Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Scapegoat posted:

What, I remember his gorget wasn't fitted properly and the mountain took advantage of it, how was Littlefinger involved?

Hugh was a household knight without no lands or titles, and was mostly likely too poor to afford his own armor. Then suddenly after Arryn dies Hugh is able to participate in a tourney with a full suit of armor, but no squires or anything to help him with it. And the Mountain kills him just after Littlefinger conveniently tells Eddard Hugh is the man to talk to about Jon Arryn's death.

Armor costs tons of cash. Littlefinger has tons of cash. And since the Mountain is a Lannister bannerman The Mountain killing Hugh diverts attention from Littlefinger's duplicity and further reinforces Eddard's fear of the Lannisters. Littlefinger's been shown to operate this way at others times. He's the one who whispers to Joffrey that Eddard should be beheaded, further pouring fuel on the fire between the Starks and the Lannisters. And Littlefinger just sits back and smiles.

The dude on Race to the Iron Throne website proposed this, and I think it's pretty believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Hugh was a household knight without no lands or titles, and was mostly likely too poor to afford his own armor. Then suddenly after Arryn dies Hugh is able to participate in a tourney with a full suit of armor, but no squires or anything to help him with it. And the Mountain kills him just after Littlefinger conveniently tells Eddard Hugh is the man to talk to about Jon Arryn's death.

Armor costs tons of cash. Littlefinger has tons of cash. And since the Mountain is a Lannister bannerman The Mountain killing Hugh diverts attention from Littlefinger's duplicity and further reinforces Eddard's fear of the Lannisters. Littlefinger's been shown to operate this way at others times. He's the one who whispers to Joffrey that Eddard should be beheaded, further pouring fuel on the fire between the Starks and the Lannisters. And Littlefinger just sits back and smiles.

The dude on Race to the Iron Throne website proposed this, and I think it's pretty believable.

I tend to agree with this. Sounds to me like he was knighted at littlefingers behest and the either crown for "service to the hand" could have awarded him the armor. The mountain has been shown to be pretty skilled with a lance too and against a squire it's a huge mismatch. The mountain had won tourneys before and was able to drive a lance cleanly through berics heart in the midst of battle.

The dudes a badass warrior it's not a big stretch in the least for little finger to have a weakness in the armor and the mountain to be able to hit it.

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Regarding his armour, I just finished re-reading Game of Thrones and there's a bit where Ned and Selmy go to see Hugh's body while the silent sisters are preparing it. Selmy comments that the armour is so new he doesn't know if Hugh had paid it off. Ned volunteers to pay the smith for the outstanding amount and tells the silent sisters to bury Hugh in it.

Of course that doesn't actually definitively prove that LF didn't pay for it, but means it's possible that LF didn't actually fork out for the armour himself.

Regardless, that doesn't disprove the theory he was involved - I think it's quite likely.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Littlefinger is actually Azor Ahai.

He may not be the hero that Westeros needs, but he's the hero that Westeros deserves.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Does anyone have a link to that video of Tywin's death in which someone had edited in a bunch of loud fart noises to make it more like the books?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Beeez posted:

Does anyone have a link to that video of Tywin's death in which someone had edited in a bunch of loud fart noises to make it more like the books?

I wish it was like that, and Tyrion had muttered something like, "Ugh... I guess you don't poo poo gold like they say after all..."

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
"A Lannister always shits his pants." *winks at camera*

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

I'm hoping we get Oleanna to quip at the service, "Well...I guess he didn't poo poo gold"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

webmeister posted:

It's been a couple of years since I've read it, but wasn't her entire rationale "oh he's kinda cute, better make him Lord of Ships"? :laugh:

He looked like Raeghar, because he was the bastard son of House Velaryon, which married with Targaryens multiple times. In fact, he was in King's Landing because he had been captured during the Battle of the Blackwater. There's a non-zero chance he'll take his ships to Stannis!

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So does Vargo Hoat.

:vince:

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Quandary posted:

The show actually works way, way, better with Gendry taking the place of Aegon.

