Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Mellow Seas posted:

Sweet loving poo poo does this thread go off the rails sometimes. If we didn't have emergency dumps of LL101 I wonder if this thread would ever be anything but... this.

That's why I don't usually just post the latest news from Raw Story. I try to wait for people to post something. I don't have a bunch of Republicunts to draw my rage from on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Female James Bond, female Doctor Who, gender-flip all the Avengers, kill all nerds.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I feel oddly proud.

1stGear posted:

Female James Bond, female Doctor Who, gender-flip all the Avengers, kill all nerds.

empty quoting this.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Wait are there people who seriously care about the character of Bond beyond "suave person who says cool poo poo while explosions happen"? I'm imagining Skyfall with Bond as a woman and it's frankly the same movie.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DrProsek posted:

Wait are there people who seriously care about the character of Bond beyond "suave person who says cool poo poo while explosions happen"? I'm imagining Skyfall with Bond as a woman and it's frankly the same movie.

Read the last page or so. The answer is yes.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why don't they make a unique female spy character whose movie will lack brand recognition, making it more likely to flop?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
James Bond is a masculine ideal archetype. That is why some people care too much. They see Bond as a role model with regard to their own masculinity.

edit: Google: "james bond" pua

To the degree that he is sexualized, the character would be different if Bond were female. While I'm sure it would be a seriously interesting deconstruction generally if it were done well; and though I've not seen it I had heard that Skyfall already played down that aspect of Bond so maybe that specific movie would work; it's disingenuous to pretend it'd be the same.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 30, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

McDowell posted:

Why don't they make a unique female spy character whose movie will lack brand recognition, making it more likely to flop?

They'll blame the flop on the gender and not the marketing reasons.

No joke, this is fairly established.

VideoTapir posted:

James Bond is a masculine ideal archetype. That is why some people care too much. They see Bond as a role model with regard to their own masculinity. .

Was going to post this. Even Connery thought that Bond was a sexist poo poo when he first got the role.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

it's disingenuous to pretend it'd be the same.

Oh it'd absolutely be different. Same way any movie would be different if you put a different actor in the character. But outright saying it wouldn't work at all is also a little disingenuous.

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!
During the Occupy protests this guy also said they should all be round up and put into camps.

Apparently he's a Chris Kyle truther. Seeing as how Ventura, the nutball he is, won the defamation suit. I mean that kinda says "It has been ruled by The Courts that you are full of poo poo, pay up for being a loudmouth liar"

It's annoying that I can't say a bad word about Kyle without people descending calling me un-american, or telling me "why not just go spit on some troops next". The hero worship of him is scary and gross.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hamster_style posted:

It's annoying that I can't say a bad word about Kyle without people descending calling me un-american, or telling me "why not just go spit on some troops next". The hero worship of him is scary and gross.

please point out that Ventura sued Kyle for defamation and won, making Kyle a liar in the eyes of the US justice system

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Glenn Close was a male pirate in Hook.

Earth was destroyed that day.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

hamster_style posted:

During the Occupy protests this guy also said they should all be round up and put into camps.

Apparently he's a Chris Kyle truther. Seeing as how Ventura, the nutball he is, won the defamation suit. I mean that kinda says "It has been ruled by The Courts that you are full of poo poo, pay up for being a loudmouth liar"

Point out to him that Ventura served in Vietnam as an underwater demolitionist, the precursor to the SEALs. Your friend would apparently prefer to save one of the most infamous terrorists in history over a Real American Hero.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Just dropping in to say I want to see Amy poehler play James Bond

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

hamster_style posted:

Vin Diesel in an Aliens reboot. gently caress yes!

Here have some awful people:

Hang on, the OP argued against funding college tuition with the "teach a man to fish" story? How is that anything other than an argument for universal education?

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

please point out that Ventura sued Kyle for defamation and won, making Kyle a liar in the eyes of the US justice system
When the government is at odds with a True Patriot, it's always the government that is wrong. A dude who holds those kinds of beliefs will just handwave the defamation suit away as a diabolical plot perpetrated by Eric Holder and The Bohemian Groves.

Jurgan posted:

Hang on, the OP argued against funding college tuition with the "teach a man to fish" story? How is that anything other than an argument for universal education?
Instead of sending people to college, we should... teach them to start their own colleges??

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

hamster_style posted:

Vin Diesel in an Aliens reboot. gently caress yes!

Here have some awful people:

I'm on food stamps, both when I was unemployed and now that I'm employed. Weird, I never knew I had just got out of prison

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bob James posted:

Glenn Close was a male pirate in Hook.

Earth was destroyed that day.

