Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Hughlander posted:

No just spergy goons. Probably have delusions of being an Associate instead like some retail job.

any company that uses both the terms junior and programmer probably arent good places to work.

looking at some national salary averages on glassdoor, a junior programmer nationally makes 53k, and a programmer only makes a little more at 65k. compare this to software developer, who makes 86k nationally, and variations on the term (software development engineer, software engineer) make between 90-100k nationally.

you are literally being underpaid working for a company that uses these terms, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

FamDav posted:

any company that uses both the terms junior and programmer probably arent good places to work.

looking at some national salary averages on glassdoor, a junior programmer nationally makes 53k, and a programmer only makes a little more at 65k. compare this to software developer, who makes 86k nationally, and variations on the term (software development engineer, software engineer) make between 90-100k nationally.

you are literally being underpaid working for a company that uses these terms, hope this helps.

Is there a geographic effect that's confounding those terms.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

FamDav posted:

Neat. An hour before you didn't know that the term existed and now you are an expert in its socio-economic effects!

By any chance did you compare terms within the same industry and city or would that destroy the hypothesis?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Cyclomatic posted:

In some sense, I'm trying not to be a pain in the rear end to deal with. I'll grant that I can be a bit hyperbolic in my phrasing, put it down to having been in the Army. I enjoy my hyperbole. What I'm suggesting is pretty simple at the end of the day, I think.

I didn't set a problem and ask for a solution because I didn't want to expect them to write a different piece code they are proud of for every different job they apply for. A qualified candidate might have looked at that requirement and decided they were busy. I think it is reasonable that having gone through school that they have something they can show, or should think about doing so. We were willing spend the time reading what they submitted. I don't know if your way is better or not. I see pros and cons to each. Fact remains, if I put the ball in your court and ask you to show me what you've got: cut loose and wallop it.

I get that these are people straight out of college. It doesn't change the fact that if one is able to relate to us well and the other is a nervous wreck that can't communicate that it isn't good for them.

Code reviews are something that are going to happen. If you can weather one reasonably well, then that is good for you. It doesn't change the fact that people are going to be curious about how you react to one.

Did the person we hired do all of those things? No. Do we have a big problem with that? No. Would we have tried to hire them first if someone else did all of those things? No.

Would someone looking to get hired who expresses interest in the tools, has a confidence inspiring code sample, is prepared to discuss it, shows some initiative, can handle a code review without freaking out, and makes an effort to open up and talk to us be in a better position than someone who doesn't? Yea, I think they likely would.

Are any of those things that you would actively discourage someone looking to get hired from at least thinking about?

Is auto-rejecting someone because they get butthurt about a code review a good idea? No. Is getting butthurt about a code review a good idea as a candidate? No. Hence the point: it is not to your benefit to get butthurt in a code review.

Also, a lot of people don't have any trouble with code reviews. A lot of personalities really enjoy them.

Set some like the following: "Either do this problem OR hand in a piece of code you are proud of (and be prepared to explain why)"

This means that people whose code is under dozens of pages of NDA aren't going to ignore your job advertisement

Sure going to tears over a code review is bad+dumb but so is expecting seasoned responses out of a fresh to the industry person

Use your judgement

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Code reviews are awesome. I've only been doing this for a few years and it's great to see someone who (hopefully) knows more than me give me constructive criticism. I've learned a ton already and would learn even more if they were standardized at my company. That being said, I really hate that my sub-team does them in person and would much, much rather have them done like one of our other sub-teams with comments on out github pages.

Code reviews are great but it's basically a knife's edge from being personal attacks in many of the cases I've seen, very few people know how to give or take constructive criticism and learning how to deal with it is important and difficult enough that unless a candidate falls apart under gentle questions i would not sweat it too much

sarehu posted:

Some people are innately perfectly fine receiving code reviews while others react like its some kind of personal attack -- and maybe if you wanted not to deal with the latter kind, you could filter them out in the interview process. Which would be dumb of course. Maybe I was just used to arguing on Usenet and forums but when I got my first code reviews at my first job, none of them hurt my feelings. Then another new dev also took them well (but he was a practiced rationalist and a beauty and the geek contestant), and then a dude in his forties didn't do so well. At a later job we had two newb devs that got all butthurt. Some devs just need to get slapped a couple of times a week and others need to get sent back in time to their high school days and get put in the marching band or (as my dad liked to threaten) get sent to Valley Forge Military Academy.

well u see humans tend to be pretty nervous during interviews to begin with so using aggressive code review tactics during an interview is a bad measure tbh.

