Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Acne Rain posted:

The art was good and its a premise that could lead to a lot of creativity.
By the looks of an lp I watched
There's part of the problem, this is one of the worst ways to experience this game. Although it ended up getting a lot of YouTube LP traction due to being a horror game, it's a very unique experience that isn't done justice by watching people blather their way through it.

Even though I understand the criticisms, I strongly disagree with them, it's a unique and personal creation. Then again I'm also biased because it's the best run Kickstarter project I've backed so far, there was actual community involvement through the whole process and the game released in the timeframe given at launch. There have been hardly any projects that have done that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BlackFrost posted:

I just finished Neverending Nightmares.

I'm very curious to see the Kickstarter video for this game because I have no idea how something so boring could get funded. Dude must've put on a pretty excellent pitch.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinitap/neverending-nightmares

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There's part of the problem, this is one of the worst ways to experience this game. Although it ended up getting a lot of YouTube LP traction due to being a horror game, it's a very unique experience that isn't done justice by watching people blather their way through it.

It's the worst game I played all of last year and it's trash no matter how it's being experienced.

One more knock against Kickstarter, really.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I think it was funded entirely on its artstyle and promise of the macabre. And while the first couple of areas did deliver on that promise, it outstayed its welcome and dragged like nothing else. I feel it would've been more at home as a point-and-click than what we ended up with. At least they could've given us more background objects to interact with, rather than the occasional painting and... well, not much else really.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Even though I understand the criticisms, I strongly disagree with them, it's a unique and personal creation. Then again I'm also biased because it's the best run Kickstarter project I've backed so far, there was actual community involvement through the whole process and the game released in the timeframe given at launch. There have been hardly any projects that have done that.
The thing is that it doesn't come off as unique or personal; it seems like a bunch of cobbled together ideas from any number of horror sources with the backstory of the game's creator having a mental breakdown at some point. None of what came across in the game seemed relative to the creator's life or what I assumed he went through, and if there was meant to be some deeper symbolism then it was entirely lost. Now granted the art style was interesting and what drew me in initially, I completely lost interest once I realized it was just slowly walking towards a scare in repetitive rooms or backtracking through repetitive rooms to trigger another scare. Not to mention those silly kickstarter portraits littered around the game world....jesus, that game was such a let down.

It makes feel as letdown as knowing that Dreadout will probably take years to finish, and instead they'll just keep making new shirts or something for the main character to wear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It was one from something awful, I just forgot the poster.
It used subtitles to preserve the atmosphere.
I admit I half-watched it since that's one of the reasons I watch lps, but I got the jist of what the game had to offer and what I seem to remember is that the environments were repetitive and the horror was direct bloody/deathly kind and not really weird (except the dolls).
I've played enough indie walking games back in the day that I am loathe to play any more with few exceptions.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

indie walking games

This is a decent way to put it. Neverending Nightmares is a less interesting, less imaginative Yume Nikki clone with a completely wasted artstyle.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anyone looking for a Kickstarted horror game set in a nightmarish world that runs on dream logic should play LISA.

This comes with the bonus of also being a Kickstarted humor game set in a nightmarish world that runs on dream logic.

Though I suppose some folks might disagree about it being horror at all. It's about the grinding depression of how lovely people can be, not tense, supernatural situations. More of a constant, low level sense of dread than outright scary stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Oxxidation posted:

This is a decent way to put it. Neverending Nightmares is a less interesting, less imaginative Yume Nikki clone with a completely wasted artstyle.

"indie walking simulation" is a buzzword these days but there's a few games like it I like (Yume Nikki, Gone Home). And many I hated (Every Day the Same Dream, Passage, Home) The trick is giving the player something to think about. That means not being direct and deadpan about absolutely everything that is in your story. Challenge their imagination instead of reflexes or stat counting.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The sad thing is that the guy who made Neverending Nightmares is dead set against giving the player more things to do in the game. I was loving hurting for some interactivity, some puzzles, some actual enemies, loving anything other than walking through the same hallways and looking at stuff.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaaGhKeODVU

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 29, 2015

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
re: indie walking. I kinda liked dear esther but I'll never play it again.

Is it in this thread that I heard about Year Walk ? I bought it because I vaguely associate it with someone on SA saying something about it, is it good ?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Acne Rain posted:

"indie walking simulation" is a buzzword these days but there's a few games like it I like (Yume Nikki, Gone Home). And many I hated (Every Day the Same Dream, Passage, Home) The trick is giving the player something to think about. That means not being direct and deadpan about absolutely everything that is in your story. Challenge their imagination instead of reflexes or stat counting.

