Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

madadric posted:

There's a link to all the PDFs Here

AWESOME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
How worried should I be about a monster being too powerful? As far as I can tell every monster encounter is fairly even aside from big boss monsters like dragons, and characters don't exponentially get stronger like D&D, but is there any chance of a straightforward fight being too much for the pcs to deal with?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

chaos rhames posted:

How worried should I be about a monster being too powerful? As far as I can tell every monster encounter is fairly even aside from big boss monsters like dragons, and characters don't exponentially get stronger like D&D, but is there any chance of a straightforward fight being too much for the pcs to deal with?

Coming into encounter design from DND, where everything has a neat little "you must be this swole to fight" number, and World of Darkness, where some back-of-the-envelope probability and gut checking can generally get you through combat design, Dungeon World's combat design gave me similar fears. I was less afraid of pulling my punches too much, and more afraid of accidentally punching way too hard. However, PCs are more durable than you give them credit for, even before Moves. You generally won't be utterly splattering someone in one roll unless they're made of glass and trying to fist-fight a dragon, and even then, you need to be way overdoing things. If you do accidentally have a moment of "wait, gently caress, that kills you," Last Breath gives a PC very good odds they'll get right back up (albeit likely with a few strings attached.)

That doesn't mean every combat is pillow fisted though. Far from it, actually! It gives you free reign to have your baddies fight like they mean it. Instead of dealing damage when the ogre slaps the poo poo out of someone, you can make a move instead. Knock the shield out of their hands, dizzy them, throw a wrench into the works. Nail-biting combat where the players realize you're out for blood, while you're still allowing for the back and forth and giving them a strong shot at surviving, are what rule the day.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's good to know. I was residually worried from when I thought health was class base plus the modifier. Judging from google, everyone thinks that once.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

chaos rhames posted:

That's good to know. I was residually worried from when I thought health was class base plus the modifier. Judging from google, everyone thinks that once.

Yeah, DW characters start with a lot more hit points than a standard old school D&D character, meaning that combat isn't quite as swingy (because you don't get enemies one-shotting PCs at 1st-level) but it can still be potentially deadly (getting a faceful of dragon-breath deals enough damage to give even the toughest Paladin or Fighter pause).

Don't sweat the numbers: you can throw as many as twice the party's numbers in mooks (like goblins or kobolds) at the players. If the PCs plow through them you've got a bunch of moves (both standard GM moves and monster moves) to move the fight elsewhere (goblins and kobolds both have moves for retreating and regrouping or coming back with many more) or to introduce more mooks or some other hazard (again, goblins have a move for calling reinforcements, kobolds have a move for laying a trap should the PCs pursue the fleeing kobolds).

If, on the other hand, your players roll badly and are on the verge of dying the system's got a bunch of safety nets in place: as I said, the PCs have enough hit points that even at first level they can take a lot of hits, and this has the effect of telegraphing to the players early on if they're in way over their heads. Even when they are taking a bad beating they can always retreat or even try negotiating.

Also, tangentially, I feel that DW is by far the best D&D-like for running single big monsters as "boss-fights" because of its back-and-forth nature. Whenever a player makes a move, the GM can also make a move, even if it's just a move to set up another move. In this way you can avoid those situations where the big-rear end monster just stands in place, attacking the PCs once a turn, because potentially anything the PCs do can be used to set up another move for the monster.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Man, two sessions in and all I can say is that my group has really surprised me. My rough sketch of the session looked like "Explore shanty-town -> ??? -> Enter inner city -> Dragon cult?" What it ended up as was the players starting a huge turf war between rival gangs to throw off some people they thought were following them, not really thinking through their escape strategy, and then spelunking through the hidden tunnels under the city to rescue the Dragon Mage after he got trapped under a giant pile of rubble - ill-advised parkour on shoddy construction, naturally - and carried off. Then our Ranger proved, despite being the sweetest Southern lady in real life, that she has some killer blood-thirst. Necks were snapped, people were stabbed, and her wolf feasted on the flesh of the living.

