Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

I don't have links handy but he's kind of a racist Czech nationalist. Also this, regarding Conchita Wurst

e: oh didn't know about the DDOS claim. he's an rear end in a top hat either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Wow, at least I have ad block and don't participate in anything on his site. I still find the WG leaks that he gets interesting though.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
That and he's just an obnoxious oval office. The only reason nobody decent has killed FTR by making a better site is because nobody else has the free time to do it. FTR is a news site in the same way Glenn Beck's show is news, it's 30% SS mistranslating things or not understanding the most basic game mechanics, 30% mocking Wargaming for petty poo poo like typos or demanding they donate the proceeds from special events to Czech veterans' charities instead of literally anybody else up to and including those supporting children displaced by war, 30% actual worthwhile articles (which all have the distinction of being written by people who aren't SS). The remaining 10% is pointless inflammatory bullshit which has little or no relevance to the game and serves only to inflate SS' already dangerously large ego.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Haha I forgot to confirm my Armored Warfare beta application registrations on the 5 email accounts I signed up with. :downs:

I got the emails with the confirmation link and didn't bother to click them to see if I needed to do anything else.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

rossmum posted:

That and he's just an obnoxious oval office. The only reason nobody decent has killed FTR by making a better site is because nobody else has the free time to do it. FTR is a news site in the same way Glenn Beck's show is news, it's 30% SS mistranslating things or not understanding the most basic game mechanics, 30% mocking Wargaming for petty poo poo like typos or demanding they donate the proceeds from special events to Czech veterans' charities instead of literally anybody else up to and including those supporting children displaced by war, 30% actual worthwhile articles (which all have the distinction of being written by people who aren't SS). The remaining 10% is pointless inflammatory bullshit which has little or no relevance to the game and serves only to inflate SS' already dangerously large ego.

Were you in teamspeak with this dude or was this all done from forum/article comments and posts?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Agrajag posted:

I hate all you dick shits that got beta invites. You are all human scum unless you give me a link for beta invite. Just saying.

I don't know how to break the news to you, so I'll just give it to you hard and fast (the PANSY way) -

Armored Warfare beta testers get a free Type 59. I am so sorry.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dudes who think they may be in Armored Warfare, check their forums to see if you've got access to the beta forum.

Maimgara
May 2, 2007
Chlorine for the Gene-pool.
We're on the 2PAC teamspeak now. Witch is doing a reading of a hentai visual novel in a very thick french accent, Leetcake is insisting he's a pixie, not a a faerie (the distinction is essential) and the rest of us are drunk as gently caress. This is a normal Thursday 2AM.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I give you two great pubbies. Both were encountered as I flailed about in my Valentine. (I know I'm terrible.)

First, a T-46: Please tell me he's a loving bot.

Second, the Little Sherman Who Didn't Want To: "I want to be the last survivor." I should've :commissar:'d his rear end.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Agrajag posted:

Were you in teamspeak with this dude or was this all done from forum/article comments and posts?

It was all over one thread on the WoT forums. The DDoS blame thing was on FTR, he actually named me as the cause of it and of course then Reddit ran with that without bothering to confirm it.

I'd been playing tanks with Hardest on stream, I went to bed, I woke up about 6 hours later to find I'd apparently caused a DDoS in my sleep (despite having little idea where to start if I wanted to actually cause one).

I poo poo you not.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rossmum posted:

It was all over one thread on the WoT forums. The DDoS blame thing was on FTR, he actually named me as the cause of it and of course then Reddit ran with that without bothering to confirm it.

I'd been playing tanks with Hardest on stream, I went to bed, I woke up about 6 hours later to find I'd apparently caused a DDoS in my sleep (despite having little idea where to start if I wanted to actually cause one).

I poo poo you not.

Dude you don't have to lie here. This is a safe place. You can admit to your elite hacker skills here, just like I can admit I killed fitty clans, and Metro can admit he owns a Type 59.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ross can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the bad blood between him and SS started because SS decided that certain ethnic groups deserved to be treated like poo poo for arbitrary reasons. Rossmum, being a functional human being, disagreed.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

No, it existed before that. I got flagged as subhuman the moment I outed myself as pulling left of Ayn Rand, it just kind of peaked when SS and Daigensui (who is to the best of my knowledge an ethnic Korean dude in Florida posing as a Japanese-Korean woman and an unashamed fascist and Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere nostalgic, boy does that rabbithole run deep) insisted gypsies are the scum of the earth and should be driven from Europe. I think SS also chimed in with black people being criminals too or something, I don't even loving know.

Fun fact: I think the actual thing that set him off was when I questioned his referring to Soviet tanks as "garbage".