StyleCop+SourceCop has saved so much vitriol in my life

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 26, 2015

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Neat. An hour before you didn't know that the term existed and now you are an expert in its socio-economic effects!

By any chance did you compare terms within the same industry and city or would that destroy the hypothesis?

no, i was aware that bad companies call employees (junior) programmers.

and i didnt, because at best it would show its true across the board and at worst it would show that good companies in places people actually want to live call their employees software developers/software engineers/&c and bad companies in bad places call them programmers.

if you do that, could you also find me a list of companies advertising position for programmers? i found this but there must be some places missing.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm only applying to places that will call me a Gosu Code Ninja from now on.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I remember when I first started posting in this thread, writing a resume seemed really hard, because I had no work experience, no projects to speak of, and just a decent GPA and list of "skills" on my resume.

Now I have enough experience that I am going to remove the "Personal Projects" section from my resume, to make room for more experience from my current job. Feels pretty cool.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Malcolm XML posted:

StyleCop+SourceCop has saved so much vitriol in my life

I can't say enough how awesome these tools are.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is a contract still legal if someone from HR signed it instead of the person the offer was from?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Acer Pilot posted:

Is a contract still legal if someone from HR signed it instead of the person the offer was from?

Almost certainly yes.

But, keep in mind that very few job offers are actually contracts.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Acer Pilot posted:

Generally yes. The only person who could say for sure would be an employment lawyer in your area.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Alright, thanks.

PongAtari
May 9, 2003
Hurry, hurry, hurry, try my rice and curry.
My story:

I wanted to study computer science and become a programmer when I was a kid.
I had a severe lapse of judgement and got a BA in music.
I file goddamn e-mails for a living.
I want to be a computer programmer again.

I'm old as gently caress (34) and can't afford to not work or go to college again, so I'm hoping to take the self-study/work on DIY & open source stuff to build a portfolio approach. I've been doing Codecademy and Udacity courses for a little over a month now and enjoying it.

-Assuming 3-5 hours of study/practice a day, is becoming employable by January 2016 a realistic goal?
-What sucks about being a programmer? My outlook is that every job sucks to some degree (otherwise they wouldn't have to pay you to do it), but I'd hate to go all in on this only to realize I hate it as much as my current job/industry.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

PongAtari posted:

-What sucks about being a programmer?

getting the job that pays a sensible amount.

I know plenty of programmers who have almost no clue about development, they cannot configure an IDE, they haven't even heard of Java 8 or C++11 yet work with Java or C++ daily.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
Updating the skills section of my resume: If I just put two languages here and nothing else, is that bad? I'm past the stage of listing everything I've ever used before, but at work we only ever use two or three languages and I haven't done any front-end stuff in a long time, so removing "HTML, CSS, Javascript" from my resume seems weird. These are still mentioned when talking about the actual work I did in my work experience section, though.

E: Also, if a company (Company Baz) I worked at was acquired by a huge, well-known company (Company Foobar) and now its name is actually both those companies' names (Company Foobar-Baz), should I use the newly-combined name on my resume? It seems that's more accurate, but it was acquired by a really well-known company, so I hesitate to do so because I left a couple months before the acquisition and it seems like I'd get name recognition that I don't really deserve.

Edit 2: I am also thinking of removing the link to my github repo from my resume header, since it only has old projects of mine from when I was a student. I hesitate because they're mostly several thousand lines of code each, just barely above trivial, done while I was a student and soon after I graduated, none of them were for class but were just because I was bored and wanted to do them. I feel like it reflects well on me that I used to do that back before I was under assignment clauses, but I don't want people to take it as a reflection of my current abilities, since I look back at that code and cringe now.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 28, 2015

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Safe and Secure! posted:

E: Also, if a company (Company Baz) I worked at was acquired by a huge, well-known company (Company Foobar) and now its name is actually both those companies' names (Company Foobar-Baz), should I use the newly-combined name on my resume?

I see nothing wrong with this.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that's totally fine. You could also write "Company Foobar-Baz (formerly Company Baz)" if you think the double-name is confusing for some reason.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

PongAtari posted:

-What sucks about being a programmer? My outlook is that every job sucks to some degree (otherwise they wouldn't have to pay you to do it), but I'd hate to go all in on this only to realize I hate it as much as my current job/industry.

