Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LG went on record that they have no issues with overheating using the 810. It may have just been a dig at Samsung, but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Even if it did, it would mean a forked version of android cutoff from google services.

Right, but I don't believe it would be nearly as closed off like the Kindles are. I mean I know Amazon is a huge entity, but their ecosystem is pretty darn terrible outside of the bookstore.

bull3964 posted:

LG went on record that they have no issues with overheating using the 810. It may have just been a dig at Samsung, but who knows.

They just admitted today they did have issues but have been fixed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

Right, but I don't believe it would be nearly as closed off like the Kindles are. I mean I know Amazon is a huge entity, but their ecosystem is pretty darn terrible outside of the bookstore.

What is this "openness" that you are seeking though? What's closed off now that you want open that a fork of AOSP would provide? I would argue that Android without Google services is next to useless. I get that some people are upset that Google is moving stuff into closed binary blobs, but what are you replacing them with and what advantage do you have by them being open source?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

Outside of a few select phones (Moto G series) Amazon tends to be pretty expensive when it comes to off-contract phones. So make sure you do your homework when looking for one at a good price.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

I mean, Touchwiz haters hate it because all the bloat and menu changes, if Samsung removes that and goes AOSP, will they keep hating samsung because it's samsung? Was just wondering, sorry if typing TW and samsung is offensive ;)
You (and to be fair, Samsung) seem to fundamentally misunderstand our criticisms with TouchWiz. It's isn't *just* the appearance, it's also its philosophy and implementation.

• TouchWiz is first and foremost a hedge against the Android ecosystem as a whole. The entire point of it is to so heavily alter the appearance of Android so that if Samsung's relationship with Google soured, Samsung could switch to a home-grown OS solution (Tizen) without customers really noticing much difference. This isn't really much of a threat anymore, first because Google and Samsung agreed that it wouldn't happen but mostly because Samsung's sales and profits have been in freefall with Apple eating their lunch at the top and the Chinese eating it from below so increasingly Samsung has nowhere to run.

• Because TouchWiz is primarily an escape hatch for Samsung, none of the TouchWiz components are properly abstracted to the Play Store for out-of-band updating. This is obvious upon reflection but the implications are not. Most OEMs put components to their skins on the Play Store so they can quickly fix and update their proprietary components without waiting for a system update and dealing with carrier testing. Since Samsung is specifically for not using Google, they also don't use Google's built-in methods for keeping skins unintrusive.

• TouchWiz is not focused on helping the user in any way. TouchWiz doesn't exist for the user but for Samsung and it shows. It seems to be three parts: a unified Samsung "look" (understandable), an assortment of off-brand apps that poorly duplicate Google system apps in case of a future breakup (confusing, customer-hostile, and ecosystem-fragmenting), and a bunch of checklist "features" that don't work but look great on a spec sheet (which is just terrible). The first two clearly only serve Samsung's interest at the expense of either the user or ecosystem or both and the last would help the user if the features TouchWiz added were useful and functional but a lot of the time they aren't. Compare this to Motorola or HTC's additions and it's obvious that the reason TouchWiz can't add useful features is because helping the user doesn't enter into its raison d'être. An example? Apple bought the only good fingerprint reader manufacturer in the world. Motorola's solution? Remove the fingerprint reader because it doesn't work. Samsung's solution? Put one in that doesn't work so it can be on the spec sheet..

• TouchWiz doesn't appear to have a cohesive and consistent look and feel. This last item isn't entirely Samsung's fault as Android itself has been schizophrenic in its own look and feel so how can a skin that's actively different hope to do any better? The thing is, HTC manages to have a great look and feel across Sense so it's really just a matter that Samsung doesn't want to do the hard work of building from the ground up a Samsung/TouchWiz style with guidelines that they can extend so that things don't look like lovely color palette swaps and something an intern threw together in an afternoon.

So this news of "Samsung reacting to complaints about TouchWiz" isn't news at all. Closer to the truth would be "Samsung reacts to market realities" because what they're doing has little to do with legitimately wanting to make TouchWiz better but a lot to do with the fact that what TouchWiz was designed to do just isn't necessary for them going forward.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I've heard that TouchWiz on the Note 4 is vastly improved over its predecessor.

I'm debating between the Note 4 and Nexus 6 (to replace my Nexus 5), and I'm leaning towards the Note for the better screen/camera, S-Pen and expandable storage.

Given those preferences is there anything I should know about the Nexus before I take the plunge on the Note?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm just going to laugh if they finally reign in Touchwiz only to switch exclusively to exynos. I mean, it's not as bad as a Nvidia SoC. I'm just exceedingly wary of anything other than a Qualcomm SoC at this point in time.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If Cyanogen can't even bring their own OS up to production quality on the OPO, I shudder to think of the quality of their attempt to replicate Google's services/APIs so developers can hook into them and make their apps work equivalently to the Play Store version. Or what developers would even bother using them.

