Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

And do any of these book coders/downloaders tend to get lawsuits? That's why I'm cautious about such grey legalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm going to assume that Lynch is making these statements in order to more easily get confirmed, until I see otherwise. But she will probably not be as good as Holder on some issues, that's for sure. Holder was a pretty good AG compared to previous ones.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Grouchio posted:

And do any of these book coders/downloaders tend to get lawsuits? That's why I'm cautious about such grey legalities.
Hahahahah

But seriously folks, i have run across a few books (on bookzz) that have had the links deleted due to receiving notices. If your that worried about it just use Tor, they use direct links to the file so it's not like your ip will be getting exposed a whole bunch. And considering the low rate of notices for people who are getting tracked down by large orgs like MPAA/RIAA, I doubt there are a while lot of people dedicated to tracking down textbook downloaders.

Moreover, until they start dropping prices on these drat things, gently caress em.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

site posted:

Hahahahah

But seriously folks, i have run across a few books (on bookzz) that have had the links deleted due to receiving notices. If your that worried about it just use Tor, they use direct links to the file so it's not like your ip will be getting exposed a whole bunch. And considering the low rate of notices for people who are getting tracked down by large orgs like MPAA/RIAA, I doubt there are a while lot of people dedicated to tracking down textbook downloaders.

Moreover, until they start dropping prices on these drat things, gently caress em.

The textbook manufacturers are handling this more maturely than the RIAA anyway - they're shifting most of their stuff to their own digital service so you can't pirate it, and it's still a lot cheaper than the real book (though it's also usually limited access, ~180 days).

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

My probability teacher e-mailed our class a 4shared link to our textbook.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

If you're the guy who's uploading the books/codes you might get hit, but no one has the money to bust every random college kid stealing his biology book.

It's the same reason lawsuits from the RIAA/MPAA for file sharers are way down, courts started demanding they provide real roof of who did it and they couldn't afford it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Majorian posted:

Please don't do that. Most of us Christians aren't like these jerks.

e: I mean, I know you're being facetious and don't really mean it, but still. Find something else that they love, like a photo of Billy Graham, or a DVD of Kirk Cameron's latest cinematic abortion.

But are you willing to swear an oath to Murrica and denounce those other xtians?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Swagger Dagger posted:

My probability teacher e-mailed our class a 4shared link to our textbook.
That's a pretty cool prof

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

An Angry Bug posted:

The SMG of D&D, everyone.

That's an insult to smg. He usually makes valid points and has supporting evidence.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Nintendo Kid posted:

...which is why it's a weasel term ISPs can use to imply to the public they're getting broadband while not actually providing it. Christ.

I'm flattered.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Radbot posted:

I'm flattered.

You're flattered that you didn't understand a simple post the first time? You sure are easy to please.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Of the 246 amendments proposed to S. 1 (and of the forty or so that received consideration on the floor), four passed. The House will now have to reconsider the bill and pass it before Obama vetoes it. Here are those amendments.

S. Amdt. 3 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Portman). Promotes energy efficiency.

S. Amdt. 29 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Whitehouse). To express the sense of the Senate that climate change is real and not a hoax.

S. Amdt. 123 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Murkowski). To express the sense of the Senate that all forms of unrefined and unprocessed petroleum should be subject to the nominal per-barrel excise tax associated with the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund.

S. Amdt. 126 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Cornyn). To ensure private property is protected as guaranteed by the United States Constitution.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

S. Amdt. 123 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Murkowski). To express the sense of the Senate that all forms of unrefined and unprocessed petroleum should be subject to the nominal per-barrel excise tax associated with the Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund.
Being a Republican I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but my respect for Lisa has dropped pretty fast since October. This isn't even to actually set up the fund, it's only to express "the sense of the Senate" that it should be done. What a crock of poo poo.

e: I mean, I know the bill's getting vetoed anyways, but it's the principle of the thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
B-b-b-b-b-but the con-stit-u-shunnnnnnnnn.

quote:

SEC. __. SENSE OF SENATE REGARDING THE OIL SPILL LIABILITY
TRUST FUND.

It is the sense of the Senate that--
(1) Congress should approve a bill to ensure that all forms
of bitumen or synthetic crude oil derived from bitumen are
subject to the per-barrel excise tax associated with the Oil
Spill Liability Trust Fund established by section 9509 of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
(2) it is necessary for Congress to approve a bill
described in paragraph (1) because the Internal Revenue
Service determined in 2011 that certain forms of petroleum
are not subject to the per-barrel excise tax;
(3) under article I, section 7, clause 1 of the
Constitution, the Senate may not originate a bill to raise
new revenue, and thus may not originate a bill to close the
legitimate and unintended loophole described in paragraph
(2);
(4) if the Senate attempts to originate a bill described in
paragraph (1), it would provide a substantive basis for a
``blue slip'' from the House of Representatives, which would
prevent advancement of the bill; and
(5) the House of Representatives, consistent with article
I, section 7, clause 1 of the Constitution, should consider
and refer to the Senate a bill to ensure that all forms of
bitumen or synthetic crude oil derived from bitumen are
subject to the per-barrel excise tax associated with the Oil
Spill Liability Trust Fund established by section 9509 of the
Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

effectual posted:

That's an insult to smg. He usually makes valid points and has supporting evidence.

