Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I've tested 123DCatch, Arc3d, VisualSFM. Autodesk Recap360, Autodesk Recap Enterprise, and Agisoft Photoscan. In my experience, Agisoft's product is the clear leader of the bunch, especially now that it has network rendering. I'd probably consider Recap360 the #2, since it is cloud based, and the results aren't too bad, but you never know when you're going to get your mesh back, and it may fail for absolutely no reason whatsoever. At $180 the standard version of Agisoft Photoscan is a steal, but even the Pro version is worth it at the $3,000 price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Is there actually any benefit to the Pro version for modeling / VFX applications? I was under the impression that all the Pro features are for serious engineering work only.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For individuals the standard version is going to be perfectly fine. The main features of Pro that would be beneficial to most people in vfx/games are Python support, chunk alignment, alignment optimization and network processing. The alignment optimization feature is pretty nice, as it can improve some of your scans quite a bit. The chunk alignment is also great as it allows you to scan an object, flip it, scan it again, and then align both scans in Agisoft in to one complete mesh. It allows you to generate a single set of UVs for the combined mesh. You wouldn't have to do any mesh and uv combining and wrangling in Maya/zbrush/mudbox to combine the two scans. It can be quite a time saver, especially if you're scanning a lot objects. Network processing is what you'd expect, but it only utilizes machines on your network that also have pro licenses installed. Unfortunately they do not offer any node licenses, so you have to drop $3k whenever you want to add another machine to the network. It's exorbitantly expensive and, imo, overpriced in that regard.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I might be jumping the gun a little bit since it just came out, but has anyone tried the new poly modeling tools in ZBrush 4r7? They look super bizarre and I'm very curious if they're good or just strange for the sake of it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Still getting to grips with it. Seems pretty nice though.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pathos posted:

I might be jumping the gun a little bit since it just came out, but has anyone tried the new poly modeling tools in ZBrush 4r7? They look super bizarre and I'm very curious if they're good or just strange for the sake of it.

They are good but if you approach it like poly modeling in a 3d package you will be disappointed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Approach it like poly modelling in a crazy man's playground.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

What's the thread's opinion on KeyShot? It's on sale right now for like $250 which is pretty reasonable. I already have Maya 2015 so I know it won't replace the default Maya renderer, but how is it for easy vis?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pathos posted:

What's the thread's opinion on KeyShot? It's on sale right now for like $250 which is pretty reasonable. I already have Maya 2015 so I know it won't replace the default Maya renderer, but how is it for easy vis?

It is very good. Pretty much the best rendering solution for zbrush right now. You don't need to deal with the hassle of transferring models over to your 3d app to get renders and it supports every feature in zbrush you wont be able to render elsewhere. If you model in zbrush a lot the convenience of seeing your model rendered with a button click while you model/sculpt is worth the $250.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Where are you seeing it for $250? It's still 1k at their site.

edit: Ah, Keyshot for Zbrush.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 30, 2015

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni

Cyne posted:

Yup.

Remember that even really basic CG / design stuff is sorcery to most people outside of the field, so they'll probably be amazed at anything you make as long as it achieves a basic level of competence and looks like what they wanted.

This was exactly my train of thought. Which I guess is why I thought it might be fun to pursue it, and bring the different industries up to what we know to be as a higher standard. That + the fact that I just want to work on cool music videos on the side of all of the cg stuff I do as a career.

I feel like, especially with some of the less massive artists (Kanye was a bad example because there's a good chance that was just his vision), the people in charge have no idea what the potential of our work is. I felt this way also when I started doing CG work for packaging design at one of the big few toy companies. I could give some pretty mediocre work and blow their minds with it.

SVU Fan fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 30, 2015

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Cyne posted:

Is there actually any benefit to the Pro version for modeling / VFX applications? I was under the impression that all the Pro features are for serious engineering work only.

I suppose I really should call them, but if anyone knows more on this subject I'd be interested in it. My focus with scanning and 3D printing is for reverse engineering and product development for our company, and my hobby is making pretty images and this pipe dream of my video game. I'm going to get the cheap version and gently caress around with it, because from what I've seen you get a million times more bang for your buck with photo scanning (especially if I already have an FF DSLR) than you do with lasers.

Pathos posted:

I'm starting to love it, it is weird but I really am liking it a lot. But then again you guys shouldn't think of me as anything in the 3D world other than interested and trying to learn, I really don't know poo poo.

SynthOrange posted:

Where are you seeing it for $250? It's still 1k at their site.

edit: Ah, Keyshot for Zbrush.