Also, it seems like a terrible market analysis. "Hm, Cyanogen is favored by hardcore Android enthusiasts, who tend to be hardcore Google enthusiasts. Let's make a Google-less Cyanogen phone, they'll eat that poo poo up."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I really think Microsoft's investment is just to keep them afloat so that they can snap them up later as a highly forked limited low end smart(ish) phone OS.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

I'm just going to laugh if they finally reign in Touchwiz only to switch exclusively to exynos. I mean, it's not as bad as a Nvidia SoC. I'm just exceedingly wary of anything other than a Qualcomm SoC at this point in time.

That seems weird, considering how laughably bad Adreno still is.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I really think Microsoft's investment is just to keep them afloat so that they can snap them up later as a highly forked limited low end smart(ish) phone OS.

On the other hand, if they cared about that, they already had this in the form of the Nokia X series they inherited.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kitten smoothie posted:

If Cyanogen can't even bring their own OS up to production quality on the OPO, I shudder to think of the quality of their attempt to replicate Google's services/APIs so developers can hook into them and make their apps work equivalently to the Play Store version. Or what developers would even bother using them.

Also, it seems like a terrible market analysis. "Hm, Cyanogen is favored by hardcore Android enthusiasts, who tend to be hardcore Google enthusiasts. Let's make a Google-less Cyanogen phone, they'll eat that poo poo up."
To be fair, all Cyanogen since CM6 has been Google-less Cyanogen; it's just been ROM flashers have added Google apps and services on their own after the fact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hace posted:

That seems weird, considering how laughably bad Adreno still is.

GPU power is not something I'm overly concerned about moving forward. I need power efficiency, solid radio support, and ease/knowledge of coding against it to ensure quick and bug free updates.

Qualcomm have proven these things can all live together. Samsung with Exynos has not.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

GPU power is not something I'm overly concerned about moving forward. I need power efficiency, solid radio support, and ease/knowledge of coding against it to ensure quick and bug free updates.

Qualcomm have proven these things can all live together. Samsung with Exynos has not.
While you're right that others are worse than Qualcomm, Qualcomm themselves aren't always so solid. The APQ8064 that was used in the Nexus 4 never did work right from a radio perspective and they ran hot.

I guess it doesn't change the fact that I agree with you wholeheartedly in that I wouldn't want a device without a Qualcomm SoC but I would just be mindful that they have demonstrated that they aren't perfect even though they're obviously better than Samsung or Nvidia by a wide margin.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kitten smoothie posted:

Going by recent events, Cyanogen are more than capable of bringing their own OS up to Google's production quality levels :D

small hendren
Jan 27, 2011
i am buy 68 janer nake skin

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

small hendren posted:

i am buy 68 janer nake skin

Are... Are you having a stroke right now? Maybe you should go to a hospital instead of posting on an Internet forum?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

My Moto X arrived early today and holy poo poo I love this phone.

- It's got a nice, big display.

- It's fast.

- Google Now and Moto Voice are cool and handy. I think I like this more than Siri.

- The UI is slick and nice.

- Animated. Wallpapers. :aaaaa:

I have yet to test out the camera but I do volunteer work with a dog rescue on Sundays so doggies running around sounds the perfect opportunity to test a phone's camera.

Oh and I got this case and it's protective and grippy yet not Otterbox Defender gently caress-off huge (I picked white back/black front/dark grey trim on my phone and it they go fine together).

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LastInLine posted:

To be fair, all Cyanogen since CM6 has been Google-less Cyanogen; it's just been ROM flashers have added Google apps and services on their own after the fact.
That isn't 100% true, because the Cyanogen on the OnePlus One went through the CTS / acceptance process to ship with the Google apps and services.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

[*]Because TouchWiz is primarily an escape hatch for Samsung, none of the TouchWiz components are properly abstracted to the Play Store for out-of-band updating. This is obvious upon reflection but the implications are not. Most OEMs put components to their skins on the Play Store so they can quickly fix and update their proprietary components without waiting for a system update and dealing with carrier testing. Since Samsung is specifically for not using Google, they also don't use Google's built-in methods for keeping skins unintrusive.

From what I can tell Samsung has been moving certain bundled apps into the Play Store, at least the ones from the Note 4. So there's that.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

It looks to me like OnePlus is referencing Breaking Bad (for unknown reasons) to say things aren't going so well with Cyanogen and in the future they're going to build their own rom, presumably based on AOSP and without Cyanogen's added features.

Apparently OnePlus will call their new build OxygenOS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Android but rusted

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

- Google Now and Moto Voice are cool and handy. I think I like this more than Siri.

Good lord Siri is terrible. Google Now and Cortana are so much better it's ridiculous.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

LastInLine posted:

While you're right that others are worse than Qualcomm, Qualcomm themselves aren't always so solid. The APQ8064 that was used in the Nexus 4 never did work right from a radio perspective and they ran hot.

