Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

The Black Stones posted:

So a couple semesters ago I took a history of animation class at my University. I know the prof pretty good now, and during that time I told him that I thought he spent a little bit too much time on Ghibli stuff, and I thought the episode that he showed as an example of animation turned people off right away (It was a very good Paranoia Agent episode, but it had sex right at the beginning and people started laughing of course).

Well, this semester he said he wanted to talk to me about stuff he could show in class, and wanted my input on it. So, I pretty much know what to recommend as far as other animators are concerned, as last time he only talked about Kon and Miyzaki/Ghibli (Takahata was in there for a GotF clip but that was it), and that was pretty much it. So the people I'm planning on recommending he mention/show clips about is Yuasa (duh), Imaishi (Probably recommend a P&S clip to show that Japanese animation can also be very close to American as well), Koike (Redline, duh), and probably Shinkai, although I'm not much a fan.

What full length episode (20 something minute or shorter, no hour long) episodes should I recommend he show as a great example of Japanese animation/storytelling and can mainly stand on their own with little information needing to be given? Sub or dub works. Right off the top of my head, I thought that an episode or two of Time of Eve would work. Ghost in the Shell:SAC for good dub, plus action, Bunny Drop for more focus on regular life situation. What would you recommend?

I think your choice of titles is pretty much perfect, especially if you intend to put a heavy focus on the animation side of things. I love Bebop and Mushishi to death but that wouldn't definitely get me going "wow" as opposed to something like Redline, Kaiba, FLCL or Kotonoha no Niwa. Shingeki no Kyoujin has some incredibly dope animation but most of those scenes are pretty bloody :v:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

ViggyNash posted:

But you miss out on the best engrish line in all of anime.

But seriously, the Steins;Gate dub is amazing.

http://youtu.be/LDnu0giUS00

This?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clearly you should recommend Inferno Cop to him as an example of great Japanese animation.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Clearly you should recommend Inferno Cop to him as an example of great Japanese animation.

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not but if you're talking about doing amazing things with limited animation Inferno Cop is great.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'm not sure if you're being ironic or not but if you're talking about doing amazing things with limited animation Inferno Cop is great.

The same people did great work with limited animation in Kill la Kill. Some of the visual gags the technique produces are really hilarious. Trigger is extremely creative.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 28, 2015

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

lordfrikk posted:

Shingeki no Kyoujin has some incredibly dope animation but most of those scenes are pretty bloody :v:.

Yeah the biggest production clusterfuck in ages sure looks amazing! I love stills and pans everywhere. (The only good episode is 24 because Akitoshi Yokoyama was the episode director and he has a great sense of 3d motion, stuff actually looks like it should instead of being nonsensical and boring!)

lordfrikk posted:

I think your choice of titles is pretty much perfect, especially if you intend to put a heavy focus on the animation side of things. I love Bebop and Mushishi to death but that wouldn't definitely get me going "wow" as opposed to something like Redline, Kaiba, FLCL or Kotonoha no Niwa.

But hey, it's not like Bebop has amazing fight choreography by the best Battle Animator of all time, right?

Uznare fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

The same people did great work with limited animation in Kill la Kill. Some of the visual gags the technique produces are really hilarious.

Inferno Cop is better.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Inferno Cop is better.

Not the highest of bars, but you're not wrong, though I still maintain that Turning Girls is Trigger's best work to date.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would also throw in Mushishi, if that's not been said. There's no crazy action scenes, or much action at all, but it has some of the best art and animation in the business.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ViggyNash posted:

I would also throw in Mushishi, if that's not been said. There's no crazy action scenes, or much action at all, but it has some of the best art and animation in the business.

I think you'd have to pick the episode carefully but there are some beautiful scenes in there and most of the stories stand alone well.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Maybe you should check out some scenes from Aku no Hana? It's interesting/different because it was filmed with live actors and then rotoscoped to look like anime, which may not be what you're looking for but is pretty unique and would certainly deserve a look in a more in depth class. Off the top of my head episode 7 has the best scene of the show, but it might be something you'd only appreciate having seen the build up towards it. The end of episode 11 has a dream sequence that is very atmospheric and beautiful and worth watching on its own

Also interesting in the sense that they took a typically drawn manga and did something very different with it, which resulted in a lot of people thinking it was lovely garbage because they wanted it to look generic and like every other show

Paperhouse fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 28, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ping Pong's animation is cool as hell

Also that one movie inside the whale

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Uznare posted:

Yeah the biggest production clusterfuck in ages sure looks amazing! I love stills and pans everywhere. (The only good episode is 24 because Akitoshi Yokoyama was the episode director and he has a great sense of 3d motion, stuff actually looks like it should instead of being nonsensical and boring!)