Well I'm convinced.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

IMB posted:

"A Lannister always shits his pants." *winks at camera*

Wait, Dany is a secret Lannister?!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought that the Lannisters had the Mountain kill that squire during the tourney. He was Jon Arrhn's squire, he probably knew about Robert's bastards and maybe about Cersie and Jaime. Or perhaps the Lannisters thought me was just a loose end who had to go just in case he actually did know anything.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
So, the trailer drops tonight, right? Over/under on anything to do with Sansa or Brienne?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always thought that the Lannisters had the Mountain kill that squire during the tourney. He was Jon Arrhn's squire, he probably knew about Robert's bastards and maybe about Cersie and Jaime. Or perhaps the Lannisters thought me was just a loose end who had to go just in case he actually did know anything.

You're supposed to think that. The big twist of the first three books is that the Lannisters as a whole were not engaging in any kind of continent wide schemes and backstabbing, but rather a few clever men managed to trick everyone into thinking they were.

Tywin Lannister was content in the knowledge that his child was the rightful queen and that his family would be part of a new dynasty that would rule the Seven Kingdoms. His biggest ambition was to manage his lands well, and to find a way to convince Jaime to leave the Kingsguard. Tyrion was content to gently caress around on his dad's dime until the day he died, having given up most ambitions to do anything else. And meanwhile Jaime and Cersei were almost content in loving around on the sly while Cersei raised her little psycho prince.

The real trouble was that Cersei kept (ineptly) trying to kill Robert, not for any political reasons but because she (rightfully) despised him. She and Jaime both seemed blissfully unaware that Stannis and Jon Arryn were investigating the lineage of their children and we only believe she acted to protect her children because Littlefinger led us to believe that. Most of the early murders are either completely random events (Joffery trying to kill Bran) or were carried out by Littlefinger in ways that made the Lannisters look suspicious.

A common mistakes that people make is that they 1) believe that Tywin went to war for any reason beyond the reason he stated (in retaliation for the unlawful kidnapping of his son) and 2)they believe a single word Littlefinger ever says (including what he says to Sansa). Littlefinger and Varys both lie their asses off in every book, and absolutely nothing they say should be taken at face value.

EDIT: Littlefinger takes Ned into his "confidence" the same way he takes Sansa. He acts like he is narrating the game being played around him while he is actually manipulating the person into acting the way he wants them to. Neither Ned or Sansa trust Littlefinger, but he pushes past that by saying "Of course you shouldn't trust me, look at this crazy scheming I do!" and then shows them really obvious conspiracies while hiding the good poo poo from them. What is Littlefinger really planning? I don't know...part of the beauty of this story is that you only see what he was up to 3 books after he did it.

Anonymous Zebra fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jan 29, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: Littlefinger takes Ned into his "confidence" the same way he takes Sansa. He acts like he is narrating the game being played around him while he is actually manipulating the person into acting the way he wants them to. Neither Ned or Sansa trust Littlefinger, but he pushes past that by saying "Of course you shouldn't trust me, look at this crazy scheming I do!" and then shows them really obvious conspiracies while hiding the good poo poo from them. What is Littlefinger really planning? I don't know...part of the beauty of this story is that you only see what he was up to 3 books after he did it.

One thing I really like about the books is how bias plays into this. Ned is already hugely biased against the Lannisters, mainly because of the Kingslayer stuff and Tywin being an rear end in a top hat in general and an opportunistic child-murderer in particular. Littlefinger is just using that, Ned really wants to believe that the Lannisters are involved in some shady poo poo so it is really easy to point him towards "evidence" that proves this.

I had a brief flashback to Ned and Littlefinger during my current re-read of ADWD, where Selmy decides to go along with Shaggy's scheme. Because clearly, it had to have been Hizdahr, right? Did you see how hard he wanted Dany to eat those locusts?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Anonymous Zebra posted:

You're supposed to think that. The big twist of the first three books is that the Lannisters as a whole were not engaging in any kind of continent wide schemes and backstabbing, but rather a few clever men managed to trick everyone into thinking they were.

In my opinion this was the really big gently caress up of the last season as this revelation didn't land at all. I don't think most viewers even registered that Littlefinger had admitted to orchestrating the entire series until that point.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

Well I'm convinced.