I find Gone Home is less of a 'walking simulation' and more of an exploration game. I mean, yes, ostensibly you can just walk around the house, but 90% of the enjoyment comes from exploring it and learning about the people that inhabit it. You have some agency in the level of depth that you can explore these people's lives - if you really wanted to, you could just beat the game in, what, 30 seconds or so?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
"walking sim" still applies because your character control is mostly walking and unlike most indie walking games it is possible in real life to walk around an area in a nonlinear fashion so it's proper for a simulation to reflect this.

yume nikki has even more nonlinear walking action, and has even less gameplay beyond walking, and it still is generally in that category.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

re: indie walking. I kinda liked dear esther but I'll never play it again.

Is it in this thread that I heard about Year Walk ? I bought it because I vaguely associate it with someone on SA saying something about it, is it good ?
It's wonderful, albeit a bit short. It's a super atmospheric game and teaches you about Nordic folklore, and it's just a lovely tablet port.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Niggurath posted:

Not to mention those silly kickstarter portraits littered around the game world....jesus, that game was such a let down.

Haha were most of the portraits really just Kickstarter backers? That makes the let's play of it I watched doubly funny with the dude dutifully examining each portrait like "Okay this guy in this portrait looks like an older version of that guy in the other portrait. I'm sure this is deeply symbolic and also relevant to the story."

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

Haha were most of the portraits really just Kickstarter backers? That makes the let's play of it I watched doubly funny with the dude dutifully examining each portrait like "Okay this guy in this portrait looks like an older version of that guy in the other portrait. I'm sure this is deeply symbolic and also relevant to the story."
Yup:

Also you could pay a poo poo load of money to get a sound effect in the game. Poot.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

dijon du jour posted:

Ugh I had no idea about that. The loving portraits were one of the few things that actually stood out to me and I was constantly trying to figure out what they were. So now I know Neverending Nightmares has even less going on. Cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Niggurath posted:

It's wonderful, albeit a bit short. It's a super atmospheric game and teaches you about Nordic folklore, and it's just a lovely tablet port.

How does the PC version handle the companion app stuff? Because that's almost the coolest part.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

How does the PC version handle the companion app stuff? Because that's almost the coolest part.
Hmmm, if it's just the encyclopedia thing (which is seems to be from the app store) then yeah, that's include in the Steam version. There's actually a puzzle the necessitates it being there, at least in the steam version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I don't know why I haven't but I should check out Year Walk. If there's a folklore encyclopedia built in then it already reminds me of Cosmology of Kyoto which GOG or someone needs to get on hunting the rights down like right now.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I've heard nothing but good things about Year Walk. I really should play that ASAP.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oxxidation posted:

It's the worst game I played all of last year and it's trash no matter how it's being experienced.

One more knock against Kickstarter, really.
I completely disagree, I've seen too many Kickstarter projects fold up, release half-finished projects, and come out years past the target date to see this as anything but a big success as far as the whole Kickstarter project process is concerned. This one delivered what it said it would, when it said it would, and kept backers up to date throughout the whole process.

Now whether the finished game ended up being good is a different matter, I seem to be in the minority in loving it. I'd agree it has issues with pacing and interactions, but the buildup and style were enough to keep me going.

Yodzilla posted:

The sad thing is that the guy who made Neverending Nightmares is dead set against giving the player more things to do in the game. I was loving hurting for some interactivity, some puzzles, some actual enemies, loving anything other than walking through the same hallways and looking at stuff.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaaGhKeODVU
He's taken in all the criticism about those things and the next project is supposed to be more gameplay focused. I don't think he did a video update about it yet, but he's been kicking around ideas on the game forums.

Niggurath posted:

The thing is that it doesn't come off as unique or personal; it seems like a bunch of cobbled together ideas from any number of horror sources with the backstory of the game's creator having a mental breakdown at some point. None of what came across in the game seemed relative to the creator's life or what I assumed he went through, and if there was meant to be some deeper symbolism then it was entirely lost. Now granted the art style was interesting and what drew me in initially, I completely lost interest once I realized it was just slowly walking towards a scare in repetitive rooms or backtracking through repetitive rooms to trigger another scare. Not to mention those silly kickstarter portraits littered around the game world....jesus, that game was such a let down.

It makes feel as letdown as knowing that Dreadout will probably take years to finish, and instead they'll just keep making new shirts or something for the main character to wear.
All the self mutilation scenes came from actual OCD and depression thoughts, although the scenes do seem disconnected without that info. Although they're physiologically impossible, the arm things still disturb me when I see them.

Dreadout did an update not long ago, so I was hoping to see the next part soon, but who knows at this point!

