still is, who knows) an absolute rabid fanboy of Melee; he adamantly refused to play Brawl even while the rest of us huddled around the Wii, and even when we'd humor him and boot up the Gamecube he whinge and moan about anything. No items, only ever allowed to play on Final Destination, and he would walk away in a huff if you weren't 100% serious while playing (heaven forbid if you taunt during a match or do something dumb like SD with Jigglypuff's Rollout). the most memorable was his outcry that we were playing Melee on a 'non-tournament legal setup' (read: a LCD TV). all around, the kind of person you keep around to laugh at when he gets [easily] set off.

I guess in my mind I sometimes associate people like him with Project M fans, even though in reality I know plenty of chill people play it just to have fun instead of being hypercompetitive dweebs, and it's not like there's any shortage of those sorts of players in Smash 4 let alone just about any multiplayer game. To each their own, smash how you wanna, etc.

anyhow that's a bunch of words nobody is going to read so,

Stories like this always make me raise an eyebrow because they always insist that the douchebag-slash-strawman in question refuses to play anything other than FD. FD is not and never has been the only stage that comp players will play on. In fact the reality is even more hilarious, as there's a three-tiered system of stage legality where some stages can only be chosen on the second or third game of a match and some stages are banned entirely. I've been to a lot of (mostly smaller) smash tournaments and meetups and I've never had someone say, to my face, 'I only play on final destination.' It's always something people say online when they want to make fun of the idea of playing super smash brazzers as a tournament game. So my conclusion is either this dude doesn't exist at all, the story is embellished pretty heavily, or he's even worse than your average wannabe Smash tournament hero.

This is the part of the post where it's revealed that I'm the guy in the story all along

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Final Destination meme was very real for a number of years among pseudocomps, and if this was recent then it makes the guy look like an even more massive tool than the story appears.

Also it was the coolest stage in Melee and had the best music (hold shield when that map gets picked you fuckers)

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm just glad one person isn't posting in this thread. I don't care if he was serious or just shitposting for his own amusement; glad that drama's gone.

I can take the occasional Project M chat; it was a nice novelty while we were waiting for the new game. But now I feel like "Dude... there's a new Smash, let's just play that one."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Smash 4 is paying for the mistakes of that meme because For Glory is poo poo with just flat plane selection.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm just glad one person isn't posting in this thread. I don't care if he was serious or just shitposting for his own amusement; glad that drama's gone.

you mean bonzi? because he got permabanned for scamming someone out of 150 bucks in SA mart

:911:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

In any competitive game there's a strata of players who look at the trappings of what competitive players do and try to emulate it in a sort of distorted, extreme way, and anecdotes about "tryhards" are usually referring to those people. In every game I've played the competitive sort of people have been nice, fun and a little goofy, since the hostile people tend to get flushed out of circles for being hostile in the first place. There's also a strata of players who look at the above-mentioned players and for whatever reason dedicate themselves to being their antithesis, which is also weird.

Just enjoy the game in the way that is most comfortable for you, without feeling like you need to put on a show or demonstrate what level of care you are, or whatever.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Tae posted:

Smash 4 is paying for the mistakes of that meme because For Glory is poo poo with just flat plane selection.

Is there any way to petition for a patch to include battlefield / both animal crossing levels and lyat cruise?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Raserys posted:

Project durrrrr M

You did this wrong, please don't butcher my trademarks.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Not trying to say competitive players/tournament-goers only play FD, or that the tournament scene isn't entertaining or more nuanced than I would give it credit for or even that there's anything wrong with FD as a stage/concept/whatever. Just, that knowing him colored my perception of how I pictured competitive Smash players; it was both laughable and annoying that if my friends wanted to choose a stage like Pokéfloats or Jungle Japes he would just set the controller down. But at the end of the day it was only him that was wrong and that I am a dork myself for judging people unfairly. To be honest I am mostly ignorant of the Smash competitive scene due to 1) my own lovely personal experiences, 2) general apathy, and 3) being complete garbage at these games (still am).

Also the story is literally almost a decade old at this point, back when my friends and I were fresh out of high school where we all lived close by and had the free time to couch-game as such and we were all terrible teenagers (as opposed to being slightly-less-terrible adults).

Edit:

Reiley posted:

In any competitive game there's a strata of players who look at the trappings of what competitive players do and try to emulate it in a sort of distorted, extreme way, and anecdotes about "tryhards" are usually referring to those people. In every game I've played the competitive sort of people have been nice, fun and a little goofy, since the hostile people tend to get flushed out of circles for being hostile in the first place. There's also a strata of players who look at the above-mentioned players and for whatever reason dedicate themselves to being their antithesis, which is also weird.

Just enjoy the game in the way that is most comfortable for you, without feeling like you need to put on a show or demonstrate what level of care you are, or whatever.
Thank you for making this post because it is very good and what I failed desperately to say.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

I can take the occasional Project M chat; it was a nice novelty while we were waiting for the new game. But now I feel like "Dude... there's a new Smash, let's just play that one."

And then Project ForM will kill time when people get bored of Smash 4 and wait for Smash 5

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Project 4M will right wrongs and permanently replace Marth with Lucina.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Project 4M will right wrongs and permanently replace Marth with Lucina.