SMG is entertaining and funny, Rahm.exe is just obnoxious and boring.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Guilty posted:

SMG is entertaining and funny, Rahm.exe is just obnoxious and boring.
They're both annoying, but Rahm is just awful.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
John Kerry has received a citation from the city of Boston for failure to shovel his sidewalk, a $50/day fine.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

B-b-b-b-b-but the con-stit-u-shunnnnnnnnn.
I know that you're joking, but as far as I can tell that's not even what the clause says lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm having trouble understanding how, Mitt Romney actually thinks he has a shot at running again. It just stuns me that there's a big chunk of the Republican Party not just behind him but that he has a chance at winning.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I'm having trouble understanding how, Mitt Romney actually think he has a shot at running again. It just stuns me that there's a big chunk of the Republican Party not just behind him but that he has a chance at winning.
I double don't know how he's going to speak against Obamacare this time, I only single didnt know last time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Tab8715 posted:

I'm having trouble understanding how, Mitt Romney actually thinks he has a shot at running again. It just stuns me that there's a big chunk of the Republican Party not just behind him but that he has a chance at winning.

"Presidential ambition is a disease which can only be cured by embalming fluid." ~ Mo Udall / Estes Kefauver.

Udall would also, later, say, "If nominated I will run -- for the Mexican border. If elected, I will fight extradition."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, "We've got a former Presidential candidate on the other side who suddenly is just deeply concerned about poverty. (Laughter.) That's great! Let's go! Come on! Let's do something about it!" ~ Barack Obama

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I double don't know how he's going to speak against Obamacare this time, I only single didnt know last time.

Republicans on why a more extensive welfare state can't work in America the way it does in Europe:

"Well, erm, you see, in Europe they don't have the...erm...demographics issues...I mean, America is a more diverse country with more different kinds of problems..."

Mitt Romney on why Romneycare can't work in the rest of the united states the way it does in Massechusetts:

"Well, erm, you see, in Massechusetts we don't have the...erm...demographics issues...I mean, the united states is a diverse place with a lot of different situations..."

In each case, it translates to "Because then the Undesireables would use it!"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "We've got a former Presidential candidate on the other side who suddenly is just deeply concerned about poverty. (Laughter.) That's great! Let's go! Come on! Let's do something about it!" ~ Barack Obama

Larry Wilmore was right, he just doesn't give a gently caress any more. :allears:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Larry Wilmore was right, he just doesn't give a gently caress any more. :allears:

It's like the entire terrible history of the US just falls away as we bask in the glow of Trollbama.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're flattered that you didn't understand a simple post the first time? You sure are easy to please.

You just agreed with him

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you're the guy who's uploading the books/codes you might get hit, but no one has the money to bust every random college kid stealing his biology book.

It's the same reason lawsuits from the RIAA/MPAA for file sharers are way down, courts started demanding they provide real roof of who did it and they couldn't afford it.

That's not why the RIAA stopped suing individuals. They stopped because the lawsuits didn't decrease downloading and had a hugely negative PR impact.

Source: talking to a former RIAA general counsel.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Joementum posted:

S. Amdt. 126 to S. Amdt. 2 to S. 1 (Cornyn). To ensure private property is protected as guaranteed by the United States Constitution.

Is Cornyn anti-KXL? This seems like it would throw up a huge roadblock for the whole process, since it specifically targets the use of eminent domain for the benefit of a foreign corporation.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He took the bait!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joementum posted:

He took the bait!

Boy Mitt, that sure sounds bad. With all that bad stuff, what was with the guy Obama ran against in 2012 that made the country decide to stick with Obama for a second term and deal with all that bad stuff?

e: WHAT ABOUT THE VERY POOR MITT? STILL NOT CONCERNED?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 30, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kalman posted:

Source: talking to a former RIAA general counsel.
How often to people laugh in your face when you tell people that irl?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mineaiki posted:

Is Cornyn anti-KXL? This seems like it would throw up a huge roadblock for the whole process, since it specifically targets the use of eminent domain for the benefit of a foreign corporation.

His amendment is, well, not very specific.

quote:

(Purpose: To ensure private property is protected as guaranteed by the
United States Constitution)

At the end add the following:
(e) Private Property Protection.--Land or an interest in
land for the pipeline and cross-border facilities described
in subsection (a) may only be acquired consistently with the
Constitution.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

He took the bait!

Yeeeeeeeees :getin:

Trollbama is the best. :allears:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

He took the bait!

Can't wait to read his Hooveresque plan for getting America out of the Depression.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

If this country elects Mitt Romney on an anti-poverty platform in 2016, I might actually kill myself.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Joementum posted:

His amendment is, well, not very specific.

Ah, so this is so he can go home and say "look at this CONSTITUSHUNAL thing I did."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Can't wait to read his Hooveresque plan for getting America out of the Depression.

Well, you see, first we starve 47% of the population......

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

1. Taxes are holding us back!
2. Immigration is holding us back!
3. Food stamps are holding us back!
4. Regulation is holding us back!
5. The police barricades are holding us back!
6. The State is holding us back!
7. The agrarian stockpiles are holding us back!

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me

Joementum posted:

He took the bait!

LMAO mitt romney is such an unbelievable piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

eternalname posted:

LMAO mitt romney is such an unbelievable piece of poo poo.

He's not wrong, but he's also not right.

• Locked thread