Ouch, my masculinity!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

hamster_style posted:

Not to mention that Al Franken has been a great Senator and was re-elected overwhelmingly, we have one of the best economies in the country, highest job growth, etc. But yeah, we hosed up hard with Ventura. I think his Democratic opponent that race was Mondale. Ventura also squandered our surplus :( BUT WE GOT IT BACK NOW HAHAHAH SUCK IT WISCONSIN

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

VideoTapir posted:

James Bond is a masculine ideal archetype. That is why some people care too much. They see Bond as a role model with regard to their own masculinity.

edit: Google: "james bond" pua

To the degree that he is sexualized, the character would be different if Bond were female. While I'm sure it would be a seriously interesting deconstruction generally if it were done well; and though I've not seen it I had heard that Skyfall already played down that aspect of Bond so maybe that specific movie would work; it's disingenuous to pretend it'd be the same.

Have a white male Bond, make him the same sexist douchebag he was in the earlier films, but make him the villain, cast against a woman spy protagonist working for SWAPO or the ANC. :getin:

hamster_style posted:

The Christ Kyle worship really is getting a bit creepy. His autobiography paints a picture of someone who is either a compulsive liar or a man with a serious mental illness; either way, he needed psychiatric care, probably a lot of it, and should be mourned as a failure of the American veterans' care system.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Boywhiz88 posted:

Not to mention that Al Franken has been a great Senator and was re-elected overwhelmingly, we have one of the best economies in the country, highest job growth, etc. But yeah, we hosed up hard with Ventura. I think his Democratic opponent that race was Mondale. Ventura also squandered our surplus :( BUT WE GOT IT BACK NOW HAHAHAH SUCK IT WISCONSIN

Really there shouldn't ever be a point where a Minnesotan isn't telling Wisconsin to suck it.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Boywhiz88 posted:

You also gave us Michelle Bachman.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Jurgan posted:

You also gave us Michelle Bachman.

Thankfully, she's gone as of the start of this year.

Unfortunately, we've just given you all Tom Emmer. That entire district is a very dark red stain on this state.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Techno Remix posted:

Thankfully, she's gone as of the start of this year.

Unfortunately, we've just given you all Tom Emmer. That entire district is a very dark red stain on this state.

Seriously. Every state has it's crazy, and that district is ours. At least we can hold onto that we didn't go for Reagan in his massive landslide. Also that we were awesome during the Civil War:

quote:

When the Civil War began on April 12, 1861, Minnesota's governor, Alexander Ramsey, was in Washington, D.C. and he immediately promised President Abraham Lincoln that Minnesota would raise a regiment of 1,000 volunteer soldiers for service in the Union army. These were the first troops offered to fight for the Union during the Civil War.

quote:

The First Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment mustered for a three-year term (1861-1864) in the Union Army at the outset of the American Civil War when the prevailing enlistment period was three months.

[...]

At a pivotal moment and position during the 1863 conflict at Gettysburg, Major General Winfield Scott Hancock, Commander of the II Corps, ordered the First Minnesota to charge into a situation where it would be outmanned by odds of at least 5:1. The General's purpose was to buy minutes of delay with human lives, and one survivor spoke afterward that he expected the advance to result in "death or wounds to [every single one of the attackers]." The Regiment fully and instantly executed the order, received at least 82% casualties among those making the attack, and contributed significantly to the preservation of a key Union defensive position on the heights of Cemetery Ridge.

[...]

Emphasizing the criticality of the circumstances on July 2 at Gettysburg, President Coolidge considered, "Colonel Colvill and those eight companies of the First Minnesota are entitled to rank as the saviors of their country."

quote:

The 1st Minnesota Heavy Artillery mustered in at St. Paul, and Rochester, Minnesota, between November 1864 and February 1865. [...] Albert Woolson, who was a 14-year-old company drummer in the regiment, became the last surviving veteran of the American Civil War from either side. He died in 1956.

:gbsmith: Anyway, political forwards!

quote:

Who the gently caress hates on Biden? He's dreamy.

:swoon:

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

:allears:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
The best thing about Onion Biden is that he's so close to Real Biden.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

Seriously. Every state has it's crazy, and that district is ours. At least we can hold onto that we didn't go for Reagan in his massive landslide. Also that we were awesome during the Civil War:

:gbsmith: Anyway, political forwards!

Yeah, I shouldn't throw stones. My home state started the Civil War, and Lindsey Graham is our reasonable senator. Now I'm in Colorado, which just elected Cory Gardner and *snicker* Dr. Chaps.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

McDowell posted:

MGM has basically be thinking of doing exactly this since the 90's (Most recently spinning off Halle Berry's character from Die Another Day), but ultimately everyone just decides "Let's just get started on the next James Bond instead"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Coming in 2016, a remake of Alien with Ripley played by Vin Diesel

Alien is like the worst example for this because it was written so that any of the parts could be played by a man or a woman.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WoodrowSkillson posted:

James Bond strides into the cocktail party, his tuxedo ill fitting and poorly cut due to his breasts and short stature. He swiftly moves into a back room, and uses a watch too large for his wrist to shoot a laser through the safe holding the documents. On his way out he speaks with his mexican accent to a woman on the way out, charming her to avoid detection of his theft, though she stands half a head higher him in her high heeled shoes compared to his men's dress shoes.