Everyone's at level 2 now, so there's a pretty interesting spread of powers and whatnot. The Dragon Mage grabbed the freeze move from the Winter Mage (I spotted him the chill stat, but not the damage-cancelling part of it), the Survivor picked up a Signature Weapon (a huge axe, naturally), and the Ranger took the Spout Lore with WIS move. The Dragon Mage has proven himself a combat monster in the past and now has fire and ice powers, the Survivor is super charismatic and talky, and the Ranger has a lot of narrative control with Spouting Lore/Discerning Realities with a +2.

Overall, lots of fun, and we'll finally check out the rumored Dragon Stone Mine next time. Home to some sort of monster infestation, mutated by exposure to ambient magic. Should be a good time.

Are there any general guidelines for creating compendium classes and keeping them reasonably balanced?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

madadric posted:

There's a link to all the PDFs Here

You should auxiliary, deflector, dish, circuit, and system to your technobabble lists somewhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Tricky posted:

Are there any general guidelines for creating compendium classes and keeping them reasonably balanced?

Not any more than there are guidelines for creating moves in general.

In general, compendium classes tend to build outward from a single starting move or premise.

The best thing to do is just post what you're looking to do and ask for feedback. And/or copy other existing moves.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Tricky posted:

If I'm allowed to recommend my own stuff, there's a bit of (admittedly fairly heavily edited for cogency) advice for general compendium class construction that I wrote that was included towards the end of the Unofficial Dungeon World Guide.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
You should definitely recommend the guide as much as possible because it rules hard.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Glazius posted:

Not any more than there are guidelines for creating moves in general.

In general, compendium classes tend to build outward from a single starting move or premise.

The best thing to do is just post what you're looking to do and ask for feedback. And/or copy other existing moves.

Okay, so in the setting of the game I'm running, dragons don't really pass on when they die. Their spirits are shackled to their corpse, unless something disturbs them. After a long time, the corpses can break down into small blue gems that contain fractions of these souls. The Dragon Mage was a guy who touched a dragon's bones and is now hosting a dead dragon.

He's expressed interest in adding more dragons into his collection to get crazy elemental powers and they're going to be going into a mine full of those dragon gems. So, depending on what all goes down, he could end up stuffed to the gills with dragon souls. So I was thinking something along the following lines:

Vessel of the Dragons

When you absorb the souls of many dragons, you may take this move when you next level up:

Essence of Tiamat

When you call upon Dragon's Fire, you may instead emit a blast of frost, lightning, acid, or poisonous gas.
Choose or create an additional Dragon's Desire, you must satisfy both desires when the Dragon's Desire overtakes you. -- Not sure how to word this. Basically I just want him to need to do both to escape the penalties associated with Form of the Dragon and Dragon's Gift.

Once you’ve taken Essence of Tiamat, the following moves count as class moves for you. In addition to your normal list of moves, you may choose from this list when you level up.

Scales of the Five

When you gain +Armor or immunity to an element, it applies to all elemental damage.

Chromatic Might

When you attack using Rending Claws or a Spiked Tail, you may add one Elemental tag of your choice.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Those all sound good.
What about doing some that aren't as physical.

Like one where the spirits of all these dragons are talking in his head constantly, and he can gain a lot of insight from their wisdom, but they also have to deal with hundreds of competing voices, opinions, memories, etc. And have to make an effort to sort through it all to get anything useful.

Off the top of my head I'd imagine it working like a fusion of discern realities and ritual.
Like you roll for hold, but can ask any question you want per hold, there's no list
But fir each question asked you have one or more ritual-style complications that need fulfilling
This list should be more mental or social in nature, (and things like having to fulfill multiple desires fits that really well) to represent that it's an internal struggle between him and a bunch of dragons.

E: And totally call it Voice of the Ancients or something really grandiose

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 30, 2015

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Error 404 posted:

Like one where the spirits of all these dragons are talking in his head constantly, and he can gain a lot of insight from their wisdom, but they also have to deal with hundreds of competing voices, opinions, memories, etc. And have to make an effort to sort through it all to get anything useful.

On a 6- your question is the topic of a long-dormant flamewar and now those bickering, scaly old bastards WON'T SHUT UP, -1 forward until your actions resolve the matter one way or another.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Whybird posted:

On a 6- your question is the topic of a long-dormant flamewar and now those bickering, scaly old bastards WON'T SHUT UP, -1 forward until your actions resolve the matter one way or another.