Remember that it's only for Zbrush.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

RizieN posted:

I suppose I really should call them, but if anyone knows more on this subject I'd be interested in it.
From a few posts back:
For individuals the standard version is going to be perfectly fine. The main features of Pro that would be beneficial to most people in vfx/games are Python support, chunk alignment, alignment optimization and network processing. The alignment optimization feature is pretty nice, as it can improve some of your scans quite a bit. The chunk alignment is also great as it allows you to scan an object, flip it, scan it again, and then align both scans in Agisoft in to one complete mesh. It allows you to generate a single set of UVs for the combined mesh. You wouldn't have to do any mesh and uv combining and wrangling in Maya/zbrush/mudbox to combine the two scans. It can be quite a time saver, especially if you're scanning a lot objects. Network processing is what you'd expect, but it only utilizes machines on your network that also have pro licenses installed. Unfortunately they do not offer any node licenses, so you have to drop $3k whenever you want to add another machine to the network. It's exorbitantly expensive and, imo, overpriced in that regard.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SVU Fan posted:

This was exactly my train of thought. Which I guess is why I thought it might be fun to pursue it, and bring the different industries up to what we know to be as a higher standard. That + the fact that I just want to work on cool music videos on the side of all of the cg stuff I do as a career.

I feel like, especially with some of the less massive artists (Kanye was a bad example because there's a good chance that was just his vision), the people in charge have no idea what the potential of our work is. I felt this way also when I started doing CG work for packaging design at one of the big few toy companies. I could give some pretty mediocre work and blow their minds with it.

Again, the big problem is that there's no money in it...and it's minutes of work, not just a few seconds.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
man the zbrush > keyshot workflow with the bridge is downright incredible. It is the look dev workflow I always wanted.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Any Unity bros in here? I have a mesh that works fine, renders fine etc. I split it in to two parts, suddenly the uv mapping on one part is screwed up along some of its triangles. The weird thing is though, if I then tessellate that mesh (and create a horrible mesh) it works fine again..

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Do any of you guys have any idea how they've made the fur in the new Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze game?
Seeing it in motion looks amazing, and it just can't be alpha planes... Can it? It doesn't look like it.
I'm still struggling with putting fur on that ape I modelled a while back.
I really don't get the Fibremesh thing in Zbrush. Trying to get the hairs to fall the right way is a nightmare, and brush intensities don't seem to do anything. If I brush a section of hair until it looks right, then move the camera, it turns out the brush only affected the very tips of the hairs, leaving most of them stuck straight out. Same with pulling and poking hairs. A simple nudge will suck the things straight up. Most of the tutorials on it seem pretty basic and don't address this issue.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uglynoodles posted:

Do any of you guys have any idea how they've made the fur in the new Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze game?
Seeing it in motion looks amazing, and it just can't be alpha planes... Can it? It doesn't look like it.
I really don't get the Fibremesh thing in Zbrush. Trying to get the hairs to fall the right way is a nightmare, and brush intensities don't seem to do anything. If I brush a section of hair until it looks right, then move the camera, it turns out the brush only affected the very tips of the hairs, leaving most of them stuck straight out. Same with pulling and poking hairs. A simple nudge will suck the things straight up. Most of the tutorials on it seem pretty basic and don't address this issue.

You got any videos showing specific examples of what you want to do? If it's in-game it's probably done using shaders, in which case you won't be able to replicate in ZBrush, much less with Fibermesh.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

uglynoodles posted:

It's hard for me to see in this video but I think it must look something like this:

Which I think looks like this thing I saw when I got motivated for a day and signed up for an art challenge: this post has an example and "tutorial" link...

The way he makes that Monster's INC character's fur seems kind of similar to what DK's looks like. And I'm sure if you gently caress with the method in your own way you'll find something cool. Hopefully that at least gets you on the right track.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm fairly certain that kind of fuzzy look is acheived by having stacked polygon shells on top of the base model with a dotty alpha, and when they're stacked on top of it the dots form the fuzzy strands. It's actually fairly common and a somewhat old technique also used in games like Shadow of the Colossus. The donkey kong models look like they have anywhere from a dozen to a few dozen shells stacked on top of one another. The more shells the closer they are the more accurate the result will be. Certain angles you will see the dots but an 8-bit alpha helps soften everything quite nicely. You can get motion in the fur by animating the UVs of the shells, probably done in the shader.

You will most likely not be able to achieve that kind of even fuzzy look with just hair cards. You will get clipping and weird shading errors. Stacking shells is honestly easier for short fuzzy hair.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 5, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Nintendo have had a really decent hair shells shader for Nintendoware since the Wii so I wouldn't be surprised if they've carried it over and improved upon it. They used it in Mario Galaxy first I think.

Also check this out:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132363&page=3

concerned mom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 5, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm modelling a wooden tall ship's hull from plans at the moment in 3ds Max. It's a simple model, I haven't put in any detail yet. It's a real pain though, curves in all three axis and slightly confusing plans makes it hard to model. I was wondering if anyone knows of any scripts or tools that can make a hull than you can adapt? It seems like something that might exist.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

concerned mom posted:

I'm modelling a wooden tall ship's hull from plans at the moment in 3ds Max. It's a simple model, I haven't put in any detail yet. It's a real pain though, curves in all three axis and slightly confusing plans makes it hard to model. I was wondering if anyone knows of any scripts or tools that can make a hull than you can adapt? It seems like something that might exist.

Can you show a pic? We could tell you how we would approach it with the tools in Max.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Odddzy posted:

Can you show a pic? We could tell you how we would approach it with the tools in Max.

It's pretty much a run of the mill ship's hull. Just a pain to model!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
looks like you're doing it properly.