Show-watchers love Gendry, man. Any excuse to make him relevant again is money in the bank, and Aegon is a bad character who could conceivably be replaced with any given long-shot throne claimant (like Gendry)

Of course, I'm still holding out for Gendry to be the Faith Militant's favored royal candidate in the books, which would probably get in the way of this.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFF0BInuMBk

Anyone checking it out in IMAX? It looks like it would be fun but unfortunately there's none near me :(

Also lol at Benioff's shirt. They both look kinda haggard, I bet this season was a beast to put together with all the extra writing they'll have had to do.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is the season 5 trailer out on the internet yet?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Nope..

What sucks is we will probably have to suffer with lovely phone quality unless HBO are merciful and decide to upload it on the net at the same time, but I think we might have to wait a few days as they haven't said anything about when the trailer is going up outside of Imax.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Yeah and they're selling the trailer as one of the reasons to go to the IMAX show, so I wouldn't expect to see a decent quality online version uploaded by them until after Feb 3.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Maisie's doing an AMA tomorrow.

God help her.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dang, couple more months and we could have asked some really good questions :getin:

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

PriorMarcus posted:

In my opinion this was the really big gently caress up of the last season as this revelation didn't land at all. I don't think most viewers even registered that Littlefinger had admitted to orchestrating the entire series until that point.

They should have brought it up again before Lysa went out the Moon Door. That would have helped with that.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Grendels Dad posted:

Wait, Dany is a secret Lannister?!

Well, there is the theory that Rhaella was having an affair with 16 year old Jaime Lannister, which was why he was protective of her. He obviously has a thing for queens.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

And heeeeeeeere come the bootlegs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMKhdDlKHNE

e: updated it to a better version

colonel_korn fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 30, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I am getting pretty sick of Dany's posturing quips. They start to sound the same after a while.

I WILL ANSWER INJUSTICE WITH JUSTICE

THEY CAN LIVE IN MY NEW WORLD OR DIE IN THEIR OLD ONE

I'M NOT GOING TO STOP THE WHEEL, I'M GOING TO BREAK THE WHEEL

I am looking forward to a higher quality trailer for proper analysis.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Varys is backing Dany. So no more expecting Aegon. Aegon is cut.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
e: actually, no. I don't want to start this derail

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

We can be heros? hahah. ok that ending was p cool

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So who do we think Olenna was putting down? Gotta be Cersei right?

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Some guy on reddit linked this leaked script for the first episode from last year which lines up with some of the trailer stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Stannisswagatheon/posts/814624378577731

If the rest of this is true good to see Lancel and Kevan are returning .

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Wallet Inspector posted:

Some guy on reddit linked this leaked script for the first episode from last year which lines up with some of the trailer stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Stannisswagatheon/posts/814624378577731

If the rest of this is true good to see Lancel and Kevan are returning .

The best part about this is that it would confirm that although Arya is going to be doing her training with somebody who can/ does take the face of Jaqen, it wont necessarily be Jaqen. Which is a much, much better way of going about things. It would've been kind of weird to be all "No little girl, you are no one. Except for me, I'm that guy you met before, remember? My name was Jaqen. Anywho, let's get this training started."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mischitary posted:

The best part about this is that it would confirm that although Arya is going to be doing her training with somebody who can/ does take the face of Jaqen, it wont necessarily be Jaqen. Which is a much, much better way of going about things. It would've been kind of weird to be all "No little girl, you are no one. Except for me, I'm that guy you met before, remember? My name was Jaqen. Anywho, let's get this training started."

Theyre pretty fast and loose with that particular face. No wonder Jaqen was caught its like they all go around offing people with OJs face.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm curious about the Sansa getting revenge bit. She's definitely not in a position to do anything like that in the books as of now.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
LF's tweaking her, and it's hilarious given that it's him that she should have that revenge on (I'm looking forward to seeing it blow up in his face spectacularly). One of those leaked scripts had him chasing Brienne out of the Vale - it's probably this, he's probably doing the 'she's a Lannister come here for you on Lannister orders' routine for Sansa's sake.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Show-Sansa has definitely passed up Book-Sansa.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Lycus posted:

Varys is backing Dany. So no more expecting Aegon. Aegon is cut.

Silly HBO, trying to make us care about Dany and her claim when we know she'll never get to Westeros.

I'm sort of dissapointed; if Aegon is gonna appear in the show, he would show up out of nowhere; at least in the book we had Tyrion with him for a while to connect Aegon to a character we do like. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he is cut completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I just don't think it can be more obvious at this point that Aegon is cut completely.

• Locked thread