OH SNAP! that's loving great!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Whybird posted:

Ha! "Flame war"! I love it!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Error 404 posted:

Those all sound good.
What about doing some that aren't as physical.

Off the top of my head I'd imagine it working like a fusion of discern realities and ritual.
Like you roll for hold, but can ask any question you want per hold, there's no list
But fir each question asked you have one or more ritual-style complications that need fulfilling
This list should be more mental or social in nature, (and things like having to fulfill multiple desires fits that really well) to represent that it's an internal struggle between him and a bunch of dragons.

E: And totally call it Voice of the Ancients or something really grandiose

Yeah, that sounds really cool. I'll have to do some thinking on fun conditions.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So, here are the current goals of the PCs of the game of Inverse World I'm running:

- Deal with the weird cultists of Sola who want him to break free of the Cage, on their shitlist because they sent most of an island to die fighing Khesat spiders trying to overthrow its government: ON HOLD

- Deal with the supreme rear end in a top hat wizard master of teleportation and gating magics, who stole one of the MacGuffins right from under their noses: ON HOLD

- Go get rich and famous at a coliseum: INTERRUPTED

- Capture an ancient biomechanical war machine literally fueled by hatred, a relic of an ancient and world-shattering war, sold to unwitting managers to fight in the coliseum by aforementioned rear end in a top hat wizard: COMPLETED

- Go make diplomatic contact with local smugglers and pirates
- so they can buy ten pounds of pipeweed from them
- so they can hotbox the war machine
- so it will chill the gently caress out long enough for them to study it: IN PROGRESS

I love my players, and I love Dungeon World for making this progression seem completely organic.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What if the pipeweed makes it get all emotional and start talking about it's personal issues? Could be embarrassing all around.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

chaos rhames posted:

What if the pipeweed makes it get all emotional and start talking about it's personal issues? Could be embarrassing all around.

yeah, this has to happen. The warmachine (his name is now Ted) is just crying an talking in ALL CAPS about how he's so misunderstood and just wants some friends.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Error 404 posted:

yeah, this has to happen. The warmachine (his name is now Ted) is just crying an talking in ALL CAPS about how he's so misunderstood and just wants some friends.

Could only be improved if its starts writing whiny poetry about how it's dad just doesn't GET him.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

NO YOU SHUT UP! I DON'T WANNA BE BUILT FOR DESTRUCTION!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Reading about others' experiences of using Inverse World it's always weird to read that almost everyone, myself included, has used some variation of a cult trying to release Sola from its cage.

Another thing I've also liked about Inverse World is how every campaign tends to cast Sola differently: I've used Sola as a caged horror that if released would destroy all of Invells, but I could see Sola cast in a different light if there was a Lantern in the group.

Also, I love Inverse World because it enabled the following situation to emerge in play: the group I ran it for had a Rainlord and a Walker from the Cloud Seas, meaning she could walk on water, rain and clouds. During one fight with Khesat spiders attacking the PCs' ship the Rainlord made it rain in the area, allowing the Walker to run into the sky using the raindrops as steps to punch a spider in the face. The Rainlord also considered taking the move that would've allowed him to shoot water from his body, allowing the Walker to surf on bolts of water in a weird variant of the Fastball Special.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I was reminded the other day that I wrote up some madness rules for DW about two years back, so I went and took another look at them. I made some edits and added moves for the Barbarian since that wasn't around when I first wrote them.

I could use some fresh eyes on this, so I enabled comments so people could give feedback: The Roads To Madness

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I was reminded the other day that I wrote up some madness rules for DW about two years back, so I went and took another look at them. I made some edits and added moves for the Barbarian since that wasn't around when I first wrote them.

I could use some fresh eyes on this, so I enabled comments so people could give feedback: The Roads To Madness

it doesn't strike me as something I'd use very often, but I can see some potential in the system. My only consern is that there is a risk of someone who's got Wits as a dump stat is going to go mad a lot more than anyone else. I'm also not a fan of a move deciding what action a character must take on a six. That should really be in the hands of the player or the GM.