Crash74
May 11, 2009

rossmum posted:

No, it existed before that. I got flagged as subhuman the moment I outed myself as pulling left of Ayn Rand, it just kind of peaked when SS and Daigensui (who is to the best of my knowledge an ethnic Korean dude in Florida posing as a Japanese-Korean woman and an unashamed fascist and Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere nostalgic, boy does that rabbithole run deep) insisted gypsies are the scum of the earth and should be driven from Europe. I think SS also chimed in with black people being criminals too or something, I don't even loving know.

Fun fact: I think the actual thing that set him off was when I questioned his referring to Soviet tanks as "garbage".

Ross don't you live in Australia with no AC?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Vengarr posted:

That Yamato video was put back up again if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

Ichase also just uploaded another video, this one focusing on destroyers and cruisers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFqXn5RJTgc

That looks like a less fun, less deep battlestations: midway.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Vengarr posted:

That Yamato video was put back up again if you missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MiLYz95MBI

Ichase also just uploaded another video, this one focusing on destroyers and cruisers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFqXn5RJTgc

The only problem I have with his talk about cruisers is that he only mentions the fact the us ships aren't as flexible and just more durable compared to the japanese. However, he doesn't point out the fact that american cruisers have the ability to completely shut down carriers just because of their thick aa screens. Both are just as flexible, but in different roles. If you can aim your torps and such well, I'd agree the japs are pretty good, but if you are just going to run guns anyway, the americans are awesome at ripping up carrier squadrons while shadowing your team. You wouldn't believe the number of enemy battleships I have had to let be because there was an american cruiser shadowing the guy fouling up my torp bomber runs every time.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

He also neatly demonstrated what happens to your ship when you sail within BB secondary range to actually get those torpedo hits.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

LT-15 done properly. Go go AMX 13-90

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Crash74 posted:

Ross don't you live in Australia with no AC?

I have AC now! :sun:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

JuffoWup posted:

I think you are confused. The is-3 leads to the is-8 (which he asked about along with the 103) and that ends with the is-7. The is-4 comes from the st-1.

Personally though, I didn't like the is-8. Gun didn't feel that great just like the armor.

You're correct! I was drunk as a sailor in port posting that.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

rossmum posted:

Do Aussies listen to Glen Beck? Please don't break up my hot super stupid Aussie surfer fanfic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

39% platoon. They were not useful.

e: very obvious bots, check their average damages in game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Southern Dandy posted:

Do Aussies listen to Glen Beck? Please don't break up my hot super stupid Aussie surfer fanfic.

No, we have Andrew Bolt instead

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The Southern Dandy posted:

Given the current political climate, it's only a matter of time.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know of any good, really in depth guides for turretless TDs? None of this "just find people to shoot" bullshit, I'm talking like specific, detailed strats on a per map basis, because I am incapable of getting good firing lanes.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Magres posted:

Anyone know of any good, really in depth guides for turretless TDs? None of this "just find people to shoot" bullshit, I'm talking like specific, detailed strats on a per map basis, because I am incapable of getting good firing lanes.

Since you can divide turretless TDs into at least 5 different categories one guide is not enough.
You have mobile assault guns like SU-122-44, mobile snipers without depression like SU-101, hell cannons like the ISU-152 and low damage DPM machines like the AT-15.
Neither of these should be played in the same way.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I love how an arcadey game like World of Tanks brings out such visceral political / historical divides and anger issues between players. Where 85% German tanks played is a nostalgic fascist statement and the belief that the T-34-85 was a superior operational tank to the Tiger is unfettered communist sympathy and Stalin apologia. :allears:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Man what a good night. Bunch of Winter Mode games, finished the missions up until the platooning ones, carried hard in my KV-220, and got some stupid pubbie banned. I managed to deal damage to two tanks in my M12 on Arctic Region after like thirty tries, and goaded Mr. Geo in his VK3001 into shooting me twice, then I stuck my gun in his gun so he'd get a critical third hit and turn blue, then goaded him into going for a killshot while blue. Banned! The game was loving over anyway so I basically turned a sure loss into a double win for me. Good times.

Magres posted:

Do not go 1 line on Redshire, no matter what tank you are in. The entire west side is a huge deathtrap that you cannot spot or shoot from. If you equip the derp, you could have gone east into that ravine, blapped the first poor bastard you see for 700, taken 200-300 in return, and backed off to reload the next 700 damage shell.

If you need to learn turretless TDs, play the SU-85B for now, or E-25 afterwards. You don't need to struggle against your tanks and the maps at the same time, so play a super overpowered tank instead of the SU-152. Gun's great, but you'll struggle with the mobility getting to certain positions. If you don't even know where the positions are, you can't really expect to learn them if you're in a slow tank.

