Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I wasn't aware that Fusion was so disliked. It's easily my favorite 2D Metroid game. v:shobon:v
It's linear, but the controls feel loving incredible. While I think Super Metroid is the better game, Fusion is still really fun. I feel like it's about as linear as a Metroid game can be while still feeling like a Metroid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep! Dammit Nintendo.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/saves

First save is one with enough vouchers in each slot and 0 progress in any of the games. Throw it on an SD card before you start. I found it helped if I started the game and moved the save it initially makes to the SD card so it's easier to find the right directory.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

GBA had a lot of really good games

It really did. I think it may be in top 3 consoles for me. It's definitely my favorite portable system ever.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Brightman posted:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/saves

First save is one with enough vouchers in each slot and 0 progress in any of the games. Throw it on an SD card before you start. I found it helped if I started the game and moved the save it initially makes to the SD card so it's easier to find the right directory.

It's a stupid process, but I went through it with Punch Out.

Start up MPT on Wii U
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Go into Wii Mode
Copy save from SD Card
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Start up MPT.

It won't let you even copy the data until the folder structure is there.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Lemming posted:

Had anybody who has downloaded Trilogy checked if you're locked out of Friend Voucher stuff?

Yep, there's a big thing you can read before you buy it that says things like you have to use a Wiimote + nunchuk and that the friend voucher junk is disabled.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I'm gonna play the poo poo outta some $10 metroids

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Prime Trilogy does lack the hyper slick interfaces and intro songs of Prime 1 and 2 though. Oh man those were awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfGsArRQjKE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLOkc9MwFHs

That's a deal breaker.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Astro7x posted:

Start up MPT on Wii U
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Go into Wii Mode
Copy save from SD Card
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Start up MPT.

Yeah, I did it for the physical copy and didn't know that, I was just making an initial save to get the proper directory listing onto the SD card by copying the blank MPT save to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Yep! Dammit Nintendo.

Gamefaqs has a save file with no game progress but all the friend vouchers to buy everything.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Start up MPT on Wii U
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Go into Wii Mode
Copy save from SD Card
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Start up MPT.

Ok this it the most convoluted process ever. What I didn't understand was that the wii mode won't automatically run save data from the SD card even if you previously moved it there. You have to move it back to Wii System Memory or else it creates a new blank save file and you have to delete that one. Took me way too many back and forths between Wii U and computer, but I finally got it.

I hope these friend voucher things are worth it :v:

greatn posted:

Gamefaqs has a save file with no game progress but all the friend vouchers to buy everything.

Thanks greatn

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Astro7x posted:

Start up MPT on Wii U
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Go into Wii Mode
Copy save from SD Card
Exit back to Wii U Menu
Start up MPT.

Can I do this with my 3DS SD card without screwing up all the stuff on my 3DS? Like, am I going to have to remove all the 3DS stuff or format it in some way, or can I just throw the save onto the card and move it?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What does the friend voucher stuff give you

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I completely understand all of the complaints and all of the hate against Metroid Fusion, and while Super Metroid is probably the better game Fusion is still my favorite 2D Metroid. Sorry, everybody. I know I let you all down.

e: actually, I think the reason I don't like Super as much as Fusion is because I played Fusion first. Super's controls never felt anything less than awkward after the insanely tight and intuitive platforming in Fusion.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

What does the friend voucher stuff give you

Throughout the games you apparently earn different types of credits which are used to purchase bonus content like concept art and soundtrack stuff. Most of these are earned by just playing the games, but one of the types of credits are friend credits which could only be gotten via the now defunct friend voucher system. You need 15 of them to be able to buy everything. Without them you can still buy a lot of stuff with the other kinds of credits but the ones that require friend credits you'd be locked out of.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
People seem to forget about Zero Mission sometimes- drat that game ruled.

Like Super Metroid with the Fusion/ZM controls would be :getin:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Metroid Fusion rules and I will stand by that forever

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Monkey Fracas posted:

If Metroid 2015 was just Super Metroid remade in 2.5D on the wii u with Fusion-style controls I would just give nintendo my bank account number and tell them to go to town

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

What does Prime Trilogy do with the Fusion Suit you could get by linking Prime to a gba?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tender Bender posted:

What does Prime Trilogy do with the Fusion Suit you could get by linking Prime to a gba?

That's one of the rewards you can unlock with Tokens.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Sade posted:

If Metroid 2015 was just Super Metroid remade in 2.5D on the wii u with Fusion-style controls I would just give nintendo my bank account number and tell them to go to town

Hell, I'd take a brand new 2.5D Metroid with that control style.