"Cut! Great job Salma, this has Oscar written all over it"

Remove the bit about breasts and an accent and you just described Mission Impossible.

Rick_Hunter posted:

I would watch it if it was Aliens.

Isn't that just Doom?

Mister Bates posted:

Have a white male Bond, make him the same sexist douchebag he was in the earlier films, but make him the villain, cast against a woman spy protagonist working for SWAPO or the ANC. :getin:
So just remake Skyfall with a woman?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

How am I supposed to suspend my disbelief and really get into the movie if the person driving an invisible car, fighting black gangs with magic voodoo powers, scrambling the Space Shuttle filled with marines for a laser battle on a space station, getting in hand-to-hand combat with some steel-jawed android, narrowly avoiding getting beheaded by a razor-brimmed hat, infiltrating lairs in ridiculous places like volcanoes or under the ocean, while staying in the prime of life from the 1960's until today yet somehow was only first hired in the 2000s...also has breasts?!?!

I mean breasts on an agent are so unrealistic, what an absurd premise. How would you even drive an invisible car with breasts all in the way.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 30, 2015

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Literally The Worst posted:

Alien is like the worst example for this because it was written so that any of the parts could be played by a man or a woman.

Ripley was written for man, it was changed, and now it's one of the more famous and beloved examples of a woman as the lead without being a damsel in distress.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The male version of Alien was called Predator.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mo_Steel posted:

Who the gently caress hates on Biden? He's dreamy.

:swoon:

Joke's on them. Everybody knows Joe has been running things this whole time.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

hamster_style posted:

In America, being a Veteran means that your actions are Beyond Reproach and nobody should ever say a bad word about you. What people don't understand is that it's entirely possible to honorably serve your country and still be morally corrupt or at least enjoy killing to the point in which you have a mental issue because of it.

American Sniper just happens to be the perfect medium for hyper-masculine right wingers to project their fantasy of killing Hajji for the good ole US of A. By that logic, if you have any criticism about the movie (content or production wise) then you hate America.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VitalSigns posted:

How am I supposed to suspend my disbelief and really get into the movie if the person driving an invisible car, fighting black gangs with magic voodoo powers, scrambling the Space Shuttle filled with marines for a laser battle on a space station, getting in hand-to-hand combat with some steel-jawed android, narrowly avoiding getting beheaded by a razor-brimmed hat, infiltrating lairs in ridiculous places like volcanoes or under the ocean, while staying in the prime of life from the 1960's until today yet somehow was only first hired in the 2000s...also has breasts?!?!

I mean breasts on an agent are so unrealistic, what an absurd premise. How would you even drive an invisible car with breasts all in the way.

And are they gonna change the Bond Girl into a Bond Dude? How am I supposed to get an erection buy into the plot if Bond is the one getting hosed instead of doing the loving?! I mean, it's not like women can ever be sexually in control or objectify men like Bond objectifies women! That... that would just be crazy, man. Is anyone else getting uncomfortable thinking about this?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have yet to see one of my actually serving military friends on Facebook talk about the American Sniper ordeal. I am guessing that there are many veterans who support Kyle but I find it interesting that the only people who are throwing a fit and sharing links about this are the "I never served in the military but I love the military and I military role play by purchasing as many guns as possible."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

In America, being a Veteran means that your actions are Beyond Reproach and nobody should ever say a bad word about you.

The problem with this theory is that Jesse Ventura is also a veteran of the exact same type as Chris Kyle. Although I guess he just loses some points for not being a sniper so Chris Kyle is ranked higher and wins.

Even though snipers by definition hide where no one can see them and take out dudes from safe vantage points while Jesse Ventura faced down the Predator and minigunned the Entire Jungle.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Bloodnose posted:

The problem with this theory is that Jesse Ventura is also a veteran of the exact same type as Chris Kyle. Although I guess he just loses some points for not being a sniper so Chris Kyle is ranked higher and wins.

he loses points by not being a canvas on which dickless losers can project their rah rah jingoistic power-murder fantasies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Bloodnose posted:

That and the enemies he faced then aren't the enemies of today so it doesn't count, I guess. Vietnam War is probably far from the average American's mind, probably why some don't bat an eye when Kerry's Purple Heart is mocked.