KcDohl
Jun 18, 2004
LORK ON TEH CLORF
Dinosaur Gum

Hellsau posted:

Do not go 1 line on Redshire, no matter what tank you are in. The entire west side is a huge deathtrap that you cannot spot or shoot from. If you equip the derp, you could have gone east into that ravine, blapped the first poor bastard you see for 700, taken 200-300 in return, and backed off to reload the next 700 damage shell.

1 line together with mid are like the only useful places on that map though??????

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Man what a good night. Bunch of Winter Mode games, finished the missions up until the platooning ones, carried hard in my KV-220, and got some stupid pubbie banned. I managed to deal damage to two tanks in my M12 on Arctic Region after like thirty tries, and goaded Mr. Geo in his VK3001 into shooting me twice, then I stuck my gun in his gun so he'd get a critical third hit and turn blue, then goaded him into going for a killshot while blue. Banned! The game was loving over anyway so I basically turned a sure loss into a double win for me. Good times.

If you need to learn turretless TDs, play the SU-85B for now, or E-25 afterwards. You don't need to struggle against your tanks and the maps at the same time, so play a super overpowered tank instead of the SU-152. Gun's great, but you'll struggle with the mobility getting to certain positions. If you don't even know where the positions are, you can't really expect to learn them if you're in a slow tank.

I really regret not getting the E-25 for Gold while I could :(

I had the gold to get it or the SU-122-44 and chose poorly (not that the SU-122-44 is bad, it's awesome, just that my timing was poor)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

KcDohl posted:

1 line together with mid are like the only useful places on that map though??????

East cannot get shot from mid. Mid can murder west without being spotted. The 1 line does not actually contribute anything. It's the mid that both spots and shoots relevant targets.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah it was stupid of me to go 1 line when I know, from dozens of Medium games on Redshire, that I universally go to the hill and gently caress up the dumb schmucks that go to the 1 line and do so with no repercussions whatsoever. I was basically just hoping it'd be a narrow alley where pubbies would drive into my gun, but clearly that's over in the East. Shoulda gone there but since coming back I've played essentialyl nothing but Lights and Mediums and haven't re-learned the maps enough as a Heavy or TD.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

maev posted:

I love how an arcadey game like World of Tanks brings out such visceral political / historical divides and anger issues between players. Where 85% German tanks played is a nostalgic fascist statement and the belief that the T-34-85 was a superior operational tank to the Tiger is unfettered communist sympathy and Stalin apologia. :allears:

Ahahahaha you should see the Red Orchestra community, it was bad enough when it was a fairly obscure title, RO2 drew in shitlords by the Hanomag load

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
Why do people talk real politics in the tank game?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Because :hitler: made some tanks and attacked some countries then got beat because superior german guns and tactics could not fight against 10,000 fronts and 5 million soviet bodies clogging the guns of their 88s. This should properly be represented in these ways in the game:

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
something is up with these missions. most battles are really bad, last night was awful. my recent stats took a 500wn8/3%wr dip the moment missions got introduced. Unless i play really exceptional tanks, i can't carry for poo poo atm.

also, i skimmed through ftrs writeup of the CDC, and it doesnt sound like what ive heard about the tank at all. it just doesnt fit with the gameplay videos ive seen of the at all. apparently its actually slow or something according to ftr. "30 kmh uphill is slow, it turns super slow, 57 kmh with super acceleration is slow" wtf. it looks like a really good leo pt on t8 damnit.

he also found the panther 88 completely unworkable tho, and im beginning to really like that tank. currently the one i go to for money (even though its not the greatest earner), 88l71 gunhandling rocks. #snapshootallday

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Nien posted:

Why do people talk real politics in the tank game?

How else are you meant to honour the Brave and Pure Fighting Men of Poor, Noble Germany?

Atal Vataman posted:

also, i skimmed through ftrs writeup of the CDC, and it doesnt sound like what ive heard about the tank at all. it just doesnt fit with the gameplay videos ive seen of the at all. apparently its actually slow or something according to ftr. "30 kmh uphill is slow, it turns super slow, 57 kmh with super acceleration is slow" wtf. it looks like a really good leo pt on t8 damnit.

Maybe the dumbfuck accidentally put a 50% arty crew in it and didn't notice? The thing feels more like a light than a medium, even a light and fast one.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
yeah, im thinking the tank might suffer from leo-syndrome (big+paper armour), but i would think that is less of a problem for a t8 vehicle. mobility is king, more so when youre bottom tier. unless the gun handling is terrible or something, it sounds like something i'd love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

The gun handling is typically French, it blooms out really badly but once it settles it's pretty accurate. The tank is pretty squat and seems to have good camo (hard to tell, since test server pubbies are probably running fresh crews and without proper equipment half the time), plus 390 viewrange makes for a good spotter with optics and decent crew.

I'll have a video up tomorrow my time hopefully, two matches (one T8, one T9). Hard to really show it off well with 380ish ping to test, but I do what I can.