I'll give it a more in depth look later.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arashiofordo3 posted:

I'm also not a fan of a move deciding what action a character must take on a six. That should really be in the hands of the player or the GM.
You mean the "you must flee, panic, beg, or fight" thing? That's pretty much a c&p from the Fear spell.

e: man, I have barely posted in this thread.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 5, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Evil Mastermind posted:

You mean the "you must flee, panic, beg, or fight" thing? That's pretty much a c&p from the Fear spell.

e: man, I have barely posted in this thread.

I think if you remove beg, it should be ok wrt player agency. Like it should then be vague enough that player and GM have enough room to flee, panic, or fight on their own terms so long as they flee, panic, or fight because they're being supernaturally driven to do so. I'd ascribe begging to be a subset of panic.

E: also saw this on G+.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

I think if you remove beg, it should be ok wrt player agency. Like it should then be vague enough that player and GM have enough room to flee, panic, or fight on their own terms so long as they flee, panic, or fight because they're being supernaturally driven to do so. I'd ascribe begging to be a subset of panic.

E: also saw this on G+.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I took "beg" out.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Would anyone who got the Immolator be willing to share it? My Inverse World Captain player has been wanting to respec, bascially, since the adventure has moved away from ships lately.

I'm not trying to pull a :files: - I actually did donate to the charity of choice back in September and have the paypal receipt to prove it. However, LaTorra and Koebel apparently stopped checking the email after August, and the general release has been way delayed. and when I asked about it on G+ they just had a coy non-answer..

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Sionak posted:

Would anyone who got the Immolator be willing to share it? My Inverse World Captain player has been wanting to respec, bascially, since the adventure has moved away from ships lately.

I'm not trying to pull a :files: - I actually did donate to the charity of choice back in September and have the paypal receipt to prove it. However, LaTorra and Koebel apparently stopped checking the email after August, and the general release has been way delayed. and when I asked about it on G+ they just had a coy non-answer..

Same thing here, I donated and sent them the receipt like 3 times and nothing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Overemotional Robot posted:

Same thing here, I donated and sent them the receipt like 3 times and nothing.

Same. :smith:

BlurryMystr
Aug 22, 2005

You're wrong, man. I'm going to fight you on this one.
Email me the receipt at BlurryMystr (at) Gmail (dot) com and I can share it.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~
One of my friends made a really cool magical item and I think you guys might be interested in it

The Ring of Arguable Reality
When you would argue with reality roll +CHA. On a 10+ reality begrudgingly agrees with you that something has slipped past it and "fixes" the problem so long as it is minor enough that reality could be tricked or it is actually an illusion.
On a 7-9 pick 1:
  • Reality refuses to grant you your argument but is feeling smug about winning so it doesn't tune you out.
  • Reality is exasperated with you: You get a minor change as with a 10+ but reality refuses to listen to you for at least the rest of the day [GM's choice for time based on the player argument]
On a 6 or lower reality is not only tuning you out but will mischievously mess with you in some minor way [GM's choice]

I'm kind of thinking of putting this in my campaign, but it feels a bit weak and mostly a silly flavor thing that sometimes does what you want. Anybody have any ideas what I could do with it?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Good Username Here posted:

One of my friends made a really cool magical item and I think you guys might be interested in it

The Ring of Arguable Reality
When you would argue with reality roll +CHA. On a 10+ reality begrudgingly agrees with you that something has slipped past it and "fixes" the problem so long as it is minor enough that reality could be tricked or it is actually an illusion.
On a 7-9 pick 1:
  • Reality refuses to grant you your argument but is feeling smug about winning so it doesn't tune you out.
  • Reality is exasperated with you: You get a minor change as with a 10+ but reality refuses to listen to you for at least the rest of the day [GM's choice for time based on the player argument]
On a 6 or lower reality is not only tuning you out but will mischievously mess with you in some minor way [GM's choice]

I'm kind of thinking of putting this in my campaign, but it feels a bit weak and mostly a silly flavor thing that sometimes does what you want. Anybody have any ideas what I could do with it?

Give it to a mischievous child, who thinks he's got an invisible friend who helps him out from time to time.