Hence why I said scenes and even went further to qualify them as bloody, and those scenes are amazingly well done. I do not know how you inferred I was talking about panning shots when I mentioned bloody scenes unless you have problems reading. It also sounds like you've only seen the TV version which had a lot of corner-cutting that was from what I've understood largely corrected in the BD version. I don't know why you think SnK was bigger clusterfuck than a lot of other shows, given how the Japanese studios produce them it's a miracle anything looks as half as good as it does.

The shittiest thing about human memory is how fast it degrades. Man, I completely forgot how amazing the animation was in Bebop for some reason so I definitely take that back. Maybe I should re-watch Mushishi to remind myself about its looks, too.

Help Im Alive posted:

Ping Pong's animation is cool as hell

Also that one movie inside the whale

Yeah, Ping Pong didn't even cross my mind but it's got some stellar stuff in it.

Also what movie is that?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 29, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That's Mind Game! It owns.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

lordfrikk posted:

Hence why I said scenes and even went further to qualify them as bloody, and those scenes are amazingly well done. I do not know how you inferred I was talking about panning shots when I mentioned bloody scenes unless you have problems reading. It also sounds like you've only seen the TV version which had a lot of corner-cutting that was from what I've understood largely corrected in the BD version. I don't know why you think SnK was bigger clusterfuck than a lot of other shows, given how the Japanese studios produce them it's a miracle anything looks as half as good as it does.
I don't "think" it was, it was fairly well known to the public that it was a massive trainwreck during production. There is no excuse for a show that had its first episode done over 6 months in advance to turn out as bad as Shingeki no Kyojin did during production, hell the tv broadcast of an episode was delayed for a week and replaced with a rushed recap so they could even finish it! I'm not even sure how some of the latter half turned out to be not completely terrible. The BD versions are pretty acceptable but I would never put a show like Shingeki no Kyojin on the level of everything else that's been mentioned in the discussion.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 29, 2015

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Attack on Titan is a great show, but the animation itself is very standard and there's absolutely nothing that sets it out from other stuff. Tetsuro Araki really doesn't bring his own style to things, and rather just tries to be faithful to how the manga looks and feels. Which is cool for adaptations, and he does a good job of it, but there's nothing amazing about it.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I feel the animation is perfect serviceable considering the unique art style.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

the goal of all art, to be serviceable

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m9CcnL9FEk

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hi, I've watched a few anime series but am not hugely familiar with the medium as a whole. I have a low tolerance for cutesy humour and extremely stylised anime stuff, and prefer serious storylines. I will probably watch the English dub.

Of those I've seen:

God-tier
Patlabor 2
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Psychopass
The new NGE films (sans the third so far) and End of Evangelion

Good (in order)
Patlabor The Movie
Ergo Proxy
Akira
Cowboy Bebop
Attack on Titan
NGE the original series
(So far, up to ep 17) Darker Than Black

Okay
Trigun
Patlabor III
Aldnoah
Hellsing OVAs

There are others I haven't fully watched so can't properly judge, but from what I saw I did not like Fate/Zero, Future Diary and Baccano, all of which had aspects which majorly put me off (that married couple in Baccano, hoooooollllyyyy fuuuuuuuckkkk). Hence why there's no bad/poo poo tier above, since I'm not going to watch a full series of bad. I've watched a little of Planetes too which wasn't obviously bad but didn't grab me.

There are a few I can't remember. I've got monster and Ghost in the Shell stuff somewhere, and I'll get around to them once I'm done with Darker Than Black.

Edit: added Psychopass to god-tier*. Loved that show.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jan 30, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The Big O comes to mind as a good, serious show with a good dub. Anime Batman! But with giant robots! which I guess would be par for the course for anime Batman. Anyway, it's good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

watch black lagoon and jormungand

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Neurosis posted:

Hi, I've watched a few anime series but am not hugely familiar with the medium as a whole. I have a low tolerance for cutesy humour and extremely stylised anime stuff, and prefer serious storylines. I will probably watch the English dub.