It depends who you are and where you work, like anything else, but software dev is easily the best job I've had. There's a lot of money to be made right now and companies are constantly trying to one-up each other with the perks they give you. At some companies you can even get away with not working more than a couple hours each day.

The bad parts about the field are potentially working with spergs (which is why your choice of workplace matters) and pager duty (which is something I haven't done, not sure if it's because of switching companies frequently enough and/or being young)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Space Whale posted:

I can't say enough how awesome these tools are.

We just set a team wide source cop stylefile and sourcecop configs and then have the build fail if they don't work.

Saves a lot of grief. I don't give a poo poo about yoru brace style as long as its consistent

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

PongAtari posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.

Safe and Secure! posted:

I remember when I first started posting in this thread, writing a resume seemed really hard, because I had no work experience, no projects to speak of, and just a decent GPA and list of "skills" on my resume.

Now I have enough experience that I am going to remove the "Personal Projects" section from my resume, to make room for more experience from my current job. Feels pretty cool.

Nice! Congrats, I'm in a similar situation: I have about 7 months experience working now, first half was internship, and I'm finishing my masters in July - should I still have school projects in my resume? Some of them are fairly big/cool, but maybe I should just talk about my work experience more? Just not sure at what point in time this shifts.

Also, should I list only the main languages/technologies that I've used, or other ones where I have some, more limited, experience? For instance, one semester I took a class that was a lot of PHP - but I haven't really used it since. Should that be on my resume, or just the main things I'm much better at and have the most experience in?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 29, 2015

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That's exactly like my job.

:negative:

Don't work in agencies kids.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

PongAtari posted:

They made a comic about it, it's called Dilbert.

They also made a movie about it, it's called Office Space.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Skuto posted:

They made a comic about it, it's called Dilbert.

They also made a movie about it, it's called Office Space.

Yep, and you'll notice that neither of these things have much to say about programming itself.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Yep, and you'll notice that neither of these things have much to say about programming itself.

They made a thread about it, it's here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2803713

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
When a company is hiring for a full-stack developer, is it reasonable to expect data structures/algorithms questions? I ask as a front-end developer with a little over a year of experience who is unsure what to expect. I've been interviewing with a bunch of companies and have gotten questions asked from "show me the html, css, and js for a basic carousel" to "given an array of unsorted integers, code up an algorithm to sort these from lowest to greatest".

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's reasonable to expect data structures and algorithms questions for any programming position. Especially for web development where you need that knowledge and ability to cluefully do stuff.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had an interview for both a front-end and back-end position where the knowledge that calling a recursive function can put a lot onto the stack and potentially results in memory problems apparently impressed the interviewers, so at the very least having the chance to demonstrate that you do have knowledge of data structures and algorithms certainly can't hurt.

Speaking of, I'm at the point where I seriously need to consider choosing between a position that is a better culture fit for me and where I feel I could learn a lot more from the people there, and a position that offers a better salary and benefits but I'm still not 100% sure on what I myself will gain from it. I do know that the salary at the latter is likely to be much higher than the former, and I do know that the former has a setup and culture much more amenable to myself while the latter seems a bit too overwhelming in terms of size.

How do I decide which opportunity to go with? (Assuming I actually get the latter opportunity.)

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 29, 2015

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Pollyanna posted:

How do I decide which opportunity to go with? (Assuming I actually get the latter opportunity.)

This is a common topic in the thread and has been hashed out several times - it always comes down to personal preference/what aligns with your own values more or less. Personally, I value generally liking my job and having opportunities for growth/knowledge over more cash. Assuming that the extra cash is just that - extra - and not the difference between making rent or not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's probably identical in the end, since one is in Boston proper and then other isn't - though I could easily commute from outside the city...haven't quite sussed out the details on that yet. I think in terms of which job I'd enjoy more, it ends up being about the same for different reasons.

One is is significantly larger than the other, though they are both startups; the smaller is more artsy and freeform while the larger is more corporate; there's more diversity in the smaller one than the larger one; the larger one is closer to where I live than the smaller one, but I only have this place for three months total; I have a better idea of what I'd be doing at the larger one than the smaller one (the latter is still figuring out what to get me working on if I start); I feel the smaller one will give me greater breadth in overall skills while the larger would build heavily on what I've initially focused on...