Imagine what they could do with the atmosphere using rendered backgrounds and lighting/shadows. We could have a Metroid that plays like Fusion/Zero Mission, has the aesthetic of Prime, and has a bigger map than Super. :swoon:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Monkey Fracas posted:

I was so sure that was coming up on the DS, too, some kind of Super Metroid remake/redesign with the Fusion engine, but we can't have nice things.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
More Metroid is coming and one of them will almost certainly be 2 or 2.5 D.

We might even hear about it this year. After like 8 years without a Metroid game.

ron_paul_happening.gif

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Throughout the games you apparently earn different types of credits which are used to purchase bonus content like concept art and soundtrack stuff. Most of these are earned by just playing the games, but one of the types of credits are friend credits which could only be gotten via the now defunct friend voucher system. You need 15 of them to be able to buy everything. Without them you can still buy a lot of stuff with the other kinds of credits but the ones that require friend credits you'd be locked out of.

Anyone have a list of what stuff would be missing exactly? If it's just concept art and soundtrack stuff, I'm not going to bother with the save file.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Monkey Fracas posted:

More Metroid is coming and one of them will almost certainly be 2 or 2.5 D.

We might even hear about it this year. After like 8 years without a Metroid game.

ron_paul_happening.gif

They've said they're planning a 2d and a 3d Metroid

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

They've said they're planning a 2d and a 3d Metroid

Source please.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Fremry posted:

Source please.

It was in some kotaku interview after E3 last year with Miyamoto and someone called Takahashi

quote:

So it has been a while since we released the last one and we’re having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we’ll be able to share something about them.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

It was in some kotaku interview after E3 last year with Miyamoto and someone called Takahashi

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

That's freaking awesome, and it makes sense why they chose MPT as one of the first Wii diwnloadable games.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fremry posted:

Anyone have a list of what stuff would be missing exactly? If it's just concept art and soundtrack stuff, I'm not going to bother with the save file.

Here's the list of all the credits and what you can buy with them - http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/faqs/58646

In summary, if you get no Friend Credits you miss out on 3 of 7 Metroid Prime 3 concept art packages, the tool that lets you take screen shots, bumper stickers for your ship in MP3, a mii bobblehead for your ship in MP3, and all the dioramas of scenes in MP3. You can get all MP1 and MP2 concept art, and all music from all games without friend credits.

So yeah it's not that much if you don't want to bother with it. Chances are I won't end up unlocking most of the MP3 stuff anyway since there are a ton of optional credits in that game, much more so than in 1 and 2, and you have to play through the game twice including once on the highest difficulty mode and I can't imagine I'm going to bother with that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e;Nevermind i'm dumb

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 29, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Abu Dave posted:

e;Nevermind i'm dumb

Play a match in versus mode.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

Here's the list of all the credits and what you can buy with them - http://www.gamefaqs.com/wii/960329-metroid-prime-trilogy/faqs/58646

Thanks. The only thing I remotely care about on there is the screenshot tool, and I don't care enough to go through the hassle of messing with the save file.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Club Nintendo update is February 1?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Final Club Nintendo update is February 1?

Not that we know of. All that was given was "dozens of games and rewards in February". No dates and no indication other than our guesses that this will be the last update.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Getting the save might be worth it so I can play MP with the fusion suit, the best looking suit, from the beginning.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Monkey Fracas posted:

May I interest you in Control Freak?

(fun fact: both the guy who made Control Freak and the guy who basically pitched the idea of are longtime internet friends of mine, so I even know this was specifically made to give SM a GBA Metroid style control scheme)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

the truth posted:

That's a deal breaker.

do not fret, the full soundtracks for all 3 games are unlockable and the themes for 1 and 2 are available right from the start

edit: i am streaming metroid prime 1 right now, if you're still on the fence give it a look.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 30, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
A little bit of new info on Xenoblade X from the latest Famitsu: Takahashi talked about how the game fills the disc and how they were worried that they wouldn't be able to stream data fast enough but that Nintendo has come up with some other solution that they'll be talking about in the future, which I'm guessing is a HDD install option.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sunning posted:

There has been a flu outbreak in Japan over the past few weeks. Iwata might be still in a recovery phase after his surgery and they don't want to take risks.

I hope he gets well. It better not be Osaka Flu:

my gamepad :ohdear:

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
despite the fact that i already own the metroid prime trilogy badass collectors edition, i bought it again in digital form because 10 bucks is a loving steal and i never have to touch the sweet pristine metal case of the physical form ever again. nintendo has basically got money out of me on 3 separate occasions now for metroid prime 1 and it doesnt even bother me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I have never played any of these games before and it's about to finish installing. I hope I have fun

• Locked thread