Princes Mononoke (not to be confused with simply "Mononoke") is a classic with a great theme and really nothing that qualifies as "cutesy." It's my #1 gateway drug for people who are interested in the medium, and if you haven't seen it you really should. I would classify the english dub as "acceptable."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's disney run dub so it's full of people who are at least talented.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

DamnGlitch posted:

It's disney run dub so it's full of people who are at least talented.

Yeah, I mean they can emote and poo poo. It's still odd to me to hear Billy Bob's voice coming out of that mercenary though :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I see you didn't list the Patlabor OVA or the tv series, so those would be good options if you're down for more Patlabor.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mushishi and Kino's Journey are both also really good, chill shows that follow the pattern of Protagonist arrives at place > Protagonist encounters situation at place > Protagonist reflects on situation > Situation is sometimes resolved by protagonist, sometimes they let it play out without much interference > Protagonist leaves. It's a little repetitious, but the ideas in both (especially Mushishi) are so imaginative that it never gets stale, and there's some lowkey humor strewn throughout. Both shows have dubs where the protagonist has a great voice and the characters of the day are hit-or-miss.

Afro Samurai is a fun action show that has Samuel L. Jackson in the dub.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Just started watching Mushishi (apparently started watching 2nd season first) and I have fallen in love with it! Fantastic pacing for a really relaxing anime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thread title is not a joke.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

The thread title is not a joke.
Yeah seriously, Legend of the Galactic Heroes is Zeus-tier

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I assume you've seen both seasons of Psycho-Pass? Given your choices there's 0 chance that you won't love GITS - I'd personally recommend the series over the movie. You should definitely watch them ASAP!

Please give Planetes a second try, it has some lovely episodes especially early on IIRC but it's really loving good.

I will second the recommendation of Princess Mononoke and also my regular pimping of The Wings of Honneamise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I assume you've seen both seasons of Psycho-Pass? Given your choices there's 0 chance that you won't love GITS - I'd personally recommend the series over the movie. You should definitely watch them ASAP!

Please give Planetes a second try, it has some lovely episodes especially early on IIRC but it's really loving good.

I will second the recommendation of Princess Mononoke and also my regular pimping of The Wings of Honneamise.

I wouldn't put either Ghost in the Shell above the other - except Arise, that was silly. Go watch both the original movie, Stand Alone Complex, and SAC 2nd Gig.

Also - and this is not a joke recommendation - Puelle Magi Madoka Magica. Same writer as the original Psycho-Pass, and also Fate-Zero, which you might also like.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
For some reason I really dislike the art in Fate/X anime and Kara no Kyoukai. It's like the artists went overboard with gradients and even though technically it looks pretty it doesn't impress me at all. I'll take the look of something like Princess Mononoke or weird poo poo like Ping Pong over that any day. Anyone else feels the same or am I just dumb?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really like the gradients and think it fits the shows, but I can see why someone wouldn't.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ufotable is actually not a very good animation studio.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

For some reason I really dislike the art in Fate/X anime and Kara no Kyoukai. It's like the artists went overboard with gradients and even though technically it looks pretty it doesn't impress me at all. I'll take the look of something like Princess Mononoke or weird poo poo like Ping Pong over that any day. Anyone else feels the same or am I just dumb?

Ping pong is loving beautiful, don't disrespect it!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lordfrikk posted:

I take it you're not a Persona fan?

Anyway I don't think you're dumb though it is kind of an unusual preference I suppose. I think they look pretty great.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ViggyNash posted:

Also - and this is not a joke recommendation - Puelle Magi Madoka Magica. Same writer as the original Psycho-Pass, and also Fate-Zero, which you might also like.
He didn't like F/Z.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

Ufotable is actually not a very good animation studio.
Disagreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

RabidWeasel posted:

Ping pong is loving beautiful, don't disrespect it!

Yeah, it was meant as a compliment, sorry that didn't make it across :v:

Nate RFB posted:

I take it you're not a Persona fan?

I haven't played/watched any of the Persona games or shows so I wouldn't know. I just watched the first vid on YT that Google spat out and I think it looks perfectly fine.

The Fate/Stay Night anime (and Kara no Kyoukai) has this weird bloom-y, blurred, too-smooth-for-me look. I'm not sure if my command of the English language is good enough to enunciate what bugs me about it, though.

• Locked thread