And the falchion will tip 3 times as hard

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Cake Attack posted:

you mean bonzi? because he got permabanned for scamming someone out of 150 bucks in SA mart

:911:
:laugh:

This is the first time I've heard of this.

Anyways. where's the update? I don't see it on the main eshop. Is it supposed to be there yet?

Edit: nevermind

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 30, 2015

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Echo Chamber posted:

Anyways. where's the update? I don't see it on the main eshop. Is it supposed to be there yet?

Edit: nevermind

I turned on my Wii U, saw that nothing had downloaded on its own (at least, not without me noticing), and ended up checking the eShop too.

I felt quite silly when I turned on the game and that was the only thing I needed to do. On the other hand, it made me notice that Kid Icarus: Uprising was a whole $10 off, so Sakurai has even more of my money now.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Final Destination meme was very real for a number of years among pseudocomps, and if this was recent then it makes the guy look like an even more massive tool than the story appears.

Also it was the coolest stage in Melee and had the best music (hold shield when that map gets picked you fuckers)

what happens when you hold shield?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It plays the alt music track for stages that have them in Melee. Same goes for Smash 3DS.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing Melee off and on since it first came out and I had no idea stages had alt music. Mind blown.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jmcrofts posted:

I've been playing Melee off and on since it first came out and I had no idea stages had alt music. Mind blown.

You missed out on some pretty sick tunes, although I think they're all in Smash 4 now.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Wut:chanpop:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The worst part about the removal of Snake is that Snake Eater and Yell Dead Cell aren't in this game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Even the menu had an alternate theme. It's still the best menu theme in all Smash.

Mario 3 remix played on Yoshi's Island.
Saria's Song played on Great Bay.
Pokemon Battle G/S played on Pokemon Stadium.
Fire Emblem remix played on Temple.
Mach Rider played on Big Blue.
A different Mother remix played on Onett.
Fever played on Mushroom Kingdom II.
Balloon Fight played on Icicle Mountain.
Menu 2 remix played on Final Destination.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raserys posted:

Good things about Project durrrrr M:
-Mewtwo (soon to be negated)
-Roy
-Cut Brawl Characters
-costumes
-Cool stages like Metal Cavern
where's the "it actually moves fast and defensive options aren't stupid good" bullet point

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RyokoTK posted:

Even the menu had an alternate theme. It's still the best menu theme in all Smash.

The top comments on most of those videos are "Wait...this was in Melee?" looks like nobody knew to hold L or R.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I sure as gently caress didn't know about that, and melee is probably pretty easily my most played Smash.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i knew about the alternate music tracks

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

where's the "it actually moves fast and defensive options aren't stupid good" bullet point

It's there with "Ivysaur can shoot a laser"

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
FD has never been and currently is not the most played stage in competitive smash. Battlefield and Dreamland are, by far.

I think most "tryhards" really don't know what competitive melee is, only heard that wavedashing was a thing and liked to get off on beating their friends with imposed rules. Competitive Melee is a very arcane thing to understand unless you learn it, so it makes a lot of sense that there are many incorrect preconceived notions about it, but I think that's slowly going away with the influx of melee-related material thats been coming out over the past year.

Reiley posted:

This is a good post.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe

Reinanigans posted:

I finally did it. 100% completion of this game! I'm so happy! Clearing Classic at 9.0 without dying was hard as hell. I used Bowser loaded up with offense, and an auto-healer ability, but it took forever because of the randomness that is Classic. Inarguably the most frustrating thing I've ever done in a game.

The only other challenge I was worried about was getting all the headgear. Thankfully, I got all but 2 of them through just playing the game normally (grinding for custom moves, Trophy Rush, All-Star, Classic, etc.). The last two I got through Crazy Orders, and oddly enough, from an amiibo. To anyone trying to 100% the game, I recommend getting at least 8 amiibos.

You set up a 99 stock match. Set the launch rate to 2.0, set the handicap on everyone to 300%, put them on an Omega stage, set Bob-Ombs to high, and...profit. If I didn't already have everything else, I'm sure this would be the most brain-dead way to collect money, moves, trophies, and costumes. I dreaded grinding for that last hat, but Donkey Kong got it for me on the second match.

Feels good, man. Now, on to getting my rear end kicked at For Glory!

For those curious, the challenges I used my hammers on: Clear Solo Classic in 12 minutes on intensity 9.0 with Marth (probably could have done this, but meh), Clear All-Star on Hard with all characters (hahah, gently caress no), Clear Crazy Orders after 20 or more turns while playing as Mario (really regret wasting a hammer on this), Clear Classic at intensity 9.0 without any customizations (probably could have done this too), Clear All-Star on hard difficulty with 8 or more characters (also gently caress no.)

Thank you a-so much for a-playing a-my game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

RyokoTK posted:

The Japanese know how to make some good music.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

bef posted:

The Japanese know how to make some good music.

Everything sounds like t-square vs Casiopea.

But it's still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well this is interesting...apparently there's data evidence for a 4th set of moves for every character.. Hopefully we'll see them at some point.

• Locked thread