The APQ8064 doesn't have a radio

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's wrong with the radio on the N4?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Is there a thread to jerk off about cool homepage setups?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Stoat posted:

Of course! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3349818

It's a great thread for a weekend read actually, some people are very talented. The ones that aren't are treated... poorly.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

What's wrong with the radio on the N4?
Early on it had problems from one of two directions, either with wifi dropouts or with poor 3G reception. I don't know if the bands used had any bearing on the problem but in general it would seem that for every patch released to address one would exacerbate the other.

Qualcomm released a lot of patch sets for it but of course not all made it into official software for the phone. I'd have to imagine after about a year they just left it in whatever state it ended up as since I got the feeling it wouldn't ever be "done".

The only reason I'm aware of it was that the radio had all kinds of issues that were N4 specific when Google had to go out of their way to break LTE support so it took a trip to XDA to figure out exactly what ways things broke.

Stoat posted:

Here you go.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Haha I didn't even notice, it is of course an HTC. My previous phone was lg hence the mistake.

Lollipop on the M8 is pretty drat good. No memory leaks as far as I can tell, nice configurable quick settings, a real silent mode and not just vibrate. Slap the google now launcher on it and you have on of the best lollipop experiences you can get right now.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
does anyone know how to fix something like this?

(Xperia Z2)

the marks you can see on the glass over the lens won't go away and it's loving up pictures that I take. would this fit and if not, where can you buy parts for a Z2? I checked amazon and ebay and didn't have any luck

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Early on it had problems from one of two directions, either with wifi dropouts or with poor 3G reception. I don't know if the bands used had any bearing on the problem but in general it would seem that for every patch released to address one would exacerbate the other.

Qualcomm released a lot of patch sets for it but of course not all made it into official software for the phone. I'd have to imagine after about a year they just left it in whatever state it ended up as since I got the feeling it wouldn't ever be "done".

The only reason I'm aware of it was that the radio had all kinds of issues that were N4 specific when Google had to go out of their way to break LTE support so it took a trip to XDA to figure out exactly what ways things broke.

I asked because I've had mine for two years and have had absolutely no issues - it certainly isn't any worse than my work iPhones at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dissss posted:

I asked because I've had mine for two years and have had absolutely no issues - it certainly isn't any worse than my work iPhones at least.
I don't remember my wife having many problems either but I guess some people did. :shrug:

Really except for N5 > N6 it's been my experience that every Nexus is so much better in terms of radio from one generation to the next that I've never felt like any were problematic and if they were it was always next to a phone that was doing obviously much worse so I usually take radio complaints with a grain of salt.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

Lollipop on the M8 is pretty drat good. No memory leaks as far as I can tell, nice configurable quick settings, a real silent mode and not just vibrate. Slap the google now launcher on it and you have on of the best lollipop experiences you can get right now.

I had a real silent mode before, so no worries about that. I just updated and it seems fine, although I think I like the launcher as it is. What does Google Now launcher give me?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I had a real silent mode before, so no worries about that. I just updated and it seems fine, although I think I like the launcher as it is. What does Google Now launcher give me?
Subs out Blinkfeed for AOSP. If you like it as is there's no reason to leave it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

LastInLine posted:

Subs out Blinkfeed for AOSP. If you like it as is there's no reason to leave it.

Don't forget "Okay Google" from anywhere, and Google Now a swipe away! Actually, I don't know if either of these apply to Sense-based Lollipop, but they're both very handy if applicable.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Google now is always a swipe away, but I quite like the idea of okay Google from any screen. I'm gonna try it thanks guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Google now is always a swipe away, but I quite like the idea of okay Google from any screen. I'm gonna try it thanks guys.
You don't need the Google Now Launcher to have "Okay Google" from any screen; that option is in the search app (which incidentally contains the entire launcher) and you don't need the launcher installed to use it.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

BossTweed posted:

The account itself has a ton of email, but it is only be syncing 2 weeks worth of email. One of my folders gets a ton of email but I hadn't opened it yet, so it hasn't even synced it.

I'll give it a little time. I'm trying to figure out if I should do a system wipe and just do some "bare bones" battery tests where I don't have my email synced, and try to reduce the number of variables so I can figure out if I need to exchange it or something.

I decided to do a factory reset. I haven't setup my Exchange yet, and it is using a ton less battery, so I think that must have been at least part of the issue. I may try a different Exchange app if the built in one has the same performance when I set it up again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BossTweed posted:

I decided to do a factory reset. I haven't setup my Exchange yet, and it is using a ton less battery, so I think that must have been at least part of the issue. I may try a different Exchange app if the built in one has the same performance when I set it up again.

Either that or your company is still using Exchange 2003 which has a poo poo implementation of ActiveSync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So neat observation on a Droid Turbo.

My line of work occasionally has me wear night vision goggles. Yesterday while wearing some I had set my phone on my desk and noticed it was blooming them out. Apparently, at the four corners of the screen and the center top near the camera are flashing LEDs of some sort, emitting in the IR spectrum. I flipped up the nvd's and caught nothing in visible light. When the active notification screen comes on, only the center top one pulses. Otherwise they all pulse at random intervals.

I know this thing has sensors galore for active notification and all the neat moto features but I didn't know the screen had THAT many on it.