But he's actually arguing with the fabric of reality itself and has no idea what he's messing with.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
The first 7-9 option is kind of a non-choice: rolls should never lead to 'nothing happens'. It would work better if 7-9 were a choice between getting your wish and exhausting the ring, and getting your wish but creating a new problem for yourself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Whybird posted:

The first 7-9 option is kind of a non-choice: rolls should never lead to 'nothing happens'. It would work better if 7-9 were a choice between getting your wish and exhausting the ring, and getting your wish but creating a new problem for yourself.

Reality gets whimsical with your wish and grants or with an ironic twist?

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
One of my players is playing a demon from the Inferno, which is a free-market libertarianism-themed Hell. His character has risen through the ranks enough that she's on the board of one of Hell's corporations and has asked about getting a company car. This is the Mammon Mount, what she's getting, slightly modified so that it works with any class and not just hers:

One side of the card posted:

The Golden Bear
When you order the Golden Bear to transform, spend 100 coin and flip this card.

When the Golden Bear does one of the following, roll +CON. On a hit it succeeds. On a 7-9, also flip this card. On a 6-, flip this card and the GM makes a move.
* Advance forward cautiously
* Strike down and pin an enemy.
* Hold back a physical force.

The other side of the card posted:

The Golden Bull
When you order the Golden Bull to transform, spend 100 coin and flip this card.

When the Golden Bull does one of the following, roll +STR. On a hit it succeeds. On a 7-9, also flip this card. On a 6-, flip this card and the GM makes a move.
* Charge forward recklessly
* Strike up and knock an enemy away.
* Smash through a physical barrier.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Hey Goons, I am looking for a DM resource.

It was bunch of dungeon ideas, as PDF's with no like actual rules of any sort so it could be used for a bunch of systems?
There were really goo descriptions and suggestions for bestiary.
Anyone know what I am talking about? Maybe done by someone named Danny?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking for some World of Dungeons help:

I'll be starting a World of Dungeons game set in a kid-friendly mythical Scandinavia ("You all live in a village on the edge of a forest that's all big and scary and probably full of trolls and capricious nature spirits, but sometimes you kids must brave the forest and go adventuring because the adults of the village are useless."). I'll be giving out a bunch of prefab starting kits with moat of the abilities chosen and with a bit of a fill-in-the-blanks background (for an example, the apprentice witch will have "You were taught by the village wisewoman/a powerful Lappish witch/the goddess Freya herself!") and I need a bit of help with whether I've got plenty of different possible archetypes to choose from.

The ones I've got thus far are:
The Young Hothead (basically the kid who wants to be a real warrior some day!)
The Jarl's Firstborn (another warrior type, this one of a more noble bearing and with Leadership instead of Athletics as a skill)
The Apprentice Skald (a thief type focused on knowledge and wordplay, probably with the Lore and Deception skills)
The Young Courtier (another roguish type, this one all about Deception and Stealth)
The Gothi's Assistant (essentially a Cleric, but with one half of the talents and skills dependent on which of the Aesir or Vanir the village is dedicated to)
The Apprentice Witch/Wizard (I'm still debating whether I should make these separate archetypes and if I were to do that how to differentiate them)
The Aspiring Hunter (has bow and knowledge of Survival)
The Elven Changeling (I know changelings are more of a Celtic thing, but this seemed the way to go for a stealthy mage type)
The Dwarf's Apprentice (essentially a human boy/girl apprenticed to a wise old dwarven tinker, one of the leading questions for this one being why they were apprenticed)

Do you think I've got enough bases covered there or do I need more? Maybe get rid of some? The sorts of adventures I see running for this lot are going to be of the sort of "Some little kid got lost in the woods and they need to be returned home, but some nature spirit has already claimed the kids as their own" or "There have been lots of earthquakes recently, the reason being that one of the hills is actually a sleeping giant," trying to push subtly for a peaceful solution to these problems.

Also, I need all sorts of mythical fairy tale-like images to throw at the kids: stuff like the aforementioned "hill is actually a sleeping giant" and stuff.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Have you played the video game Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons? That sounds like exactly the kind of feel you are going for, you can probably crib some ideas from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Whybird posted:

Have you played the video game Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons? That sounds like exactly the kind of feel you are going for, you can probably crib some ideas from there.

I have played it, but it never came to mind to take ideas from it! Thanks for reminding me of it, it's got exactly the kind of feelI want!