Yeah, this is gonna take a while to figure out. Time to draw up a chart. Ultimately, though, I think they'd both be about equal in potential to grow, but in different ways.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

And here's a follow up to show you how bad of an expert that guy in the video actually is :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7MIJP90biM

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

piratepilates posted:

And here's a follow up to show you how bad of an expert that guy in the video actually is :smug:

Oh gently caress off. Where's the balloon?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Yes, hyperbolic geometries also make it easy without requiring a third dimension, although by definition the axes in a seven dimensional space are all mutually perpendicular. I think that's missing the point though.

I always took the message from the video to be, if you're really smart be the old white guy rather than anyone else in the room.

enthe0s posted:

When a company is hiring for a full-stack developer, is it reasonable to expect data structures/algorithms questions? I ask as a front-end developer with a little over a year of experience who is unsure what to expect. I've been interviewing with a bunch of companies and have gotten questions asked from "show me the html, css, and js for a basic carousel" to "given an array of unsorted integers, code up an algorithm to sort these from lowest to greatest".

For full stack development expect questions about the full stack. You'll probably get at least one ORDBMS schema design or query-with-joins SQL question, one data structures and algorithms question, and one UI design/javascript/css question.

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

SPRING 2013
So I'm looking to apply to the following big companies, because I figure they tend to have the smartest people, the highest compensation, and name-recognition (not sure if it would help me much in the long run, but I would enjoy having recognizable a name on my resume):

- Amazon
- Apple
- Google
- Facebook
- Microsoft
- Ebay
- Yahoo
- Twitter

Am I missing any companies that would offer really skilled coworkers and top-of-the-industry compensation - whether they're actually big or not? Are companies like AirBnB, Uber worth applying to as well, or should I consider those to be roughly equivalent to basically any company advertising on StackOverflow?

Also, is it actually worth applying to finance companies? I get the impression that they pay what they think is a lot of money (but actually isn't that great compared to salary + stock at huge companies) but the culture sucks.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

There's a few finance companies that are probably worth it. Bridgwater comes to mind, or some of the HFT places.

Otherwise I'd add Netflix and Linkedin to your list (both above yahoo, personally).

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Safe and Secure! posted:

So I'm looking to apply to the following big companies, because I figure they tend to have the smartest people, the highest compensation, and name-recognition (not sure if it would help me much in the long run, but I would enjoy having recognizable a name on my resume):

- Amazon
- Apple
- Google
- Facebook
- Microsoft
- Ebay
- Yahoo
- Twitter

Am I missing any companies that would offer really skilled coworkers and top-of-the-industry compensation - whether they're actually big or not? Are companies like AirBnB, Uber worth applying to as well, or should I consider those to be roughly equivalent to basically any company advertising on StackOverflow?

Also, is it actually worth applying to finance companies? I get the impression that they pay what they think is a lot of money (but actually isn't that great compared to salary + stock at huge companies) but the culture sucks.

The Times employ a pretty rad set of dudes. I think they have the guy who made d3js and the dude who maaade... sass? or less. They have the opposite of the one they use, can't remember which.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

The March Hare posted:

The Times employ a pretty rad set of dudes. I think they have the guy who made d3js and the dude who maaade... sass? or less. They have the opposite of the one they use, can't remember which.

Which Times are you talking about?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

KernelSlanders posted:

Which Times are you talking about?

This is not difficult to figure out if you google d3js. The creator is Mike Bostock, who works for the New York Times.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Safe and Secure! posted:

- Amazon
- Apple
- Google
- Facebook
- Microsoft
- Ebay
- Yahoo
- Twitter

FWIW I've heard that Amazon isn't exactly the happiest place to work at + their comp isn't that great (might have changed in the past couple of years). Companies like Uber have substantially smaller engineering organizations than Apple and MSFT (hundreds of people vs tens of thousands) and their culture will be closer to a startup (albeit a $40B one).

I've heard from a couple of friends that got offers this year that financial places are actually picking up the pace salary-wise, salaries for PhD grads in the 150K range (although the bonuses/stock are worse than tech firms). I think they are realizing that they are having trouble attracting top tier talent. However, if you join one of them now, be prepared to interact mostly with folks that could not make it to the Tier 1/2 tech firms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
150k is on the low end for financials for someone with a bachelors