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Acne Rain posted:

It was one from something awful, I just forgot the poster.
It used subtitles to preserve the atmosphere.
I admit I half-watched it since that's one of the reasons I watch lps, but I got the jist of what the game had to offer and what I seem to remember is that the environments were repetitive and the horror was direct bloody/deathly kind and not really weird (except the dolls).
I've played enough indie walking games back in the day that I am loathe to play any more with few exceptions.
I think I found it, I didn't catch that thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3671502&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Cool, I'll check it out. I like watching LPs of this game.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I mean, don't get me wrong. Neverending Nightmares has interesting moments, and even though I didn't look at the Kickstarter at all I could tell the developer was trying to explore mental illness and all that. It's just that I don't think he succeeded very well. There were far too many points in the game where I entered a door and thought, "Christ, ANOTHER stair case?" or "Okay, and now I just gotta walk to the end of this hallway while avoiding this level's gimmick monster for the 30th time, aaaand...good! Oh, another hallway." It didn't help that the gimmick monsters weren't very threatening, nor did they do anything...even remotely interesting other than see you and start to run after you. He talks about how things like a UI or interactive stuff in the room break immersion, but boring rear end same-y gameplay breaks it just as hard.

I get that he wanted interactions to be minimal, and that's fine. But nothing really happened that kept my interest for very long in any segment. Perhaps if they had each been shortened--and I mean shortened *a lot*, like 50%--I would've enjoyed it a bit more, but as it is now, the game is just so boring that even though I want to know what the other endings are I just sincerely don't want to play through any chapters again.

It sucks because the game nails the atmosphere and sound design, but it ruins it all with cheap jump scares and "chase sequences" that are infinitely more frustrating than they are scary. Oh no! The axe guy is here and you took .1 seconds too long to start running! Now you get to do the last few floors again. Isn't that exciting???

Honestly, the game looks and feels like a Newgrounds game. If it had been uploaded to Newgrounds it would probably look and play exactly like it does, and it wouldn't feel out of place at all on that website.

If you want a decent-ish horror game that deals with things like depression in a personal way that is also, you know, a pretty good video game, The Cat Lady is much better for your money IMO.

e: Also, credit where credit is due: the dolls were freaky. I was terrified one of them might get up and start coming after me. Thank god the game opted for the extremely stupid "GIANT DUDE WITH BIG ARMS" instead because otherwise I might've gotten scared or something.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 30, 2015

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
neverending nightmares is one man's quest to find all the ham

the antagonists are his broken knees

(grabbed this game a couple sales ago after some goon recs, finally started it up tonight. I wouldn't say it's outright scary so far, but it's subtly uneasy, and that's something I can appreciate. On the other hand I've only encountered one 'chase' and it was more adorable than terrifying/frustrating, so maybe it'll get worse once I get into the meat of the game)

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
Ever wonder what happens when you mash up Mechcommander, xcom, the aliens franchise, and space hulk? You get the roguelike Deadnauts. You can now live out your aliens squad commanding fantasies with this game. I first saw Bikeman stream this and I am pleasantly surprised by the deceptive simplelike gameplay. The overall analog military theme really sells the horror aspect when your squad is overwhelmed or is slowly whittled down as you try to follow your objectives. I really wish I had time to play this game but alas the MMOs call me.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
As one of the poor bastards who love the Alone in the Dark series, I got to play a bit of the beta for Illumination. I'm running just below minimum specs, sadly, so I knew I wasn't going to get the game at its best, but... it's pretty dire. I had the game at its lowest settings and it ran at like, 15 frames, but ok. Ignoring all that, the load times are atrocious, but surely that'll be fixed as they keep going, or at least I'd hope so, right? Anyway, once you get into the game there's a big block of ugly text to give you the story, and then suddenly it's a mix of Left 4 Dead, except with seemingly infinite enemies, and Alan Wake, with them only being able to be injured in the light. Not any light, your flashlight won't do, but a burning barrel will, and a street lamp will. The animations are really, really bad, like, free Unity engine game bad.

There's some randomisation that's neat in idea, but all I've seen of it is "do you go through a house or a train yard first," though again I've not been able to get very far. I've seen three enemy types, one weird lanky thing that hits you, a weird lanky thing that explodes when it dies, and a gargoyle that spits at you, possibly through walls on occasion. Also, the camera is from the Evil Within school of thought, in that it's in super, super tight. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, except the only indication that you're taking damage is a super subtle animation when you get hit, so it's really easy to just suddenly get the "you're dead!" pop-up, and it does just appear. There's no keeling over death animation or anything, you just suddenly disappear from the screen and a thing pops up to tell you your scores. There might be a scream, but if there is it's really quiet.