Workflow wise I generally start by making sure my proportions are correct in one view (most often the side or bottom view in this example) and then create an instance of that model and place it on another view and then continue playing around with it.

http://viscorbel.com/modern-lobster-chair-3ds-max-tutorial/

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

concerned mom posted:

wooden tall ship's hull

Seems about right to me as well. I'd also be applying turbosmooth periodically to make sure the curves end up in the right place for each rib. Something else you might want to consider is when you get to the bow and stern, curve the polys around rather than continue the box shape. That will make the flow a lot nicer and easier to work with. Here's what I mean:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, thanks for the feedback! I'll check out that tutorial as well. It's just a pain because it has curves on curves. You'd think there might be a script someone's made that makes a rough hull shape that you can set the bow and stern curves and stuff like that!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey guys, I'm coming to terms that I'll always be a 3D admirer and enthusiast, and probably never be good at it. Until my job affords me more spare time I need to commission some designs for security cameras! If you think you can design a security camera that isn't loving ugly and stupid please help!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861&pagenumber=23#post441238622

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

RizieN posted:

Hey guys, I'm coming to terms that I'll always be a 3D admirer and enthusiast, and probably never be good at it. Until my job affords me more spare time I need to commission some designs for security cameras! If you think you can design a security camera that isn't loving ugly and stupid please help!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3238861&pagenumber=23#post441238622

I wouldn't be much help for you, but I'm curious as to why you want to shake things up? Surely the current design of CCTV cameras satisfies the logistical requirements (movable, high field of view, discreet housing, etc.), so why would you want to intentionally alter or diminish its form factor? Purely for aesthetic reasons, marketability, or what? I mean do you want a camera shaped like a butt, or a dog's head, or a pumpkin or something wacky like that, or...what? :confused:

edit: Don't want to come off as snarky, I'm genuinely curious.

edit 2: Something like this?

Something sleek sexy and more futuristic like?

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 6, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Probably because you can't tell a brand from the housing unless you work in the industry and know the minute differences. White pod with clear dome #1 looks exactly like white pod with clear dome #135.

mutata posted:

Form over function, no thanks.
When you perfect the function all you can do is improve form.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 6, 2015

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I wouldn't be much help for you, but I'm curious as to why you want to shake things up? Surely the current design of CCTV cameras satisfies the logistical requirements (movable, high field of view, discreet housing, etc.), so why would you want to intentionally alter or diminish its form factor? Purely for aesthetic reasons, marketability, or what? I mean do you want a camera shaped like a butt, or a dog's head, or a pumpkin or something wacky like that, or...what? :confused:

Sure they serve their purpose, and they're fine. But that's it, they're just ok. Everything is a 1998 Honda Civic right now, I want to sell a 2016 Maserati. High end estates & rich people want better looking equipment for their assets & homes, we can make a better camera and get more profit than if we bought, shipped & paid import fees on something ugly as hell. We can also make them in America and give Americans jobs, instead of selling our middle class to the Chinese. Also, maybe you're right, maybe some guy has a palm tree and wants to put a camera inside of something that looks like a coconut, I could then 3D print a coconut with the proper insides to place a camera into (a camera is just a circuit board anyway).

I also don't see ANY reason why cameras can't look better... everyone is of the opinion "its fine, gently caress it, just sell it!", but not me, I'm sick of that poo poo.

Also, yes, the branding; we put a lot of our customer's logos on these cameras for them (decals/transfers). If I could extrude their logo and print it off they'll go nuts over that poo poo.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Form over function, no thanks.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Everybody, everybody thinking about VFX (and probably animation, too) should listen to this podcast. And read this book.
http://www.allanmckay.com/20/

It's sobering.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Wouldn't the coolest looking security cam be the one that is unrecognizable? I'd say custom 3D print cameras that blend into areas where they're basically invisible or behind one way materials.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ceebee posted:

Wouldn't the coolest looking security cam be the one that is unrecognizable? I'd say custom 3D print cameras that blend into areas where they're basically invisible or behind one way materials.

I was thinking this but then they are a deterrent in themselves, so maybe you'd want ones that blend in and ones that stand out.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I can model up production ready stuff in Alias if you need. Idk if most people itt can do that as there's an awful lot of vis/poly people.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
edit: nevermind found out myself. :D

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 9, 2015

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Could anyone give me some advice or direct me to a good tutorial for modeling curtains/draped cloth? Nothing fancy, just a low-to-mid poly model of cloth with a few folds would be fine. I just can't seem to get the look right.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Fyadophobic posted:

Could anyone give me some advice or direct me to a good tutorial for modeling curtains/draped cloth? Nothing fancy, just a low-to-mid poly model of cloth with a few folds would be fine. I just can't seem to get the look right.

Sim it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Choo choo! :coal:

The only thing I'm not liking are the railroad ties, I used a Berconwood displacement, but the sides shouldn't be so puffy and rounded. I'm gonna try negative displacement next time, hopefully better results.

I'm also not looking forward to weathering effects. :negative:

just in case anyone doesn't know what this is

edit: open in new tab if you want super huge version.