But, you know, below minimum specs, so I check out some videos. Every problem is there, save for poor frames. And seeing how it looks from people playing on "Epic" settings... it really doesn't look that good! Not bad, I'd say, but not stunning and fantastic, and especially not enough to warrant such high requirements. Just because you can use UE4, I suppose. I don't think there are any good UE4 games out yet, and this certainly doesn't seem to be bucking the trend.

But who knows, it's a beta, maybe Atari will go under and it won't actually be released, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I don't think there is even a possible timeline where Alone in the Dark: Illumination is good so this doesn't surprise me. I did actually play a bit of The New Nightmare fairly recently and boy has that aged terribly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had to look up Illumination and I cannot believe there are people somewhere making decisions that the game is in any kind of state to make money, let alone be released as a "beta" for people to play. I would be personally embarrassed to have that game seen by anyone even if my only job was to sell it.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Aww man now you all made me think of that series...

The New Nightmare was so, so terrible. Nearly (well almost entirely) unplayable, and so hamfistedly written.

drat :smith:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

CheeseSpawn posted:

Ever wonder what happens when you mash up Mechcommander, xcom, the aliens franchise, and space hulk? You get the roguelike Deadnauts. You can now live out your aliens squad commanding fantasies with this game. I first saw Bikeman stream this and I am pleasantly surprised by the deceptive simplelike gameplay. The overall analog military theme really sells the horror aspect when your squad is overwhelmed or is slowly whittled down as you try to follow your objectives. I really wish I had time to play this game but alas the MMOs call me.

This reads like a really really bad sales pitch from a clueless ad man, especially since you apparently don't have the time to play it yourself. So thanks for making me not want to play it.

E: how does an account from 2004 make such a lovely post

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 30, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Improbable Lobster posted:

This reads like a really really bad sales pitch from a clueless ad man, especially since you apparently don't have the time to play it yourself. So thanks for making me not want to play it.

It's actually a pretty fun game. Visually there isn't much to it. The deadnauts are blue blips and the aliens are red. You play the guy sitting in a janky spaceship trying to coordinate everything.

The deadnauts don't get along completely with each other so you have to manage morale. In the meantime your ship has issues where audio/video will cut out so you have to reroute power at times so you don't lose the feed.

The deadnauts themselves have skills and roles and equipment so while one can hack really well his ability to shoot might be poo poo. You also can give a guy a scanner to scan behind doors before you open them.

Rooms have integrity and if your deadnauts are poo poo at shooting or using explosives they can cause a hull break which immediately seals the doors locking your deadnauts in while the air slowly ticks away killing them.

I didn't get very far but from what I played of it it's fun.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

I simply named dropped a potential sleeper, thanks for calling me a shill. I did my best to try and describe the game experience in a few sentences . In fact, since you didnt catch the space hulk reference, it means I totally failed. I should commit internet sudoku right now.

Thanks Len for a pretty concise summary of the gameplay.

Also I'm a bad person because I dont play all the games I buy from steam/indies which means I shouldnt even support them apparently.

Edit: wait why am I giving a poo poo about other poo poo posters again?

CheeseSpawn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 31, 2015

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Lmao, yeah, at his posting level he should at least be twice as informative/funny. Probably put too many points into MMO HMO. Its an easy mistake to make, though, it isn't immediately obvious that you should diversify your stats a bit more and put some floating points in gbs or pet island.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Lmao, yeah, at his posting level he should at least be twice as informative/funny. Probably put too many points into MMO HMO. Its an easy mistake to make, though, it isn't immediately obvious that you should diversify your stats a bit more and put some floating points in gbs or pet island.

This but completely unironically

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

So do any of you guys recall a horror game for the PS1 that had you going into a large cabin or mansion, and it was kind of a first person adventure game with light mechanics (i.e. illuminating a room by opening windows or some such nonsense). I definitely remember it was a lesser known horror game but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Echo Night, maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Niggurath posted:

So do any of you guys recall a horror game for the PS1 that had you going into a large cabin or mansion, and it was kind of a first person adventure game with light mechanics (i.e. illuminating a room by opening windows or some such nonsense). I definitely remember it was a lesser known horror game but I can't remember the name of it to save my life.

The Note

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

al-azad posted:

The Note

And I thought I had played through all of the horror games on the PSX. Curse you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RadicalR posted:

And I thought I had played through all of the horror games on the PSX. Curse you!

One of those rare English-release-in-Europe-only games like Michigan. There's a few Japanese text heavy horror games I've been meaning to check out this year like Iru but outside of Resident Evil and Silent Hill there's not much good to see on playstation.